Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

I still think they should have currents, they work well in Starsector for its hyperspace navigation.

That is a very cool idea actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Currents are a great idea. Help with making rafts worth a drat (at least for a one way trip) and add to logistics stuff for base location planning.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Current base:

It's a good merger of form and function, complete with a secure bay for a longboat, done entirely with legit resources. Probably about 3000 stone, easy. All teraforming was done with a hoe/pickaxe.

I have it set up so there's a public lobby (stocked with mead and food/potions for guests) and resource lobby for wood and stone, but the finished metal and materials are all held behind warded doors.

It's completely monster proof and there's an elaborate tunnel structure to make getting to resources easy even if you are encumbered, and all it takes to secure them is closing a few doors. I even have a portal that's only accessable to the roof with a secret code with a dumbwaiter that allows you to toss material straight into the basement. I only need two portals on site since the main "public" portal goes to a hub.

I particularly like black marble for finally letting me make a flying buttress.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Eifert Posting posted:

Current base:

It's a good merger of form and function, complete with a secure bay for a longboat, done entirely with legit resources. Probably about 3000 stone, easy. All teraforming was done with a hoe/pickaxe.

I have it set up so there's a public lobby (stocked with mead and food/potions for guests) and resource lobby for wood and stone, but the finished metal and materials are all held behind warded doors.

It's completely monster proof and there's an elaborate tunnel structure to make getting to resources easy even if you are encumbered, and all it takes to secure them is closing a few doors. I even have a portal that's only accessable to the roof with a secret code with a dumbwaiter that allows you to toss material straight into the basement. I only need two portals on site since the main "public" portal goes to a hub.

I particularly like black marble for finally letting me make a flying buttress.

Oh man this rules.

I love your inlet leading to a dock in the back of the base, very cool idea Im definitely stealing!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Believe me I didn't want to do it, But the swamp across the stream there had leeches that would just destroy my boat every time if I parked in the stream.

The story for how I ended up there was kind of funny actually. That little inlet is one of the only ways to get from kind of the broader Western hemisphere to the broader eastern hemisphere and I accidentally ran aground on the plains traveling back and forth to get iron. To avoid getting murdered I hopped up on a boulder and put down a portal.

Much later I made that little enclosure in the middle of the base to lure some lox in and farm wheat/flax and eventually just got sick of having my little Meadows base on kind of the rear end end of everything I was doing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Made the mage set and its kind of a waste unless you just play with people. Such a class cannon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Made the mage set and its kind of a waste unless you just play with people. Such a class cannon.

I like it. It's sturdy enough for wandering around And I hate movement penalties. The Magicka regen is very noticeable.

I built the frost stave and with just one magica food and mage armor you can pick off a seeker no prob. Helps you avoid getting mobbed, And you can also spray and pray to slow things down.

Against seeker soldiers It's handy because you'll eventually run out of stamina parrying and smacking them a couple of times If that's all you do. If you quickly switch to the mage staff every second or third Parry You can do a ton of damage and it allows your stamina to regen as well.

I wouldn't necessarily want to go dungeon diving with it but that's what the portal is for. Set down a quick portal in the dungeon and go get your carapace armor for the hard stuff.

I do hope they give us the stuff that allows us to do the next couple levels of gear before the new biome, It seems like - if they wait - whatever the new armor is for the new biome will be better to build then just upgrading the existing stuff.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

joepinetree posted:

It's really strong, but you need all of the staves. The protection shield alone is like 300 extra HP for me. Doesn't help much that your skills start at level zero, either. You can kite and blow up packs of seekers very fast with the fire and ice, fire for aoe and kiting and ice for single target. Magic is also the best way to deal with the boss of Mistlands as well!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Maybe the frost one is better, but i did the embers staff and its pretty much nuke them before they get a single hit on me...

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

How do you cast Raise Dead? I've got the item, which apparently requires 100 eitr, and the best eitr food I know of only takes it to 85

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

How do you cast Raise Dead? I've got the item, which apparently requires 100 eitr, and the best eitr food I know of only takes it to 85

There are 3 foods that have eitr around 80, you might just not have them unlocked yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love fishing in this game so much that I wish there was more of a benefit in the late game, other than some super stamina food that doesn't seem to be THAT much better than what you're able to make for less work.

Also, the bait quest chain absolutely sucks.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love fishing in this game so much that I wish there was more of a benefit in the late game, other than some super stamina food that doesn't seem to be THAT much better than what you're able to make for less work.

