Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s very weird to log in to this thread to see all the complaints because I still have an outrageous amount of fun zooming around, stomping snivelers and bashing dudes into orbit with my thunder hammer. I agree that there are a lot of QOL changes I’d like to see but the game is just super fun to play right now so it’s hard to get too mad about it.

Mostly in this thread i don't see people getting very mad, I just see people who like this thing and who want to talk about how it is deficient or could be better. Like yeah it's a lot of fun but that doesn't mean you can't be critical of it. It is totally okay to not be interested in the criticism too! But critique, especially when it is constructive like it usually is in this thread, can be fun and mentally stimulating all on its own.

I do feel like some people set the narrative as being two sides, angry nerds gnashing teeth vs. galaxy-brain fun-havers, but I don't think that reflects reality for most people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Mostly in this thread i don't see people getting very mad, I just see people who like this thing and who want to talk about how it is deficient or could be better. Like yeah it's a lot of fun but that doesn't mean you can't be critical of it. It is totally okay to not be interested in the criticism too! But critique, especially when it is constructive like it usually is in this thread, can be fun and mentally stimulating all on its own.

I do feel like some people set the narrative as being two sides, angry nerds gnashing teeth vs. galaxy-brain fun-havers, but I don't think that reflects reality for most people

Like most things on the internet it is more engaging to think of conflict in terms of absolutely polarized positions who want to either vehemently defend something on one side and people who want to laugh and rage at every wrinkle and crease on the other in pursuit of "this thing is outrageously terrible." It's actually kind of refreshing to see some nuance and discussion itt to be honest.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the games totally worth 40 bucks as is, but is an early access game and my interest after several dozen hours is mostly gone. Keeping me is mostly down to what their content update schedule is going to look like going forward. VT2's was pretty slow and the promise of this new style of level design is that theyll be able to put out new missions way faster than they did back then.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

240 hours later, I've finished leveling for now. I think I've come to the conclusion that:
A) the 'best' squad is one with each class, they all have a niche that makes a run much smoother when you fill it.
B) they need to tone down the standard shooter enemy damage. It seems pretty silly that a pack of the standard rifleman enemies can murder me faster than three gunners can.
C) Brain burst could stand to scale with enemy health. It's super useful in difficulty 1-3 and falls off pretty fast in 4-5.

Other than those minor complaints the game's a ton of fun. Easily the best squad co-op gameplay out there right now, hopefully all the surrounding stuff gets finished quickly, but :fatshark:.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked this game up on a whim, enjoying it nicely so far. I've never played a horde shooter before, but it scratches a lot of the itch that Mass Effect 3's multiplayer had.

I'm still experimenting with different classes, but I'm leaning towards zealot as my favorite. Veteran feels like it just doesn't carry enough ammo. Although teammates hogging the ammo might have been part of the problem.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Part of my frustration with the game is that I can see just how much better it could be if they pushed it beyond the current almost-working core game loop demo state. That unrealized potential is frustrating, especially from devs who have mostly nailed it in the past.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 28, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've almost bought VT2 a few times recently but instead each time I just play DT again. It feels like I'd be buying a lesser version of the moment to moment gameplay but a better 'metagame'. For those who have both, is that a fair assessment or would you still go back to VT2 even after the DT 'metagame' is fixed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not compelled to go back to VT2, as much as I loved that game. Ranged combat being a significant portion of gameplay in DT already puts it miles ahead of VT2 and how most of the time my ranged weapons are just there for special sniping, and how I need to actually give a poo poo about cover, and having to learn and be smart about timing pushes into gunlines...it's just way more engaging.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've almost bought VT2 a few times recently but instead each time I just play DT again. It feels like I'd be buying a lesser version of the moment to moment gameplay but a better 'metagame'. For those who have both, is that a fair assessment or would you still go back to VT2 even after the DT 'metagame' is fixed.

This is mostly fair, but I’ll add that DT has like 20% of VT2’s meta game while VT2 had like 80% of DT’s minute to minute gameplay, if that makes any sense.

I really want to like it but at this point I think it’s been over a week since I even launched it to check out the shops, and I’m not really missing it. I’ve got a good friend who is an absolute fiend for these kinds of games and will hit them for hundreds and hundreds of hours. His comment really stick sort me: “I dunno man, this one just isn’t grabbing me like vermantide.”

