Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Thanks fam :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

I thought all the Bosch dishwasher love was specific to the 800 series, are the 3/500 series also higher than normal quality

I have posted before professing my admiration for the 300. It's excellent. Even without the superior rack bearings. Definitely noticeably better than the typical KitchenAid/Whirlpool/Amana/GE machines that we have across US households. It's the Apple of dishwashers, many of the little aspects have a bit more thought put into them than normal, enough so that everything just works without much maintenance if you follow the well written manual.

That being said I had a great couple of pro installers that I paid for, I can't speak to the installation difficulty, there's quite a bit to it (if you're a pansy like me) and they come with their own electrical kit that you must use in certain circumstances etc.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 27, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We hand washed for the weekend to avoid any further issues with the leaky dishwasher, and my hands are cracked to hell. We hand wash a good chunk of stuff anyways, but the equilibrium was thrown off and my skin is going separate ways.

I need a glove filled with O’Keefes or something to keep up the repairs.

Edit: searching for replacement parts for an appliance is a whole different internet country and I do not speak the language.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 27, 2022

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I'll be going through an install of the 800 in early January when it arrives, we only paid for haul away.

It doesn't look too difficult, hardwiring the power is fairly simple and everything else is connecting to the same pipes as before. Luckily the old dishwasher is taller so all I have to do is adjust the levelers/spacers a bit on the bottom of it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I missed Washer/Dryer chat a page or three back, but I've went deep down the rabbit hole of Washing Machines and come out the other end with what I feel actually the most correct option for Washing Machines:

Maytag MVWP575GW

For a lot of reasons, this thing kicks rear end: It's simple, the components are basically a tier above anything else. It's not a dogshit Samsung or LG ordeal. It's quite repairable. It has a 10 year warranty on basically everything. I've had it in my house for 4 years now without issues and I'm pretty happy that I spent the time understanding Washing Machines.

Note, that there is a model 576. I know nothing about the 576's components are it's build process, but it seems like that it's a 'quality cut down' of the 575. Some people still offer the 576 with a 10 year warranty, but Lowe's services the warranty on the 576 at just 1 year which is a Mt. Everest-sized red flag.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 27, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
For not much more you can get a Speed Queen with analog dials.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

nwin posted:

Yeah we’re happy with the neighborhood. It’s just weird that it’s non-stop with this cookie thing. It’d be one thing if they just did it for the holidays, but they did it through an entire year. We’ve got two young kids so keeping up with them is hard enough without having to bake something on demand. Most of the families here moved in 15-20 years ago and their kids all grew up so they’ve got some more free time under their belts.
You don't have to bake on demand, just don't keep the plate more than a month. Buy some frozen cookie dough and it takes 20 minutes tops to be on good terms with your neighbors. Then the retired people will keep watch on your house, make sure no porch pirates get your packages, let you know when your car light is on, feed your cat when you go on vacation, babysit your kids. A plate of cookies every few months is a cheap enough price to get in nice with a bunch of people that surround you!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

First winter in my new house and I'm starting to discover the cold spots, and wondering how I can improve it for next winter. Just for reference, I live in Duluth MN and we can have weeks of temps at -20 to 0F.

My house was built in 1908. Its got a stucco exterior thats in good shape, and was built using something called Natco hollow tile, which is like some sort of clay tile that used to get used. As far as I can tell there is no way to really pump in spray foam to the walls to add insulation there, and it doesnt seem like its that necessary.

Where I was going to try and spray foam is this small room that was an add-on from like 1910. Beneath it is the old coal room and coal chute from the outside. Thinking I can spray foam that completely shut and see if that helps. The attic is finished and has pretty good insulation in the ceiling. Brand new high end Pella windows in the whole house.

Not sure what else I can do to help with heating bills and cold spots. Thinking maybe a few doors could be replaced with something that seal a bit better but doors are such a giant pain in the rear end to get right that I never want to do one on my own again.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

BaseballPCHiker posted:

First winter in my new house and I'm starting to discover the cold spots, and wondering how I can improve it for next winter. Just for reference, I live in Duluth MN and we can have weeks of temps at -20 to 0F.

My house was built in 1908. Its got a stucco exterior thats in good shape, and was built using something called Natco hollow tile, which is like some sort of clay tile that used to get used. As far as I can tell there is no way to really pump in spray foam to the walls to add insulation there, and it doesnt seem like its that necessary.

Where I was going to try and spray foam is this small room that was an add-on from like 1910. Beneath it is the old coal room and coal chute from the outside. Thinking I can spray foam that completely shut and see if that helps. The attic is finished and has pretty good insulation in the ceiling. Brand new high end Pella windows in the whole house.

Not sure what else I can do to help with heating bills and cold spots. Thinking maybe a few doors could be replaced with something that seal a bit better but doors are such a giant pain in the rear end to get right that I never want to do one on my own again.

Are your window frames well sealed? We have a similar age house with new windows, but the exterior fixtures needed to be resealed - made a significant difference this year

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

therobit posted:

For not much more you can get a Speed Queen with analog dials.

