Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Dante, Devastation of Baal, Darkness In The Blood

Guy Haley's trilogy is really cool honestly, and a good read that walks you through the transformative events of the new era of 40k from their perspective.

Ooo that sounds great, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Blood Angels are also the marines used in one of the warhammer+ shows.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
They're also the lead chapter for the Battlesector game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also never noticed they all start with D before.

Dracula....

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Gotta be honest, Cavill as Eisenhorn is so far from the Eisenhorn in my mind that it's hard to imagine it. He's supposed to be an ugly, scrunched up poo poo even before the unfortunate events in the mansion, and an even uglier poo poo after. My cast was Mel Gibson for a bit, then at some point I didn't want to think about Mel Gibson.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I always pictured Eisenhorn as Mads Mikkelsen, given the whole dead face thing.

Also, do Talon of Horus with Cavill as Abaddon -and- his gene-dad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Black Griffon posted:

Gotta be honest, Cavill as Eisenhorn is so far from the Eisenhorn in my mind that it's hard to imagine it. He's supposed to be an ugly, scrunched up poo poo even before the unfortunate events in the mansion, and an even uglier poo poo after. My cast was Mel Gibson for a bit, then at some point I didn't want to think about Mel Gibson.

Literally any role they give him outside of a Primarch is one where he'd have to get his face all hosed up regardless.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

eisenhorn fucks

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I recon you've still got some prettyboys out there who keep their good looks until they get merked. They do get merked though.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ravenor was hot and look how that turned out for him.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I haven't gotten far enough in my reread, but I think Loken kept his looks!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jerkface posted:

eisenhorn fucks

amberley vail is actually the one who uses her power to gently caress

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I haven't read them all, but I can't imagine our friend Ciaphas losing his good looks.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

I haven't gotten far enough in my reread, but I think Loken kept his looks!

iirc from mersadie's PoV,s loken's hotness/notness was always ambiguous

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GW, for Christmas, I would like some Leagues of Votann novels. Thank you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

S.J. posted:

Literally any role they give him outside of a Primarch is one where he'd have to get his face all hosed up regardless.

Not Ciaphas Cain. Dude looks like a propaganda poster come to life.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I’d pay full movie ticket price to see Cavill as Cain in a 40k rip off of Knives Out. You can bring in pretty much any group from 40k to play with. Not to mention doing something like Ciaphas Cain first definitely pays homage to 40k as satire.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Black Griffon posted:

Cavil doesn’t seem far off to me at all for young Eisenhorn.

It’d be cool if they could pull off the arc that takes a square-jawed inquisitor Henry Cavill to beat up old man held together with an exoskeleton, chaos magic and sheer loving willpower.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Not Ciaphas Cain. Dude looks like a propaganda poster come to life.

Sure but I'm not counting that because there's no way they're going to lead in with the 40k version of slap stick comedy

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Doing Cain would be funny because there's always a feeling that Cain is deliberately making himself look worse in his writings

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Cain feels like he internalized the Imperium propaganda and seems to think that the fact that he has normal human survival instincts and doesnt want to mindlessly throw himself into the meatgrinder must make him an unsalvageable coward despite the fact that he is still practicality a superhuman warrior killing machine by non-Space marine standards, and an effective leader that doesnt waste his followers lives on pointless things.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Bob Quixote posted:

Yeah, Cain feels like he internalized the Imperium propaganda and seems to think that the fact that he has normal human survival instincts and doesnt want to mindlessly throw himself into the meatgrinder must make him an unsalvageable coward despite the fact that he is still practicality a superhuman warrior killing machine by non-Space marine standards, and an effective leader that doesnt waste his followers lives on pointless things.

I think this is also because a lot of the stories built around the same period, were of humanity not being human. Both Cain and Gaunt became popular because they were basically takes on "What if a 20th century human were to be tossed into 40k?" A lot of the stupid stuff we adore as jokes only work from a wide view, and the actual reality of what is thrown out is horrible.

I mean, Krieg is funny and a meme because they go at 1000% for whatever objective they have. They're sieging a city? They don't let up until 6 months after the other guy gave up. They're attacking? They are so eager to be part of the charge that their commisars have to talk them down. And the Cain books make constant references to "normal" commissars who'll kill a guy to make the regiment fear them more than the enemy, and the actual fallout of such policies (that the commisar is often found after enemy action having been shot in the back).

I like that much of the more modern stories have forgotten that level of extremism as the norm, and instead deliberately point out that it's stupid. Although I haven't read as many basic guard stories since the return of Robute (which seems to be where a lot of the fluff got pushed on it's head).

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s also neat that Cain only ever :commissar:’s 3 people across all his books, all of which absolutely required it and one of which specifically requested it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Going back to vanta black chat, it wouldn't be other worldy it would literally be impossible to work with in live action.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cain is basically a genuine hero with a bad case of imposter syndrome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Preechr posted:

It’s also neat that Cain only ever :commissar:’s 3 people across all his books, all of which absolutely required it and one of which specifically requested it.

Well more than three if you add the PDFs at some roadblock he tells the Valhallans to shoot in the first book.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bob Quixote posted:

I think there's a lot of humility to Cain too, like he's too shy to properly give himself credit for things he does. He's not the heroic figure the propaganda makes him out to be, but nor is he the feckless coward he paints himself as. That's fun, and I'd wonder how a theoretical show would handle that.

I know Cain is very inspired by Flashman, but I don't think Flashman is secretly very competent? Like he's just a complete loser who gets very lucky.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

DaysBefore posted:

I know Cain is very inspired by Flashman, but I don't think Flashman is secretly very competent? Like he's just a complete loser who gets very lucky.

