Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else ever get bummed out thinking about how different the state of VR might be in 2022 if it had taken the world by storm like all of these companies were initially hoping for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EbolaIvory posted:

Its an android phone that isn't locked down. Side loading just works. Hell if you use the thing in the USA you'll have to sideload the mobile app if you want to do the whole register device for free poo poo stuff. They're not a lock it down kinda company it seems.

In the file manager (there's a straight up file manager in the quick launch bar) there's a specific tab for APKs, so it looks to me like sideloading is perfectly enabled.

Anyway I ordered this at 4pm this afternoon and it arrived at 8:30, the wonders of modern worker abuse.

It feels a lot like unboxing the original Quest with how thought out the box is, the Q2 everyone said felt like it was cut corners all the way and this one's real fun with how everything's put together. Though maybe didn't need quite as many protective stickers. It is stupidly comfortable and way easier to slip on and off compared to the Quest, both with BoboVR strap and with the regular strap. This is probably helped by the face cushion being an actual covered padding layer and not the raw foam on the Q2. I don't know if it's actually thicker but it feels like it moulds to my face way better. It also feels lighter just when I pick it up, not just on the head. Also the real killer app, a nose flap to block out light bleed included in the box along with the glasses spacer. The feeling I got while unboxing everything was that this feels like the Quest if all the additional stuff you buy for the Quest to make it comfortable is just in the box.

Redeeming the free games was hella easy, I just logged in with the Pico username I made earlier and they all popped up in the library immediately. So I have Walkabout all ready to go. Haven't actually played anything yet, things are still installing but I'm gonna try PC stuff through the Pico software and some standalone stuff. I might also link my Tiktok account because Tiktok VR sounds like my kind of deranged. It was also interesting to see a bunch of video streaming apps pre-installed, Amazon Prime, Youtube, Twitch, Apple TV etc. I assume those are just the regular Android apps. The browser certainly looks like regular rear end Chrome. The fitness stuff also looks pretty neat, I plugged my basic info in and it actually generated a basic fitness plan with recommended games. I got Les Mills Bodycombat free with the promo so I'll give that a try.

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else ever get bummed out thinking about how different the state of VR might be in 2022 if it had taken the world by storm like all of these companies were initially hoping for?
Yeah, but Facebook spent the 2 years since there looked to finally be a major uptake in devices working hard to make VR the least cool thing possible so it's entirely self inflicted on a corporate level.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roundboy posted:

Too many native VR games are toned down versions then what is available on PCVR

Red matter 2 was billed as a perfect equal to an already great game, with great reviews. It came out completely mediocre and lots of reviews here reflect that.

uh...

RM2 had slightly better reviews than RM1

also better user scores

I also agree with that. How is 'completely mediocre' ? It looks better, it is longer, it has a lil' more variation in puzzles. I am struggling to think what person would think the game is mediocre AND also think the first one was 'great'.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

This is the state of PCVR and the level of garbage that still floods the market on PC.

this isn't even remotely limited to VR and is rather a "problem" with the completely free and open marketplace model of steam/itch and similar stores, but just because a game is on there doesn't mean you have to play it :v:

i buy like 2-3 games a year these days and they're all amazing games, who cares if there's a gorillion copies of shovelware on the other shelves?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

-PC VR doesn't sell enough. In general, we can even forget about the 'vr ' label and still say the same. if you think about it, few pc-exclusive with intensive hw requirements sell well anymore, most games are multiplatform at this point: MS publishes its stuff on PC too, and Sony is starting to do it too. The entire market has moved in that direction, both the console manufacturers, and the past typical pc-centric companies (15 years ago there were more pc exclusives than now). So it seems companies want to maximize profit by publishing in all possible platforms. This is a clue already. Some people think it's pure greed, and while that always play a role, maybe it's the need to offset rising dev costs.
I wonder how much the GPU drought of the past couple of years has affected that. It's hard to develop for current-gen hardware when a lot of your potential customers either can't buy or can't afford current-gen hardware. I feel like this has especially affected the VR market, which already has higher GPU performance requirements than an equivalent non-VR game.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

this isn't even remotely limited to VR and is rather a "problem" with the completely free and open marketplace model of steam/itch and similar stores, but just because a game is on there doesn't mean you have to play it :v:

i buy like 2-3 games a year these days and they're all amazing games, who cares if there's a gorillion copies of shovelware on the other shelves?

