Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Interesting! I'm 38 and have heard of root canals all my life but never actually asked what it is or what it does. That's also a lot of work. God drat dentistry was a horrific thing in history until very recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

This isn't the cursed thread

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

At least they left him his shoes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

Interesting! I'm 38 and have heard of root canals all my life but never actually asked what it is or what it does. That's also a lot of work. God drat dentistry was a horrific thing in history until very recently.

For what it's worth this has probably always been the take at any point previously as well as today.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
It almost looks like the House Flipper game.

Mouth Flipper?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I have so many questions

Why are they only manually reaming out the canals and then not even flush them with peroxide or alcohol or, heck, anything that would clean out the sepsis that probably led to the root canal being necessary in the first place.

Speaking of, they cleaned out the canals but leave what looks like the huge apical cysts completely alone, which are usually the main problem and the thing that causes aches, since that's the spot where the tooth's nerves connect to the rest of your nervous system!!! It's literally the root of the infection!!!

And that's why, after reaming out the canals, you usually put some kind of antibiotic filling into the canals and let them do their magic for a week or two! Maybe cover it with a provisional filling or just leave it open so it can air out, don't immediately put a crown on it and let it fester!

Why are they overstuffing the canals with gutta-percha pins of different sizes??? You're supposed to prep a canal with standardized ISO size files, so the standardized ISO size pins (as indicated by the colors, blue and yellow rings at the tip in this gif) fit properly! Overstuffing canals is how you end up having to get an apicoectomy, and if you thought a root canal was bad....

What the heck did they drop in before overstuffing the canals anyways? Was that supposed to be the root canal sealer? 'Cuz droplets don't really work that way at the scale we're working at here, which is why you usually put your RCS on some kind of motorized spiral that can spread it evenly within the canal before you seal it.

Why put in two huge posts instead of not just removing most, or basically all of the natural crown? The tooth only really seemed to have root canal issues and the crown was somehow mostly intact, until you hollowed it out and then took away the rest of what was left to prep for the crown.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HenryEx posted:

I have so many questions

Why are they only manually reaming out the canals and then not even flush them with peroxide or alcohol or, heck, anything that would clean out the sepsis that probably led to the root canal being necessary in the first place.

Speaking of, they cleaned out the canals but leave what looks like the huge apical cysts completely alone, which are usually the main problem and the thing that causes aches, since that's the spot where the tooth's nerves connect to the rest of your nervous system!!! It's literally the root of the infection!!!

And that's why, after reaming out the canals, you usually put some kind of antibiotic filling into the canals and let them do their magic for a week or two! Maybe cover it with a provisional filling or just leave it open so it can air out, don't immediately put a crown on it and let it fester!

Why are they overstuffing the canals with gutta-percha pins of different sizes??? You're supposed to prep a canal with standardized ISO size files, so the standardized ISO size pins (as indicated by the colors, blue and yellow rings at the tip in this gif) fit properly! Overstuffing canals is how you end up having to get an apicoectomy, and if you thought a root canal was bad....

What the heck did they drop in before overstuffing the canals anyways? Was that supposed to be the root canal sealer? 'Cuz droplets don't really work that way at the scale we're working at here, which is why you usually put your RCS on some kind of motorized spiral that can spread it evenly within the canal before you seal it.

Why put in two huge posts instead of not just removing most, or basically all of the natural crown? The tooth only really seemed to have root canal issues and the crown was somehow mostly intact, until you hollowed it out and then took away the rest of what was left to prep for the crown.

You seem to be under the impression that this animation is both real, and in real time.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Why not just pull the tooth out and cover the hole with a spent bullet casing?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Robobot posted:

Why not just pull the tooth out and cover the hole with a spent bullet casing?

When I needed a root canal I opted for just pulling it out because booking the root canal would take months and it did not stop hurting even after their temp patches.
For some teeth that might not be feasible though. And I'm still not quite used to missing a tooth.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
My old dentist had one of those needle things that they poke out the bottom of the root in break off in my tooth and now no one wants to take out, and it hurts when it rains.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

apatheticman posted:

My old dentist had one of those needle things that they poke out the bottom of the root in break off in my tooth and now no one wants to take out, and it hurts when it rains.

Well, having watched that animation I feel qualified to say the fix would be just to shove a bunch more needles into the hole and then file them all down to be level with the rest of your tooth. Have you asked a dentist to just do that? Would probably be cheaper.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
My dentist wont do a root canal unless they can then put an implant in afterwards on one of my molars, which my insurance doesn't cover because I'm on poverty spec Medi-Cal, but they also wont just yoink the tooth out because they say I wont be able to chew correctly even though it hurts like a mother fucker and has been infected 3 times.