Also, the bait quest chain absolutely sucks.

Is there a way to fish while sailing? I've tried fishing from the moving ship but it always gives me "line broke" immediately. This is a huge letdown because I would fish and sail more if that were an option.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there a way to fish while sailing? I've tried fishing from the moving ship but it always gives me "line broke" immediately. This is a huge letdown because I would fish and sail more if that were an option.

If you slow your boat down, it keeps moving, but if you quickly get out, it stops the boat completely, and getting back in at that point keeps it at a standstill.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I built a lazy rear end bridge across the river next to our house, maybe 1m above the water. Turns out this was an amazing idea because fish jump onto it and then die, and then I just pick them up.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
That works really well with docks too

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I feel like fish are quite broken...

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Agreed but don't tell me it isn't fun watching them fling themselves all over the place

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

Agreed but don't tell me it isn't fun watching them fling themselves all over the place

This is exactly how I was able to somehow jump ahead to misty bait; randomly picked up whatever fish is required for it. I'm missing like three bait recipes and I couldn't possibly care less.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is exactly how I was able to somehow jump ahead to misty bait; randomly picked up whatever fish is required for it. I'm missing like three bait recipes and I couldn't possibly care less.

I feel like if they just removed the current system and implemented Stardew Valley fishing we'd all be better off. Valheim fishing is remarkably bad.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the beginnings of a little island base!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grabbing them as they leap out of the water is much more fun than normal fishing

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I kind of soured on island bases because I inevitably run out of space after a while and raising ground to make more room takes a ton of time. I still try to build on peninsulas but frankly the main priority for me these days is proximity to as many different biomes as possible so as to minimize the time it takes to gather various resources later in the game. The most fun base I had was actually at the intersection of black forest, swamp and plains, and I would regularly sit at the top of my castle's observation tower and watch epic battles between greydwarves, trolls, draugr, skeletons and fulings.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

OwlFancier posted:

Grabbing them as they leap out of the water is much more fun than normal fishing
Not so fun when one of the poisonous puffer fish got stuck in the ship and was constantly poisoning me

Eifert Posting posted:

Against seeker soldiers It's handy because you'll eventually run out of stamina parrying and smacking them a couple of times If that's all you do. If you quickly switch to the mage staff every second or third Parry You can do a ton of damage and it allows your stamina to regen as well.
You can just climb on any rock and they won't follow you, soldiers are really bad at climbing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
On a separate note, I wish we could transmute metals in this game. Maybe an alchemy station that lets you convert higher tier metals into lower tier ones, and upgrading it gives you more options. The conversion rate can be low enough such that transmuting at scale wouldn't make sense, but it would really help in situations where you're in the silver age and need to craft something that takes one or two bronze or whatever, and all you have is iron and silver.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah. Or as often suggested, unlock the teleportation and trading of previous-tier metals.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Is there any mod that lets me precisely move an already placed object? I need to move a placed object about a meter down in the Z axis and destroying -> replacing will not work.

This is why: I'm goofing around with ValheimRaft and while I made a super fancypants longship, but then I decided to put some storage and quarters below deck. I've been using the "raftcreative" mode that puts your boat in the air and completely still so you can build without the waves moving everything constantly.

Turns out the initial raft piece you place sets up the flotation line for the whole ship, so all my storage/quarters are constantly half submerged in water when I put the boat down. Oops.

Destroying the center [MB_RAFT] object untethers everything else from the raft (since it doesn't exist anymore) and therefore ruins the whole build. The other alternative is to rebuild the whole thing 1m higher but gently caress that, I worked on the thing for like a week. Help I hosed up.

E: found a mod to move stuff, the whole thing gets dragged down with the raft core, gently caress. Oh well I'll have a soggy hold.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 28, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

anatomi posted:

Yeah. Or as often suggested, unlock the teleportation and trading of previous-tier metals.

I'm way more conservative on how easy the game should be than most, and I'd still like Ashlands to introduce a Large Portal that you can take Lox and Carts through.

I'd keep the metal limitations in place tho

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sometimes I honestly think that part of Iron Gate's design philosophy for Valheim is the obliteration of convenience. Thank god for mods because I sure as poo poo wouldn't be playing the game without things like crafting from containers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

johnny park posted:

Sometimes I honestly think that part of Iron Gate's design philosophy for Valheim is the obliteration of convenience. Thank god for mods because I sure as poo poo wouldn't be playing the game without things like crafting from containers

An option to retain inventory on death would also be nice because I am never going to not fly back there and pick it up anyway. The game is already far more grindy than it needs to be.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like if they just removed the current system and implemented Stardew Valley fishing we'd all be better off. Valheim fishing is remarkably bad.

