Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The market seems more rational if you inhale solvents.

Weirdest way to misspell “cocaine” that I’ve ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t pay my rent for weeks either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cost cutting I see

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

God I hope that this gets to the point that a bunch of big guys bust in and start carrying out furniture while Elon is still physically there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ariong posted:

God I hope that this gets to the point that a bunch of big guys bust in and start carrying out furniture while Elon is still physically there.

My wife worked at a place where creditors sent a representative in to do an audit of everything saleable in the office at one point: desks, chairs, computers, phones, plants, wall art, coffee makers, etc. The boss said it was no big deal, and they only missed paychecks like two more times after that (before she quit).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ariong posted:

He's on a private sex island in the caribbean right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/iamraisini/status/1604619857257025537

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

greazeball posted:

My wife worked at a place where creditors sent a representative in to do an audit of everything saleable in the office at one point: desks, chairs, computers, phones, plants, wall art, coffee makers, etc. The boss said it was no big deal, and they only missed paychecks like two more times after that (before she quit).

Had a friend of the family work for a developer like this. The third week they didn't pay the landscapers ended with them just quitting and taking a bunch of equipment as collateral until they got paid. Last I heard they never got paid and a bunch of them just started a new lawn care company with the stolen equipment. As much shady poo poo as the boss did he probably figured it was a fair trade to keep anyone from looking to close at his business affairs. For some reason she continued to work there for several months.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/shelleyabc13/status/1607532542655184896?s=46&t=jrgRRa0FQddgmbHGBfPlBw

https://twitter.com/atsouthwest/status/1607554851025850369?s=46&t=SxbkwEcgCierACoGIYh93g

https://twitter.com/lynmontgomery2/status/1607025563952087040?s=46&t=B0Ah5DHoewBAftbi7YS7vQ

https://twitter.com/atsouthwest/status/1607337340338589697?s=46&t=7_H4j5pN0TOGaQnQJ1265A

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1607583692293128193?s=46&t=FsXt6kOx_rv8VjnVtPxX5A

quote:

> So I’m limited in what I can say due to internal memos not being up for public dissemination but if you’re trying to get somewhere on us the next 3-5 days, you should look into other carriers or just drive.
> Not kidding. We’re pulling the schedule down to near-zero (100 flights per domicile tomorrow, mostly crew repositioning flights moving planes with employees only back to their base so they can go home). 200 a day the rest of the week per domicile.
> We usually run 700+ per base per day.
> They are going to stop the sale of all tickets for the remainder of the week so that passengers can’t book on something that will just be canceled anyway.
> The problem is that our IT department is really not able to make the computers do what they need to do and the rest I’m not going to comment on of why management hasn’t figured out how to fix it.
> When you have pilots that don’t stay paired with flight attendants for more than a leg or two and a plane going on to do 20 hours of operating a day when the pilots are done between 12-14 hours, you can’t just re-connect all those dots without a “reset”.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Southwest hosed up

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From Reddit

quote:

This shitstorm is because the crew scheduling software went belly up and it almost all has to be unraveled over the phone with crew members calling scheduling. If we had better technology which eliminated the need for phone calls, this would have been fixed by now.

If you are able to find alternative transportation to your final destination- DO IT. Another airline, bus, train, Lyft, rental car, ANYTHING. Southwest WILL NOT be able to get you to your destination anytime in the next few days.

Like I said, it’s gonna take at least a week to get back to normal operations for Southwest.

If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them. I work ground ops at one of SWA’s hubs.

EDIT FOR FAQs—— 1. Checked bags are currently a disaster. Plan to not see your checked luggage for at least a month. In the interest of 100% transparency, some bags will be 30+ days lost in the system. 2. Will my flight for X date go out? Next 3 days- plan on a cancellation. 4-7 days- likely to go as scheduled. 7+ days- should see operational recovery.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:psyduck:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

if anything they sacrifice some Director level execs and place all the blame on them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like the first part about dragging in a bunch of cops to suppress the citizens

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pentyne posted:

if anything they sacrifice some Director level execs and place all the blame on them

Lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Professor Shark posted:

I really like the first part about dragging in a bunch of cops to suppress the citizens

It's berry Kool and good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/JustAnother_Ben/status/1607707495509929985

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...nationalize the airlines

Nobody likes flying and dealing with terrible airlines, so let's just take them over

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
They were till Reagan happened

E: in the sense that they were really strictly regulated to the point that they might as well have been nationalized. They were also subsidized iirc

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The crew scheduling system knows where the crew is at all times. It knows this because it knows where the crew isn't. By subtracting where the crew is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is, whichever is greater, it obtains a difference, or deviation.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...nationalize the airlines

Nobody likes flying and dealing with terrible airlines, so let's just take them over

Seriously. They get so much taxpayer money anyway, just have the government do the job.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Knormal posted:

The crew scheduling system knows where the crew is at all times. It knows this because it knows where the crew isn't. By subtracting where the crew is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is, whichever is greater, it obtains a difference, or deviation.

