Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

why does the steam front page show games I own all over the sale items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

FishMcCool posted:

Elex? Elex 2? Outward? Mad Max? I think College Kings 2 was recommended earlier in this thread too.
I forgot about Mad Max, that might be the frontrunner. College Kings 2 is a solid runner-up, but I'd have to try to beat the dating sim-themed tutorial first.

pentyne posted:

Guijan 3.

It's a Chinese arpg, but probably one of the best ones available. The only major caveat is that it requires an always online connection, seems like it might've been built off of an mmo or something into a single player game.

It's got a pretty great card minigame, you get a magical base you can build on and upgrade, and the combat works pretty well once you get the hang of it, mmo style so you want to be keeping up buffs/debuffs. It has a lot of QoL things that modern open world games don't have for ~immersion~ as well.
Hadn't heard of this one at all, but it does look interesting. I'll keep it in mind but I'm leaning towards more of a chill "wander the map, cross off items on a list" type of game for now. Always-online is a pain for sure, too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

victrix posted:

why does the steam front page show games I own all over the sale items?
You must own all the games on Steam. There's nothing left to show you.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Gripper posted:

Are there any sleeper hit open-world RPGs out there or potentially just lesser-known ones? Searching (not unexpectedly) gets me all the big titles that I've played already from the last couple of years like AC, the Far Cry series, Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon age etc, but I'm happy to jump into anything reasonably modern that scratches the itch.

With no fear of bullying I've enjoyed all of Ubisoft's offerings and just finished playing through the last 3 AssCreed games, and the only games on my radar at all that I'm on the fence about are MGSV Phantom Pain and Watch Dogs: Legion, and I've been putting those off because forced stealth isn't my thing and reviews of Legion vary from "it's a good game" through to "very bad" with nothing in between.

Pine: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1042780/Pine/ Although it's pretty short.

Cloud Punk: https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/ Open world delivery sim

Fabled Lands: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299620/Fabled_Lands/ An adaptation of the cult classic open world self directed fantasy game books

The Signal From Tova: https://store.steampowered.com/app/457760/The_Signal_From_Tlva/ is short but has good shooting imo and interesting setting

Zombi: https://store.steampowered.com/app/339230/ZOMBI/ People either love it or hate it but it's a Ubisoft game many overlook

Eastshade: https://store.steampowered.com/app/715560/Eastshade/ Openworld painting quest game

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wow, Borderlands 3 dialogue is so much more tolerable after playing High On Life.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Croccers posted:

Wow, Borderlands 3 dialogue is so much more tolerable after playing High On Life.

there's a fan mod somewhere that nerfs dialogue and buffs guns and drops, I can't remember the name offhand though

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John Lee posted:

I didn't have a computer until I was pretty old, so I never played Deus Ex - I got it on Steam, but it keeps having, like, big texture/lighting issues, so it's nearly unplayable.
Have you tried-

K8.0 posted:

IDK about CS, but for Deus Ex - Goon kentie made the standard replacement EXE and DX10 renderer that are the way to go to run it on modern systems. When you want to actually play it, make sure you start with those - and for any PC game, it's always a good idea to refer to pcgamingwiki to see if you need some community fixes to broken stuff.
Yeah, that.

Anyways...

As usual during the winter sale \ my birthday, I'm handing out games:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, tell me your favorite genre(s), receive a game.

In return, write a review of the game somewhere and\or ride the gift train.

Don't add me if you just want more goon friends, that's not the point here.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 27, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Siralim Ultimate. That's what got me this year. There are big gaps in my Steam gaming because of the big Pokemon releases; when I'm playing Pokemon I tend to be playing little else.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Lee posted:

I didn't have a computer until I was pretty old, so I never played Deus Ex - I got it on Steam, but it keeps having, like, big texture/lighting issues, so it's nearly unplayable.

Deus Ex due a remaster along with Thief and system shock 2

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

fez_machine posted:

Pine: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1042780/Pine/ Although it's pretty short.

