Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Jiro posted:

Man I really need to go back and re-read Rick Remender's X-Force. See if it holds up.
Personally when I reread I really disliked it. I think it is all because of how much I disliked uncanny avengers though. The two books are so similar, and I disliked avengers so much it kind of soured me on x-force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

Land's art on that book is also probably the least bad stuff he's ever done, it raises the bar from 'yuck!' all the way to 'painfully mediocre.'

Although there was a shot with the big reveal of Reverend Stryker and it looks like... well, I am torn between a picture of Joe Biden (likely) or Jimmy Carter (less likely but possible) but with mussed hair. It's hilariously awkward.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
asking in advance of the new Timeless one-shot dropping tomorrow: in spite of last year's tease Miracleman never showed up anywhere in the Marvel Universe, did he? The variant covers from a few months back don't count.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

FoneBone posted:

asking in advance of the new Timeless one-shot dropping tomorrow: in spite of last year's tease Miracleman never showed up anywhere in the Marvel Universe, did he? The variant covers from a few months back don't count.

So far they’ve been reprinting stories from Gaiman’s run, should start with new stories in an issue or two. At that point that promise might materialize.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Extremely interested to see if anyone actually cares about the new Miracleman issue tomorrow. So far pretty much nobody at my store has cared about the reprints, and a thirty years gap in the release schedule means the average reader with any real investment in the characters are in their 60s.

I did really like the Alan Moore stuff, and wish Marvel had bother to put something out other than an expensive Omnibus out this time around. The 35 dollar four issue hardcovers last time they tried flopped so hard they don't count.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FoneBone posted:

I don't think the current editors want to incorporate him into the Marvel Universe according to something Breevort said. Like he wasn't a fan of Watchmen being tied into the DC universe.

He also said it's probably inevitable. But I wouldn't look for it anytime soon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think the current editors want to incorporate him into the Marvel Universe according to something Breevort said. Like he wasn't a fan of Watchmen being tied into the DC universe.

He also said it's probably inevitable. But I wouldn't look for it anytime soon.

Sure, that makes sense, it would ruin the character without improving the Marvel Universe at all. But at the very least make the old stuff available in a reasonable format! DC does it with their prestige series, you can go down to Barnes and Noble and buy reasonably priced nice new editions of Alan Moor's Swamp Thing or Animal Man or Transmetropolitan. Not only is there demand for that content, it improves the standing of the brand to have beloved classic series like that.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had to take out a second job to afford all the Vulpes books coming out these days. The man is an animal.

FURTHERMORE! I had to violate my 'no spending money on Land or Larrocca books' rule this week damnit.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 28, 2022

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Checking out Timeless and let's break down some of these flash-forwards

-Someone's spaceship blows up (maybe Kang's from the previous page, who knows)
-Bucky, as the Revolution, visiting someone (Tony? Kang???) who is imprisoned,
-Tony getting back on the sauce (I think this already happened in Duggan's Iron Man)
-Beast and an army of Beast Clones
-Stephen Strange back in his Sorceror Supreme getup flying through a generic psychedelic background that brings to mind the recent Defenders books
-The X-Men's treehouse, on fire (seems like a likely event to happen during Dark Web, what with all the Inferno antics)

-Namor and T'Challa bury the hatchet
-Pet Avengers
-Wolverine, Spirit of Vengeance
-Some weirdo and presumably a stolen Krakoan ressurection egg
-Brood-infested Carol Danvers (Insert Starcraft joke here)

-Either Nightcrawler, or someone with the same number of digits (but seemingly no tail) in a Spider-Man costume.
-Luke Cage, mayor of NYC (this is already a done deal, though!)
-Some kinda angry bird head
-Bishop, Armor, and Surge on some kind of team? Might tie into Sinister event
-Someone whose belt hit the jackpot (Jackpot... Mary Jane???)
-The Red Goblin is back and this time his head is on fire (Which could either be a Spirit of Vengeance thing or maybe just some Jack O Lantern tech)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

OnimaruXLR posted:

-Pet Avengers
I loved the visual of Lucky wearing an eyepatch

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I did really like the Alan Moore stuff, and wish Marvel had bother to put something out other than an expensive Omnibus out this time around. The 35 dollar four issue hardcovers last time they tried flopped so hard they don't count.

Not sure if this is the reason they flopped but those reprints were recolored terribly, as is the omnibus.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

OnimaruXLR posted:

-Tony getting back on the sauce (I think this already happened in Duggan's Iron Man)

It also happened with Cantwell, he got hooked on opiates after an injury. Eventually went to rehab. Again.