Yeah but this is my point. Quality to Garbage ratios matter. Thats all. :)

njsykora posted:

It feels a lot like unboxing the original Quest with how thought out the box is,

This was my feeling too.

Also, those battery covers on the controllers? Yeah, that shits dope as gently caress. Basically little gun magazines for 2 AA batteries. This means no sliding covers. TAKE NOTE META! WE GAVE YOU THIS loving IDEA ON THE QUEST 1 DURING THE VIDEO SHOOTS FOR THE QUEST FDLJKJSFKL:JDS:LF

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 27, 2022

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

uh...

RM2 had slightly better reviews than RM1

also better user scores

I also agree with that. How is 'completely mediocre' ? It looks better, it is longer, it has a lil' more variation in puzzles. I am struggling to think what person would think the game is mediocre AND also think the first one was 'great'.

I got tricked? It's similar to bonelabs most recently. Game of the century, a must buy, in fact, buy it twice and it will cure all your problems, etc.

After the 'real' reviews came out it was just okay and only worth it at steep discount. I believed when it was said RM2 was a revolution from the first one and it just wasn't worth it at full price. Even on discount I would be hard pressed to recommend it

Never again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, speaking of PC VR, this video is a nice summary of mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMlsytBuwQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Further Pico thoughts.

The controllers are way better for Walkabout, with the Q2 controllers the tracking ring always gets in the way of how I want to hold the controller like a putter. The dashboard is nice and snappy, not nearly as laggy and slow as the Q2 is. Might be new device bias but the Q2 never felt quick in the dashboard to me, even when new. Tried out Les Mills Bodycombat and enjoyed it, having a more focused and directed workout is something I appreciate since Supernatural is STILL not available in the UK. Didn't have any tracking issues like some of the early reviews mentioned. The main thing I'm missing right now is a video player, the Pico Video app works decently but it doesn't connect to Plex so I can't use that for my 3D stuff. Might see if there's a decent player I can sideload at some point. I'm also still undecided on the native PC streaming app, it goes straight into SteamVR which is nice but does limit my options for launching other VR stuff I have on the PC. But also I really don't want to buy VD again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Q2 can't support the new AV1 codec, right?

The bitrates for some of these streamed video things are just rear end

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No, it seems almost certain the next Snapdragon XR chip will though so it’ll almost certainly be in the Quest 3.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I tried connecting my headset to pc through air link by first connecting it through a cable like was mentioned earlier, but it wouldn’t find my pc through air link and had to use the cable option instead. Or is there a way to pair them through air link once they’re connected through the cable? I couldn’t find a way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

So I tried connecting my headset to pc through air link by first connecting it through a cable like was mentioned earlier, but it wouldn’t find my pc through air link and had to use the cable option instead. Or is there a way to pair them through air link once they’re connected through the cable? I couldn’t find a way.

No, on Quest you have to choose one or the other. If AirLink is enabled you can't use a cable.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

veni veni veni posted:

No. We got a glimpse of exactly what will happen when VR goes mainstream, and it's all walled gardens attempting to recoup their hardware losses.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So this is annoying, trying to play PC games with the Pico both through Picolink and Virtual Desktop and in both the games I've tried my regular controllers aren't recognised in-game. My wired Xbox pad and G29 wheel both can navigate the game menus fine but no inputs are taken from either once I'm actually in game. Is there some Steam Input fuckery going on or what? I have no issues with games where I'm using the Pico controllers themselves, VD can even launch the games in my Oculus library.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Had a quest2 for a year now. The low price was a major reason I could convince myself it was a good buy; I'd not have bought it at its current price even if it's probably still a good deal.

I meddled with pcvr but found my gtx1060 rig at the time couldn't really deliver a good experience so stuck with quest games. Was most impressed by stuff like Doom3Quest, but later settled into just playing native Beat Saber. Custom songs and Scoresaber make it a forever game. Even then, the quest got used less and less.