Huh, I guess that makes sense. That would also mean the scheduling system can use those deviations to generate corrective flights to fly the crews from a position where they are to a position where they aren't, and arriving at a position where they weren't, but now are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Robobot posted:

Huh, I guess that makes sense. That would also mean the scheduling system can use those deviations to generate corrective flights to fly the crews from a position where they are to a position where they aren't, and arriving at a position where they weren't, but now are.

It absolutely makes no more sense for airline crew than it does for missiles in the original meme.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

All-time low airfares are a result of intense competition. Nationalizing the airlines might fix some issues but everyone will pay out their rear end in taxes and fares for it. People really don’t know what they’ve got until they lose it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So does this kill Southwest or does the gov't prop them up again?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vegetable posted:

All-time low airfares are a result of intense competition. Nationalizing the airlines might fix some issues but everyone will pay out their rear end in taxes and fares for it. People really don’t know what they’ve got until they lose it.

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, we have normalized cramming everything you can into a carry on bag so that you don't have to double your nominal ticket price with bag check fees. That and things like "we actually know how to deplane more efficiently, but people will pay more to sit closer to the exit to leave faster, so we're ok with making everything less efficient, actually" and "unions for flight attendants are for nerds and losers, you could spend that on an xbox instead" and "pweese mr government gib us moneys becawse we spent all of ours on stock buybacks instead of having any mawgin for error, no we can't let the investors actually take anything on the chin for it"

Plus, we already pay out the rear end in taxes and fees.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Southwest cannot simultaneously know a crews position and where they're headed.

Mustached Demon has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Dec 28, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the basic problem is that the fundamental nature of reality dictates that transportation is a commodity. this is why it's just this continual 150-year history of fuckery with the railroads for example, because you can't differentiate the product and make a reliable profit for this service. when they nationalize the shareholders will frankly be glad of it - airline poo poo and train poo poo is frankly the mechanism of how warren buffet decisively reverted to the mean the last 20 years for example

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Air travel’s margins can be pretty shaky, just because making planes fly and not crash is pretty expensive- like I don’t doubt the executives make plenty but you see airlines go under more often than other companies.

Maybe it’s just not suited to be private business.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, we have normalized cramming everything you can into a carry on bag so that you don't have to double your nominal ticket price with bag check fees. That and things like "we actually know how to deplane more efficiently, but people will pay more to sit closer to the exit to leave faster, so we're ok with making everything less efficient, actually" and "unions for flight attendants are for nerds and losers, you could spend that on an xbox instead" and "pweese mr government gib us moneys becawse we spent all of ours on stock buybacks instead of having any mawgin for error, no we can't let the investors actually take anything on the chin for it"

Plus, we already pay out the rear end in taxes and fees.
Do you think those aggressive practices go away with nationalization? State-owned enterprises have a balance sheet like any other
company.

The US also notoriously underinvests in everything from Amtrak to USPS. The funding of those things are political battles. In the political system we have, nationalized air travel is more volatile, not less.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
A state-owned enterprise doesn't have shareholders who need to be constantly appeased by wringing more blood from the stone.

Also that's, uh... 'We can't have public goods because our ruling class is devoted to actively sabotaging them and claiming it's inherent to the system' isn't exactly a great argument dude even if it's true

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Do you think those aggressive practices go away with nationalization? State-owned enterprises have a balance sheet like any other
company.

The US also notoriously underinvests in everything from Amtrak to USPS. The funding of those things are political battles. In the political system we have, nationalized air travel is more volatile, not less.

congresscritters actually fly on normal passenger airliners. this is why nationalized airlines tend to be less hosed than other nationalized forms of transit

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Vegetable posted:

company.

Those things are political battles because a public sphere exists. You can't effectively regulate other methods of parcel travel or ground transportation, you absolutely can regulate air travel, and we already do. Fly a drone out of your line of sight and see if the FAA thinks kindly on you.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
https://twitter.com/ruthschmidt/status/1607227917414838273

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Vegetable posted:

Yeah, air travel used to be something only rich people did. Deregulating the airlines is a huge reason why now most Americans can afford to fly.

Vegetable posted:

company.

Yeah, this.

Also, the popular goon belief that nationalization is like a cheat code to solve every economic problem totally contradicts the other popular goon belief w.r.t. American governance, which is that the US government is largely stupid and corrupt.

I don’t understand how a group of people who are so cynical and negative about our system of government can have such an unshakable conviction that giving it even more control over society will solve every problem known to man.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Basic things could still be done: for instance the government could set a minimum width and pitch for aircraft seats, forbid the airlines from charging fees for bags, or improve the refund rules.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah all those sound like consumer protections though. Good luck with that poo poo in the US.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mustached Demon posted:

Southwest cannot simultaneously know a crews position and where they're headed.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Air travel is basically gambling at this point. I’ll only do it with company money. No way I’m putting up my money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1608048066099306498