Personally, as a person in recovery I am tired of Tony relapsing as a dramatic hook. Just let the man be sober. We don't need to see him relapse over and over again, its tired. In my opinion it also reinforces the idea that an addict can't just get sober and stay that way, that we just relapse every now and again and its whatever. Just go to rehab again like the average addict can just do that. It would be nice to have a high profile character be able to be a good example of someone in recovery. I'd like that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pym beats wife, Tonys drunk, Pete gets cloned are wells that people will keep going back to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the weirdo's a member of orchis whose name i don't remember because he hasn't done anything memorable yet. what is his name, anyway? he doesn't even rate a link from the orchis wiki page.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pym beats wife, Tonys drunk, Pete gets cloned are wells that people will keep going back to.

Lets give it some actual stakes then, instead of the magic rehab trip. A person's tolerance is low after they've been sober a while, have Tony relapse and get alcohol poisoning. While he's in the hospital, it's discovered that his liver is completely chirrotic due to his years of drinking and he needs a liver transplant. Since he's an alcoholic he isn't going to be top priority for one of those, so he has to face mortality due to impending liver failure. Perhaps if he gets back on the wagon and doesn't drink again he can be a candidate for a transplant, but that's a big if. Maybe he does get it eventually, and that could allow Marvel to take the drat trope off the table. He can finally come to long term sobriety with actual real stakes if he relapses again, he can ruin the donated liver (make it some tragic story of the donor liver for added drama.)

I'm just so tired of it.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
They should just go all in and have Arcade hook Tony up to a breathalyzer that’ll blow up Manhattan if he blows below a .15 like that Jason Statham movie Crank

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought Matt Fraction handled it well in Fear Itself, but I think that's because it wasn't a full relapse, but a deliberate sacrifice, and Fraction being in recovery himself probably helped the writing not be tone deaf about it.

I just realized the movies didn't do anything at all with Tony's relationship with alcohol, which is probably for the best. I remember he drank pretty heavily in the first one, but it never caused anything negative except maybe Pepper Potts getting annoyed at him, then I don't remember him drinking in the later movies, like I'm sure there's scenes where he's drinking, but nothing where it's calling attention to it. Which is a little odd since when RDJ was first announced I remember one of the reasons people were excited about him is the actor's own struggles with addiction and the idea of him being able to bring more truth to that aspect.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
This is why I hate the Krakoa concept Hickman came up with. What are the stakes for liver failure or cancer or whatever when there’s a magic flower that cures every single disease waiting on an island somewhere? Maybe something has changed since the original House/Powers series but it really ruined the whole concept or mortality.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why doesn't Reed Richards just solve every illness and disease if he's so smart?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's a bit in Iron Man 2 where Tony is being lovely and it's kind of a combination of nihilism over his poison implant guilt over his dad theoretically having stolen from Whiplash's dad with a whiff of alcoholism for seasoning

Then we move onto Avengers 2/Iron man 3 and beyond where he spends the entire rest of his life being overprotective in ways that don't help that much

GPTribefan posted:

This is why I hate the Krakoa concept Hickman came up with. What are the stakes for liver failure or cancer or whatever when there’s a magic flower that cures every single disease waiting on an island somewhere? Maybe something has changed since the original House/Powers series but it really ruined the whole concept or mortality.

Steve Rogers helped avert the eradication of sentient life on Earth during AXE and Exodus is still mad that they used their rez tech on him

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
See, this is weird because the recent X-Men Annual made it seem like Krakoan drugs fully cure cancer or something (...or did they? I dunno, maybe they don't say that they are a complete cancer cure; I'd have to recheck). But originally, the drugs weren't some sort of panacea that cured every single disease. They extend lifespans by five years and helped with diseases of the mind specifically. So it's not like it cures diabetes or COVID or something. At least, it shouldn't.
:magemage:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't Iron Man 2 the one where he gets hammered at a party and puts on his armor and starts shooting things while drunk?

Elon Musk was also there to make sure Tony Stark wasn't the biggest shithead at the party

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Wasn't Iron Man 2 the one where he gets hammered at a party and puts on his armor and starts shooting things while drunk?

Elon Musk was also there to make sure Tony Stark wasn't the biggest shithead at the party

I think you've stumbled on the real secret of IM2. It wasn't actually the palladium posioning Tony and ruining his life, it was being close to Musk that did it. Musk was the secret villain of the movie and no one realized.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so timeless is just another kang vs kang story yeah?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who knows, there might be a twist where it isn't.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
IIRC, there was supposed to be an addiction subplot in Iron Man 3 but after RDJ read the scripts it was too difficult for him to deal with, given his past addiction issues and they scrapped it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

so timeless is just another kang vs kang story yeah?

