Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

i do risk assessments and FN curves for various public works and that poo poo is already an absolute pain in the rear end with mostly guess work and placeholders. actually determining True Cost is impossible because putting a monetary dollar sign on future life, biodiversity, quantifying time-lag impacts to current life expectency, health care costs, pollution, crop and industrial failures due to climate, housing stock loss both near-term and super long-term, reduction in future population (but would have to determine a baseline for population without ever discovering oil), and a bazillion other parameters. and then the dollar itself is predicated on cheap-energy looted and exploited into the imperial core and holding the globe hostage

$100k to 1 million a barrel of crude wouldn't surprise me.

hence markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mystes
May 31, 2006

When our entire current economy and therefore the value of money only exists because of ignoring the externalities from oil I'm not convinced we can even determine a value from within the system

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
We lost our ability to reckon value when we invented money

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mystes posted:

When our entire current economy and therefore the value of money only exists because of ignoring the externalities from oil I'm not convinced we can even determine a value from within the system

What’s the dollar value associated with the destruction of things we can’t replace? Is it 0 since we can’t replace it? Infinity since we can’t replace it? The current economic value?

Do we consider the “time value of money” which demands we consider the economic value of things in the future to always be less than the economic value of something in the present? After all we can make more money by destroying the biosphere now and growing forever later than saving the biosphere now and preventing that growth.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
oil came out of the ground it makes sense to return it to its home after using

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koirhor posted:

oil came out of the ground it makes sense to return it to its home after using

there is a startup making biooil and putting it back underground lol

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

there is a startup making biooil and putting it back underground lol

just filling up Lord Humungous' fuel depot

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

When I was a doing a college summer stint in a local factory, I had a dude brag about how smart he was dumping his turpentine at his cottage. When I asked why he was dumping turpentine into his water supply he was "the ground will filter it".

For some dumb reason he thought the paint in the turpentine was the problem, and he got a bit more quiet when it dawned on him that he was dumping just the purest filtered turpentine into his well.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

what is the market value of a soul?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crow Buddy posted:

When I was a doing a college summer stint in a local factory, I had a dude brag about how smart he was dumping his turpentine at his cottage. When I asked why he was dumping turpentine into his water supply he was "the ground will filter it".

For some dumb reason he thought the paint in the turpentine was the problem, and he got a bit more quiet when it dawned on him that he was dumping just the purest filtered turpentine into his well.

modern problems require modern solutions (poisoning yourself with modern characteristics)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toggle posted:

depends, how much labor can you squeeze out of it before it’s meat-shell gives out?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

i do risk assessments and FN curves for various public works and that poo poo is already an absolute pain in the rear end with mostly guess work and placeholders. actually determining True Cost is impossible because putting a monetary dollar sign on future life, biodiversity, quantifying time-lag impacts to current life expectency, health care costs, pollution, crop and industrial failures due to climate, housing stock loss both near-term and super long-term, reduction in future population (but would have to determine a baseline for population without ever discovering oil), and a bazillion other parameters. and then the dollar itself is predicated on cheap-energy looted and exploited into the imperial core and holding the globe hostage

More proof of the efficiency of markets. We've reduced the cost of a barrel of oil from a million dollars all the way down to $80!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Xaris posted:

excluding externalities, ol' bucky calculated the true value of a gallon of gasoline to be 1 million dollars in 1981 (Critical Path)

for reference, there's around 19-20 gallons' worth of gasoline in a barrel of oil

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Dec 27, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Xaris posted:

Not sure it should be that complicated, 94% of economic activity takes place indoors, therefore the outdoors = 6% of GDP. For an individual industry divide that by the % that industry contributes to GDP.

Where's my M.Econ and fake Nobel prize?

toggle posted:

Highly deprecated. The available soul pool is a constant, so as the population expands individual souls get thinner and the number of soulless bastards increases. Don't invest in modern souls, like everything else they're very poor quality.

