Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's the shovel by where the pickaxe is between the stairs and not stairs (deconstruct)

E: I guess its a divot but it makes a shovel

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

New Zealand can eat me posted:

oh what the gently caress this game

It's not just a thing that only the most badass crap has, either -- I got to witness a troll swinging between stalactites into my base like goddamn Tarzan Underground a little while back. Was also bizarrely not hostile, though.

The thing I've been learning as I play is that there's no such thing as "too sure". Yes, the squad can almost certainly smash that Ettin, but he could get a lucky shot off and cripple one of them. Better send both squads. He also managed to find the one gap in my paddock wall where I hadn't made drat sure all the ramps made by digging out the hillside were gone and slaughtered my entire adult chicken population before the militia could get their pants on and beat his rear end down.

So account for everything. A LOT of enemies can fly -- even mundane junk like angry barn owls and giant bats can cause a surprising amount of damage to isolated dwarves. My advice would be to build a bridge over the top of your Man Containment Zone and just close the lid on the trash can once the man has been safely deposited.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 27, 2022

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Nuebot posted:

How do you do channeling? I'm still dumb and trying to figure the game out, steam version specifically; it took me ages to realize where the squadron button was.

Hotkey "m" and then "u" should select what you need.

E:

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's an easy solution to this: after selecting channeling, click the yellow arrow in the bottom menu then use the priorities. Set the highest z-level to priority 1, the next floor down to priority 2, etc. That way they always channel off the top floor entirely before moving to the next floor down, preventing any cave-ins.

:aaa: Of course! I need to start playing with priorities more, this is really handy.

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 27, 2022

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Redeye Flight posted:

It's not just a thing that only the most badass crap has, either -- I got to witness a troll swinging between stalactites into my base like goddamn Tarzan Underground a little while back. Was also bizarrely not hostile, though.

The thing I've been learning as I play is that there's no such thing as "too sure". Yes, the squad can almost certainly smash that Ettin, but he could get a lucky shot off and cripple one of them. Better send both squads. He also managed to find the one gap in my paddock wall where I hadn't made drat sure all the ramps made by digging out the hillside were gone and slaughtered my entire adult chicken population before the militia could get their pants on and beat his rear end down.

So account for everything. A LOT of enemies can fly -- even mundane junk like angry barn owls and giant bats can cause a surprising amount of damage to isolated dwarves. My advice would be to build a bridge over the top of your Man Containment Zone and just close the lid on the trash can once the man has been safely deposited.

E: your name randomly reminded me of an old band of the same name but it's "Red I Flight"

Yeah no 100%. I mined away all of the slopes for a few levels on the outside of my fort and I was wondering how these fuckin dorfs were just yeeting themselves up 1-2-3 levels at a time and got worried because if they can do it than so can everything else. Sometimes I wish I could just grab one of these fuckers and ask them "how did you just do that"

and yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting underground so I don't have to worry about giant falcons and poo poo. I wish there was a more effective way of dealing with them, perhaps my own birds

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 27, 2022

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I sent a squad out on a mission to rescue a child that had been snatched by goblins. Just now, my squad leader returned, but that's it. The other squad members are still showing as travelling, there are no active missions, and the reports button on the world map is red and gives me nothing when I click on it. Is the mission still ongoing, or has something gone wrong?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Appoda posted:

Is there a significant downside to turning off temperature?
When you get to maximum-sized sieges (ie. up to the limit defined in the settings), it can be turned off to temporarily get a bit more FPS, though I don't advise leaving it off permanently.

Ledenko posted:

Help, I'm slightly drunk and have to know - what (post) is the title referring to?
Here's the post:

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you pay attention you can sometimes see things you should stop and look at. Such as, idk, seeing one of your dwarves go up to a megabeast and then fly back five tiles in a shower of blood.

Somehow that guy survived, which is surprising because that was a LOT of blood.