It sure seems like it!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The X-man cometh posted:

IIRC, there was supposed to be an addiction subplot in Iron Man 3 but after RDJ read the scripts it was too difficult for him to deal with, given his past addiction issues and they scrapped it.

This reminds me in the Midnight Suns game when you pick a hangout activity, Iron Man hates 'having a drink' for obvious reasons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think a movie is the right way to handle Iron Man's alcoholism. The impact of the original storyline came from the length of time that he was at rock bottom and out of commission. Just having a second act timeskip where he's drunk for maybe twenty minutes in real time doesn't seem like it would be all that impactful. And maybe not all that respectful.

Different subject matter but it's similar to how Superman's death was handled in the movies. For the audience in real time it didn't feel like he was gone for much time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lobok posted:

I don't think a movie is the right way to handle Iron Man's alcoholism. The impact of the original storyline came from the length of time that he was at rock bottom and out of commission. Just having a second act timeskip where he's drunk for maybe twenty minutes in real time doesn't seem like it would be all that impactful. And maybe not all that respectful.

Different subject matter but it's similar to how Superman's death was handled in the movies. For the audience in real time it didn't feel like he was gone for much time.

In the original demon in the bottle it was one issue. It was when he had his first relapse with Stane he hit rock bottom

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

In the original demon in the bottle it was one issue. It was when he had his first relapse with Stane he hit rock bottom

You're right, I combined the two in my memory. And now that you said that I remember thinking at the time it was "over" quickly when I read it after hearing about it for so long. It's the relapse storyline that ended up sticking with me.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hi all, I'm just getting back into comics and was wondering if there's any good resources about the creation of Marvel and individual heroes?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Marvel: The Untold Story?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
sweet i'll check it out ty

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
Thinking of dusting off a Marvel Unlimited sub and checking out the the Marvel Universe again after falling off hard back around the unfun event double whammy of Civil War II + Secret Empire. Want to start reading stuff that was published after Secret Empire ended.

Has Marvel post-Secret Empire generally been decent? I know there's cool stuff going on with X-Men, and there seemed to have been a couple of months where it looks like the whole thing got Venom'd up. War of the Realms also looked like a fun time.

I realize there's probably been a shitton published since 2017, but I'm game for another deep dive!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
100% go into the soft relaunch of house of x/powers of x and read everything that came out of that aside from fallen angels, which everyone, even the writer agrees sucks. War of the realms was very fun. Make sure to check out everything by AL Ewing and Jed McCay, specifically Immortal Hulk and Black Cat respectively

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A Meatslab posted:

Thinking of dusting off a Marvel Unlimited sub and checking out the the Marvel Universe again after falling off hard back around the unfun event double whammy of Civil War II + Secret Empire. Want to start reading stuff that was published after Secret Empire ended.

Has Marvel post-Secret Empire generally been decent? I know there's cool stuff going on with X-Men, and there seemed to have been a couple of months where it looks like the whole thing got Venom'd up. War of the Realms also looked like a fun time.

I realize there's probably been a shitton published since 2017, but I'm game for another deep dive!

Almost all of the early Krakoa X-Men stuff is really good, with the notable exception of Fallen Angels which is entirely skippable. Marauders is excellent, as is Hellions.

Read The Immortal Hulk.

I wasn't a fan of The King in Black event (the Venom one) but your mileage may vary on that one.

edit: yeah you can't go wrong with Ewing and MacKay

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kelly Thompson's Black Widow was excellent, even if it did waste a really good premise early on and didn't last nearly long enough in general.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Echoing the recommendations for pretty much all of the above, and adding:

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil
Christopher Cantwell's Iron Man
Gerry Duggan's Savage Avengers

All three of these writers are on the "give anything they do a shot" endorsements similar to Ewing, McKay, Wells, Thompson, etc. for me.

In terms of shorter things, Ewing's Defenders & Defenders Beyond were fun and beautifully drawn, and the series of Secret Warps Annuals were incredibly silly and incredibly fun. Ewing's Ant-Man mini-series (soon to be followed up with a Wasp mini) were also a lot of fun.

Rainbow Rowell is currently doing She-Hulk and her Runaways series was probably the first Runaways book worth tracking down since BKV left, and I say that as a fan of everyone who did follow-ups not named Joss Whedon.

Walter Mosely and Tom Reilly (who also did the Ant-Man mini with Ewing) had a Thing mini-series last year that was also very good.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but there are usually any number of good books coming out due to the sheer volume and variety of stuff Marvel cranks out. Even when big franchises or events are lame, there are things off in the corners that are still very enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
You gotta read Ryan North's Squirrel Girl. He wrote a squirrel girl comic that was so good that the next series they handed him is Fantastic Four.