Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Though I do also feel like the perspective of "violence defines inter-group relationships" very easily turns into some "there can never be a compromise solution with outsiders, we are designed to kill and murder the different"-excuse for grim and misanthropic worldviews. Part of why I tend to glance askance at anyone who confidently states that "humans are tribal creatures!" because it usually comes as an introduction to attempting to excuse their own bigotry or why we shouldn't try to have a more progressive society.

I admit I'm definitely glossing over a lot in that statement, to be sure. People today tend to look at what violent conflict means in modern society and extrapolate that backwards to more primitive modes of existence (which are often assumed to be even more violent than us!) But it's the safety net created by advanced social organization that affords modern "civilization" the levels of violence that we're accustomed to. Back in the pointy stick days violence was a lot more tentative because there really wasn't such a thing as surplus manpower and resources to devote to fighting, let alone surplus to devote to supporting the guys doing the fighting. The crazy twitter guy has it backwards: it is not the power of violence that enables nonviolent creation, it is the power of nonviolent creation that empowers violence. The history of human civilization is the history of productivity advances fueling larger and large scale violence.

(He still does somehow wind up at the correct conclusion that Elon Musk is talking out of his rear end every time he comments on security policy, just for wildly incorrect reasons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

kw0134 posted:

"What if the tribe was only me," muses an absolute moron

I love how the perfect Randian superman in the book (who never compromised his vision for anyone, maaan) was a literal rapist.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MokBa posted:

SBF is like 30 years old but he looks like such dogshit that all the actor suggestions are like 40.

That's just because we're old as hell. We think of a 'young' actor and then the guy is 40. When did that happen? Wasn't 1990 10 years ago???

lol :corsair:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What is this non violent entrepreneurship that the Russian prison system is keeping down? Is that where WEALTH CREATORS pay you 90% of a survival wage but, get this, don't beat you up (not even a little)?

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
In today's schade-trade news, GME meme stock is down to $18, its lowest price since the initial meme squeeze. GME apes will continue to buy as much as they can until they have no more left to bag-hold with.

Crypto bros have already figured out FTX's downfall:

Edit: Cross-posting from the Jordan Peterson thread.

PITY BONER posted:

Jordan is right. Very interesting! I didn't know Bitcoin saved Texas. Wow!

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1607633428492451840

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 27, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ohhyeah posted:

People casting Jonah Hill aren’t thinking actorly enough.

Timothee Chalamet is going to go full method and schlub it up for 12 months to win the Oscar as SBF.

Bonus is every teen/preteen girl will see it and become innoculated against crypto stupidity.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Thank you Bitcoin for popularizing the niche utility "electricity"!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
could it possibly be: bad thing happened one year and then people were more prepared the next? no, it was bitcoin

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

There is a shocking amount of stupidity in that thread.

"We can turn off all the miners taking the load from 101% to 99% when necessary"

So why not turn them off permanently and never have the grid go over 100% in the first place?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

PITY BONER posted:

In today's schade-trade news, GME meme stock is down to $18, its lowest price since the initial meme squeeze. GME apes will continue to buy as much as they can until they have no more left to bag-hold with.

Crypto bros have already figured out FTX's downfall:

Edit: Cross-posting from the Jordan Peterson thread.

The CIA is the most overestimated organization in human history.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strong recommend for Legacy of Ashes, the unoffical CIA history that came out a few years back.

It's literally hundreds of pages of '..and then they hosed up. And just when you thought they couldn't gently caress things up any more, they did'.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think his ideas are dumb but that fake hidden prison thing is sinister as hell

Yeah that's the thread relevant bit, the rest is an explanation via convoluted analogies of how hosed up Russia is, not an endorsement for a violent mafia-run America jfc

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Strong recommend for Legacy of Ashes, the unoffical CIA history that came out a few years back.

It's literally hundreds of pages of '..and then they hosed up. And just when you thought they couldn't gently caress things up any more, they did'.