So now we’re mostly playing Dark and Darker interspaced with VT2.

Edit:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

VT's gameplay isn't worse; it's just different. Less of a ranged focus and melee elites/bosses are significantly more threatening. Far better maps and way more content as well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also, no lie, but even this basic rear end vaulting and sprinting make movement so much more engaging than in VT2.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yeah having just binged Dark and Darker and going through serious withdrawals rn I can tell my time with DT is limited. Strongly encourage anyone and everyone to check out D&D, next playtest is in early Feb

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

toasterwarrior posted:

Also, no lie, but even this basic rear end vaulting and sprinting make movement so much more engaging than in VT2.

Yeah that’s the one HUGE thing in VT2 playing it now. gently caress let me sprint.

The other thing is that melee feels a bit floatier, but it’s not too bad. Basically the melee in VT2 is good, but in DT it’s excellent.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I brought this up a couple of pages ago but:

What are people's experience with lag? I've been having an issue where I get no lag at all in Quickplay but the second I group up with friends on the other coast, it becomes a 50/50 crapshoot whether I'll descend into unplayble latency in the double digits complete with disconnects or just have a normal game. I realize physical distance is a factor but it's just so inconsistent.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s very weird to log in to this thread to see all the complaints because I still have an outrageous amount of fun zooming around, stomping snivelers and bashing dudes into orbit with my thunder hammer. I agree that there are a lot of QOL changes I’d like to see but the game is just super fun to play right now so it’s hard to get too mad about it.

It would honestly be easier if Darktide was poo poo because then I could just write the whole thing off and not worry about it anymore, but the gameplay is fantastic. The problem is that all of the systems surrounding the gameplay are infuriatingly bad: the performance, the crashes, the mission selection, the matchmaking, the progression, the story, the itemization, the shop, the other shop, the incomplete crafting system, the unshared resources, the penances, the contracts - all of it BLOWS rear end. It's a ton of fun to play, but it's so loving tedious and lovely to set up. It's just as mind-boggling to see the amount of stuff that Fatshark got right as it is to see how many things they got wrong, especially when half of the stuff they got wrong they had already figured out in the previous game that's based on the same loving gameplay!

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed and confused. How did they gently caress things up this badly when they've shown stunning amounts of competence in every other field?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I still like VT2. I've never thought to myself "this combat is not fun" while playing VT2. DT does have good combat and I can see why people like it more but it absolutely does not feel "lesser" to me. YMMV of course.

Mendrian posted:

So I brought this up a couple of pages ago but:

What are people's experience with lag? I've been having an issue where I get no lag at all in Quickplay but the second I group up with friends on the other coast, it becomes a 50/50 crapshoot whether I'll descend into unplayble latency in the double digits complete with disconnects or just have a normal game. I realize physical distance is a factor but it's just so inconsistent.

I have never experienced outright latency that I've noticed, just sometimes hits do not register at all when they are very obviously connecting.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 28, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith posted:

Fun thing we just discovered via testing: the Crucian Roulette blessing (+% Crit Chance for each empty chamber) is active even when the weapon is stored, meaning it increases your Melee Crit Chance too. Carry around an empty Autogun to boost your crit rate to 100% today!

More fun things: through testing, we have determined that the Zealot only benefits from half of +% Crit Chance bonuses, but Veterans get full benefit!

If other classes also get half benefit, that means that the way universal base Critical Chances were coded is that they applied a 50% reduction to non-Veteran classes that also applies to their Critical Chance bonuses!

I'm going to lose my god drat mind! :shepface:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kith posted:

More fun things: through testing, we have determined that the Zealot only benefits from half of +% Crit Chance bonuses, but Veterans get full benefit!

If other classes also get half benefit, that means that the way universal base Critical Chances were coded is that they applied a 50% reduction to non-Veteran classes that also applies to their Critical Chance bonuses!

Wait, what you're saying applies to all weapons, not just the weird 'ranged weapons contributing to melee' thing? So if my Zealot gets a +10% (let's say) crit chance on something, that's only actually 5%?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Speaking of bugged poo poo, Fire Frenzy (Gain a 4%/6%/8%/10% Power increase against nearby enemies for 1.75 seconds after killing an enemy at close range.) seems to be giving an order of magnitude greater power increase. 71 damage against a flak chest normally, 127 damage against a flak chest after triggering the rank 3 blessing, not ~76 damage as it would really be.

