Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
holy gently caress I wish I had only $100k left in my bank account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Big ups to whoever does the graphics

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah whoever does those rules tbh

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I believe the guy hires two people, who alternate editing. One recently left to start their own channel and did a video a bout. I assume he hired another to replace her.

(fortunately from her video It seems he's the opposite of an rear end in a top hat to work for)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dr_rat posted:

I believe the guy hires two people, who alternate editing. One recently left to start their own channel and did a video a bout. I assume he hired another to replace her.

(fortunately from her video It seems he's the opposite of an rear end in a top hat to work for)
Yeah, I saw her video and she had praise for LegalEagle, she just wanted to work for herself and try a new thing.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
NYT reports: Actually, crimes are good

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1607453713148280840

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You’ll find this with every criminal who spends money in a different place than he steals it from. loving Escobar had people sad he got busted because he put a tiny fraction of his drug fortune into making some really awful neighborhoods less bad.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah whoever does those rules tbh

I know the dude who does some of these for an unnamed company and yes, he does excessive volumes of weed. I'm his boss and yes he did invite me to his farm to smoke weed and it's not my thing any more but I appreciate his work and generosity.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

You’ll find this with every criminal who spends money in a different place than he steals it from. loving Escobar had people sad he got busted because he put a tiny fraction of his drug fortune into making some really awful neighborhoods less bad.

SBF loaned himself billions from the hedge fund he founded and used it to 'donate' to local police, among others. Generally speaking, dudes from Palo Alto are banned from bribing foreigners, but stealing money to pay off local law enforcement in furtherance of an ongoing fraud is a classic crime move

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The guy who wrote the Big Short was literally an embedded reporter following SBF for the last six months leading up to his arrest so we're sure to get some INCREDIBLE books and movies out of this fiasco.

He can call this one The Big Shorts

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

drk posted:

Generally speaking, dudes from Palo Alto are banned from bribing foreigners

Well, in theory. You just can't bribe them directly anymore. So what you do is you hire a local facilitator that's familiar with local bureaucracy to help make sure all your forms are filled out and given to the right people to keep your project moving along. This local consultant is of course very expensive and what happens with that giant sack of cash you paid the consultant is none of your company's or government regulator's concern.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

Well, in theory. You just can't bribe them directly anymore. So what you do is you hire a local facilitator that's familiar with local bureaucracy to help make sure all your forms are filled out and given to the right people to keep your project moving along. This local consultant is of course very expensive and what happens with that giant sack of cash you paid the consultant is none of your company's or government regulator's concern.

This job sounds lit. Anybody want help doing foreign direct investment in Canada?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

I had to take mandatory company training on how to identify, find this person, and then, never said verbally but very strongly implied, forget how to ask questions.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
:nms: thread is pretty grim, it gets worse

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1579150601833058306

This is the future Libertarians want

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
That's grim. Blerg.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Just watched “Smartest Guys In The Room” about Enron’s downfall and BOY there are a lot of parallels

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Sausages posted:

"I don't trust the men with guns. I trust the men with guns"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

upsidedown posted:

He can call this one The Big Shorts

Bitcoin: The Big Shorts

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nybble posted:

Just watched “Smartest Guys In The Room” about Enron’s downfall and BOY there are a lot of parallels

Enron and FTX both have the same bankruptcy lawyer working as CEO. John J Ray III.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Sausages posted:

There certainly are some choice quotes in that thread, including how Kamil insists that the way to reduce violent crime in US cities is to "allow a mafia to emerge" and the statement that "non-violent environments are abnormal," i.e. some sort of weird-rear end belief that in the "real world" you get hunted with spears and guns. Human-on-human violence is the abnormality created by lovely environments, not humans just coexisting peacefully, unless you have a truly busted-brain perception of humanity.

I think I would take like 99% of statements by this Kamil person with a basketball-sized chunk of salt.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

PurpleXVI posted:

There certainly are some choice quotes in that thread, including how Kamil insists that the way to reduce violent crime in US cities is to "allow a mafia to emerge" and the statement that "non-violent environments are abnormal," i.e. some sort of weird-rear end belief that in the "real world" you get hunted with spears and guns. Human-on-human violence is the abnormality created by lovely environments, not humans just coexisting peacefully, unless you have a truly busted-brain perception of humanity.

I think I would take like 99% of statements by this Kamil person with a basketball-sized chunk of salt.

i couldn't even make it past the first post. if you honestly believe that elon musk is some kind of "disruptive innovator" then you live in some alternate fuckin reality and have nothing to say about this one

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think his ideas are dumb but that fake hidden prison thing is sinister as hell

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think his ideas are dumb but that fake hidden prison thing is sinister as hell

You could probably convince someone to hand over their seed phrase in a place like that. I thought that's where we were going instead of an Ayn Rand styled musings.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
which do you suppose is a cheaper way to get someone's crypto passwords from them: build a fake prison to keep them in until they crack, or take a $5 pair of pliers to their nuts

the pliers are going to pay for themselves a whole lot quicker, i think

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kamil is absolutely insane crank famous for 50+ tweet threads about measuring Russian skull shapes for criminality. Every real expert who’s read one of his threads in their field has said he’s full of poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

which do you suppose is a cheaper way to get someone's crypto passwords from them: build a fake prison to keep them in until they crack, or take a $5 pair of pliers to their nuts

the pliers are going to pay for themselves a whole lot quicker, i think

"you are trapped in Russia, give me your password"

"hosed up if true"

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
People casting Jonah Hill aren’t thinking actorly enough.

