Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

You will be the one that we get to make the tea in the old folks home we will all be in.

By the time most of you lot get old there will be mandatory euthanasia when you hit 60.
Soylent Green anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

When we're boomers we'll be stuck with strategy games and turn based RPGs as the only things we can still play

Ah yes, when I'm old...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

buncha old fossils all in separate rooms playing quake 3 over lan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

By the time most of you lot get old there will be mandatory euthanasia when you hit 60.

InshAllah

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, another day over, still never had to Find x.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All that time at pirate college for nothing.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Just in awe at the whiskers on this bebe.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
And yeah, I did the hand-eye coordination thing too.

But more fool them, I actually had dyspraxia!

Or as it was better known amongst the scientific community of 1980s parents, clumsiness, inattentiveness, laziness, he's doing this on purpose.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Just in awe at the whiskers on this bebe.

I bet they're really big headed about the size of their whiskers! :dadjoke:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's basically my pension plan

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My skill level at video games is all over the place these days. My reaction times are so much worse than when I was younger, but my capacity for working out puzzles and the underlying meaning of the plot and dialog options is so much broader than when I was a kid.

But remembering npcs names and locations are terrible, so unless there's a quest journal and a map that provides me a wayooint for Big Jim in Questport, I'm probably not going back to him to hand it in unless there's a wiki with maps and screenshots.

Also I cannot for the life of me work out discord and trying to remember the name of things while playing, so usually end up like "you have to uh... shoot the thing. The bird. The diving bird. No bird diving left, what's the loving... oh, we're dead again and it's my fault."

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I've been playing a lot of retro indie platformers because my gaming skill only just extends to jump, double jump and a little spin attack if you're lucky, for a treat

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I remember keeping a manual quest log in a little notebook for Wind Waker, it was very satisfying tidying it all up

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I found my diary for everquest a while back with all the maps and coordinates and notes for whatever else before qol was invented

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When we got our first computer I got my parents to play the games to practice their mouse control. My mum was always infuriated by the Backgammon game because even on hardest it would make stupid moves.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Currently playing dragon quest treasures and it's so goddamn relaxing. Just roaming a giant open world digging up artifacts from the other dragon quest games with a magical pig that shoots lasers, a king slime and a cat made of lightning, picking flowers while they loving murder everything around me.

Also my pig is called bealtie.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[url]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/27/critics-mocked-rishi-sunak-homeless-man-business

Critics mocked Sunak for asking a homeless man if he is in business. The critics are wrong
Simon Hattenstone and Daniel Lavelle
Tue 27 Dec 2022 17.06 GMT

Simon Hattenstone is a features writer for the Guardian. Daniel Lavelle writes on mental health, homelessness and social care and is the author of Down and Out: Surviving the Homelessness Crisis

When Rishi Sunak asked Dean, a homeless man at a shelter, whether he was in business and wanted to get into the finance industry, many liberals were quick to ridicule him. Angela Rayner gleefully posted the video, calling it “excruciating”. The shadow levelling up secretary, Lisa Nandy, said: “How much more out of touch could this prime minister be?” Those of a more sympathetic disposition called the conversation “awkward”.

Of course, Sunak has a well-earned reputation for not being in touch with the “common people”. In a 2001 BBC documentary, the then-21-year-old Sunak boasted of the breadth of his friendships. He said: “I have friends who are aristocrats, I have friends who are upper-class, I have friends who are, you know, working-class,” before correcting himself immediately. “Well, not working class.”

He famously wears £450 Prada suede shoes (a bargain by Prada standards) and bespoke £3,500 Henry Herbert suits. And there is the small matter of his personal fortune. He and his tech heiress wife, Akshata Murty, are worth an estimated £730m. He is quite evidently not one of us, as Margaret Thatcher might have said.

This is a man so removed from the everyday world that he appears to get a kick from role-playing service-sector jobs. In 2020, he impersonated a waiter at Wagamama to promote his ill-fated (and fatal) “eat out to help out” scheme after lockdown. Now he’s serving a full English with a smile. What began as a publicity stunt is beginning to look dangerously like a fetish. And there he was last Friday in front of the cameras, serving breakfast to the down and out when Dean appeared.

But stop for a moment: was the ridicule fair? Was his much-derided exchange with Dean at the Passage homelessness shelter in London really that awkward or inappropriate? Was the PM and former Goldman Sachs banker assuming that Dean was one of his own, or was he simply treating him with respect?

Look again at the exchange: “Are you sorting the economy out?” Dean asked Sunak.

“Well, that is exactly what I am trying to do,” the PM replied while serving him a very full English breakfast. By now they were on first name terms.

Dean: “Best for business.”

Sunak: “Do you have … do you work in business? Do you want some fruit?”

Dean: “No, I’m homeless. I am actually a homeless person. But I am interested in business.”

Sunak: “Yeah? What kind of business?”

Dean: “I like finance. It’s good for the city. When finance and stuff does well, we all do well in London.”

Sunak: “Yeah, that’s absolutely right. So I used to work in finance actually.”

Dean: “Yeah, I heard. Ex-investment banker.”

Sunak: “Is that something you’d like to get into?”

Dean: “Yeah, I wouldn’t mind. I don’t know. I’d like to get through Christmas first.”

