Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

ChesterJT posted:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/blacktron-cruiser-40580

I'll still get it, but even the tile 2x2 with the yellow arrow is a sticker? Come on Lego.

contra: looks fun as poo poo to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Always bought this polybag at Target today before it was taken for being register locked for Jan 1. She atleast let me me take a pic of it.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

radlum posted:

I got the Noodle Shop for Christmas and I have finally decided to start my (small) Lego city. Any suggestions on how to start? Should I just buy baseplates and roads?

You don't necessarily need roads. My city is car free. Embrace the train. I'm working with a shelf so my city is only 48 studs deep. I'm using the winter village sets as placeholders, they'll be replaced with custom builds as they get done. I got started by buying the 48x48 baseplates when they were on sale and built up a decent stash of basic bricks using Goodwill to build the substructure for the cutting.

Please excuse the dust.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

DrChud posted:

Always bought this polybag at Target today before it was taken for being register locked for Jan 1. She atleast let me me take a pic of it.

That's the best polybag in a minute, hope they come here!

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Other than the modulars which have sidewalks implying a street, and just parking the various vehicles, Speed Champions etc in front, I have embraced a waterfront approach to the other structures in my city. This was dictated by the Ninjago City sets- I just love the effect of the water stages, it was a renaissance moment seeing Docks in the store vs the plain blue baseplates that were previously used to imply water surface.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are people not liking the new road plates Lego started making earlier this year?

Aside from the glossy surface and price, the main problem people have seem to be them beeing pretty narrow, and actually beeing build plates instead of baseplates, which means they are pretty hard to integrate well with existing buildings and cities that are entirely on baseplate foundations, requiring some clever adaptions to make them look nice/not out of place. There's just no "out of the Lego box"-solution for connecting a baseplate to a buildplate (without the connection then again beeing too high/too low to plates stuck on other baseplates etc.)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Doesn't help with the gift card, but Zavvi has the Chiron for $330 right now. It's regularly $300 during their many sales, if you want to risk that too.

The gift certificate never expires.

Thanks for this.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

There are some fresh new rumors today. I was going to only post the first one but figured folks might care about the rest.

There will be 5 Sonic the Hedgehog sets coming out, minifig scale, focused on play, ranging from $30 to $100.
Technic is getting NASA's Perseverance Mars Rover 1132pcs, Audi RS Q e-tron 914pcs, and a Lamborghini Huracán 816pcs, John Deere Skidder 948L-II 1492pcs, and some unknown licensed vehicle 1475pcs
There's going to be an Incredible Spider-Man Art set
Some Minecraft and Disney 4+ sets
City is getting: Car Wash 245 pcs, Ice Cream Shop 296 pcs, Urban Skate Park 454 pcs, Apartment Building 688 pcs, Ski & Climbing Center 1045 pcs. A new Passenger Plane 913 pcs and the biggest City set yet, Urban Centre 2010 pcs.
City Arctic Exploration theme will be coming back with the Arctic Explorer Ship 815 pcs & the Arctic Snowmobile 70 pcs.
City Deep Sea is back too. Underwater Exploration Ship 182 pcs & Deep Sea Submarine 842 pcs.
A bunch of Ninjago stuff with the highlight being the Destiny's Bounty: Race Against Time 1739 pcs.
Creator is getting Main Street 1459 pcs & Space Roller Coaster 874 pcs.
A bunch of unknown super hero and harry potter sets.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

There are some fresh new rumors today. I was going to only post the first one but figured folks might care about the rest.

Technic is getting NASA's Perseverance Mars Rover 1132pcs

Well, that'll be my first Technic purchase in a while!

Still annoyed the Ideas Curiosity barely had a release.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Pyroclastic posted:

If true that will be my first Technic since the 90s! Not missing that though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pyroclastic posted:

It wasn't hard to buy the parts on BL a few years back. I think it's very $$ now due to some bricks going out of print.

E: there are a couple sets on BL for not bad prices. $70 or so for a set w/ no instructions. $105 for a set w/ instructions, which I think is probably a very good deal.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Prophet of Nixon posted:

If true that will be my first Technic since the 90s! Not missing that though.

If you haven't built one of the large Technic supercars, it's actually a neat experience ... once. The level of detail in the steering, suspension, and especially drivetrain are cool. But it's rather samey across builds until the body work which is (in my opinion) less interesting on Technic builds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Digital War posted:

You don't necessarily need roads. My city is car free. Embrace the train. I'm working with a shelf so my city is only 48 studs deep. I'm using the winter village sets as placeholders, they'll be replaced with custom builds as they get done. I got started by buying the 48x48 baseplates when they were on sale and built up a decent stash of basic bricks using Goodwill to build the substructure for the cutting.

Please excuse the dust.