This Christmas, I finally got a 3060ti, Virtual Desktop, and a reasonable router setup, so thought why not try pcvr again? Was blown away by HL Alyx and Asgards Wrath, I mean I've mostly just been tweaking settings and trying stuff but drat I don't wanna go back to native games cept maybe for Beat Saber for the better latency.
Thought No Mans Sky still kinda looked bad but maybe I need to do more tweaking.

The foreseeable future of pcvr seems to be vr mods and ports, I finally bought HL2 for pennies and the VR mod is awesome. They're going to be doing more to it too like making more 3d models and such.

The tech challenges for newbs is massive. I'm a dedicated computer toucher and still there's so many moving parts (e.g, headset software and settings, oculus software, steamvr settings, steam, ingame settings, maybe even openvr stuff, adb drivers, sideloading, and pirating apps).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Turin Turambar posted:

-PC VR doesn't sell enough. In general, we can even forget about the 'vr ' label and still say the same. if you think about it, few pc-exclusive with intensive hw requirements sell well anymore, most games are multiplatform at this point: MS publishes its stuff on PC too, and Sony is starting to do it too. The entire market has moved in that direction, both the console manufacturers, and the past typical pc-centric companies (15 years ago there were more pc exclusives than now). So it seems companies want to maximize profit by publishing in all possible platforms. This is a clue already. Some people think it's pure greed, and while that always play a role, maybe it's the need to offset rising dev costs.
-Quest games sell better than PC VR, we had lots of hints about that over the years. But still not as much as you can sell on a traditional game multi-platform approach. And in addition to how idiosyncratic are VR games as explained on the second point, the Quest has a very different 'graphical target' than any modern pc or modern console, so that already makes porting between both harder if not impossible (if you want to have great experiences on both types of system).
Quest is where the tiny bit of VR spending is at. Developers pump out VR games on Steam even though nobody is buying them

Steam & Sidequest have similar numbers of monthly VR users, so if you can get into app lab you've got a shot at making decent money.
https://twitter.com/beep2bleep/status/1466487463329902597
but in the grand scheme of things, Quest sales are small potatoes too

quote:

Meta's additional spending on even more VR developers comes as Quest 2 headset owners seem to be spending more than ever on software. All told, Meta said today that $1.5 billion had been spent on games and apps on the Quest store since the platform launched in spring 2019. That's up from $1 billion in cumulative app revenue the company announced in February, suggesting VR spending is accelerating at a decent pace.

On the other hand, Meta's 30 percent share from those sales amounts to just $450 million in direct revenue over more than three years. For context, Microsoft recently revealed that it brought in $2.9 billion in revenue just from a single year of Xbox Game Pass console subscriptions, making the VR gaming market seem like a relative drop in the bucket.
Meta should probably be burning even more money on the Quest. The cost to put together a Quest Gold with every half-decent Quest store and app lab game available for a monthly fee would really not be that much relative to what they're burning on their VR division.

Collateral Damage posted:

I wonder how much the GPU drought of the past couple of years has affected that. It's hard to develop for current-gen hardware when a lot of your potential customers either can't buy or can't afford current-gen hardware. I feel like this has especially affected the VR market, which already has higher GPU performance requirements than an equivalent non-VR game.
It's not a coincidence that breakout indie hits (Minecraft, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Undertale, etc) will mostly run on potatoes with a couple wires sticking out because that's what most people have. Even if Bitcoin had never been invented there was never a possibility of mass market VR while the cost of admission was a gaming rig + VR headset. The arc of history was always going to bend towards a cell phone strapped to your face and all that entails. I look forward to Apple's premium cell-phone-on-yo-face.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's not a coincidence that breakout indie hits (Minecraft, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Undertale, etc) will mostly run on potatoes with a couple wires sticking out because that's what most people have. Even if Bitcoin had never been invented there was never a possibility of mass market VR while the cost of admission was a gaming rig + VR headset. The arc of history was always going to bend towards a cell phone strapped to your face and all that entails. I look forward to Apple's premium cell-phone-on-yo-face.

