Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Biplane posted:

Easily solvable by denying white men religion.

Yes, we can all trust a white male atheist to behave well around women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my husband if my sister-in-law doesn’t move out of our apartment, I will?

quote:

Me (34f) and my husband, Harry got married last month. His sister, Sally (25f) had moved in with us in Feb-22. I was not comfortable with the arrangement as I am someone who really needs personal space. I had been living alone for a long time before I moved in with Harry in Jan-22.

He said he cannot ask Sally to leave as she is young, new in job and has had issues with roommates before. Also he is ‘responsible’ for her as their parents live in another city. And she is too young to live by herself in a big city (she is earning though).

We agreed to give this 6 months. In Aug-22 he said let’s get married first and do this, otherwise there will be a lot of family drama and you will be seen in the bad light. I agreed.

Now we are married and he has still not spoken to her or the family about Sally moving out. He told me that this will take more time. I do not see a reason to delay or a concrete plan around this. Sally had (vaguely) indicated him she wants to start a business at some point in time which would take her to another city. He is hoping this might happen and the problem will solve itself. Meanwhile he has blamed me for not being ‘supportive to family’.

Meanwhile, Sally doesn’t seem very grateful for this. According to Harry, Sally knows I am not comfortable with this arrangement. She comes across as a spoilt child who always gets her way through tantrums.

I feel like I was taken for a ride. Manipulated. While I care for Sally, I need my personal boundaries to be respected. I need my me time. I need our couple time to develop a good foundation to our marriage. These are important and no one seems to care.

As last stop, 1 month after our marriage I told Harry I will move out. I can’t fathom any other way out. It’s just been 1 month of us as married couple and I am already bailing out on our first disagreement.

Am I am rear end in a top hat here ?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, we can all trust a white male atheist to behave well around women.

White male atheism is just religion by a longer route.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I'm not sure what is so hard about honoring a request from a report to have someone else in an isolated interview/feedback session. There is no need to spend time thinking about whether this (Muslim lady asking for another lady/white gent asking for a mate/ foreign language national requesting a translator / union member asking for a shop steward) is trying to gently caress with you as the manager. Just organize someone agreeable within reason to the report and get on with life. Normalising a worker having an advocate in a private meeting with a boss is a good thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PiratePrentice posted:

It depends where you live, I'm sure in major/wealthy cities it's the standard but in the rest of the world we kinda have to make do with what we've got since new things don't really get built that often.

You don't need to build a whole new building to remodel the interior. Not even all of it, just a couple of meeting rooms.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

How did this weenie even land a girl so far out of his wheelhouse?

"Oh I like domesticated women. But this wild stallion refuses to be tamed. How can I tame her??"

Just wtf

The fact that a stallion is a boy horse makes it all more hilarious. But in fairness, growing up without the internet, I remember sneaking my mom's Western romance novels where the male protagonist was usually half native, but in a sexy way, not a my people have suffered way, and the female protagonist was some and I quote, lively spitfire, and was always his job to tame her down into a respectable wife. This was pretty much the underlying theme of every single romance novel but thankfully I learned that that is not the case, least of all because we don't live in the wild west anymore, but it is a thing we see a lot in romcoms and the like. We don't really see the inverse as much, where the dude is wild and needs to be tamed down because well that's the culture we live in.

And also to be fair, when I was growing up what actually snap me out of that thought was hearing Melissa etheridge was a lesbian, because this is right when she first came out, and I still remember my first thought of seeing her in her music videos was man, it's going to take a really strong man to tame her down, and then finding out that lesbians existed was like flipping off a switch in my mind and realizing that there were other options out there, and was not my job to be tamed down by some dude.

As for the HR dude, I remember a small groups communication class I had in college, and the teacher was discussing religious objections in the small group communication setting. She said she had a class last year or there were a lot more women than men, and so one of the groups was one dude with four women, but he objected to this seeing it was against his religion to work with women in any setting. She ended up swapping him, but there was a lot of irritation in the class because of it. I still wonder exactly what kind of degree and job he was hoping for where he never had to work with women at all.

AITA for throwing away the elf on the shelf and "ruining Christmas" for my kids after my husband's prank?

quote:

For context, this year was the first time we would try the "elf on the shelf" with our kids. We have 3 kids, Lucas (9M), Andy (8M), and Claire (5F). Where Lucas and Andy are from our past relationships. However, Miles (my husband M37) has accepted Andy as his, and so did I (F35) Lucas.

Every Christmas is special for Andy, his bd is on Dec/24. His dad started a tradition where Santa would've consideration with him for being a "kid of Christmas". So he feels magical and special. I always try to give him that. Last year, i left "Santa Claus" footsteps, ate a carrot and "grass" he left for Rudolf. Stuff like that.