E. Glad to inspire a thread title
If you haven't noticed, threads has a search field in the blue bar just above the top post on any given page, you can use that to find things in that particular threads.
It also supports literal quotes, so I just searched for "which is surprising because that was a LOT of blood" including the quotes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jarvisi posted:

Oh I didn't know you could do that. I probably still need to finish slaughtering all the dogs and cats to save my frame rate

Your frame rate malus is 75%
1) fluid physics
2) pathfinding through moving fluid
3) pathfinding through locked doors

Get rid of as much fluid and never lock a door and even a huge fort will have playable framerates

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is the labor for making metal statues? Blacksmithing or Metal Crafting?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bold Robot posted:

What is the labor for making metal statues? Blacksmithing or Metal Crafting?

It's furniture, so blacksmithing

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Oh poo poo! Oh gently caress!

Rockscurl is hopelessly underdefended, having had to deal with minor goblin incursions for the past few years. This is about to end very badly...

Etog Gemglows the Jade is a 390 year old dragon with 57 kills, however he is slow to heal and very weak. My militias have had some good fortune against forgotten beasts down in the caverns, with minimal loss of life. Maybe they can take it out? Time will tell.

After a couple of months of the dragon rampaging around the desert, setting fire to anything living that dared cross its path, I managed to get my trap room set up. wall-to-wall stone fall traps with some ballistae as backup and an army ready to clean up.

This worked surprisingly well. Obviously the #1 prize will be to start taking dragons and forgotten beasts alive, but this is certainly a good start to keeping the 186 denizens of Rockscurl safe from outside threats.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pro tip I just learned:
If you don't like your dwarves running off into the caverns to die constantly, go into the labor menu -> standing orders -> automated workshops and turn off automatic web collection

And probably turn off Workers Gather Bodies in the hauling tab

And in the Refuse and Dumping tab you can set them to auto-dump things like butchered creature nerve tissue and hooves.

edit: oh my god there are so many features in this menu that I wish I knew about from day one, why are the default settings so bad

You can forbid your workers from running out to gather corpses or clean blood off walls during sieges, and you can forbid your dwarves from fishing outside designated fishing zones.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 27, 2022

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
It's easier to take anything not trapimmune alive than it is to kill it. Stepping on a single cage trap will instantly and without fail capture anything that can be hit by traps in the first place.

It's actually so easy and so boring that I refuse to use cage traps on megabeasts, although I'll use them for cave critters and goblins.

E: Good job on killing a dragon without losing dwarves or setting your entire fort on fire, though. They're not particularly sturdy, and not super dangerous in melee combat, but the dragonfire can easily ruin your day if you let it.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 27, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I always found it really weird that creatures cannot break out of cages at all. You can trap a dragon in a wooden cage, and there's nothing it can do about it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Pardon if this has been asked before, but any advice for handling werebeasts? I just had a 200 pop fort that got wiped out by a werehyena attack and subsequent werehyena epidemic. I had a competent militia but they werent in the right place to prevent casualties from the initial attack, and weren’t able to stop the spread from subsequent outbreaks either.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

edit: oh my god there are so many features in this menu that I wish I knew about from day one, why are the default settings so bad

You can forbid your workers from running out to gather corpses or clean blood off walls during sieges, and you can forbid your dwarves from fishing outside designated fishing zones.

Yeah, this obscure hidden menu actually contains the solutions to like 2/3rds of peoples' "my dwarves keep running into danger like idiots" problems. I've tried posting about it a couple times in the thread before, but you can't expect people to read an entire 800 page thread.

A completely new OP would be nice to have. An admin edited in a few tips for the steam version in the bottom, but the top of the post still makes it look like it's completely outdated.

Takanago posted:

Pardon if this has been asked before, but any advice for handling werebeasts? I just had a 200 pop fort that got wiped out by a werehyena attack and subsequent werehyena epidemic. I had a competent militia but they werent in the right place to prevent casualties from the initial attack, and weren’t able to stop the spread from subsequent outbreaks either.

