Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a strange fowl posted:

i don't implore anybody to watch cool world because it is unwatchable, but i transcribed it on these forums for reasons i will never be able to explain

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974175

lol this is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

babypolis posted:

the more i think about avatar 2 the more baffling it becomes. like nobody i saw it with could explain or understand why spider was in the movie

because its cool to live in harmony with nature with your blue catpeople family.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Glass onion spoilers but a very stupid Ben Shapiro tweet

just finished glass onion and lol at lil benny here

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Coonskin is both racist and woke. Ralph Bakshi's connection to black people is like Nick Mullen with the Chinese.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

Coonskin is both racist and woke. Ralph Bakshi's connection to black people is like Nick Mullen with the Chinese.
it's racist and tone deaf, but simultaneously imbued with a deep and sincere love of black people and just as deep and sincere a contempt of the italian mafia, both of which bakshi expresses in a unique and extraordinary way. many sides

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

q=/=e

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Xaris posted:

that's right. lol bakshi was extremely discomforting to watch as a kid

has anyone actually watched any of bakshis other movies like coonskin or wizards?

Heavy Traffic is interesting

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1607520036448763904

:sad:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

a strange fowl posted:

it's racist and tone deaf, but simultaneously imbued with a deep and sincere love of black people and just as deep and sincere a contempt of the italian mafia, both of which bakshi expresses in a unique and extraordinary way. many sides

Mantis42 posted:

i watched it on vimeo this evening and yeah. like it's almost so racist but in it's love and ridiculing of racism and hatred of white hoorah america that it becomes woke and anti-racist. like you could almost say it's not racist in the academic sense. bizzare as hell that's for sure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

did you expect otherwise

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I posted in the movie thread about it a few times, but I cannot get over the central pillar of Knives Out being here's a man who has incredible influence over politics, art, science, and entertainment, who will suddenly be held to task by the same institutions he has incredible influence over because he allowed a painting to burn up. They gave this man a literal Epstein island and we are supposed to accept that it's just over for him at the end of the movie.

Also the way that the movie frames the most radical form of action as property destruction is also really interesting to me. When confronted with proof that her sister was murdered and the destruction of the only evidence with the power to correct the deceased's public image, the MC elects to destroy a bunch of crystal statues and set fire to his house. That's it. There's a secondary character who earlier tries to kill the MC out of anger over a second murder committed by the villain, and she also is completely neutralized when it's revealed that the true murderer is one of the wealthiest people on the planet.

I understand why you might elect to not have these characters commit a retaliatory murder or engage in violence (even if I think it's the most human reaction possible in the context of the film), but I find that metastasized ideology to be really interesting. We all know these motherfuckers have IRL plot armor, so why bother even suggesting violence against him?

It's such an interesting unconscious premise imo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a new study bible! posted:

I posted in the movie thread about it a few times, but I cannot get over the central pillar of Knives Out being here's a man who has incredible influence over politics, art, science, and entertainment, who will suddenly be held to task by the same institutions he has incredible influence over because he allowed a painting to burn up. They gave this man a literal Epstein island and we are supposed to accept that it's just over for him at the end of the movie.
still Glass Onion:

he's invested 100% of Alpha, basically all of his on-paper value, in the magical fuel that destroyed the Mona loving Lisa, dumbass

her flat rejection of that move is specifically why he pushed her out of the company in the first place

did you fail to understand the last bit where she called him a dumbass?

stringless has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Dec 27, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

that's right. lol bakshi was extremely discomforting to watch as a kid

has anyone actually watched any of bakshis other movies like coonskin or wizards?

Wizards is great. Fritz the Cat is pretty good. Cool World is hilarious.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

FFT posted:

still Glass Onion:

he's invested 100% of Alpha, basically all of his on-paper value, in the magical fuel that destroyed the Mona loving Lisa, dumbass

her flat rejection of that move is specifically why he pushed her out of the company in the first place

did you fail to understand the last bit where she called him a dumbass?

People will still use the magic crystals regardless of if it blows up houses.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyway, it's not really about whether the resolution "makes sense." I just think it's interesting how internalized it is that the impetus for any sort of retaliatory action is offloaded onto ambiguous authoritative institutions-- the market and the courts (despite the fact that the movie straight up tells us they don't work.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I said it before: if you set a bunch of gasoline or uranium or coal next to the Mona Lisa, and someone who is mad at you for defeating her sister in a spurious lawsuit (as he will claim) sets it on fire, the Mona Lisa will burn, and yet we still use those fuels. This will get half of everyone mad at him for allowing the Mona Lisa to burn, but the other half will reflexively take his side and nobody will blame the fuel.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Xaris posted:

i watched it on vimeo this evening and yeah. like it's almost so racist but in it's love and ridiculing of racism and hatred of white hoorah america that it becomes woke and anti-racist. like you could almost say it's not racist in the academic sense. bizzare as hell that's for sure.
heavy traffic and hey good lookin' are also like this. they are both more autobiographical than c*skin (i prefer calling it harlem nights, its original title) so more honest depictions of reality as experienced by ralph bakshi

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

loquacius posted:

I said it before: if you set a bunch of gasoline or uranium or coal next to the Mona Lisa, and someone who is mad at you for defeating her sister in a spurious lawsuit (as he will claim) sets it on fire, the Mona Lisa will burn, and yet we still use those fuels. This will get half of everyone mad at him for allowing the Mona Lisa to burn, but the other half will reflexively take his side and nobody will blame the fuel.

I'd just break his skull open with one of those idiotic sculptures. Guess I'm a bad person IDK.