Seriously, I want my mortal remains composted and spread in the forest. At least I can make a small patch of trees and fungi happy for a while.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

can't spell soil without oil!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the more times change
https://mobile.twitter.com/Scotland1983/status/1363471044833648640

the more they stay the same
https://mobile.twitter.com/DKruzman/status/1529835447752474625

dirt roads: the cause of and solution to all of life’s problems

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

can't spell soil without oil!

can't spell belugas without gas

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
“it’s good that the poison is flowing into the waterways actually, because then it will get diluted” -USA agency in charge of protecting environment.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

the solution to pollution is dilution

it rhymes so it definitely holds on a global scale

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Trabisnikof posted:

What’s the dollar value associated with the destruction of things we can’t replace? Is it 0 since we can’t replace it? Infinity since we can’t replace it? The current economic value?

Do we consider the “time value of money” which demands we consider the economic value of things in the future to always be less than the economic value of something in the present? After all we can make more money by destroying the biosphere now and growing forever later than saving the biosphere now and preventing that growth.

https://play.half.earth/

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

post COVID posted:

the solution to pollution is dilution

it rhymes so it definitely holds on a global scale

If the water's fine, add turpentine :hmmyes:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a future where oceans rise while the atmosphere is choked by anti-sunlight particles
the remnants of the human race live on floating barges in forever semi-darkness while in the depths strange and monstrous forms of aquatic life bloom

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

if waterworld is our future I'm going to be so loving pissed

we won't even have the piss recyclers on this timeline!!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

my sibling had a jacket with a li-ion battery pack that she quickly/habitually found a place to plug-in everywhere we went

the stillsuits are coming but they're going to start as electric snugees

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

if waterworld is our future I'm going to be so loving pissed

we won't even have the piss recyclers on this timeline!!

put me down for the role of the hydroholic

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MightyBigMinus posted:

my sibling had a jacket with a li-ion battery pack that she quickly/habitually found a place to plug-in everywhere we went

the stillsuits are coming but they're going to start as electric snugees

My sibling got one of those and no one understood why I thought it was wasteful. We've had normal jackets that work fine for thousands of years!

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

internally i've started making an analogy between ecological changes during the anthropocene and the Great Oxygenation Event 2.4 bya when life figured out water photolysis.

no idea how appropriate that is

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

post COVID posted:

internally i've started making an analogy between ecological changes during the anthropocene and the Great Oxygenation Event 2.4 bya when life figured out water photolysis.

no idea how appropriate that is

what makes you think it’s better reference than the end-permian?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I told this story a long time ago but my dad used to do this and as a little kid I played in the creek behind our house a lot and noticed oil slicks and dead fish and such a lot and one day I was like "hey dad, maybe you shouldn't do that???" and he looked me right in the eye and kept pouring the oil into the hole in the ground.

he's dead now so whatever.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

Unless posted:

what makes you think it’s better reference than the end-permian?

end-permian is probably better in many ways, but i'm thinking along the lines of biological activity changing the environment.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the great carbonation event

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zodium posted:

the great carbonation event

the greatest danger of our oceans absorbing more and more carbon dioxide is that we won't have the collective self control necessary to not drink the fish soda

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Chummed up fish in a soda steam is actually a delicacy

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Gumball Gumption posted:

My sibling got one of those and no one understood why I thought it was wasteful. We've had normal jackets that work fine for thousands of years!

pffft, wasteful. you are but a baby brained contrarian cynic. its much more efficient to heat someones clothes than their whole home.

so instead of sheltering the homeless we'll give them these. oh and no need for landlords to maintain minimum heat levels anymore either. basically everyone that freezes to death going forward is just a dope that forgot to charge their cell phone, which really when you think about it is on them.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

blatman posted:

the greatest danger of our oceans absorbing more and more carbon dioxide is that we won't have the collective self control necessary to not drink the fish soda

grab yourself a can of fish soda
and you’ll be feeling just fine

ain’t nothin’ quite like sittin’ ’round the house
swillin’ down them cans of brine

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Stereotype posted:

yeah it’s because terrorism is cool. I love terrorism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

I told this story a long time ago but my dad used to do this and as a little kid I played in the creek behind our house a lot and noticed oil slicks and dead fish and such a lot and one day I was like "hey dad, maybe you shouldn't do that???" and he looked me right in the eye and kept pouring the oil into the hole in the ground.

he's dead now so whatever.

There was more lead in his brain than in his gasoline