Cloud Punk: https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/ Open world delivery sim

Fabled Lands: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299620/Fabled_Lands/ An adaptation of the cult classic open world self directed fantasy game books

The Signal From Tova: https://store.steampowered.com/app/457760/The_Signal_From_Tlva/ is short but has good shooting imo and interesting setting

Zombi: https://store.steampowered.com/app/339230/ZOMBI/ People either love it or hate it but it's a Ubisoft game many overlook

Eastshade: https://store.steampowered.com/app/715560/Eastshade/ Openworld painting quest game
All new to me except Cloudpunk, I'll check them out. Thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Eastshade is absolutely lovely.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

pentyne posted:

I own the following games tagged as "pinball"

Balls of Steel
Collisions
Dream Pinball 3D
Pinball FX2
Pinball FX3
Rollers of the Realm
Yoku's Island Express

Aside from 2 hours is Yoku's idling for cards literally none of them have been opened since 2018 or earlier. The LGBTQ+ at least makes sense from playing the Life is Strange series but the rest are basically just nonsense. I have like 70 hours in Elden Ring, 50+ hours in Pillars of Eternity, and about 40 hours in Final Fantasy X/X-2 and those are barely represented in that info-graphic.

I got solitaire on my spider graph even though the only game with solitaire tag I played this year was Solitaire Conspiracy for 5 hours. I played 128 and beat 27 games this year, many of which were a at least a bit longer than Solitaire Conspiracy. Pretty silly imo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Gripper posted:

I forgot about Mad Max, that might be the frontrunner.

Mad Max is pretty OK. It's GTA-style driving with Arkham-style combat, but does neither of them as well as their respective source games. There is still a good time to be had, but please heed the advice that I got and ignored several years ago: Don't try to 100% it. You're going to see a map full of enemy forts and collectibles and poo poo that you're going to want to start clearing out. Resist this urge. Beeline the main plot missions immediately. Not only are most of your big upgrades locked behind these missions, but the side stuff is the same handful of generic gameplay loops endlessly pasted around. You will get burned out. You will put the game down and never come back. Don't be like meeeeeeeeeeeee

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

The Gripper posted:

Are there any sleeper hit open-world RPGs out there or potentially just lesser-known ones? Searching (not unexpectedly) gets me all the big titles that I've played already from the last couple of years like AC, the Far Cry series, Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon age etc, but I'm happy to jump into anything reasonably modern that scratches the itch.

With no fear of bullying I've enjoyed all of Ubisoft's offerings and just finished playing through the last 3 AssCreed games, and the only games on my radar at all that I'm on the fence about are MGSV Phantom Pain and Watch Dogs: Legion, and I've been putting those off because forced stealth isn't my thing and reviews of Legion vary from "it's a good game" through to "very bad" with nothing in between.

Might have already played it if you've tackled Skyrim but, if not, maybe give Enderal: Forgotten Stories a whirl? The amount of effort the devs put into a free mod is absurd. It's a total conversion with near-full VA (that's actually pretty good!), custom music, a totally new world map to explore and substantially revamped mechanics. Easily a 100+ hour game if you explore thoroughly and the story certainly goes places towards the end. That said, it is still built on Skyrim so expect some jankiness...

Along similar janky lines, I'll second an Outward recommendation. If you've ever played a Piranha Bytes RPG, it's like one of those mashed into a low-budget soulslike, with a sprinkling of survival crafting poo poo. It absolutely shouldn't work at all, but it does. The sense of progression is great, going from a scrub getting eaten by random wildlife to a Big Deal RPG Protagonist. Just be aware that it's still balls-hard in places - the second DLC in particular is insanely spiteful, and can be a bit of a slog once you get into the town construction stuff.

Game does have a rad soundtrack, too, which is a plus. The Mandatory Poison Swamp Zone music is my favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm1TTbeudLM

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Enderal is by a bunch of german Gothic fans working on the Skyrim engine, so it's one half the best Piranha Bytes game since Gothic 2* and one half the best Bethesda game since Morrowind. It's not as good as either, but it's really good. I played the Special Edition, which supposedly is quite a bit more polished than the original release but requires Skyrim SE.

