Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mobby_6kl posted:

That's almost $200 less than the 4080 costs here, that's absolutely what's it's gonna be in Europe lol

That's a lot of stocked shelves for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

What are the go-to stock discords/sites if I wanted a 4090 in the vain hope that spending a lot of money on a thing will make life better

I have the same question.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I have the same question.

It will make your life better, but it will make some itt very angry, and is that worth it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Still extremely funny that 4090s are out of stock everywhere and Best Buy just has 4080 FEs available to buy online

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Animal posted:

It will make your life better, but it will make some itt very angry, and is that worth it?

100%

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://discord.gg/falcodrin

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! Time to spend some of this Christmas overtime money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are some false positives on that server and some of the drops that get reported are impossible for mortals to nab, but I'd say that drops you can actually act on tend to happen around once or twice a week. Patience is required.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Are there any real stinkers out of the partner cards to avoid if I feel like making things harder for myself and being picky?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
gigabyte seem to have some issues with cooling leading to higher temps and/or fan noise iirc. and because they don't cool well, they tend to have the biggest coolers

a lot of people report coil whine on asus, but could be reporting bias or most people buying asus cards. reddit already made it sound like every 40-series card was gonna explode, so it's hard to get a proper statistical view of it

msi tend to have the smallest cards aside from the fe, which could be nice for clearance/resale value

palit/gainward might have an issue, but no way i'm watching buildzoid's 50m video for a card i can't afford anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7U4kdc0V4

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 25, 2022

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

This is how I got my 4090, though it was their twitter alerts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't heard about any higher rates of incidents or defects in any of the partner cards, but it may still be a bit too early to know about that. Here's the fan noise chart from TechPowerUp's testing:

They've only tested a small selection of cards, but of them all the Zotac one was the loudest. Even so, it's still acceptable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

B-Mac posted:

This is how I got my 4090, though it was their twitter alerts.

Do you have their twitter handle handy?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

gigabyte seem to have some issues with cooling leading to higher temps and/or fan noise iirc. and because they don't cool well, they tend to have the biggest coolers

a lot of people report coil whine on asus, but could be reporting bias or most people buying asus cards. reddit already made it sound like every 40-series card was gonna explode, so it's hard to get a proper statistical view of it

msi tend to have the smallest cards aside from the fe, which could be nice for clearance/resale value

palit/gainward might have an issue, but no way i'm watching buildzoid's 50m video for a card i can't afford anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7U4kdc0V4

Almost every buildzoid video is done from an extreme overclocker's perspective. The Palit is most likely going to be fine for an ordinary user, though it's a moot point if you're in NA since they are pretty uncommon here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Do you have their twitter handle handy?

https://twitter.com/falcodrin

Alerts will come faster via Discord though, plus you can use their role system to filter the stuff you get pinged for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://twitter.com/falcodrin

Alerts will come faster via Discord though, plus you can use their role system to filter the stuff you get pinged for.

Perfect! It looks like there have been 4090s every day at least.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The iPhone Newegg app with Apple Pay did the trick for me. That technique will skip the whole re-authenticate process when adding to car normally.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This person on the chiphell forums claims to have tested a 4070 ti and has benchmark results: https://chiphell.com/thread-2478538-1-1.html

With a few exceptions, it's 0 - 10% better than the 3090, and with ray tracing on that lead can go up to 20% (but is typically lower). Basically, it's right in line with what we were expecting it to be, though the handful of cases where it's slower than the 3090 are surprising. (VRAM limitation? I believe these are at 4K.) This post also has more benchmarks with an overclocked 7900 XTX.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 26, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1607492671882280960

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Was at the microcenter in dallas today. There was a small pile of 4080s, 3060s, and 3050s.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My local micro center is reporting 26 4080s in stock, with literally all of them being Zotacs lmao

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Decided to turn off raytracing in Darktide instead and save up for a new camera. Think I'll pick up the 6090 though. Seems like a good number.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ijyt posted:

Decided to turn off raytracing in Darktide instead and save up for a new camera. Think I'll pick up the 6090 though. Seems like a good number.

heh

noice

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ZombieCrew posted:

Was at the microcenter in dallas today. There was a small pile of 4080s, 3060s, and 3050s.

Yeah, these and in mpls they had a small number of 3070 and 3070tis, but not great priced models. No 3080s and a sign saying no 4090s. This was right before Xmas.

But yeah, they had a full case of 4080s.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

and as we all know, the more gpus you buy, the more money you save.

I've been saying this!!!

