Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

haakman posted:

Getting repeatedly scammed as a 13 year old in Ultima Online made me the man I am today.

Scamming people repeatedly in various mmos made me the man I am today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

if you want your kids to be able to play online and still be somewhat safe then just stick with Nintendo, they take that poo poo way more seriously than everyone else and for good reason

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Pick games like Splatoon where there's no in-game chat so even if your teammate is a nazi paedophile there's no way of knowing and they can't do poo poo to your kid.

Splatoon has that system where you can share little drawings that absolutely is abused for chat purposes.

As always the lesson is actually parenting your kids instead of letting technology do it until you’re confident that they can be let loose without you having to watch over their shoulder the whole time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Ah, but don't we all have memories of our parents cluelessly getting us a videogame for christmas that was never going to work on the The Family Computer

For me it was some tank simulator

Normally I could get them to work.

I've told this story on here a few times now but when I first played Grim Fandango the computer was so poo poo that it played at 1/4 speed, dialogue included, and I thought that was just an artistic decision. It was only replaying it one day on a newer computer that I was like "wait, it was just my PC being a piece of poo poo this whole time?"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

haakman posted:

Getting repeatedly scammed as a 13 year old in Ultima Online made me the man I am today.

Nice House Deed...

Corp Por Corp Por Corp Por Corp Por

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Splatoon has that system where you can share little drawings that absolutely is abused for chat purposes.

As always the lesson is actually parenting your kids instead of letting technology do it until you’re confident that they can be let loose without you having to watch over their shoulder the whole time.

True, but usually it's amazing artwork or someone drawing a pooping butt. I don't recall seeing swastikas or dicks.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Seconding lego City undercover, its basically GTA:kids edition, open world, cars, city, and 'guns'

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a world of modern indie games that are a better introduction to retro games than actual retro games, just because game design has come so far since those days.

The best online game for kids is a closed Minecraft server with their friends.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OzyMandrill posted:

Seconding lego City undercover, its basically GTA:kids edition, open world, cars, city, and 'guns'

Yeah! And when you're doing your special detectiving looking for clues it plays a little double bass 'private eye' riff.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

History Comes Inside! posted:

Criticising someone else’s game buying choices when you just bought your kid literally the same game they already have with a few palette swaps isn’t awesome or great either, fwiw.

My kid didn’t even read this post and I can hear her gearing up for the seemingly endless “well actually they are two separate games this time and middle aged people shouldn’t be allowed to post opinions on my generations Pokemon games on the internet because they are all just bitter that they have evolved away from
the game boy versions and furthermore” rant.

It turns out one is dinosaurs one is cyberpunk and the trainers are completely different. To me it sounds like Nintendo split one big game in half because of the limitations of the console, and have dropped the price to get people to buy them both for Christmas and Birthday - £40 which is super cheap for a Nintendo game on release.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HopperUK posted:

One time they gave her the controller during a game of PUBG and she ran into a house and asked how she could do the washing up that was in the sink.

Hey this reaction isn't that unusual!

https://youtu.be/mDHhAalIHSg

Raising my kids to play the same games I did growing up was something I would joke about, but it doesn't really hold up. Games like Minecraft are objectively better than anything I played in the pre-Windows era and the 3d adventure games have mostly aged like poo.

Mine are too young to be playing anything online yet, but once they are I'd want to spend time seeing what they were doing in it and if they talked to anyone. I'm already the annoying person who will take the controller off them if I deem them too slow to pick up the controls in Gigantosaurus so this will go great!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Poo ages really well I'll have you know. Poor analogy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

One of the DC Lego games plays the John Williams theme every time you fly as Superman, so its worth it alone for imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: nah, it’s Christmas.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kegluneq posted:

Raising my kids to play the same games I did growing up was something I would joke about, but it doesn't really hold up. Games like Minecraft are objectively better than anything I played in the pre-Windows era and the 3d adventure games have mostly aged like poo.

Dammit Timmy you WILL type in this Basic program from a magazine I once got back in 1984.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

One of the DC Lego games plays the John Williams theme every time you fly as Superman, so its worth it alone for imo

Playing Marvel Super Heroes for the first time from the bundle I mentioned.
And there is a free roam city you can romp about in.
And I think every hero has a random citizen line getting name wrong, I think its hilarious.
"Oh hey, its Admiral America."
"Oh hey, its Tin Man."
"Oh hey, its Spider Boy."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lego Batman with the suit swapping is amazing. The thing I love about these lego games is that these are going to be a lot of children’s introduction to characters like Batman, and these are the child imagination friendly versions. We saw the Lego movie in 3D in the Cinema with a group of 8 kids and it was like a switch got flipped and out went the bratz dolls and in came Unikitty saving Batman from the shark monster (?) and so on.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Microplastics posted:

Poo ages really well I'll have you know. Poor analogy.

Er, in the sense that they provided a sound fertiliser for future, better games to grow from?? Yeah that'll do it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Er, in the sense that they provided a sound fertiliser for future, better games to grow from?? Yeah that'll do it.

I have fond memories of the Atari, TI-99 and Mega Drive prior to Windows being a thing, to say nothing of Wolf3D (I'd say Doom but I think I found it too scary).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/_ripley1_/status/1607657645590077442

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

learnincurve posted:

My kid didn’t even read this post and I can hear her gearing up for the seemingly endless “well actually they are two separate games this time and middle aged people shouldn’t be allowed to post opinions on my generations Pokemon games on the internet because they are all just bitter that they have evolved away from
the game boy versions and furthermore” rant.