What did Sunak say that was so wrong? He was chatty, engaged and responded to Dean’s interest in business by talking about his own experience. Why shouldn’t Dean have been in business or had a business and fallen on hard times? Plenty of business people have, and are doing so at an accelerating rate.

In October the Office for National Statistics reported that company insolvencies in England and Wales had hit a 13-year high in the three months to the end of June, with 5,629 insolvencies – the highest quarterly figure since 2009 when the UK was in the grip of the global financial crisis.

Insolvency leads to people not being able to pay their rent or mortgage. Not being able to pay rent or a mortgage leads to homelessness. It’s not a complicated equation. The sad reality is that over the next few years we are likely to see more and more people with failed businesses ending up homeless.

The fact that this conversation became a source of hilarity for so many people says more about us and our prejudices than it does about Sunak. It suggests that we think all homeless people are of a type (“dossers”), that they are not entitled to aspirations and they are incapable of having had a successful past. You just need to click on one of the many links to “rich and famous people who were homeless in the past” to realise what nonsense this is.

When we reported on the lives of people who had died homeless in Britain for our series The Empty Doorway, we profiled Hamid Farahi Alamdari, a gifted physicist who had applied to become Stephen Hawking’s assistant at the University of Cambridge. He ended up homeless, living in a car.

People do not come out of the womb with a “homeless” sticker labelled to them. Life happens. Things go wrong – relationships, work, accommodation, mental health.

Perhaps rather than mocking Sunak, we should praise him for realising that homeless people have a past and can have a perfectly good future. And now he can put his money where his mouth is by helping people like Dean away from homelessness (we will happily introduce him to Housing First projects, which help people rebuild their lives) and into the worlds of finance and business.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Graunvibes - Toynbeeism

e:

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 28, 2022

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

fizzy posted:

Critics mocked Sunak for

Does anyone smell toast

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

fizzy posted:

Perhaps rather than mocking Sunak, we should praise him for realising that homeless people have a past and can have a perfectly good future.

Pretty generous.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

OwlFancier posted:

buncha old fossils all in separate rooms playing quake 3 over lan

To be honest, I really hope that if I live to 80+, this is how I'd spend my days.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have never been able to jump properly in any game.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
xmas morning, probably 1991, I got a nes and that same morning playing 2 player super mario brothers, realised that pausing the game while the other player was in mid jump would kill the forward momentum of that jump and have them fall in whatever pit they were trying to avoid

provoked my brother into hitting me within minutes

been griefing and trolling ever since

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's very tempting to get back on Twitter just to call people like this cunts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Why I will never leave Twitter

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Dunno what those silly serfs are bitching about; some of the new whips are getting softer, and all of the clubs work fine!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dead Goon posted:

https://twitter.com/Mslanalane79/status/1607723256890499072?t=r9QukwGmli0Z-XsgxlWZ0A&s=19

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1607803273624571909?t=Ale_Je0D9xRVzAqU3w2LSw&s=19

if you have some low blood pressure you need sorting it works real fast

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Talking of owning dickheads on Twitter

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1608056944501178368

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ah yes that's the problem with the Conservatives, too much liberalism...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm just impressed at the gall to call changing your entire position to that of the voters you want to attract "converting" voters to your side.

But then I'm not a big brained politics bod, what do I know?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
33 cars produce an absolutely pathetic amount of CO2. Not going to get us to 3.5C with that level of effort.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

He's no Jay Leno, is he?

33 indeed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
His fuel receipts would be a far better indicator of his emissions than the number of cars he's got. What an idiot

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Has any woman actually ever been impressed by a man’s car? Like growing up there always seemed to be this thing that having a powerful manly car would be a definite bonus with the ladies, but I’ve never met a woman who gives a poo poo - even the ones who are themselves are enthusiasts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Felt strongly enough about that fash-haired shithead's sheer gall that I did the very rare thing of responding to a politician's tweet. It will be ignored, of course, but I felt a bit better for doing it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Has any woman actually ever been impressed by a man’s car? Like growing up there always seemed to be this thing that having a powerful manly car would be a definite bonus with the ladies, but I’ve never met a woman who gives a poo poo - even the ones who are themselves are enthusiasts.

Status symbols attract people who care about status, and make everyone else think you're pathetic. I guess there will be some people who are more likely to touch your peen because of it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

While all the 95 year old surgical consultants are bemoaning that butterfingers brain surgeons these days didn't grow up doing mandatory needlework and grand piano.

All those robo-n00bs who couldn't do a frontal lobotomy without the NEUROBOT T-1000's autoaim turned on.

In my day we did it by hand!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Got a new graphics card so I paid $1 to get the ms game pass thingy for a month and spent pretty much all of the last two days playing Powerwash Simulator :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I know women who are impressed if a man actually HAS a car regardless of what sort of car it was!
I do know one sad case of a woman - a former friend - who was impressed by type of car. The rest of us called it a dick on wheels (the expensive red sports car he was driving). She was trying to one-up me. My BF at the time was a male nurse called Name who had an old banger of a car and was so petrified of driving and got into such a bad state that he gave up. So she started dating a doctor also called same Name with said sports car to try and one up me.