Yeah, it was a good read and I was like, movies and tv have told me that the CIA is some all-knowing, amazing institution and in reality it’s just constant complete fuckups.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Sausages posted:

Yeah that's the thread relevant bit, the rest is an explanation via convoluted analogies of how hosed up Russia is, not an endorsement for a violent mafia-run America jfc

It’s funny but, remember, Kamil Galeev is a known crazy person. Do not mistake amusement for insight. If he is ever right about anything it is by accident.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Shrimpcoli

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s funny but, remember, Kamil Galeev is a known crazy person. Do not mistake amusement for insight. If he is ever right about anything it is by accident.

Didn't know that. I was enjoying their anti-Russian propaganda even with the obvious falsehoods then stumbled across the fake prison thing... that has no supporting evidence for it being what he says it is beyond plausibility. I'm just surprised that people took his bloviating to be an endorsement of the system he's criticizing.

If only crypto douchebags were too afraid of getting black bagged to be so obnoxious on social media! but it wouldn't be worth living in that sort of society.

otoh crypto "billionaires" are turning up dead more often than regular billionaires.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Where did the photos come from?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
regular billionaires actually have real money and good sense that can afford moving around safely

drk
Jan 16, 2005
A quick refresher on the Mango Markets exploit:

-Guy acquires some low volume shitcoin derivatives
-Pumps the shitcoin hundreds of percent
-With his now temporarily valuable collateral, cleans out project by taking cross-asset loan on the position, exchanging for stablecoins, bitcoin, etc via DeFi contracts. No intention to repay - this leaves the project with a bunch of bad debt.
-Project begs hacker to return most of the loaned coins in exchange for not pursuing it further
-Guy accepts offer, and outs himself on twitter as the mastermind

Then, well:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1607938907009589249

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is too stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1607927931589873665

quote:

Midas Investments announced suddenly that they would be shutting down their platform, which previously enabled users to deposit cryptocurrencies which would then be invested in various defi projects. The team revealed that they had only $51.7 million in assets compared to $115 million in liabilities, a fact they had not disclosed to most of their employees.
Users with assets on the platform will see a significant haircut in what they are allowed to withdraw. Midas intends to keep 55% of the Bitcoin, ETH, or stablecoins held by users in their accounts, as well as any rewards users had earned.

Lest the users be too upset that more than half of their assets no longer belong to them, fear not: Midas will be making up the difference in a new, valueless token that does not yet exist, but that will be associated with some future project that Midas has not described yet. You're welcome!

They've also announced they will be pivoting to "CeDeFi". Yes, that is indeed short for "centralized decentralized finance". No, I am not joking.

Seedy-fi.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

if you're going to accidentally do the noble thing after you commit CRIMES at least live in a country where its difficult to extradite you.. and not say, Puerto Rico, a territory of the United States

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i love all these bitcoin "haircuts" that are down to the waist

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Strong Sauce posted:

if you're going to accidentally do the noble thing after you commit CRIMES at least live in a country where its difficult to extradite you.. and not say, Puerto Rico, a territory of the United States

Cut him a break, it's as close as he could get to fleeing the country since he never have a passport

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah they should do their biz in a place like Guam.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-H1T7ny2Uw

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Meanwhile, in the Netherlands
Dutch Link

quote:

The Bitvavo management has to step in after an imminent shortage

Bitvavo does not have enough equity to fully guarantee the investment of its customers. The Amsterdam crypto exchange maintained that it had sufficient capital in recent weeks if it did not recover 280 million euros in customer money from its financially shaky partner Digital Currency Group. Now there is still a gap of approximately 180 million, writes the FD.

Bitvavo CEO Mark Nuvelstijn and two other co-founders are therefore helping out financially. The company also says it can claim other external funds.

Customers need not worry, according to the management. Digital Currency Group (DCG) was indeed hit by FTX, but Bitvavo would simply get back the 280 million it had in credit.

After questions from the FD, Bitvabo sent the annual accounts for 2021, containing an equity capital of 33.8 million euros on 31 December last year. In addition, the crypto exchange would have achieved a result of 65 million in 2022, together just under 100 million.

Nuvelstijn assumes that the first repayment will take place in the first quarter of 2023, but cannot elaborate on the repayment.