My husband doesn't think it's a good idea i do all that for him, and I'm showing favoritism. So, we should shut it down, because of my ex's decision to create a tradition without considering my other kid's feelings. I disagree since i do consider the 3 of them. But he asked if we could so smth else, like the Elf on the shelf. I had no problem with it, but I didn't know how that works. He explained me quickly, and since he was the one who offered, i let him do it.

We bought the cute Elf. My kids named it "Bob". Later my husband explained them they should behave, and never touch/hold Bob if they don't want it to be naughty. At first, it was cute to see them spy on Bob, try to see it "fly" each night. Andy was the most excited of all, i found him one night talking with it, asking it if Santa still remembered him.

But my husband took seriously the "Behave or Bob would be naughty" part. Lucas was his first victim after he didn't do his chores. The next day, his face was drawn with sharpie markers. Then Claire, who touched Bob and her fave onesie was destroyed. Apparently, Bob had cut some pieces of it, while she was sleeping. Miles was having fun, but i could see my kids weren't. I talked to him about how we should lower the pranks, he agreed but wanted to catch Andy since he hadn't break any rules. I told him that Bob's supposed to tell Santa instead of being naughty. We argued but he finally agreed.

Fast forward, it's Christmas Eve and in the afternoon we had some of Andy's friends to celebrate his bd. So the kids were playing in backyard. But my husband looked sus. I decided to look for Bob. It was supposed to be in the kitchen but it wasn't there, I asked Miles where it was and he told me "no idea". I started getting paranoid, but Andy asked me if we could cut the cake already. I put my best face on and went for it. The cake was in a box, and when Andy opened the box. He starts crying. I take a look and it's ruined. "Bob" was covered in all of it, appearing he had been eating the cake. Half of the cake wasn't there anymore. Miles starts laughing and so did some of the other parents.

My blood is boiling and i grab Bob and throw it in the trash, Then i grabbed Miles. We have a terrible argument, calls me an AH for what i did to Bob, that I've ruined it, how are we supposed to keep the "magic" with our kids if i wasn't supposed to touch Bob.

AITA for potentially getting a teacher fired over a joke?

quote:

My brother (23) and I (22f) have raised our younger siblings together for the past few years (both our parents have died).

The kids’ teachers know our situation and are generally pretty good about it. Though we still get some comments at parents’ evenings and correspondence from school is often sent to “Mr and Mrs (our surname)”. We are used to it and it’s usually no big deal, sometimes pretty funny.

What I did NOT find funny was my 14yr old coming home from school saying he had a substitute teacher (the teacher works at the same school full time but doesn’t normally take any of our brother’s classes) and as they took the register and saw his surname, the teacher said,

“Another Flowers in the Attic kid! How many more of you are there?!”

Some of the kids laughed, most apparently didn’t really get it, and our brother was embarrassed but also didn’t get the reference. A bunch of the kids googled it in their next break and were laughing about it later on in the day.

(This teacher has taught our 16yr old previously (for a year) so we had met them multiple times at parents’ night. She has since told me they made comments to her too.)

When my brother came home and told me what happened, and asked me what Flowers in the Attic is, I was really pissed off. We have had several similar comments before and I don’t find them funny, but it’s next level out of order IMO to say something like that to a young teenager. Let alone in front of classmates.

I complained to the school about it the next day. I went in a little strong but I was PISSED. I met with the principal and another senior staff member (waited over an hour for them to be free). I told them at the very least I don’t want any of the kids being taught by that teacher ever again. I think it will be dealt with after Christmas break, as this was right at the end of their last week. I got the impression they will likely be fired. My older brother followed up with an email to back me up and create a record of it.

We saw some friends yesterday and told them about the incident. They were horrified but not at the teacher, at ME for complaining about it. They said it was a joke and I may have just cost someone their job. They think I overreacted and that it was pretty funny. They said of course people will make FitA comments because my brother and I are close and affectionate. I don’t feel that I should need to say that it would never be anything like that, but to be crystal clear, there is nothing remotely sexual about our relationship.

Our 14yr old has been pretty embarrassed about it ever since. For the first time ever he asked me not to hug or kiss him when I dropped him off to meet his friends. He’s worried about kids bullying him when he goes back to school.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 28, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I just wanted to thank you for posting this as it's a really great (and underrated, IMO) song :)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for throwing away the elf on the shelf and "ruining Christmas" for my kids after my husband's prank?
Immediate NTA based on the title, Elf-on-Shelf is a creepy gimmick.

quote:

We saw some friends yesterday and told them about the incident. They were horrified but not at the teacher, at ME for complaining about it. They said it was a joke and I may have just cost someone their job. They think I overreacted and that it was pretty funny.
:yikes:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I just wanted to thank you for posting this as it's a really great (and underrated, IMO) song :)

Honestly it’s RLYLs best and I will derail to continue talking about the weather

(The day there’s a gloomy little post punk karaoke near me is the day my life changes, changes)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yeah, it’s hilarious to poke fun of the orphan and imply his siblings gently caress each other. Great comedy for a room of teens.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's maybe deliberate, but it is really odd to be so (rightfully for encouraging bullying) pissed about joking about FitA type relationship and then repeatedly refer to the younger siblings as "our 16 yr old / my 14 yr old".