What's going on to the right? Looks like a Zamboni polishing the ice on a frozen aqueduct

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Brawnfire posted:

What's going on to the right? Looks like a Zamboni polishing the ice on a frozen aqueduct

It’s a narrowboat on a canal bridge

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cool set up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My son got me one of those FOCO football helmets for christmas, they are like 1/4 size lego blocks.
I like the fact that I now have a helmet for the college I went to, but man the building techniques are really not great, and the fitment of the pieces is pretty poo poo. Also the instructions suck pretty bad too.
On the other hand now that it's done, it's really cool looking.
It was about 1500 pcs, so unfortunately it would be cost prohibitive to recreate it in lego using pick a brick.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BaconCopter posted:

Technic is getting NASA's Perseverance Mars Rover 1132pcs, Audi RS Q e-tron 914pcs, and a Lamborghini Huracán 816pcs, John Deere Skidder 948L-II 1492pcs, and some unknown licensed vehicle 1475pcs

Is it too much to ask for a good STi build in WR Blue?

Probably is

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

It’s a narrowboat on a canal bridge

Ah sweet, I wasn't really getting the boat but was definitely getting aqueduct. Maybe I just need a different angle on the boat.

My city used to have one of those across the river but it got filled in in the 20s and became a normal bridge. Lame.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Yeah, it's a British narrowboat. Here's a better view of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the style of your walls, they're detailed enough to look good without going over the top with greebles like most builders do. There's something to be said for restraint.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

Is it too much to ask for a good STi build in WR Blue?

Probably is

It's great, until you realize all the yellow decals would be stickers and your scooby would end up being a blue street legal version because you can't be arsed...

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Hopper posted:

It's great, until you realize all the yellow decals would be stickers and your scooby would end up being a blue street legal version because you can't be arsed...

I would be happy either way. Maybe a DeLorean deal where you could build either one! And for only $500!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Digital War posted:

That's very nice! You've got a lock and everything! Oh man I'm getting excited over here.

Here's some boats going across the canal aqueduct in my city Rochester, NY in 1899, just as a reference.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Digital War posted:

Sweet, my uncle used to live on a houseboat like that over in England.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Hit my limit and need to start breaking down some sets for storage. Do I buy some big gallon sized freezer bags and just sharpie them with like “Seinfeld set” or what do you all do?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ziploc bags are the most readily available and pretty cheap, but they lock in that plastic "funk" that lego bricks emit over time. So I buy muslin drawstring bags off amazon and use those, you lose the transparency but they are more durable than plastic. I'll mark the bags with tape.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stan Taylor posted:

Hit my limit and need to start breaking down some sets for storage. Do I buy some big gallon sized freezer bags and just sharpie them with like “Seinfeld set” or what do you all do?

Get the manual. Go to last page. Unbuild by bag #. Put the bricks in a ziplock with a small piece of paper indicating bag. If you kept the box, put these bags in the box and seal it. Your future self will thank you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
All the pieces from every set all together in a big plastic bin

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I see that the Great Wave art set got revealed today. Looks good!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/art/the-great-wave

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I see that the Great Wave art set got revealed today. Looks good!

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/art/the-great-wave

I saw some bricklink and other MOCs of it and I gotta say I like those better :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don’t understand how that has 1810 pieces.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Seeing great wave and lego in a sentence together made me think, have they done a beach or a pier as a city set before? Not like industrial docks but a beach with like an ice cream seller, sand castles and surfers and stuff?

Sorta related but when I was a kid I had an underwater set with a load of rocks and seaweed and a little submarine with divers, I think it was this one. https://brickset.com/sets/6559-1/Deep-Sea-Bounty

Obviously that was somewhat limited in technique so curious if they've done a modern take on that, like a coral reef type thing with some divers exploring it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Looks like a huge chunk of it is the frame.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I kinda wish it was more like Starry Night. I'm not a fan of the dot-art they've done, and this feels like a weird middle ground.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Seeing great wave and lego in a sentence together made me think, have they done a beach or a pier as a city set before? Not like industrial docks but a beach with like an ice cream seller, sand castles and surfers and stuff?
That reminded me of this build:
https://youtu.be/OFENIbi0HEg

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Waltzing Along posted:

Get the manual. Go to last page. Unbuild by bag #. Put the bricks in a ziplock with a small piece of paper indicating bag. If you kept the box, put these bags in the box and seal it. Your future self will thank you.

This is what I do, except I write directly on the bag with a sharpie: set number, set name, bag number. All extra pieces and the brick separator if any go in bag #1. I try to keep the manual's bag intact if possible; if not it gets its own bag.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lazy option: just put them fully assembled in a box or bin in the basement.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

CMF Series 24 is available at some Targets. I felt packages for about a minute and ended up with two brown Spacemen w/ Spacebaby, the newsie, and the robot warrior.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

graventy posted:

I kinda wish it was more like Starry Night. I'm not a fan of the dot-art they've done, and this feels like a weird middle ground.

Have you built any of them? I hated them too based on product photos, but then I was gifted the art project set and it looks much better in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just built the UCS Razor Crest over two days, it was pretty fun! No crazy techniques or anything, but nothing was too fiddly and it was not repetitive even with the symmetrical nature of the ship. Also I love the huge interior because I’m a child and I will absolutely play with it like a dollhouse (I still get my sandcrawler down to play droid salvage).

Also it’s just impressive how huge it is, and that it sits on rock solid landing skids.

Wish some of the top panels were secured in some way but it works ok I guess and probably would lead to broken bits given the size of subassemblies being moved around.