Aren't they really hard on clothes and very water inefficient?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Upgrade posted:

Are your window frames well sealed? We have a similar age house with new windows, but the exterior fixtures needed to be resealed - made a significant difference this year

They seem to be. It was windy as all hell this past week, gusts up over 50 mph and I didnt feel any drafts.

I think I may just be hitting the limits of improving the insulation of the house, at least from a DIY perspective. It was recently remodeled and they seemed to have reasonably tackled a lot of these tasks already. Anything I think I can do is likely to be an incremental improvement.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Muir posted:

Yes, top load washers with agitators in general are harder on clothes and much less water inefficient than their front load counterparts.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Muir posted:

but they're fast!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Muir posted:

I think that’s overstating it a bit. If you are a big fan of fast fashion then maybe. They are not as water efficient as a front loader, but OP was already looking at a top loader. A Speed Queen will last decades and will get your clothes cleaner than a front loader will, and won’t take on the funk that front loader will. Durable goods should be durable, not something you have to throw away after 7-10 years like a Samsung washer.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

posting to remind people that speed queens destroy your clothes and are entirely unneeded unless you’re literally an auto mechanic covered in oil at the end of your shift

speed queen hype is painfully overblown

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Those clothes don’t deserve to live

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

750 bucks to replace the backflow preventer on my sprinkler system. Expensive lesson learned.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They seem to be. It was windy as all hell this past week, gusts up over 50 mph and I didnt feel any drafts.

If you're trying to maximize thermal efficiency this isn't good enough.

Go rent a thermal imiaging camera from LoesDepot or wherever. You want to go both inside and outside of your house on a cold day. This will help you catch both the low hanging fruit as well as potential longer term projects/solutions.

Particular things to check-

- AROUND windows and doors - very often replacement window frames aren't properly sealed behind the interior trim and/or the interior trim isn't caulked to the walls. This is going to lead to leaking and drafts.
- Attic access inside, especially hatches
- All penetrations into the home from both sides. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, sanitary sewer stack, exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchen, dryer vent (the last few are supposed o have flaps that often get stuck or break and are now letting in cold air unless they are in use pushing air out)
- Every wall. You may actually see where insulation has been and fell down/settled
- The entire roof - don't even need the TIC for this if you got some snow recently. You can tell a lot about how homes around you are insulated in general and relative to other homes just by driving around looking at snow on roofs as it starts to melt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therobit posted:

I think that’s overstating it a bit. If you are a big fan of fast fashion then maybe. They are not as water efficient as a front loader, but OP was already looking at a top loader.
I don't wear fast fashion. I do wear a lot of knits, which need more delicate handling. The new front-loader treats them more gently than our old top-loader. If I were still dressing for work, I wore a lot of rayon and washable silk, which again a Speed Queen would tear to shreds after a couple of washes. I think this may partly be a gender thing: I'm a lot more likely to wear lightweight and delicate fabrics than somebody who's just washing jeans, business shirts, and T-shirts.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I expect to be able to hand my washing machine down to my grandchildren

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Then you had best start lifting weights

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

moana posted:

You don't have to bake on demand, just don't keep the plate more than a month. Buy some frozen cookie dough and it takes 20 minutes tops to be on good terms with your neighbors. Then the retired people will keep watch on your house, make sure no porch pirates get your packages, let you know when your car light is on, feed your cat when you go on vacation, babysit your kids. A plate of cookies every few months is a cheap enough price to get in nice with a bunch of people that surround you!

What you're describing is racketeering.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't wear fast fashion. I do wear a lot of knits, which need more delicate handling. The new front-loader treats them more gently than our old top-loader. If I were still dressing for work, I wore a lot of rayon and washable silk, which again a Speed Queen would tear to shreds after a couple of washes. I think this may partly be a gender thing: I'm a lot more likely to wear lightweight and delicate fabrics than somebody who's just washing jeans, business shirts, and T-shirts.

Neither my wife nor I have had any issues with our Speed Queen set in the last two years :shrug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Today is day one of my basement wall repair. We're having a great time here. I had to cut out the drain pipe for my kitchen sink as it conflicted with the spacing, engineering couldn't approve a move of the support. Also the hot water is off because someone shot a nail into it to put blocking in. Also the structure is exposed and this hot water was plainly visible. Not a huge issue, just kinda funny.

The good news was it gave me the push to cut out a section of that drain pipe that had a negative slope and it turns out... Was collecting grease and was about halfway full with foul smelling grease and debris! This was about 12' away from the sink, so I'm guessing my hottest water poured in wasn't able to melt that by this point.

I can't wait to see what's next! They're digging a trench later so, almost certainly something.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Omg I causually look out at the equipment and see that my cat is out there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what could go wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9oMPXzrbH8&t=3s

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

What you're describing is racketeering.

My new neighbor dropped off a lb of See's candy unexpectedly because I told her about a gas leak on Friday morning (Dec 23). Gasco came by the same night and told her it was indeed a leak in the meter, safe for now, and today they came by to finalize the repair.