*Don't tell me about Elex. Go away.

e:

HopperUK posted:

Also this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I tried both Enderal and Nehrim and both were very crashy, like, I didn't have the patience to complete either because of how often it crashed.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

GhostDog posted:

Enderal is by a bunch of german Gothic fans working on the Skyrim engine, so it's one half the best Piranha Bytes game since Gothic 2* and one half the best Bethesda game since Morrowind. It's not as good as either, but it's really good. I played the Special Edition, which supposedly is quite a bit more polished than the original release but requires Skyrim SE.

*Don't tell me about Elex. Go away.

It's funny that the Gothic games seem to inspire the most insane(ly dedicated) fans. The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos guys absolutely knocked it out of the park as well.

(can probably add that to the open world recommendation list as well! It's another giant 100+ hour RPG. May be more enjoyable for those that can speak/read Polish, but I didn't encounter any glaring issues with the English translation.)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SirKibbles posted:

Anyone play any good Diablo likes recently that they can recommend?

It's not recent, but I enjoyed my time with Victor Vran. Abilities are tied to weapons not your character, so you can mix things up and "respec" just by switching weapon sets.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I had no issues with Enderal SE, presumably because the Skyrim SE is way more stable.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kinda funny how close in playtime my top 5 are.

That's right. Nothing but banging soundtracks this year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

Are you doing the Kestrel Lancers missions? Those are really hard from a brand new campaign.

Nope, what happened was the loving mechlab mod I installed had a 3x armor modifier on every non-mech and gave them aimbot status

Thanks mod that's supposed to just let me put different guns on my robot

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thanks for reminding me of my depression rut this year, Steam.

So much card gaming and then a brief interlude of some of the finest rogue-like shootmans I've played and a really great sad dad story.(gently caress the haters, GOW2018 hit me like a ton of bricks)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did I hear Gothic get mentioned? Gothic 1 and 2 are fantastic games. If you adjust to the jank then you'll have a blast playing them. One of my favorite franchise and I'll always be there to sing its praises and readily recommend them if they're ever mentioned in conversation!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I am a Stealth Souls-like.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Squiggly Beast posted:

It's funny that the Gothic games seem to inspire the most insane(ly dedicated) fans. The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos guys absolutely knocked it out of the park as well.

(can probably add that to the open world recommendation list as well! It's another giant 100+ hour RPG. May be more enjoyable for those that can speak/read Polish, but I didn't encounter any glaring issues with the English translation.)
Oh, did that actually turn out to be good? I was considering getting it, but really didn't feel like re-learning the Gothic 2 controls.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are goon thoughts on Clan Folk?

From the LP I'm watching, it seems like a pretty shallow Rimworld clone with all the combat removed but better graphics.

I think I'd be pretty okay with that but I might not get more than a single play through out of it also.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, did that actually turn out to be good? I was considering getting it, but really didn't feel like re-learning the Gothic 2 controls.

Yeah, it's not quite as good as OG G2 but it's not far off. Controls aren't too bad and they've added some QoL stuff like inventory filters and a sorta fix for the "scaling lp" balance problem that NotR created*

World design is top-notch. There's loads of stuff to find scattered around the island and the titular city is HUGE for a Gothic game. Like it must be 2-3 times the size of Khorinis. It's got the same great sense of 'rags to riches' progression as its ancestors as well.

My only real complaint is that there's a bit less build flexibility. On a first run you're basically forced to be a basic sword-haver or bow-haver. For storyline reasons there's no 'mage guild' faction choice, so magic is basically consigned to a support role via low-level runes and scrolls. The only way to make it work as a primary option is to either a) cheat and look up a guide to where all the runes+skillbooks are OR b) save it for a second playthrough challenge run (and this is a 100-odd hour game). No robes either smdh.