That's an increase of 80% instead of 8%.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 28, 2022

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
OH MY GOD SOMEONE SHOWED ME THE ACTUAL CODE.

code:
templates.weapon_trait_bespoke_autogun_p1_increase_close_damage_on_close_kill (aka fire frenzy)
{
stat_buffs = {
[stat_buffs.damage_near] = 0.04
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
[stat_buffs.damage_near] = 0.06
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
[stat_buffs.damage_near] = 0.8
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
[stat_buffs.damage_near] = 0.1
}
}
}
}
NOTICE ANYTHING WRONG?

:fatshark:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

skaianDestiny posted:

code:
templates.weapon_trait_bespoke_autogun_p1_increase_close_damage_on_close_kill (aka fire frenzy)
{
stat_buffs = {
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
}
}
}
}
NOTICE ANYTHING WRONG?

:aloom:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Kith posted:

Anecdotally this explains a lot. The Revolver I use should crit around 30-45% of the time depending on which Zealot buffs have procc'd, but in my experience it feels /considerably/ less than that which feels loving awful when part of the reason why the Revolver is good is because it's crits hit like trucks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That is extremely fatsharky.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

skaianDestiny posted:

code:
{
stat_buffs = {
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
}
},
{
stat_buffs = {
}
}
}
}
NOTICE ANYTHING WRONG?

No, I don't have number brain, or the will to parse this. Explain.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the load times drive me insane

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kokoro Wish posted:

No, I don't have number brain, or the will to parse this. Explain.

this is a particular blessing. In order from top to bottom it's the tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 and tier 4 of the blessing. Someone forgot to put a 0 in front of the 8 in the .8 on the tier 3 blessing and at max stacks it increases damage by 400% instead of 40% like it should.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edit: Beaten and better explained.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

S.J. posted:

Wait, what you're saying applies to all weapons, not just the weird 'ranged weapons contributing to melee' thing? So if my Zealot gets a +10% (let's say) crit chance on something, that's only actually 5%?

YES. :shepicide:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just lmao at the secret halved crit bonus and secret sprint weaknesses

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Evil Kit posted:

this is a particular blessing. In order from top to bottom it's the tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 and tier 4 of the blessing. Someone forgot to put a 0 in front of the 8 in the .8 on the tier 3 blessing and at max stacks it increases damage by 400% instead of 40% like it should.

Cool. If this is a big issue, I'm sure it'll get sorted out pretty quickly. They've been pretty good about patching this game up (outside of Holiday Season) thus far, and I'm sure this'll get sorted. They've been better about patching DT up over their last product, at least.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kith posted:

Just :lol:. I wonder if that applies to the ogryn and psycher too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

i don't even know how to loving respond to this lmao

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Playing a game where you're the last guy standing and push through like a horde and a ton of elites without getting disabled to get your team honestly rules and is so fuckin fun

doing that, and then have your downed team pick up a bunch of grims because "extra xp man" also rules

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What trips me out is that when you look at the writing credits for this game it lists Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Matt Ward and the story is basically non-existent.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

AndyElusive posted:

What trips me out is that when you look at the writing credits for this game it lists Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Matt Ward and the story is basically non-existent.

if theres not some insane seasonal story progression im going to be incredibly disappointed

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
playing a veteran a bit i'm pretty sure that if the power sword confined you to only using "sidearms", like the revolver or machine pistol, or only did damage with charged, or otherwise had much bigger liabilites than current i'd still use it. it's insane how good it is in all circumstances

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hearing that I would like to dual wield power sword and las pistol

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

if theres not some insane seasonal story progression im going to be incredibly disappointed

This is what I've been assuming as well but if this was the case you'd sure as gently caress think they would've announced it early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The Lucius pattern lasguns are really nice after the hotfix, the Mk II can get the chained shot charge time reduction that with a high charge rate roll can get it shooting nearly as fast as a Kantrael Mk XII

They do enough damage to body shot a lot of stuff on Heresy that would take two shots or need the ability up otherwise on other lasguns so it's been surprisingly competitive for shooter sweeping with high ammo efficiency

I've been using a braced Mk II Autogun with the power gain on close kill and suppress in radius on close kill blessings though and the crowd control on that has been superb for random queues