See, I disagree; too many fishing parts in games rely on a mini game. That's not necessarily bad, but I greatly prefer how Valheim's fishing is handled; the fish has to physically come in contact with the bait in order for you to be able to hook it.

Pro tip: try fishing from a boat or from a higher up spot; looking down at the water so you can actually SEE the fish makes it so much better.

This, to me, is a lot like Ocarina of Time fishing, which I also love. Stardew's is fine for what it is, I don't mind it but I'm thankful valheim's is more involved.

I just really hate the bait system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What would be very nice is if you could spearfish or bowfish as well. I dunno if the harpoon works for that?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Washin Tong posted:

Is there any mod that lets me precisely move an already placed object? I need to move a placed object about a meter down in the Z axis and destroying -> replacing will not work.

This is why: I'm goofing around with ValheimRaft and while I made a super fancypants longship, but then I decided to put some storage and quarters below deck. I've been using the "raftcreative" mode that puts your boat in the air and completely still so you can build without the waves moving everything constantly.

Turns out the initial raft piece you place sets up the flotation line for the whole ship, so all my storage/quarters are constantly half submerged in water when I put the boat down. Oops.

Destroying the center [MB_RAFT] object untethers everything else from the raft (since it doesn't exist anymore) and therefore ruins the whole build. The other alternative is to rebuild the whole thing 1m higher but gently caress that, I worked on the thing for like a week. Help I hosed up.

E: found a mod to move stuff, the whole thing gets dragged down with the raft core, gently caress. Oh well I'll have a soggy hold.

Try Move Piece. I've not used it myself, but it fits what you're looking for on paper

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

johnny park posted:

It definitely is. The big thing that sets this game apart from others in the genre is making gathering resources (particularly metals) an actual expedition that requires planning and investment and time and risk of loss. And I like that about the game, I think that's the entire secret to its success and what caused it to massively explode on release. Nothing else really captures that essence and its pretty special. Your first road to cart around copper, your first boat ride returning home with a load of iron, your first stormy encounter with a serpent - it all actually feels epic in a wonderfully satisfying way.

Having said that, considering that a pretty normal playthrough where you're going through the steps the game obviously intends for you to go through easily takes like 60+ hours (I'm finishing up my second whole playthrough and steam clocks me at over 200 hours in the game), ways to reduce the grind would be really helpful. Getting a consistent source of fine wood is a huge PITA if you plan to build anything besides a poo poo-shack, getting stone takes absolute eons, and by the end of the game the iron grind is absurdly loving tedious. If you only had to grind plains-tier stuff when you got the plains and mistlands-tier stuff when you got the mistlands it wouldn't be so bad, but still having to go back and grind out all the poo poo from the previous biomes can be truly painful towards the end of a run.

I have enjoyed the mistlands content, but the amount of grinding the game needs by the end has burned me out, I'm about to fight the final boss and I'm mostly doing it so that I can say I did, by now playing feels more like a chore than something fun. Even with some light modding to make things less grindy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got the plains house mostly done.

I do like setting up on coastal islands or peninsulas, makes securing the area much easier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taffer posted:

Having said that, considering that a pretty normal playthrough where you're going through the steps the game obviously intends for you to go through easily takes like 60+ hours (I'm finishing up my second whole playthrough and steam clocks me at over 200 hours in the game), ways to reduce the grind would be really helpful. Getting a consistent source of fine wood is a huge PITA if you plan to build anything besides a poo poo-shack, getting stone takes absolute eons, and by the end of the game the iron grind is absurdly loving tedious. If you only had to grind plains-tier stuff when you got the plains and mistlands-tier stuff when you got the mistlands it wouldn't be so bad, but still having to go back and grind out all the poo poo from the previous biomes can be truly painful towards the end of a run.

I don't think I would play without the better trader mod that lets you convert stuff into cash and cash into stuff you need. Lot less tiresome to take a boat trip to the trader with a hold full of black metal and barley and sail back with a hold full of iron.