Not exactly a massive deal though, I just liked playing a mage in G1/G2. :smugwizard:

(*: In Archolos, any permanent bonus stats/lp are stored separately and added after all calculations. So you can chug permanent stat/skill potions and eat foodstuffs that give bonuses without having to worry about permanently loving up your character. Still have to focus your build as costs do scale up rapidly, but that single change removes stupid logistical headaches like having to sit on huge piles of apples, dark mushrooms etc. until lategame to avoid wasting most of their bonus value.)

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Takes No Damage posted:

Mad Max is pretty OK. It's GTA-style driving with Arkham-style combat, but does neither of them as well as their respective source games. There is still a good time to be had, but please heed the advice that I got and ignored several years ago: Don't try to 100% it. You're going to see a map full of enemy forts and collectibles and poo poo that you're going to want to start clearing out. Resist this urge. Beeline the main plot missions immediately. Not only are most of your big upgrades locked behind these missions, but the side stuff is the same handful of generic gameplay loops endlessly pasted around. You will get burned out. You will put the game down and never come back. Don't be like meeeeeeeeeeeee

Plus you can't nowadays anyway, cause some server thingy went down and a couple of the challenges you need to do no longer work.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Severed Steel is free on EGS right now and it's a fantastic FEAR-like on crack (minus the spoopy parts).

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
That end of year graph is some vile lies for me, says I love Early Access, and I do not! I bought one this past year and refunded it, so I was super confused, but I did play a lot of demos during the steam fests so that's the only answer I can come up with.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Where does one go to see those graphs for their profile?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sab669 posted:

scroll down far on the main Store page

Edit: Youll see a big REPLAY YOUR YEAR NOW banner

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sab669 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/replay/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot:

Whole lota DOTA most of the year, then a shameful amount of Runescape for the month of November with a little Moonbreaker, Elden Ring, and Monster Hunter: Rise [in that order]

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Mainly Elden Ring, and Hell Let Loose, no idea where it gets fishing from and the one dinosaur game I have I played for like 2 hours lol. I played Satisfactory for like 100 hours so weird I don't have factory games or something instead of fishing.

Edit: Maybe it was Dinkum, but still

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sab669 posted:

Store front menu -> New & Noteworthy -> Steam Replay 2022

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

The Gripper posted:

I absolutely love Ubisoft-style open world collectathons, and the ones already mention are all good.

I didn't see the following:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and its sequel Shadow of War. I had some issues with Mordor so I only got half way through it. War was great.
Just Cause 2, 3 and 4. I still think #2 was the best, but if you want to play with the grappling hook and don't care for mods, #4 has a lot of options.
Gotham Knights. I have only played 4 hours today, but got pleasantly surprised it. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was definitely not this, which is really great. The older Batman games might also fit in here?
LEGO City Undercover. LEGO's take on GTA, and one of the better ELGO games.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm digging deep into the tags trying to find maybe some hidden gems, sale or not, and there's a few main issues so far

- Having AO games visible means you have to filter past a ton of bottom barrel shovelware including all those blender-whatever games with the attempt to have 'realistic' looking porn like House Party
- RPGmaker games need a default menu option to make them invisible
- People love tagging Disney games with ~dark~ stuff like post-apocalyptic or dystopia
- There should be a way to sort by number of reviews, maybe you find that game with like overwhelmingly positive with 4-500 reviews and it's not a bunch of bots

I'd love to find another game like Umurangi Generation, which still shamefully doesn't have more then 1000 reviews, but is an insanely good, fun, creative, and well written game.

Main tags I searched were
- cyberpunk
- dystopia
- lovecraftian
- demons
- otome
- psychological horror
- female protagonist
- noir
- lore-rich

Stand outs that just look good from initial glance are

Abandon Ship

quote:

Discover a huge amount of unique, story-filled islands across diverse biomes and themed areas: Fight ghost ships in the Haunted Seas. Ward off giant arachnids in the Spider Islands. Regions filled with poisonous gas, icebergs, cannibals and much more await.