Timothee Chalamet is going to go full method and schlub it up for 12 months to win the Oscar as SBF.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just get the guy who gets paymon'd in Hereditary and...old in that Old movie

have him gain some wait and bam, same pensive sweaty vibes

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PurpleXVI posted:

Human-on-human violence is the abnormality created by lovely environments, not humans just coexisting peacefully, unless you have a truly busted-brain perception of humanity.

IDK Human on human violence is pretty endemic to the species. I'm reminded of the epigraph from Blood Meridian:

quote:

"Clark, who led last year's expedition to the Afar region of northern Ethiopia, and UC Berkeley colleague Tim D. White, also said that a re-examination of a 300,000-year-old fossil skull found in the same region earlier showed evidence of having been scalped"

-The Yuma Daily Sun, June 13, 1982

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I kept thinking about casting the guy who plays Badger in Breaking Bad. No weight gain needed and he can play dumb just fine

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PurpleXVI posted:

Human-on-human violence is the abnormality created by lovely environments, not humans just coexisting peacefully, unless you have a truly busted-brain perception of humanity.

It really isn't, though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Cain was just after Abel's binance password all along

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah there’s a LOT of evidence out there to point to Hobbes being more right than he was wrong about the human “state of nature”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Edit: which doesn’t mean that you abandon the trappings of modern society like “laws” and “prohibitions in torturing your neighbor for his password” because it’s “unnatural” or whatever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PHILO 100 TA: "let me ask of you, do you lock your doors at night? Do you hide your crypto behind SHA256 encryption in a birdbath?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There's two separate ideas that are being conflated: 1) the idea that violence defines interpersonal relationships and 2) the idea that violence defines inter-group relationships. The 2nd proposition is pretty much undisputed, and a lot of Randbrained people use that as an argument that the 1st proposition must be true as well. But anthropological evidence indicates that people tended to take care of their own, which undermines the 1st idea. Paleolithic corpses routinely get dug up of people that lived for decades with debilitating injuries or even congenital defects that would have made them a considerable burden to take care of, but they still got to live to a ripe old age (at least by paleolithic standards) and don't bear obvious markers of further trauma. This doesn't mean that early humans didn't come into violent conflict between groups (anthropologists dig up other remains that testify to that), but it does demonstrate a high degree of cooperation existed within groups without being a weakness that left them vulnerable to violence from outsiders (or these remains would be much younger and be marked with violent deaths.) I assume this is what PurpleXVI is getting at; violence has been part of our natures from the start, but not to the insane dog-eat-dog levels projected by libertarians.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

PHILO 100 TA: "let me ask of you, do you lock your doors at night? Do you hide your crypto behind SHA256 encryption in a birdbath?"

Where those loving treacherous birds can just up and steal it?

hell not.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the holy poopacy posted:

There's two separate ideas that are being conflated: 1) the idea that violence defines interpersonal relationships and 2) the idea that violence defines inter-group relationships. The 2nd proposition is pretty much undisputed, and a lot of Randbrained people use that as an argument that the 1st proposition must be true as well. But anthropological evidence indicates that people tended to take care of their own, which undermines the 1st idea. Paleolithic corpses routinely get dug up of people that lived for decades with debilitating injuries or even congenital defects that would have made them a considerable burden to take care of, but they still got to live to a ripe old age (at least by paleolithic standards) and don't bear obvious markers of further trauma. This doesn't mean that early humans didn't come into violent conflict between groups (anthropologists dig up other remains that testify to that), but it does demonstrate a high degree of cooperation existed within groups without being a weakness that left them vulnerable to violence from outsiders (or these remains would be much younger and be marked with violent deaths.) I assume this is what PurpleXVI is getting at; violence has been part of our natures from the start, but not to the insane dog-eat-dog levels projected by libertarians.
Libertarians basically take the idea that a person only has themselves as the in-group and extrapolates from there for maximum sociopathic results. "What if the tribe was only me," muses an absolute moron, as he gets brained with a large bone by the rather larger tribe that he alienated.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

the holy poopacy posted:

I assume this is what PurpleXVI is getting at; violence has been part of our natures from the start, but not to the insane dog-eat-dog levels projected by libertarians.

Pretty much, I feel like unless there's a truly hosed culture, or various societal/economic pressures cranked up to extremes("I gotta mug you or I can't pay for my insulin, sorry"), people are generally wired to not enjoy and seek out violence against others. If the absence of cops and laws made people instantly snap into "kill and eat other people"-mode, then we wouldn't ever have made it past the first guy to invent a pointy stick.

Though I do also feel like the perspective of "violence defines inter-group relationships" very easily turns into some "there can never be a compromise solution with outsiders, we are designed to kill and murder the different"-excuse for grim and misanthropic worldviews. Part of why I tend to glance askance at anyone who confidently states that "humans are tribal creatures!" because it usually comes as an introduction to attempting to excuse their own bigotry or why we shouldn't try to have a more progressive society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

people thought crypto might go up in value and chose to park some money in coinz™️

sbf has the trappings of being a schlubby non-threatening rich person’s kid involved in that TECH™️ stuff we’ve heard about

money people recognized sbf as being a member of their privileged class (one of the dumpy weak ones dependent on mom and dad’s money), which was reassuring because hey thats our in on this whole TECH™️ thing, we can trust him he is just like my nerdy son/daughter/nephew who I control with money

sbf given billions of dollars: takes drugs, jerks off in the corner, eats SHRIMP™️, steals money, gives billions to girl who let him feel her up at band camp, does not at any point attempt to earn profit

actual economy hiccups a bit and money people unpark some of their coinz™️ back into money money

asked where the money is, sbf shrugs, asks for SHRIMP™️, twitches druggily

*curb your enthusiasm theme*