The movie show us Whisky trying to kill Helen when she thinks that she killed Duke. However, when she learns that a rich white guy did it, all of a sudden it's a job for the authorities to sort out.

a new study bible! has issued a correction as of 13:57 on Dec 27, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xaris posted:

did you expect otherwise

no I didn't, it's always a safe bet that a streaming service's new fantasy program will be a shitpile

7% audience rating is apocalyptically bad though

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

if you want the actual plot hole for Glass Onion it's why didn't any of them check the garage with a running car in it?

might not even be a plot hole since their hearing is probably all hosed from years of sporadic gunfire

stringless has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Dec 27, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

I'd just break his skull open with one of those idiotic sculptures. Guess I'm a bad person IDK.

The movie show us Whisky trying to kill Helen when she thinks that she killed Duke. However, when she learns that a rich white guy did it, all of a sudden it's a job for the authorities to sort out.

To be absolutely fair, in addition to being a rich white guy, Miles was somebody she was loving. It was at least partly toward cynical ends, but the same could be said for Duke. But the fact he's a rich white guy probably had something to do with it too yeah. Whiskey is as much a shithead as the rest of them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

no I didn't, it's always a safe bet that a streaming service's new fantasy program will be a shitpile

7% audience rating is apocalyptically bad though

It's probably bad but I'm sure some chunk of that negative audience score are folks who are (rightfully) annoyed that Cavill is no longer part of the series, even tho it's a prequel he wouldn't have appeared in anyways.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

weirdly enough i think glass onion actually undersells how stupid the murderer was because there were so many problems with the plan that werent addressed the most obvious one being that the only reason the first murder goes as well as it did was because of the delay in getting the police involved get rid of the delay and all of a sudden the murderer is way easier to blackmail the second murder likewise doesnt really solve any problems that just acceding to the blackmail doesnt already solve much more efficiently but it creates a major escalation that as has already been mentioned provokes another character into a fairly predictable grief stricken rage

this is never minding the fact that until the delay issue is resolved theres no particular reason why the blackmailer couldnt have just blabbed the incriminating information to anyone and everyone since there was no reason to think it was a secret and indeed its entirely possible everyone did already know theres no indication that they dont

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

i'm rewatching and the first "pancake" bit yeah the name isn't mentioned in the subtitles but you see and kinda hear him say it anyway, but if you watch closely the first run when the phone becomes the focus the actions are plainly visible if you know what you're looking for

stringless has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Dec 27, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Whiskey was the only good character in Glass Onion

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Whiskey was the only good character in Glass Onion

outrageous Darryl erasure imo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

loquacius posted:

outrageous Darryl erasure imo
"Derol" according to the credits lmao

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it's funny how the rock has been grinding for 20 years in the movie business, self-promoting like crazy, honing his "hot ripped dude next door"image etc. and then dave bautista who looks like someone serving a triple life sentence fior steroid induced multiple homicide leapfrogs over him like it's nothing

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the rock's only good appearance in cinema is Southland Tales

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

weirdly enough i think glass onion actually undersells how stupid the murderer was because there were so many problems with the plan that werent addressed the most obvious one being that the only reason the first murder goes as well as it did was because of the delay in getting the police involved get rid of the delay and all of a sudden the murderer is way easier to blackmail the second murder likewise doesnt really solve any problems that just acceding to the blackmail doesnt already solve much more efficiently but it creates a major escalation that as has already been mentioned provokes another character into a fairly predictable grief stricken rage

this is never minding the fact that until the delay issue is resolved theres no particular reason why the blackmailer couldnt have just blabbed the incriminating information to anyone and everyone since there was no reason to think it was a secret and indeed its entirely possible everyone did already know theres no indication that they dont

this is because the writer was also stupid

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is because the writer was also stupid

which really pisses me off because there’s that long monologue about the stupidity of the glass onion as a symbol. The onion, a mysterious bulb that has to be peeled back layer by layer, only transparent, which removes all mystery and motive to reveal it. And yeah, it is a stupid symbol in the movie for sure.

But while Benoit was talking poo poo about it, I could only think how all of those same criticisms almost equally apply to the movie itself. It wants to present as a mystery, but as that it loving sucks. In fact a central conceit of the movie is that it’s loving stupid.

And I can’t believe that the writer was smart enough to recognize that he was writing about the movie itself when he composed that monologue.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Doktor Avalanche posted:

it's funny how the rock has been grinding for 20 years in the movie business, self-promoting like crazy, honing his "hot ripped dude next door"image etc. and then dave bautista who looks like someone serving a triple life sentence fior steroid induced multiple homicide leapfrogs over him like it's nothing

he probably should have considered being in a few good movies here and there

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Rock should consider maybe wearing a pair of tiny glasses, one far too small for his face.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zokari posted:

Part of the problem with playing it straight down the middle every time. Movies that make a ton of money but no actual dedicated fanbase. Those Marvel guys with dedicated shelves for their Funkopops would cut their own organs out for Bautista if he asked for it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the rock has a very funny manager who is I'm sure enjoying the joke of a career he has built for Rock, while also making tens of millions off him and his exwife.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zokari posted:

Pain & Gain was a good movie

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zvahl posted:

the rock's only good appearance in cinema is Southland Tales

Zokari posted:

pain & gain but i guess playing a cocaine addict criminal didn't fit the wholesome image. or he just didn't get any other roles.

i mean even vin diesel has the iron giant, boiler room, pitch black and find me guilty.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Rock was good in Moana, though it helps that it being an animated movie made by Disney he had far less control than he usually does.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pain & Gain was a good movie

2020 rock would never agree to pain & gain.

He's too far up his own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

praxis of evil
Dec 27, 2022
theyve all been friends with Andi for years but no one knows about her twin sister?