Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/1607827510959423489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jodowosky's Thor : Fear Itself

Clement as Cul.

That was one thing I wanted to see in the MCU, is the regular heroes going to Asgard for some reason. I actually figured that Infinity War part 1 was going to end with the heroes trapped there while Thanos went to earth or something. I knew that wasn't going to happen after Ragnarok.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/uugwuu/status/1606293665286000640?t=78C3Xi4Lti-hLA0St8QzlA&s=19

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That explains the post credit scene a bit more, I guess he wanted to get that idea down

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Man, that would have been a better movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And that explains why Val is in the movie, but doesn't really have that much to do.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I thought jodorowsky was long dead,whoops.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

And that explains why Val is in the movie, but doesn't really have that much to do.
Yeah that’s what stuck out the most to me from that interview

In the final product she’s the most superfluous part and should have been removed

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
completely unrelated to the current convo but on topic with the thread:

Even though I'll begrudgingly view it eventually, I've yet to see the reeves batman movie because I am just so so tired of solo batman films (in no way shape or form is this an attack on the films qualities). if i hear 'grounded and gritty' one more time im going to lose my mind. it's been all these years and we've never gotten a proper representation of the BatFamily on film, and likely never will, which honestly is a drat shame considering a compotent Screenwriter could play up the Surrogate Family dynamic well

Just please for the love of loving god no more Mob villians

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 29, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely would me way more interested in a Batfamily movie than yet another straight Batman movie.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
an idea for a hypothetical reeves Batman/BatFamily movie I had in my head was Bruce being incapacitated and in a coma. All the characters visit him and reminisce various moments and milestones in their lives with him, each building upon the world of the story and an introduction of sorts for the viewer

honestly just do what The Batman cartoon writers did: Say "gently caress it" and do a huge timeskip where suddenly Nightwing/j'onn j'onzz/justice league

I'm not even kidding

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 29, 2022

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Even though I'll begrudgingly view it eventually, I've yet to see the reeves batman movie because I am just so so tired of solo batman films (in no way shape or form is this an attack on the films qualities). if i hear 'grounded and gritty' one more time im going to lose my mind. it's been all these years and we've never gotten a proper representation of the BatFamily on film, and likely never will, which honestly is a drat shame considering a compotent Screenwriter could play up the Surrogate Family dynamic well

I liked the movie but I have no desire to re-atch it or purchase it on 4k, etc...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

It's da Bat!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Batman was good, I enjoyed that it was a much rougher Batman who sometimes didn’t know what he was doing and had to also lean more on the detective side of the character

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't want to spoil it but by the end of The Batman I thought it was much more in line with the tone of TAS than any other live Batman material.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I also enjoyed the mob characters in The Batman more than in most other media where they’ve been depicted, though it helps that they’re all portrayed as a group of weirdos and eccentrics with just enough restraint on the theatricality to not be outright supervillains.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah The Batman has as it's thesis statement "Being a dark and gritty Batman is a massive failure".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the point is that Bruce spends his time beating up petty thugs while the city is drowning in corruption of all levels because he refuses to be Bruce Wayne

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The Batman wants to simultaneously have Batman be seen as an essential part of the fight against crime, respected enough by Gordon to be allowed free access to crime scenes, but also somehow new and kinda bad at being a Batman. I mean... pick one.

I liked the first hour where they had Batman being competent, that was good poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I didn't have any trouble squaring that particular circle. Gordon is pretty clearly the only person in the GCPD who trusts him. That's the text. Your problem doesn't even seem to be with how they portray Batman, it's with why Gordon trusts him.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Batman was good, I enjoyed that it was a much rougher Batman who sometimes didn’t know what he was doing and had to also lean more on the detective side of the character

This is what I liked so much about it. Dude doesn't just punch his way out of every problem.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah he also causes millions of dollars in property damage and probably killed a bunch of civilians chasing a guy down a freeway in a suped up charger

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were all bad guys.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Unless it’s a Man of Steel-esque leveling of half of downtown with thousands of deaths and injuries, I’m perfectly fine with hand-waving any other superhero-related property damage as “It’s fine.”