I wouldn't count out PC strapped to your face provided AMD can get RDNA efficient enough. Steam Deck's SoC already hits all the requirements for decent PCVR outside of graphics compute, though 15w is a bit toasty for something head mounted.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I'm actually optimistic for VR because I feel like I've seen enough things that really take advantage of the medium to feel like there's glimpses of really incredible stuff that could exist, and the hardware we have now is so good that all we need is for the software to get made. I don't think it'll necessarily happen on the fast timeline I want, but I think it's pretty inevitable

I also think it's kind of good that the cynical rush of things that would be good for corporations if they became really popular have largely been shunned by users, to me that means that money can't buy everything and good things will still have a chance to exist

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sooner or later affordable wireless VR headsets will have chipsets that are comparable to Apple's M1 Max, and comparable to a gtx 3060, and be able to play games like Alyx.

When those come out, we'll have millions more jump on board, and we'll have a healthy amount of native VR console quality games.

In the meantime, we'll get more 2D games modded for VR as the other goon said. We're in the NES phase of VR as some notable person said.

Regardless, VR won't die as we all know it's the inevitable progression in gaming and entertainment.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SCheeseman posted:

I wouldn't count out PC strapped to your face provided AMD can get RDNA efficient enough. Steam Deck's SoC already hits all the requirements for decent PCVR outside of graphics compute, though 15w is a bit toasty for something head mounted.
I absolutely believe that better things are possible. Lots of people readily strap another pound of batteries to the back of their head, it's conceivable you could put a smaller battery + processor back there. There is precedent.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ChocNitty posted:

VR won't die as we all know it's the inevitable progression in gaming and entertainment.
It needs to be more comfortable.

I never get console nausea and about 20 minutes in Blade and Sorcery made me want to puke.

I handled the VR Spidey swinging game on off the bat, even.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Where can I find a good web swinging web simulator? I tried looking for Spider-man in the quest store and nothing came up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

It needs to be more comfortable.

I never get console nausea and about 20 minutes in Blade and Sorcery made me want to puke.

I handled the VR Spidey swinging game on off the bat, even.

I mean the problem there is the industry's insistence on continuing to use stick locomotion, which is one of the worst kinds for nausea. Hand based locomotion where you use your hands to push and pull on the environment to move around are a lot more comfortable, but for some reason devs don't seem to be picking up on that and using it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably because it only makes sense in certain contexts

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Where can I find a good web swinging web simulator? I tried looking for Spider-man in the quest store and nothing came up.

Try Resist, it involves web-swinging and shooting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's why the armswinger movement model in H3VR is so good even if it makes it hard to run and shoot at the same time.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah but this is my point. Quality to Garbage ratios matter. Thats all. :)

Your point sort of falls off when you consider that what you're actually saying is just "There's a bunch more garbage low effort games on Steam than on the app store because the app store is more curated"(This isn't necessarily true in itself for the app store, but y'know) because this isn't a thing specific to VR, it's just a mobile game vs. PC game thing. Quality to garbage ratios don't really matter, and you can mostly just refer to Sturgeon's Law on this. Really, most people aren't actually playing a ton of new games all the time.

Lemming posted:

I mean the problem there is the industry's insistence on continuing to use stick locomotion, which is one of the worst kinds for nausea. Hand based locomotion where you use your hands to push and pull on the environment to move around are a lot more comfortable, but for some reason devs don't seem to be picking up on that and using it

You sort of have to design the whole game around doing that, which is something you yourself obviously did very well, but it seems like it locks you into some difficult constraints. A fantasy game where you play a wizard who grabs reality and pulls it around themselves to move is an interesting concept that could be very fun, but you can't really do that for every fantasy game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lemming posted:

Hand based locomotion only makes sense in games that would be enhanced by it. Something like VRchat with hand based locomotion as your only option would kinda suck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thread about Quest friend parties. Sounds like a pain
https://twitter.com/benz145/status/1607463720392826881

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

orange juche posted:

Hand based locomotion only makes sense in games that would be enhanced by it. Something like VRchat with hand based locomotion as your only option would kinda suck.

Yeah one of the 'secrets' of why video gaming works, in general, is that there is an abstraction layer between player and character, so the same controller can serve just fine for a FPS, a TPS, a isometric game, a game where you are a cyber ninja, a game where you drive a car, a game where you are an old knight, or a soldier in a modern war, etc. You just accept that pressing a button does X on screen, and button X can do different poo poo on every game.