Also for stone I enjoy the Rune Magic mod that lets you summon stone formations and demolish them for piles of stone, I think there's even a spell you can find that lets you smash entire stone objects at once, stone for days. Plus the actual runes are cool too, being able to create a zone of calm seas or run on water by freezing it under you are good fun, and the repair zone and weatherproofing zone both sound fun. Also the trader mod sells stone for cheap if you don't want to bother with that.

I think honestly the trader solves a lot of the issues because anything you are overproducing can be turned into stuff you need.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 28, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

personally against removing portal restrictions/making travel in general more effortless. Me and the lads love creating checkpoints out in the woods, flattening terrain and making slopes for wagons, and creating docks and bridges in order to transport ore and tons of material from increasingly distant locations. A good, proper wagon train of like 5 people, or a fleet of small boats crossing the ocean with the ore, is really fun. And it gives those people who want to just relax and build something to do other than work on their 10000th longhouse or boss killing platform.

I really like the involved effort it takes to be really loaded with materials. Sure it's a little tedious but I feel like that gets mitigated a lot when you're making stops at structures you've built along roads and routes you've created to wait out a night. It's hard to explain but building up infrastructure and actually using it is so satisfying. It's also led to a lot of tense situations like attempting to take on challenges like bosses and exploration into new territory without drowning in all of the best gear with easy replacements back at home.

Even if it's a disable-able option in the game files somewhere, I still wouldn't want it, as it would still influence the team's future design decisions away from the slow, deliberate dedicated task setup they have now. Not against people modding in free unlimited restriction portals or whatever of course lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 28, 2022

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Making useful infrastructure is awesome. But making me grind kinda sucks, especially if grinding mats never gets easier.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the actual gathering materials part I don't really have an opinion on. it doesn't bother me personally but I've got a pretty high tolerance for spending several in-game days slapping a big mound of ore lol. It's mostly the transporting of the goods once you've gathered it all, and the risks and effort behind all that, that I'm interested in keeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Babe Magnet posted:

personally against removing portal restrictions/making travel in general more effortless. Me and the lads love creating checkpoints out in the woods, flattening terrain and making slopes for wagons, and creating docks and bridges in order to transport ore and tons of material from increasingly distant locations. A good, proper wagon train of like 5 people, or a fleet of small boats crossing the ocean with the ore, is really fun. And it gives those people who want to just relax and build something to do other than work on their 10000th longhouse or boss killing platform.

I really like the involved effort it takes to be really loaded with materials. Sure it's a little tedious but I feel like that gets mitigated a lot when you're making stops at structures you've built along roads and routes you've created to wait out a night. It's hard to explain but building up infrastructure and actually using it is so satisfying. It's also led to a lot of tense situations like attempting to take on challenges like bosses and exploration into new territory without drowning in all of the best gear with easy replacements back at home.

Even if it's a disable-able option in the game files somewhere, I still wouldn't want it, as it would still influence the team's future design decisions away from the slow, deliberate dedicated task setup they have now. Not against people modding in free unlimited restriction portals or whatever of course lol

It's worth noting that the multiplayer experience in this game is significantly different than singleplayer in many respects, and substantially easier in general. The division of labor makes progression way faster; you can send different people to different biomes, or give them different tasks in the same biome, or assign people to different tasks in the base. Two of you can clear out a swamp dungeon while the others prepare a nice path outside for the cart to smoothly roll back to the ship. Several people can quickly dig out a silver vein while one person takes care of any wolves or drakes that approach. One person can focus on making sure the smelters are running at all times while another handles farming and cooking. And so on.

Now imagine having to do all of those things yourself. Sure, you may need fewer resources and a smaller base, but you still need to make all the trips on your own, gather everything on your own, and carry it back on your own. Building robust infrastructure doesn't make sense when it's just you, because the entire point of infrastructure is that it should scale. Just like a public transportation system used by just one person wouldn't make sense, establishing a road network with cabins along the way doesn't make sense when it's just you using them once in a blue moon. Not only that, but activities that you might delegate to others in multiplayer because you don't find them fun have to be done by you in singleplayer, and that can quickly cause burnout.

Which is why things like whether metals can be taken through portals should be game settings. There should also be sliders that control how much resources stuff requires to build/craft (like a global multiplier between 0.25x to 1x), how strong and fast and numerous the mobs are, how fast ships and carts travel, and many other things. There's no reason for the devs to impose their own ideas of how the game should be experienced and played — they can just balance everything according to the default settings, and let players tweak them to their liking.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 28, 2022