Don't panic, it's completely normal for the owners to start pumping in money while assuring you the other parties are good for their debt. Here, look at last years numbers, they were green. :smug:

:allears:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Isn't this the third time or so this exact thing has happened, more or less? I think it was BitFinex that pulled it first.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Darth TNT posted:

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands
Dutch Link

Don't panic, it's completely normal for the owners to start pumping in money while assuring you the other parties are good for their debt. Here, look at last years numbers, they were green. :smug:

:allears:

I love how these things are like "Our company has a $155m shortfall in our accounts, but good thing our CEO has exactly $155m in his personal bank account!"

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

None of these are “investment funds” or “currency exchanges.”

They are all pyramid schemes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

PurpleXVI posted:

Isn't this the third time or so this exact thing has happened, more or less? I think it was BitFinex that pulled it first.

Celsius and Luna both tried to dig out of their insolvency by offering/saying they would offer new tokens. Luna immediately got exploited, Cel just pivoted to "mine up, stupid." Methods of making up the shortfall.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

spunkshui posted:

None of these are “investment funds” or “currency exchanges.”

They are all pyramid schemes.

I mean, I used coinbase to turn USD into BTC because the place I was buying weed seeds from at the time only took crypto, and even though I know I was just propping up Coinbase's house of cards, the fees they took were substantially less than the crypto discount I got for buying the seeds.

But actually my point is I don't have to do that anymore because pot seeds have become normalized enough I can just buy them at the store in town with my choice of normal payments, and this is generally much better even if it's slightly more expensive.

Oh yea, and it took CoinBase a week to clear the funds for transfer. After they had been debited out of my bank. Pretty sure they just do that because they can, and if you multiply "$100 of CAN" by 10,000 transactions suddenly that's a million bucks you're sitting on and presumably earning interest on etc.

So I'd call coinbase, and coinbase only, less of a pyramid scheme and more of a "predatory currency changer doing fucky things with timelines to maximize their own profit". The same poo poo happens with normal credit transactions to some extent: at least as of the last time I manned a POS terminal in 2005 or so, when I swiped a card it went through an intermediary network which would actually be sitting on the money for 2-3 days before it changed hands from mastercard -> store account. And those intermediaries were doing the same poo poo, in terms of parking on the money for absolutely as long as was legally/contractually allowed, and making interest off it.

naem
May 29, 2011

people want to park some money in crypto™️

someone starts a business that is a crypto™️
exchange

normal money people:

“so you’re going to charge a small fee to transact exchanges of crypto that’s your business? this is a safe and legal business located somewhere with laws and rules? the people in charge are sane and vetted? what are your projected profits and what guarantees are there that money I give you is safe?”

ftx backers:

“hello pudgy shrimp tropical island guy here is a billion dollars, please do not, regulate”

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Even after ALL THIS TIME, I still cannot figure out how these places cause all that money to vanish with nothing to show for it. I know they're stealing it and spending it, but there's more to it than that because it's dozens of millions of dollars that cease to exist and don't seem to be squirreled away anywhere.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Buying tokens and coins that went literally to zero is probably a big part of it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Aside from straight up thefts it seems like at least FTX was run like a bad with money person's personal finances: they didn't really care what "assets" and "liabilities" were so long as the spending they did was covered. Mix in a little rich kid, degenerate gambler, and philosopher-who-doesnt-read-books, and you've pretty much got Sam.

naem
May 29, 2011

PITY BONER posted:

Even after ALL THIS TIME, I still cannot figure out how these places cause all that money to vanish with nothing to show for it. I know they're stealing it and spending it, but there's more to it than that because it's dozens of millions of dollars that cease to exist and don't seem to be squirreled away anywhere.

the money was “invested” into COINZ™️ which are “worth” the amount of money people are willing to point into them, and, held by, um the exchange? (right??)

then people wanted to take money back out of COINZ™️ but because that meant they were “worth” less the “value” fell, which the exchange at no point made plans to deal with

and any liquid money held by the exchange was immediately spent on SHRIMP™️ and beach houses or stolen to give to Band Camp Girlfriend™️

am I missing anything

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah the money went to the people who were selling the chuck-e-cheese tokens. They used that money to buy fancy houses and boats, at the expense of the people who bought the tokens of course. It's just putting a new face and (maybe) level of abstraction on a scam that's been done throughout history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the point was, even extravagant living doesn't seem to account for the number of billions of dollars that have just vanished.