Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

send nudles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Turns out I managed to get sick over the 24th and 25th

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://i.imgur.com/RwOZrqx.mp4

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I have a bunch of fur scraps I need to craft into toys because these boys go goofy for them:
https://i.imgur.com/xZp4tzt.mp4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pudding really wants Vasco to play with him

IT HAPPENED

https://i.imgur.com/1hYQMYt.mp4

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 24, 2023

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

New bedding test: approved so far by the cat

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

in-laws came over on christmas and tippy was scared! she made it to safety though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
pud pud and vasco :kimchi:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Roosevelt posted:

in-laws came over on christmas and tippy was scared! she made it to safety though

It's tippy :3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kwyndig posted:

It's tippy :3:

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's tippy who is a cat
Who is a cat and cute at that
It's tippy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/DcpI9Jm.mp4

Pudding's been trying to get Vasco to play all morning, then...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LMAO Pudding keep it up you'll get through.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not so theoretical question: If a feral cat ran in your house and you can't find it and don't even know if it's there anymore, how would you find out?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I would simply jiggle a bag of cat food until the cat appears. Failing that I would just move out

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TOOT BOOT posted:

Not so theoretical question: If a feral cat ran in your house and you can't find it and don't even know if it's there anymore, how would you find out?

Get another cat. Cats instinctively join up with each other. Not that they like each other, it's strictly for fighting.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not speaking in euphemisms, one of the half-wild cats that hang out around the outside of the house ran in and I can't find her and since I haven't had a sighting she could still be in here. The last time and place I saw her was in the bathroom hall about 24 hours ago. It's possible she just ran back out the way she came in when I went to get my wife but gently caress if I know.

We have cats and they're acting normal but I have reason to doubt their perceptiveness on this matter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1. Look for the cat outside.
2. start searching the house top to bottom basically. dont overlook furniture with space in them.
3. march from room to room banging pots and pans til the cat flees or the cops are called.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TOOT BOOT posted:

couple toots from a can of compressed air in any room will summon the cat

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boogalo posted:

LMAO Pudding keep it up you'll get through.

I know it's like if he started throwing play swats at that point he'd have gotten the playfight he wanted. Instead he lost his nerve and backed out. He was zooming around the house passing real close to Vasco, stopping in front of him, then running off, repeat again for half an hour before this.

One day Pudding, you'll wrassel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A kitten came and visited quill the other day and I just found out that the kitten had some worms in it's poop (unknown amount, no photo, etc). I'll call the vet tomorrow but how concerned should I be? The kitten was playing all over my living room but didn't like drink/eat from the same container or anything like that. Quill never really came near the kitten but has been on the same blankets and poo poo since that time. Quill had dewormer ointment when I got her about 1.5 years ago. She's acting normal. Anything I should do in the meantime besides be very frustrated that the kitten wasn't also given deowormer? The person is saying that the vet 'checked and didn't think [the kitten] had worms so they didn't do deworming' which kinda smells like bullshit to me since that kitten was rescued from a literal garbage container.

My brother had his dog here since then as well so I'll have to let him know. Super frustrated.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I was given a goofy little robotic coin bank for Christmas and Leon will not leave it alone.

https://youtu.be/6adYPTc2cKE

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

VelociBacon posted:

A kitten came and visited quill the other day and I just found out that the kitten had some worms in it's poop (unknown amount, no photo, etc). I'll call the vet tomorrow but how concerned should I be? The kitten was playing all over my living room but didn't like drink/eat from the same container or anything like that. Quill never really came near the kitten but has been on the same blankets and poo poo since that time. Quill had dewormer ointment when I got her about 1.5 years ago. She's acting normal. Anything I should do in the meantime besides be very frustrated that the kitten wasn't also given deowormer? The person is saying that the vet 'checked and didn't think [the kitten] had worms so they didn't do deworming' which kinda smells like bullshit to me since that kitten was rescued from a literal garbage container.

the most common tapeworm in cats must be ingested through an intermediate host, the flea

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/tapeworm-infection-in-cats

(parasite lifecycles can be loving weird, man)

if the kitten didn't have fleas quill is probably safe from da wormz

also, according to that link, your kitten's human probably isn't bullshitting. a brief vet office visit can't reliably find tapeworm, and they probably don't want to unnecessarily prescribe a dewormer

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering the prevalence of worms in kittens, you'd think it'd be different and vets would be more prepared to do a fecal test to detect worms.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks. It just blows me away that a rescued cat from a garbage can wouldn't be more investigated or treated prophylactically. No fleas I don't think and I actually mopped the floor extensively after that cat was here because Christmas poo poo. Ugh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 24, 2023

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
This is how Nelis likes to sit:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

too many poasts without cattes. a friend of mine lost two of his buddies this year, so i asked another friend to help memorialize them:

arlow:

pippa:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aww. Those are good memorial pictures.