Don't engage them in melee. Hole up with a drawbridge or something and wait for them to untransform, and then they'll run away, or you can kill them safely. If you must engage in melee, or you can't keep them from attacking anyone in melee, then your only option is to go through the entire combat log, line by line, and isolate any dwarf that has been bitten.

You can disable them from appearing entirely in advanced world generation options, which is what I do, because I don't find having to dig through combat logs - especially ones that you can permanently click out of - any fun at all.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Takanago posted:

The moment the attack starts, lock the doors and wall everyone in. Then pump in the magma. There is no saving those damned souls.

If you feel like it, you can use water instead since it doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are if you have no open space above you to breathe from, but that makes everything muddy and we want to keep our fortresses clean.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Takanago posted:

You can disable them in world gen settings (set the number of werebeast curse types to 0) but other than that I don't think there's much you can do about them outside of something extremely grognardy like manually combing through combats logs to see which dwarves were wounded by a werebeast and then locking them in a room or throwing them at the bottom of a pit for a while to see if they transform

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pro tip I just learned:
If you don't like your dwarves running off into the caverns to die constantly, go into the labor menu -> standing orders -> automated workshops and turn off automatic web collection

And probably turn off Workers Gather Bodies in the hauling tab

And in the Refuse and Dumping tab you can set them to auto-dump things like butchered creature nerve tissue and hooves.

I somehow have missed this in ~50 hours. Also missed that you can set the F keys to location shortcuts using a button in the top right, thought F1 was the only useable one somehow and that it was stuck to your embark location :negative:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMlb_ht31UU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So after experimenting a bunch with the new labour system and reading Putnam's different post about how its supposed to be used I think this now functions better than the old DF Therapist spreadsheet job caste system. The trick is really to let everyone do everything, and then just assign a worker to a workshop if you want that person to skill up - and only do work orders from a specific workshop if you want masterwork items. For jobs where skills matter and there is no workshop (like planter), then the "only selected do this" thing works. You still need to setup a custom work detail with a doctor etc, but pretty much everything runs fine this way. The system assigns jobs efficiently this way, so things are in general done quicker than the old way. I've noticed a few hiccups where a mining job didn't get started for quite some time since everyone was hauling, so you occasionally need to manually override it by restricting the dwarves to specific work details.

I'm not sure if they changed anything with happiness for the steam edition, but in my last two forts roughly 15% of my immigrants have been dwarves impossible to please. Not even mist generators or extravagant personal rooms seem to help. Depression-prone, people who love socializing but are bad with personal relationships and people with a strong need for friends and family at other fortresses. In addition there's a bunch of people with downright psychotic traits (want to cause mischief, fight, quick to anger etc). I wish they would prioritize balancing this, because continually exiling people for being difficult is a weird solution.

Takanago posted:

For every fort where I plan to run it for an extended period of time I just turn the werebeasts off at worldgen. The ease with which it spreads is just an unfun mechanic thats a big hassle to deal with.

Dante fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 27, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

We probably do need a new OP, but do we need a new thread or should we just like - write a new OP and link to it from the top of the old one or something? Seems a shame to overwrite the old OP somehow. If someone wants to write up a new OP we can kick off a new thread, it's not the worst time to do it. We can collect good stories from this one.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

HopperUK posted:

We probably do need a new OP, but do we need a new thread or should we just like - write a new OP and link to it from the top of the old one or something? Seems a shame to overwrite the old OP somehow. If someone wants to write up a new OP we can kick off a new thread, it's not the worst time to do it. We can collect good stories from this one.