Engage enemy ships, fortifications and sea monsters in vicious combat, employing your best tactics to out-manoeuvre and out-gun the enemy. Weather and environmental conditions affect your battles: Tidal waves, lightning strikes, volcanic bombardments and blizzards are just some of the modifiers that impact your strategy.

Abandon Ship focuses on ‘Age of Sail’ ships in a Fantasy setting, framed in an Art Style inspired by classic Naval Oil Paintings.

Path to Mnemosyne

quote:

Immerse yourself into Path to Mnemosyne, a hypnotic adventure created within an infinite zoom! Walk the path, explore your mind and recover all lost memories by solving dozens of imaginative puzzles.

A mysterious story, a minimalist script and disturbing sounds and graphics, will make Path to Mnemosyne a bizarre and memorable gameplay experience for any player.

Will you be able to reach the end of the path?

Death Crown

quote:

Death Crown is a minimalist real time strategy game in a 1bit style, where you will be play Death herself, commanding her legions of death, and punishing humanity's Kingdom for its overconfidence.
Key features:

Clear strategic gameplay. Clear strategic gameplay. Everything is very simple: you only have barracks producing troops, mines producing gold, and towers protecting your buildings. Every building is integral to your success!
Local multiplayer. Punishing pitiful humans in co-op with a friend is much more fun! And after that you can find out which one of you is cooler in the PVP mode.
A memorable visual style. Seriously, how many strategy games in 1bit do you know?
Unique story. Upgrade your troops, march through your foe's lands, sowing death and destruction, behold the fall of the Humanity's Kingdom in the breathtaking campaign.

Dark Quest

quote:

Dark Quest is a turn based fantasy role playing adventure game where players assume the role of a mighty barbarian on his epic quest to destroy the forces of the evil sorcerer and save the land from evil.

An evil sorcerer has appeared in the lands, he has built a dungeon in the nearby village of darkwood, where his minions use it as a base to raid the surrounding villages to bring terror and death to all its citizens. A hero by the name Zantor dares to defy the powers of the sorcerer and seeks to destroy the dungeon and put an end to this.

Basically Hero Quest in video game format.

Vengeful Heart

quote:

Set long after humanity has polluted this planet, groundwater is undrinkable and seeing a living plant is considered a luxury. Most people live in megacities that rely on the labor of poor masses to sustain a modern standard of living for the few at the top. With most of the earth scorched, water is regarded as liquid gold and the control of it is the truest form of power. Forced to cope with a permanent water shortage, ordinary people persist and toil on the hope that if they work hard enough, they too can someday swim every morning in the refreshing pools of the Gardens.

We follow the story of Josephine Lace, a young hydraulic engineer eager to climb the corporate ladder and claim a spot at the top. Until the day when that promising future is ripped away from her, leaving her half-dead and homeless, she becomes hellbent on taking down the system that ruined her and left her without a heart. Along the way she meets a diverse group of people sympathetic to her cause, every one with secrets of their own. With their help, she seeks redemption, love and most of all vengeance.
80s Anime aesthetic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HopperUK posted:

Absolutely. The worst part about it was that I ran out of 'go paint me a thing' quests too soon, I'd have loved to put a few more hours into it just looking for unique vistas and odd people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pentyne posted:

I'm digging deep into the tags trying to find maybe some hidden gems, sale or not, and there's a few main issues so far

- Having AO games visible means you have to filter past a ton of bottom barrel shovelware including all those blender-whatever games with the attempt to have 'realistic' looking porn like House Party

Honest question: Why have AO games visible at all? Which games have you played and would recommend fell under that category, which aren't just porn? When the option was first presented Steam gave me a bunch of examples, and Witcher3 was 'Mature' instead of AO, and that game has plenty of violence, naked ladies, and (gasp!) sex.

I really feel the Steam guys have hit the nail on the head on that divide, between what gamers and society consider appropriate vs just base titillation.