And she'd be wrong, because it's exactly the same poo poo they've done with every Pokemon game since the Game Boy Blue & Red. Yeah, there are small aesthetic differences like they change the name & colour schemes of the schools you start in. Each has some exclusive Pokemon. Nothing wrong with that, if that makes the kid happy then cool

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh right yeah you should probably all change your Twitter passwords. That happened.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If there is one thing I know it’s not to get into an argument with a Pokémon fan over differences, it’s like my mother presenting a paint swatch with 80 near identical shades of white that she will have very strong opinions on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

If there is one thing I know it’s not to get into an argument with a Pokémon fan over differences, it’s like my mother presenting a paint swatch with 80 near identical shades of white that she will have very strong opinions on.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I have fond memories of the Atari, TI-99 and Mega Drive prior to Windows being a thing, to say nothing of Wolf3D (I'd say Doom but I think I found it too scary).

IDKFA
IDDQD

There, it's not scary any more. IDSPISPOPD also gave me a healthy early appreciation of level design!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

IDKFA
IDDQD

There, it's not scary any more. IDSPISPOPD also gave me a healthy early appreciation of level design!

I enjoy them now but I remember watching over my dad's shoulder and being like "oh god I could never play this photorealistic nightmare simulator"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Morgan's account has been completely wiped of content now, but tweets from the hacker said they would leak DMs with celebrities, so we've hopefully got those coming at some stage. Piers really loved his twitter account. lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh I like the yellow mouse thing because in the olden days of the 1990s when Xena was on tv, I recorded on VHS maybe the best episode ever (2-parter "The Debt" shown together as a 'tv movie' on channel 5 at the time), there was an advert on tv just before it started with the yellow mouse thing in it so it always got me psyched ready for a couple of hours enjoyment.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

fuctifino posted:

Morgan's account has been completely wiped of content now, but tweets from the hacker said they would leak DMs with celebrities, so we've hopefully got those coming at some stage. Piers really loved his twitter account. lol

I can only imagine the impotent rage, and also can't wait to see what heinous poo poo is uncovered. I also hope there's more to come from other people who are enormous shitbags.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

I don't know the specifics of age, but I'd suggest prohibition only works for so long and they'll just go even more off the rails once unleashed. I know I did.

I'd absolutely encourage playing online games that they want to play alongside them.

9yo twins.

I don't play any games myself, the most I've played in the last decade was super mario 3 on the new switch over christmas.

So far they haven't shown any interest in online playing, they barely seem to know what it is. In ways they seem very sheltered from these things and they've never shown much interest either.

I think a part of it because neither me or my SO play any games, well my SO plays candy crush and the kids do too because of that. We don't watch TV or watch any regular shows either. I don't think they get exposed at school either since you can't bring stuff like that there and they don't meet friends much outside school.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fall guys!

Honestly, the answer is fall guys. You play with other people but no chat, you also get points and rewards and stuff for the costumes even if you get knocked out first so they get a :( moment followed by a consolation prize level reward each time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

I can only imagine the impotent rage, and also can't wait to see what heinous poo poo is uncovered. I also hope there's more to come from other people who are enormous shitbags.
Have people started blaming the criminal mastermind Meghan Markle yet?

Kegluneq posted:

IDS PIS POPD

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Only Kindness posted:

Of course the real injustice is me buying into PS4 for the exclusives, my first console since the Atari VCS, back before it was called the 2600 and then the vast majority of those exclusives showing up on PC in superior versions! C'mon, Ian Sony. Get it together. One or the other.
Yeah I got completely loving owned switching to Sony. I used to be a much more functional human being playing on the 360 so I actually managed to complete a couple of the early raids on Destiny 1.

Then they announced they weren't supporting that gen going forward, so I upgraded to PS4 for Rise of Iron I think? I also wanted Bloodborne (still haven't finished it) and Ni-No-Kuni (haven't even bought it), so decided to switch since MS weren't even talking about backwards compatibility at the time.

Anyway, then there was the whole shitshow with Activision Blizzard, Destiny 2, the studio going solo, the 'vaulting' of huge chunks of the game and the game itself turning into a bizarre f2p hybrid. Except because the initial Destiny 2 was a full price game, you need PS+ to play the matchmade activities (even solo).

So because I chose PS4 to play Destiny 2 on, I am now somehow on the only platform where I have to pay a monthly subscription to access a bunch of the 'free' activities, and the single player content you could play offline has been largely removed. It's free on Xbox and the various PC launchers, but Sony (despite owning Bungie) just shrug and make you pay for PS+.

Which is also annoying, because:

Tesseraction posted:

The most expensive Nintendo Online pass is cheaper than the cheapest Playstation Plus lol.

Diet Crack posted:

Piers Morgan having to very carefully construct a statement complaining about hacking people's private messages and publicly revealling their contents is going to be absolutely :discourse:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Makes me very happy to hear people saying good things about LEGO games, for no reason whatsoever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which is also annoying, because:

Greetings fellow pspluscuck.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They even have a whole section with free packs for f2p games to make up for the cost of paying for the plus prescription, but I have never seen any Destiny content in there.

Mebh posted:

Makes me very happy to hear people saying good things about LEGO games, for no reason whatsoever.
The original LEGO Star Wars is honestly one of the best Star Wars games ever, and I firmly believe it actually raised the bar to the point that every other studio had to actually try instead of just half-arsing their tie-ins.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whenever I try and attract a cat the sound used here is "kss kss kss"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pshwshwsh

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Random question. All the payment info vanished from our amazon and we got logged out of all the accounts on all devices. Seems theres a new profile feature and I wonder if that's related.

Googling around is loving useless, anyone ever have that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
be careful mebh it may be the work of sick cyberpunks and/or digital ne'erdowells