This is a personal pet peeve, but a new thread would be better I think. The game is old, but it really did take off on steam and its a lot more accessible to new people now. The 800+ page megathreads are kinda tough to get into if you haven't posted here for years.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

M_Gargantua posted:

Your frame rate malus is 75%
1) fluid physics
2) pathfinding through moving fluid
3) pathfinding through locked doors

Get rid of as much fluid and never lock a door and even a huge fort will have playable framerates

does the never lock a door thing apply to floodgates and drawbridges too? just thinking of the best ways to control access to rarely used sections of the fort

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dante posted:

You still need to setup a custom work detail with a doctor etc, but pretty much everything runs fine this way.

you don't need to give doctors custom work details if you've already associated them with a hospital i'm pretty sure

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

This seems a bit rough for the first early summer on a new embark. Good biome even, and the nearest tower is >20 tiles away.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dont forget you can exile dwarfs, if you think theyve been bitten just tell em to hit da bricks

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The were-beast thing: you have to comb through the combat logs one by one and look for bites that did more than bruise. If it says bruised the skin, they are fine. If it tears the muscle or says something equally vicious they are infected. You can look at the log of the original were-creature and get an idea of how many people they bit scrolling through that log, but without the names. It'll be were-creature bites a farmer, were-creature bites an axelord, ECT. Once you have your list you can expel them like you would any lovely unwanted dwarf... Unless it's a child. Then you have to expel the parents, or devise some heinous crime against dwarfmanity trap. I had mine be the sole furniture hauler in the fort install a cabinet in my captured creature fighting pit. Poor guy didn't see the door lock behind him. The switch is miles away, the dwarf who pulled it had no idea

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Elves sold me a caged panda, but I didn't have any bamboo on my biome to feed him. So I ended up having to make him into panda merchandise. Panda backpacks and soap anybody?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Hihohe posted:

Dont forget you can exile dwarfs, if you think theyve been bitten just tell em to hit da bricks

one downside to this is they go out into the world and bite more people, you can track this in legends and some of those people might come to your base or just ruin your civ if you intend to build a successor fort in the same general map area

i prefer to have my military just follow them around when the full moon is coming - if your dwarves are trained up they will absolutely dumpster a werebeast and never get hit

another downside is that dwarf might be married to your legendary engraver or w/e and they leave with them

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Son of Rodney posted:

Could someone link the mist generator post pretty please? I've not attempted any water works so far and it's time.

Here's the post I did, but the better information is to watch Twisted Logic's videos about it, since that's where I got the idea:

Dwarven power reactor and stack mist generator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IYsQ9FjtfA
Ring mist generator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srhSdvKXJjs

His videos are pretty good. I may try to set up his Magma Gun as a project soon.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 27, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dante posted:

So after experimenting a bunch with the new labour system and reading Putnam's different post about how its supposed to be used I think this now functions better than the old DF Therapist spreadsheet job caste system. The trick is really to let everyone do everything, and then just assign a worker to a workshop if you want that person to skill up - and only do work orders from a specific workshop if you want masterwork items. For jobs where skills matter and there is no workshop (like planter), then the "only selected do this" thing works. You still need to setup a custom work detail with a doctor etc, but pretty much everything runs fine this way. The system assigns jobs efficiently this way, so things are in general done quicker than the old way. I've noticed a few hiccups where a mining job didn't get started for quite some time since everyone was hauling, so you occasionally need to manually override it by restricting the dwarves to specific work details.

Do you have the link to this post? It sounds much like how I handle things but I'd like to read it. I used to really micromanage dwarves' jobs and it was an enormous pain in the butt, especially for large migrant waves. Nowadays, once I have more than a handful of dwarves, I just let everyone do everything unless I really need something done right away.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

The were-beast thing: you have to comb through the combat logs one by one and look for bites that did more than bruise. If it says bruised the skin, they are fine. If it tears the muscle or says something equally vicious they are infected. You can look at the log of the original were-creature and get an idea of how many people they bit scrolling through that log, but without the names. It'll be were-creature bites a farmer, were-creature bites an axelord, ECT. Once you have your list you can expel them like you would any lovely unwanted dwarf... Unless it's a child. Then you have to expel the parents, or devise some heinous crime against dwarfmanity trap. I had mine be the sole furniture hauler in the fort install a cabinet in my captured creature fighting pit. Poor guy didn't see the door lock behind him. The switch is miles away, the dwarf who pulled it had no idea
This, but also as far as I know clawings will spread it in the same way.