Hand based locomotion is the best locomotion in VR but... are you gonna play as a diver in the ocean / astronaut in zero G / gorilla in the jungle in all VR games? Isn't that... very limiting?
Of course you can bit the bullet and apply hand based locomotion to your Call of Duty clone, I guess.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah one of the 'secrets' of why video gaming works, in general, is that there is an abstraction layer between player and character, so the same controller can serve just fine for a FPS, a TPS, a isometric game, a game where you are a cyber ninja, a game where you drive a car, a game where you are an old knight, or a soldier in a modern war, etc. You just accept that pressing a button does X on screen, and button X can do different poo poo on every game.

Hand based locomotion is the best locomotion in VR but... are you gonna play as a diver in the ocean / astronaut in zero G / gorilla in the jungle in all VR games? Isn't that... very limiting?
Of course you can bit the bullet and apply hand based locomotion to your Call of Duty clone, I guess.

Yeah, the joke is that it's actually fine to do in every game type. You do have to make some affordances, but on some level you have to do that for everything anyway. It's just fundamentally a lot more fun and a lot more precise to use this kind of system rather than stick locomotion which isn't fun and makes a significant percentage of people sick or uncomfortable

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Lemming posted:

Yeah, the joke is that it's actually fine to do in every game type. You do have to make some affordances, but on some level you have to do that for everything anyway. It's just fundamentally a lot more fun and a lot more precise to use this kind of system rather than stick locomotion which isn't fun and makes a significant percentage of people sick or uncomfortable

Met a first-semester developer for coffee here in the Philippines today. At one point he asked me, "have you heard of Gorilla Tag?" I was like, "actually...I sorta know the developer!"

He couldn't have been more impressed if I'd shown him a selfie of me and Hideo Kojima smooching in a hot tub.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

chird posted:

Met a first-semester developer for coffee here in the Philippines today. At one point he asked me, "have you heard of Gorilla Tag?" I was like, "actually...I sorta know the developer!"

He couldn't have been more impressed if I'd shown him a selfie of me and Hideo Kojima smooching in a hot tub.

Lol, that's awesome. Feel free to tell them I said hi + good luck

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You don't know him, just his social media team :)

I had sort of the same conversation with my wife last night since my youngest joined my other son, and my nephew with his new VR set in gorilla tag. My older son has a couple friends he plays online from school and together can form a self contained party.

Based on the social and chat safeguards talked about earlier in the thread, I was happy to let them all play unrestricted there vs vr chat or other random game. Especially with the nephew since I was the one who gifted him the headset and this was his first day trying stuff out

It's a bad look if the first day has racist or autistic screeching drowning out your speaker

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Turin Turambar posted:

As you point out; stick locomotion is already artificial and disjointed from the game.

That hand based locomotion fits into the narrative framing of some guys should be counted as a benefit. That there are other genres where it feels like an artificial and disjointed input system shouldn't be counted against it any more than it is for stick locomotion. It is new and new things always face an uphill battle to gain widespread adoption.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hey guys hand based locomotion worked on exactly one free to play game, do you think it should be applied to every single VR game ever?

Surely this one developer of a free to play tag game knows more than the entire team of valve and meta.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Try harder.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Natural locomotion feels much much better to me than whatever gorilla tag implements. There is almost never a game I don't want to be using that in. But that being said games like Pavlov where both my hands will be on my gun, I have no real way to move at that point other than stick locomotion.

We probably need some way to use feet/leg tracking to get good locomotion so you can separate what the upper body does with where your want to go more naturally but just lol if you think treadmills will ever work so someone needs to be extra clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kwolok posted:

We probably need some way to use feet/leg tracking to get good locomotion so you can separate what the upper body does with where your want to go more naturally but just lol if you think treadmills will ever work so someone needs to be extra clever.

NL does support using extra trackers for your ankles so you can just move your feet like you're walking in place or similar, it works pretty well in my experience though i've never tried games like pavlov where you might want precise/accurate inputs because it's a multiplayer shooter lol