Flashman is actually gifted in certain aspects, like horse riding and learning languages, plus his above average height and physique. His fighting skills are decent enough to hold his own in a brawl however he's a mediocre duellist and is never shown as truly skilled with the blade. But you're right, Flashman is a coward and a real villain, so yeah, a loser that gets consistently lucky and gets away with it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's why we have Amberly give a more balanced view of him.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Sextro posted:

I’d pay full movie ticket price to see Cavill as Cain in a 40k rip off of Knives Out. You can bring in pretty much any group from 40k to play with. Not to mention doing something like Ciaphas Cain first definitely pays homage to 40k as satire.

Now that you've said it, it's all I want. Maybe charlie day as jurgen. Get him doing the charlie jurgen work

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Cain is inspired by flashman but flashman doesn't work in 40k straight because the setting is already too grimdark. Flashman is one of the worst people alive and even though the author forgets that a little later on he's set against the "boys adventure" hero and was meant to be a reminder of what those people are like up close.

Ciaphas Cain is a slight coward who manages to get pointed in the right direction most of the time and works when he does because he's light comedy against the grimdark. He is not a repeated and unapologetic rapist murdering sociopath.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yeah, Cain isn't really a coward. He chooses to avoid danger in terms of not volunteering for certain death missions and tries to place himself away from the vanguard. However, despite his protestations, when confronted with physical or moral dangers he consistently steps up to the challenge. The problem is the Imperial ideal are space marines who don't feel fear and exist only to fight the enemies of humanity. So the simple fact that he has fear to overcome leaves Cain feeling like a coward, compounded by the propaganda that shows him more like an aforementioned space marine.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
my darktide guy thinks he's a chickenshit

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrNemo posted:

Yeah, Cain isn't really a coward. He chooses to avoid danger in terms of not volunteering for certain death missions and tries to place himself away from the vanguard. However, despite his protestations, when confronted with physical or moral dangers he consistently steps up to the challenge. The problem is the Imperial ideal are space marines who don't feel fear and exist only to fight the enemies of humanity. So the simple fact that he has fear to overcome leaves Cain feeling like a coward, compounded by the propaganda that shows him more like an aforementioned space marine.

Paraphrasing plenty, someone posted a portion of a book or short story where Cain finds himself walking into the start of a full blown riot between a bunch of pissed off guardsmen, so he tries to slink away to not get caught up in that poo poo like a smart person. But someone notices him and yells out COMMISSAR! His internal reaction is "Oh poo poo. Oh gently caress. Oh piss." etc. But he has training that has him stand up straight with authority, pretend like he just walked in on the situation and finds someone young or slack jawed enough that would follow orders without resistance and tells them to get a bucket and a mop to clean up blood or something off the floors. Dealing with the situation by making all the guardsmen feel like assholes caught by their dad making a mess in the house. Where another commissar would be more direct with their authority and pull their weapon and end up torn to pieces as the new target of ire for the pack of guardsmen.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 27, 2022

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Paraphrasing plenty, someone posted a portion of a book or short story where Cain finds himself walking into the start of a full blown riot between a bunch of pissed off guardsmen, so he tries to slink away to not get caught up in that poo poo like a smart person. But someone notices him and yells out COMMISSAR! His internal reaction is "Oh poo poo. Oh gently caress. Oh piss." etc. But he has training that has him stand up straight with authority, pretend like he just walked in on the situation and finds someone young or slack jawed enough that would listen to authority and tells them to get a bucket and a mop to clean up blood or something off the floors. Dealing with the situation by making all the guardsmen feel like assholes caught by their dad making a mess in the house. Where another commissar would be more direct with their authority and pull their weapon and end up torn to pieces as the new target of ire for the pack of guardsmen.

This was the first, when he first gets assigned to the Valhallan infantry. The fall out is what leads to the regiment becoming the 597th instead of the two previous units (I think it was the 296th and the 301st?)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think it's also an aspect of Cain being the antithesis of an Imperial commissar in that he actually values human life. He covers it up in his writing by citing cowardice and expedience but he will always find some reason why it makes more sense to not shoot someone (and typically this works out well for him). I don't know that it was planned it explicitly but it's a nice parallel to Flashman where the ideal Imperial hero actually succeeds because he's a complete bastard. Here the Imperial ideal of a commissar is a complete bastard and instead we get shown that someone like that can't actually achieve the results that they should.

I mean Cain is really meant to just be a Flashman pastiche but it also really undermines the whole 'hard men make hard choices' Imperial propaganda if you read into it.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I agree with Veil that Cain isn't a coward at all - he's incredibly brave. But he has a big inferiority complex and equates having normal human emotions and drives as cowardice due to the schola brainwashing and general commissar crap. I do find it interesting the best commissars as portrayed in the fiction all are way off 'Commissar Standard' Like Gaunt is certainly a hardass when he needs to be.

Cain is really an indictment on how terrible the imperium really is.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

it is a pretty good joke that Cain is in fact the ideal commissar and a true, brave hero but because of imperial propaganda promoting insanely batshit standards he feels like he's a cowardly fraud and a mockery of a commissar. Cain's a man gaslit by the the entire imperium into thinking he's a failure of a man while being at near the peak of human skill with swordmanship and being a charismatic and skillful leader and advisor who has helped save several worlds from doom

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He still does awful things only when necessary, like gunning down the 'nid infected couple who "survived" in one Tau book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Cain is literally the embodiment of impostor syndrome.