I got one done for Cookie too.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 24, 2023

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

too many poasts without cattes. a friend of mine lost two of his buddies this year, so i asked another friend to help memorialize them:

arlow:

pippa:

Good pictures. I would love to have a cat to play pinball with. And a pinball machine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Considering the prevalence of worms in kittens, you'd think it'd be different and vets would be more prepared to do a fecal test to detect worms.

quote:

You should note that tapeworms are not readily diagnosed with routine fecal examinations. Because of this, you should notify your veterinarian when tapeworm segments are found in your cat's stool.

my translation: a single sample likely won't have any tapeworm segments in it even if the cat has a worm, so it's up to the catte's butler, who is the person that gets to see all the poop (if they so choose)

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks. It just blows me away that a rescued cat from a garbage can wouldn't be more investigated or treated prophylactically.

it sounds like despite how gross it is, a tapeworm does little or no harm to the cat. if this were otherwise, i'd guess lots of vets would just prophylactically prescribe a deworming pill, but since there's no harm in waiting, lots will choose less intervention

i'll also go out a little further on this limb and guess that vets might not want to bother deworming a freshly rescued cat until the owner has any flea situations well under control, and that can take months (because fleas loving come back if you don't nuke them properly (ask me how i know)). deworming meds don't prevent future worm infestations, they just kill the worm(s) currently in the cat, so until you're sure all the fleas and flea larvae are dead, there might not be much point in deworming

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

cute blorb

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BobHoward posted:

my translation: a single sample likely won't have any tapeworm segments in it even if the cat has a worm, so it's up to the catte's butler, who is the person that gets to see all the poop (if they so choose)

it sounds like despite how gross it is, a tapeworm does little or no harm to the cat. if this were otherwise, i'd guess lots of vets would just prophylactically prescribe a deworming pill, but since there's no harm in waiting, lots will choose less intervention

i'll also go out a little further on this limb and guess that vets might not want to bother deworming a freshly rescued cat until the owner has any flea situations well under control, and that can take months (because fleas loving come back if you don't nuke them properly (ask me how i know)). deworming meds don't prevent future worm infestations, they just kill the worm(s) currently in the cat, so until you're sure all the fleas and flea larvae are dead, there might not be much point in deworming

Thank you, it all makes a lot of sense. I'm not really grossed out and I'm a lot less stressed knowing that this isn't the kind of thing that transitions to heartworm etc. I mistakenly thought the deworming ointment that Quill (and all new kittens?) got was for 'all worms' but I guess it was just bloodstream worms or something.

Should I be examining Quill's feces for worms? I work in human healthcare and I'm not put off by this in the slightest. Yes I'll be calling my vet regardless.

I'm still up at 6am unable to fall back asleep thinking about it but Quill is happily asleep between my legs so I should follow her lead.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Man, my vet is super militant about dewormer and insisted on deworming Niko (despite records of him being dewormed in-shelter) because she didn’t think the shelter’s was thorough enough. He came to the shelter with fleas though, so maybe she was right.

There’s a lot of different fecal parasites, but tapeworm specifically is pretty identifiable. A roommate’s cat got tapeworm and she ID’d it because there were, what appeared to be, little grains of “rice” where Marzipan slept. :barf:

Anyway here’s a palate cleanser:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where did we get that it was tapeworm from? VelociBacon didn't say that initially, did they? Could have been roundworm.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

weed nanner

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

:unsmith:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crocobile posted:

There’s a lot of different fecal parasites, but tapeworm specifically is pretty identifiable. A roommate’s cat got tapeworm and she ID’d it because there were, what appeared to be, little grains of “rice” where Marzipan slept. :barf:

MikeJF posted:

Where did we get that it was tapeworm from? VelociBacon didn't say that initially, did they? Could have been roundworm.

Yeah the owner of the kitten found small worms in the rear end area of the kitten and those kind of things on the bedding. I saw a photo and it looks very much like what I see online for tapeworms.

Thankfully I have a washer/dryer and I've just put everything through them. I never saw the kitten scratching and Quill hasn't been acting like she has fleas either. I called the vet this morning and they weren't super concerned - they advised monitoring for signs of tapeworms and going from there. They didn't seem keen to deworm without seeing worms in Quill's poop/fur/bedding, which is fine by me. She's going in next week anyways for vaccines so they'll take a look then. Thanks everyone for easing the stress.

e: Quill enjoying a couch:

Quill not enjoying me vacuuming that couch (vacuum fell beside her when she was a kitten and she's hated it since):

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 28, 2022

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Enhance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

that's a fine blep