Today is XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XTX day, I hope it burns my house down

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ZombieCrew posted:

That's just kinda nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6bFnzN1SY&t=1863s Time Stamped video over from GN about supposed leaked specs of the 4070 Ti. Was kinda hoping that it would be the equivalent to a 3090/3080 looks freaking weird if the leaked specs are to be believed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...sh=40070b23a9c2

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This could have been interesting.

https://www.engadget.com/apple-a16-chip-ray-tracing-mistakes-180839937.html?guccounter=1

quote:

The iPhone 14 Pro’s A16 Bionic chip uses a similar architecture to the A15 in the iPhone 13 Pro, but that was only Apple’s fallback plan, according to a report from The Information. The company wanted to add a next-generation GPU that supports ray tracing, but the silicon team discovered crucial design mistakes late in development. It allegedly had to scrap its plans and opt for the A16 we got.

It’s possible that we see this feature in the laptops first though.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
4080 is in that sweetspot of being too expensive for the average shopper building a new pc, and being too expensive for what it is for the more informed pc builder.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

ZombieCrew posted:

4080 is in that sweetspot of being too expensive for the average shopper building a new pc, and being too expensive for what it is for the more informed pc builder.

It truly is perfect. It's not a bad GPU step up from last gen, but the price is just so perfectly calibrated to make it just utterly undesirable.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

I'm at the point where for the first time in my life, I'm going to buy stupid expensive components from the higher end... but still not touching that thing. Like I'm literally the target for upselling into 4090. I just have to wear the hat and blow some people for a bit longer to afford it.

(of course if I happen upon an XTX in the wild, I'll revert to type and snag it, because as a 1070 TI owner, I can live without things I haven't seen.. like ray tracing.)

e: gently caress the 4080 at its current price

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I finally put my 7900 XTX in today and it feels like a massive step up from my 3080 as I can crank all details, switch off DLSS and run at 160Hz.

No question, DLSS is black magic and I think I'll miss RTX voice. Buuuuut running native resolution in twitchy FPS games is absolutely my jam.

This reference cooler is absolute dogshit though. I need EK to get their poo poo together and ship my block already.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How many years elapsed between when Crysis released, and a single GPU card (so not counting GTX 690) could play it at full settings, max refresh rate, on the best resolution available at the time?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Splorange posted:

I'm at the point where for the first time in my life, I'm going to buy stupid expensive components from the higher end... but still not touching that thing. Like I'm literally the target for upselling into 4090. I just have to wear the hat and blow some people for a bit longer to afford it.

(of course if I happen upon an XTX in the wild, I'll revert to type and snag it, because as a 1070 TI owner, I can live without things I haven't seen.. like ray tracing.)

e: gently caress the 4080 at its current price

“gently caress the 4080, I’ll save up for the 4090, that’ll teach ‘em!”

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

“gently caress the 4080, I’ll save up for the 4090, that’ll teach ‘em!”

I believe my point was more like; I'm having sunk savings fallacy

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

What's with all the Zotac dislike? Did I miss something? I had a couple of Zotacs over the years and they both performed just as well as any other card.

(My personal "I'd rather not" GPU brand is MSI, because I had one of their 1650s and it didn't report power via nvidia-smi (how do you mess that up? wouldn't you have to purposefully disable it while customizing the BIOS you got from Nvidia?), and was always a few degC hotter than the others.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mdxi posted:

What's with all the Zotac dislike? Did I miss something? I had a couple of Zotacs over the years and they both performed just as well as any other card.

(My personal "I'd rather not" GPU brand is MSI, because I had one of their 1650s and it didn't report power via nvidia-smi (how do you mess that up? wouldn't you have to purposefully disable it while customizing the BIOS you got from Nvidia?), and was always a few degC hotter than the others.)

It's just a meme around Zotac almost always being the last cards left in stock, I don't know that they have a reputation for being bad cards. Palit is the same in Europe, when every other card is sold out you'll probably still be able to find a Palit.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mdxi posted:

I think they sometimes do weird avant-garde poo poo with cards? Or used to in the past. I haven't seen any actual complaints about them though

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has anyone here that bought a 4090/4080 had issues with space in their cases? I've been giving a hard look at a Fractal torrent to use as a case but if the 4070 ti ends up being decent and affordable but also the same size card as a 4080, I'm wondering what I'd have to do in order to have that poo poo fit and make sure it's properly supported so it doesn't make the board warp.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 27, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jiro posted:

Has anyone here that bought a 4090/4080 had issues with space in their cases? I've been giving a hard look at a Fractal torrent to use as a case but if the 4070 ti ends up being decent and affordable but also the same size card I'm wondering what I'd have to do in order to have that poo poo fit and make sure it's properly supported so it doesn't make the board warp.

In a Meshify C, a FE 4080/90 will fit comfortably with fans. AIB cards, not so much. They’re just huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the full size torrent will have no problems, that has clearance for 423mm cards with the front fans installed and even the hugest 4090s are only about 360mm

the torrent compact may have issues though