I highly encourage this type of behavior. Especially since we share a 0-setback lot line where I've installed a super ugly swale against the back of my garage and office. I need her to remain a swale neighbor. :v: Sadly we opened it (and I don't think anyone ate a single piece) on christmas at the in-laws house because my kid threw a brick over the fence at the other neighbors house among other things and now I need to bring them something to say I'm sorry.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

StormDrain posted:

He knows what's up.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

if you have nice clothes you should be washing only on cold, delicates and hang drying

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

StormDrain posted:

hahaha, classic

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thankful most of the manly clothing I own can be shoved in my front loader washer and machine dried. When I worked in an office I tried to see if I could get the button shirts to come out of the dryer without ironing but never could. So I take those to the cleaners for $3 per shirt or whatever to avoid ironing. If I had to wear business clothes every day I might iron myself to save the money.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Upgrade posted:

if you have nice clothes you should be washing only on cold, delicates and hang drying

If your clothes are too delicate for a tumble dry on very low/no heat, they're too delicate to hang, too, and need to be dried flat or dry-cleaned. Knits generally shouldn't be hung at all, wet or dry, but for clothes that don't last as long (like tee shirts) it's less of an issue; if all the necks are stretched out and you don't have an insanely abnormally large head, hanging is the reason. You will still stretch out woven dress shirts hanging them straight out of the washer, but maybe you don't own them long enough for it to be a problem.

On most machines you probably do have to use cold and/or delicate settings with a lot of clothes, but there are a lot of variables. I have a mid-range Whirlpool set; the washer is a top loader with removable agitator (that I only use for towels/bath mats) and the dryer has three dryness settings and several temp settings, with a working moisture sensor (I don't use dryer sheets, which I've heard can screw with the sensors). You can put clothes in the dryer on very low heat and have it stop when they're damp so you can finish them flat, dryish so they press easier, or fully dry, and it works exactly as it should. Of my nice clothes, the only ones that really need a cold and/or delicate cycle are non-superwash wool and silk. Everything else is just fine on cool or warm in a regular cycle.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wool is the cast iron skillet of the clothing world

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We stopped using dryer sheets like ten years ago and my wife bought a set of 10 or so dryer balls which are like round stuffed balls of soft fabric. We don't miss the dryer sheets at all

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had some extra spray foam left over from repairing the wall so this afternoon I did some air sealing of all the penetrations. We have a bump-out section that extends beyond the basement footprint which is definitely not well air sealed, so I used some extra foam board and the spray to block off those joist bays.

I’m not sure why I didn’t do this years ago, I can tell an immediate difference. Eventually I want to have someone do a full 3”+ spray foam treatment of the rim joists but that is a ways down the road.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

skipdogg posted:

750 bucks to replace the backflow preventer on my sprinkler system. Expensive lesson learned.

Man, I hope you didn’t get scammed but it feels like you got scammed. The guts of those valves come in a $20 replacement kit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone have a humidifier they really like? I think I need one that I can just pour a jug of water into, rather than something where I have to take out a tank and fill it directly at the faucet. And I'm looking for something that would cover the whole 700 sqft main floor, so it's probably gonna have to be a big evaporative one with a filter, rather than a mister.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KS posted:

Man, I hope you didn’t get scammed but it feels like you got scammed. The guts of those valves come in a $20 replacement kit.

That sounds like holiday snap freeze "everyone needs a plumber right now you pay what we say" pricing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

If your clothes are too delicate for a tumble dry on very low/no heat, they're too delicate to hang, too, and need to be dried flat or dry-cleaned. Knits generally shouldn't be hung at all, wet or dry, but for clothes that don't last as long (like tee shirts) it's less of an issue; if all the necks are stretched out and you don't have an insanely abnormally large head, hanging is the reason. You will still stretch out woven dress shirts hanging them straight out of the washer, but maybe you don't own them long enough for it to be a problem.

On most machines you probably do have to use cold and/or delicate settings with a lot of clothes, but there are a lot of variables. I have a mid-range Whirlpool set; the washer is a top loader with removable agitator (that I only use for towels/bath mats) and the dryer has three dryness settings and several temp settings, with a working moisture sensor (I don't use dryer sheets, which I've heard can screw with the sensors). You can put clothes in the dryer on very low heat and have it stop when they're damp so you can finish them flat, dryish so they press easier, or fully dry, and it works exactly as it should. Of my nice clothes, the only ones that really need a cold and/or delicate cycle are non-superwash wool and silk. Everything else is just fine on cool or warm in a regular cycle.

I’m going to run for president on a platform of requiring all dresses to have pockets and instituting the death penalty for anyone who sells clothing with the instructions “lay flat to dry.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Anyone have a humidifier they really like? I think I need one that I can just pour a jug of water into, rather than something where I have to take out a tank and fill it directly at the faucet. And I'm looking for something that would cover the whole 700 sqft main floor, so it's probably gonna have to be a big evaporative one with a filter, rather than a mister.

Aprilaire 800

"A jug of water" won't last more than a couple hours around here in any place more than a few hundred square feet. So you probably want to talk about your location, your home sealing/insulation and how it's heated to get a reasonable suggestion. Which will likely be some variant of an 800 anyway.