I mark all dwarves that recieved open wounds WERE as a custom title, seal them each behind their own wall until they transform to be sure, and then release and exile them.

Sometimes you get surprise non-infected. Like for instance, a dwarf in a recent fort who lost a whole arm to a werebeast without getting infected somehow.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 27, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I just got this for Christmas and I'm loving it but I'm extremely confused about what to do when a dwarf "claims" a building. My carpenter claimed the carpenter workshop and now I can't put any work orders in so I can't make beds or doors or anything like that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The dwarf is trying to create an artifact and asking for materials to make it and will go crazy if he/she doesn't get them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i just dont use cage traps, tho having no prisoners around to randomly accuse of crimes is a let down

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
They've gone into a strange mood, and are trying to make an artifact. They'll move around grabbing items for a little bit. If they stop moving on top of the workshop, and you haven't gotten a message about them starting to make an artifact, click on the workshop and you'll get a hint about the kind of items they're missing.

If you don't get them what they want after a certain amount of time (about half a season), they'll go insane and die in short order.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cowman posted:

I just got this for Christmas and I'm loving it but I'm extremely confused about what to do when a dwarf "claims" a building. My carpenter claimed the carpenter workshop and now I can't put any work orders in so I can't make beds or doors or anything like that.
That's a strange mood, which dorfs sometimes get possessed by - if you have the requisite parts (which you can figure out by looking at the workshop and possibly consulting this list of spoilers), you'll get an artifact and the dwarf will receive a huge boost to experience they have with the particular skill being used (usually this is enough to make them legendary skilled, but it's not a guarantee).

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do you have the link to this post? It sounds much like how I handle things but I'd like to read it. I used to really micromanage dwarves' jobs and it was an enormous pain in the butt, especially for large migrant waves. Nowadays, once I have more than a handful of dwarves, I just let everyone do everything unless I really need something done right away.

Sure! I'd recommend reading this dev post first from him that outlines the intention and then afterwards his post on reddit. I used to micromanage it intensely as well, but this new paradigm of assigning work to dwarves instead of dwarves to work is really quite a bit better. Even compared to the very micro-managed 100+ dwarf forts, jobs get done much quicker this way. It takes some getting used to, but I like it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Thanks everyone! I just started so I'm probably going to lose that dwarf to insanity but there's always more dwarfs.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cowman posted:

When a Dwarf claims a workshop, that usually means they're having a Strange Mood. Basically it has a sudden bout of creative mania, either from spontaneous inspiration or a curse or a ghostly possession or whatever, and now they desperately HAVE to create some specific thing. This produces a random legendary Artifact that can be incredibly useful or totally useless, but no matter what will be very very valuable and of high quality.

These Artifacts usually have rather a lot of strange material ingredients that the Dwarf in question will grab from around the fort and cobble together in the workshop. When you try and queue up a job in the Workshop does the Dwarf say that it needs something? Maybe some cryptic mumblings? If so, get it to them, because if they can't get the doodads their inspiration says is needed for their construction, they'll have a nervous breakdown that can range from suicidal lethargy to murderous berserker rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

This, but also as far as I know clawings will spread it in the same way.

I mark all dwarves that recieved open wounds WERE as a custom title, seal them each behind their own wall until they transform to be sure, and then release and exile them.

Sometimes you get surprise non-infected. Like for instance, a dwarf in a recent fort who lost a whole arm to a werebeast without getting infected somehow.

having spent the last 100 or so hours dealing with werebeast attacks and going through logs i think it is just bites that break the skin, i haven't seen any other kind of wound spread the infection but ymmv