In any event, maybe a different book is in order, the 14 yr old can start going by the nickname Ponyboy and telling bully teacher just watch out for Johnny.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Foo Diddley posted:

these folks are going to be astonished when she vanishes forever the day after she graduates while they're on vacation

:pray: let's hope part of her not going is so she can move without them guilt-tripping her

mind the walrus posted:

Then he's either careless or naïve, because "I don't care what you think" isn't the same thing as "so I'm going to do things that have a high likelihood of pissing your vain rear end off."

The kids are still legally involved with her. Provocation might work out in the long run but it's still a gamble for everyone involved.

- He tried to maintain the peace until the ex or her partner ended up spilling the beans. Not his fault, not his problem.
- Ex got so upset that she decided to not buy/keep any gifts nor celebrate because of her own narcissism & inability to admit fault
- He's free to post family pictures on social media & clearly wasn't bad mouthing her, so "provocation" in this context is complete bullshit

OP did nothing wrong, had the ex not cheated none of this would even be an issue. Play stupid games...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PiratePrentice posted:

Yeah uh somehow I think nobody would have a problem with it if it was a muslim woman asking to have a female HR rep present. As hard as it is to come to terms with, sometimes religious rights have to go to the religion you don't like as well as the ones you do lol

What if I don't like any of them?

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I'm not sure what is so hard about honoring a request from a report to have someone else in an isolated interview/feedback session. There is no need to spend time thinking about whether this (Muslim lady asking for another lady/white gent asking for a mate/ foreign language national requesting a translator / union member asking for a shop steward) is trying to gently caress with you as the manager. Just organize someone agreeable within reason to the report and get on with life. Normalising a worker having an advocate in a private meeting with a boss is a good thing.

It is a good thing.

It's also not always an option. If you work in a 3-shift operation, it's unlikely that HR is around to support 2nd or 3rd shift, in my experience. While they would send someone in for the rare extremely sensitive issue, 99% of my one-on-one reviews and corrective actions were just between myself and the folks who reported to me. I did encourage them to record the conversations, and often did the same.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Agents are GO! posted:

What if I don't like any of them?

Then you should never be in a position of power.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reddit, say the line!

quote:

Be Civil. Diagnosing OP's husband as a psychopath/sociopath/any other path is uncivil. Calling him manchild/man baby/any other insult is uncivil.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm gonna go against the thread on weirdo conservative Christian guy bait post - no one, in a professional setting, should be forced to be in one on one meetings where they feel uncomfortable or contravenes their beliefs. Hold the one on one over teams and record it giving both sides a copy if you want. It's probably incel bait, but the overall principal of human dignity should stand - don't make people do things that cause them psychic damage because of work.
Mr. Sagdiyev, this is the last time we're going to discuss this. Jews do not lay eggs, and Ms. Goldfarb is not going to drink your blood. If you're not willing to meet with her, you don't have a future at this network.

"Psychic damage?" Grow the gently caress up

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Nobody really feels any cognitive dissonance on defending one religion's practicioners but attacking another's for asking literally the exact same accomodations?

Really?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Halloween Jack posted:

"Psychic damage?" Grow the gently caress up

What do you mean by this

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pirate Radar posted:

What do you mean by this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had no idea pirates were so scared of girls.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Don’t know this one, sorry.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

PiratePrentice posted:

Nobody really feels any cognitive dissonance on defending one religion's practicioners but attacking another's for asking literally the exact same accomodations?

Really?

Even if it's MRA bait-and-switch bullshit as some goons are suggesting, I'm with you. Either accommodate everyone reasonably or don't accommodate anyone. People picking and choosing which religion/gender combos are more acceptable to tolerate are exactly why anti-discrimination laws exist.

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
workers should be allowed accommodations when meeting with superiors, that's a pretty basic thing. You can think he's a weird little dude for being all 'yea what if people think you wanna gently caress me if we have a one on one meeting????' about it but even idiots and weirdos deserve fairly simple accommodations in the workplace.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Shartin Mad posted:

workers should be allowed accommodations when meeting with superiors, that's a pretty basic thing. You can think he's a weird little dude for being all 'yea what if people think you wanna gently caress me if we have a one on one meeting????' about it but even idiots and weirdos deserve fairly simple accommodations in the workplace.