The entire pantheon of action movie genre heroes would be criminals guilty of indirect manslaughter otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It has weirdly become a bit if a cliche for the Batmobile to be portrayed in every version as a tank that just runs roughshod through the city that seems kind of unsustainable if Batman is doing this semi nightly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That part kind of especially stood out in The Batman because it’s not like he’s doing all that to stop Joker from poisoning the water supply or whatever; he’s chasing down Penguin, who is very well known and owns a huge bar in town so it’s not like he’s going to disappear forever, to get some info from him. It’s a little overkill

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unless it’s a Man of Steel-esque leveling of half of downtown with thousands of deaths and injuries, I’m perfectly fine with hand-waving any other superhero-related property damage as “It’s fine.”

The entire pantheon of action movie genre heroes would be criminals guilty of indirect manslaughter otherwise.

maybe i shouldn't have said "property damage" like it's some empty building getting a wall blown out since it's more like "causing dozens of serious car accidents at high speed on a busy freeway"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opopanax posted:

That part kind of especially stood out in The Batman because it’s not like he’s doing all that to stop Joker from poisoning the water supply or whatever; he’s chasing down Penguin, who is very well known and owns a huge bar in town so it’s not like he’s going to disappear forever, to get some info from him. It’s a little overkill

Yeah. In the other Batman films its at least generally used during some kind of crisis or big fight. In The Batman it stands out because it seems like its just part of Batman's regular detectiving.

For as much as I completely get what people say about liking the Reeves film for making it more of a detective film, and I do agree it is more of a detective film, it also feels like that film kind of wants to be everything else that has become associated with Batman too and felt muddled to me.

And like, while I agree there's a certain amount of disbelief you have to suspend with action films I do think there's degrees. Like the difference between Batman and John McClane is McClane isn't doing this as a habit. Its an extreme situation that probably had a lot of fallout. And by the third movie he's basically a functioning alcoholic who has a reputation. Even with general super hero stuff or like the Man of Steel thing its one big event often. But if Batman's just tearing up Gotham every time he needs info from some criminal then that seems like an issue.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 29, 2022

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Have you considered that the car was really cool and that scene was rad, though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you rewatch the scene there's actually only 3 cars damaged in the whole thing. 2 directly by Penguin (one looking potentially fatal) and then one that rear ends the Batmobile while trying to stop when Penguin causes the truck crashes. This version very much isn't a tank crashing through the city, although yeah it's still his fault for the pursuit causing it all to happen.

Even when the trucks start crashing and everything starts exploding, there's no cars involved in the chaos. The truck drivers are definitely dead or close to it though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

STAC Goat posted:

But if Batman's just tearing up Gotham every time he needs info from some criminal then that seems like an issue.

It is an issue. It's so much of an issue that violent terrorists use him as an inspiration. Hence the character arc of "I may have hosed this up a bit, maybe I should tone it down a little".

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Vigilantism is illegal and wrong. Batman is a criminal just like the mob, and the Riddler. #LockHimUp

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

site posted:

maybe i shouldn't have said "property damage" like it's some empty building getting a wall blown out since it's more like "causing dozens of serious car accidents at high speed on a busy freeway"

That’s fair and I don’t disagree with that reading, I just think it’s fine within a run of the mill action movie.

Actually, have we ever had a cinematic Batmobile that doesn’t cause mass havoc in the city? Keaton and Batfleck straight up shoot folks, Bale has the whole rooftop jump chase in Begins, I think I remember something about Kilmer or Clooney driving up the side of a skyscraper?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't recall anything from the Schumacher films. But obviously they're much more in the vein of the Adam West goofy comic book interpretation. Like in those versions the Batmobile is basically a really cool sports car someone steals. But when you get "serious" and "grounded" you turn the Batmobile into a tactical military vehicle and have it at the very least bounce off and roll over poo poo. If not just firing missiles in the middle of the street.

Which like... I get. But its become a trope. I actually think I would have liked it if Reeve's Batman just used it to drive fast. Didn't he have a bike? I liked that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Aphrodite posted:

They were all bad guys.

Decent people shouldn’t live there. They’d be happier some place else.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mulva posted:

It is an issue. It's so much of an issue that violent terrorists use him as an inspiration.

but enough about America's Law Enforcement industry!1!1!:colbert:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
looking forward to the day the batmobile is just a hummer with a bat sticker lazily added to the hood

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

looking forward to the day the batmobile is just a hummer with a bat sticker lazily added to the hood

I don't know if WB is gonna let Batman get a hummer onscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Lobok posted:

I don't know if WB is gonna let Batman get a hummer onscreen.

hell, the comics wouldn't even let him hang dong