Especially when the accommodation here is so straightforward. This is a solved problem.

And even if the OP that caused this derail was being a weenie about it, there are plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't want to be in a room with one other person that no one else can see into. There are plenty of non-religious women who wouldn't want to spend more time than necessary out of sight of everyone else with That Guy HR won't do anything about.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 28, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Woozie66 posted:

Then you should never be in a position of power.

You have to like a religion to be in a position of power?

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Nancy posted:

You have to like a religion to be in a position of power?

I mean...you have to at least respect fairly simple accommodations and requirements for them if you're managing others that may include people in those communities, yes?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Horror_Business posted:

Even if it's MRA bait-and-switch bullshit as some goons are suggesting, I'm with you. Either accommodate everyone reasonably or don't accommodate anyone. People picking and choosing which religion/gender combos are more acceptable to tolerate are exactly why anti-discrimination laws exist.

apropos, a commenter on the post on reddit pointed out that this would make it problematic if the OP ever became anyone's manager. Except of course he could then give them and himself whatever accommodations needed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pirate Radar posted:

Don’t know this one, sorry.

It's a scene from the movie Scanners, the guy on the left is giving the guy on the right one hell of a headache with his mind. Don't look up what happens next if you're squeamish.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean honestly I think the major abrahamic religions (as well as most others) are extremely regressive and gross when practiced in anything approaching orthodoxy, but like having an HR person present in a meeting with a superior isn't exactly a difficult request at all. I don't think it's super hard to like play nice with people's dumb beliefs when you're at work, nobody's forcing you to be friends with any of these people in the rest of your life. I feel like some people don't spend a lot of time talking to anyone who isn't like a liberal American and have no idea what it means to actually be religiously tolerant lol

champagne posting posted:

apropos, a commenter on the post on reddit pointed out that this would make it problematic if the OP ever became anyone's manager. Except of course he could then give them and himself whatever accommodations needed.

I mean yeah he could just have an HR person come in when/if a face-to-face meeting is needed, it'd be no different.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If only we had had like two years of practice working when no one was one-on-one face-to-face to maybe formulate some kind of strategy for this.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shartin Mad posted:

I mean...you have to at least respect fairly simple accommodations and requirements for them if you're managing others that may include people in those communities, yes?

Sure, but I think you can not like religions and still respect religious individuals.

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Nancy posted:

Sure, but I think you can not like religions and still do that.

Yea I guess but it does feel like the guy making a point to answer 'basic religious accommodation is kinda a universally accepted thing actually' with 'actually I don't like them' isn't going to be the most eager to engage in good faith and all. Like, yea no poo poo you don't have to 'like' them who gives a poo poo what you like or don't like in general in things like this? It's not about 'liking' them either way.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

champagne posting posted:

Valid. There's a point where things start to seem ridiculous (say, guy needs a guy present and lady needs a lady present for every meeting between the two) but a competent HR department should be able to figure it out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's a scene from the movie Scanners, the guy on the left is giving the guy on the right one hell of a headache with his mind. Don't look up what happens next if you're squeamish.

Oh it’s the head explode scene! Yeah I know that, sorry.

What was the joke?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Shartin Mad posted:

Yea I guess but it does feel like the guy making a point to answer 'basic religious accommodation is kinda a universally accepted thing actually' with 'actually I don't like them' isn't going to be the most eager to engage in good faith and all. Like, yea no poo poo you don't have to 'like' them who gives a poo poo what you like or don't like in general in things like this? It's not about 'liking' them either way.

Word, I get you. Similar to "I hate everyone" "jokes."

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh it’s the head explode scene! Yeah I know that, sorry.

What was the joke?

its psychic damage

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Horror_Business posted:

Valid. There's a point where things start to seem ridiculous (say, guy needs a guy present and lady needs a lady present for every meeting between the two) but a competent HR department should be able to figure it out.

The guy doesn't need a male HR rep, he just doesn't want to be alone with a woman who's not his wife or family, the HR rep can be whatever gender.

Obviously a zoom meeting would be easier but like if the office was interesting in accomodation they wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I think the guy is being a little dorky, but making HR/management's life slightly more difficult is good so WHO CAN SAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PiratePrentice posted:

Yeah uh somehow I think nobody would have a problem with it if it was a muslim woman asking to have a female HR rep present. As hard as it is to come to terms with, sometimes religious rights have to go to the religion you don't like as well as the ones you do lol

When a religion is a misogynist cult maybe it shouldn't get those kinds of accommodations.

Oh wait....that's almost all of them, isn't it?