About to do some 1800's home dentistry on myself

e; will record and post here

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At some point in early 2023, I'm planning on having all of my hosed up molars yanked out of my head and replaced with cyborg teeth. Bad teeth are hideously painful and once compromised by a filling its only a matter of time before it gets worse and fails entirely. If I could go back in time I'd do two things first, 1, kill baby hitler, 2, grab my teenage self and shake him vigorously and scream at him to brush and floss regularly and stop drinking so much loving mountain dew

Anyways gif

From a short animation of a little ghost girl finding a pair of tap dancing shoes with a life of their own and dancing with them, set to Moses Supposes, from Singin' in the Rain. It's one of my favorite animations of all time, just a great short film with impeccable timing on switching between her "controlling" the shoes and them acting independently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byAfC5yW_hw&hd=1

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

3 years ago I had a different dentist for my half yearly appointment because the regular one was on pregnancy leave. He was an ambitious fellow because he suggested revisiting my root canal from a dozen years before, cleaning it up and using a more modern approach.

Now, I was obviously not able to witness this updated root canal from my POV, but there are definitely parts I remember looking at that GIF. The thin almost needles used to clean the tooth out, for which I had to say at which point it started to hurt (to know when their job was done). The tubes used to fill them... I think those are scorched away or something? I remember the faint "aftertaste" of those being an occasional thing for a couple week afterwards. There are also parts which I don't remember, so I'm guessing I never had a full root canal. I didn't get a new cap, I still have the old tooth, it's just looking a bit faded since I didn't feel like having a cosmetic treatment to paint/bleach it to a more white color.

Edit: I didn't need any localized anesthesia for this (although I could ask for it), so yeah, I definitely didn't need the full treatment.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Dec 28, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Large Testicles posted:

My dentist wont do a root canal unless they can then put an implant in afterwards on one of my molars, which my insurance doesn't cover because I'm on poverty spec Medi-Cal, but they also wont just yoink the tooth out because they say I wont be able to chew correctly even though it hurts like a mother fucker and has been infected 3 times.

About to do some 1800's home dentistry on myself

e; will record and post here

Why not try a different dentist?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/rDDaj9z.mp4

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Imagine my surprise when I found out that most people get knocked out to get their wisdom teeth removed and not just given three shots of novacaine and a dentist basically sitting on your chest to pull the "stubborn" one out and taking a chunk of the top of my mouth's bone structure with it, leaving a hole between my mouth and sinus cavity, like the Navy did to me when I was 30.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Jesus loving Christ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what? Do people get general anesthesia for that poo poo? I was fully awake for the whole experience. I don't know of anyone being fully out for any dental procedure here.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

General anesthesia is not without its risks and I have a wonky heart rhythm. I asked to not have general anesthesia and they looked at me like I had two heads. I reiterated this. I said I know it can be a forceful procedure etc but I’m fine with that. I did not sign consent for general anesthesia. They gave me general anesthesia.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

^^^^ I'm with you. I hate getting put under for what could be just done under local. Some dentists just refuse because I suppose they feel more comfortable doing it to a comatose patient.

Turning into the dentist thread but I get put under general anesthesia for most procedures at my dentist. Deep cleaning? Knock him out! Pulling one wisdom tooth? Knock him out!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have had fillings with local but I got my wisdom teeth out with general.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

If the dentist thinks their dental procedure is too forceful to be awake for I invite them to go into orthopedic surgery with me. Now that poo poo gets violent

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've only needed one wisdom tooth removed because it came out sideways, but I was awake for the process.

I've needed three root canal and crowns in my life, but the first one had to be done by three different dentists because the first one wouldn't do the root canal but would do the crown, but the second one who did the root canal hosed it up and didn't clean it out properly but no one noticed until the 1st did the crown, so the infection was coming out the side of my jawbone, and the third had to tear down the first's crown to unfuck the second's root canal and then was able to do it all properly from there.

That's my most expensive tooth by a loving mile.

Captain Invictus posted:

grab my teenage self and shake him vigorously and scream at him to brush and floss regularly and stop drinking so much loving mountain dew

In my early 30s I fell into some bad coping mechanisms for dealing with financial stress, and part of that was drinking 3 liter bottles of diet soda from the Dollar Tree, and you better believe that hosed up my teeth. Hence crowns two and three. Much nicer experiences overall, and worlds cheaper because they had an insurance plan that didn't gently caress me over financially.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

freeedr posted:

General anesthesia is not without its risks and I have a wonky heart rhythm. I asked to not have general anesthesia and they looked at me like I had two heads. I reiterated this. I said I know it can be a forceful procedure etc but I’m fine with that. I did not sign consent for general anesthesia. They gave me general anesthesia.

I'm not trying to tell you what did or didn't happen to you but reading this I felt like you might find some information useful. If you already know all of this I apologize for sounding preachy or like I'm talking down to you (hopefully not). General anesthesia isn't something they could do without your knowledge - generally you'd either be induced with an IV anesthetic and then switched to anesthetic gas or you'd get gas right away(I work in a hospital I'm not sure what the normal thing is for a dentist office but I would be surprised if many had an anesthetic machine unless they do dental surgery). So you'd have an IV inserted, or a a large mask placed over your conscious, alert face which I suspect would trigger you to mention it. What may have happened is that they said 'okay we'll do ~twilight sedation~ which professionally we know as procedural sedation, or 'conscious sedation'. It's very often the exact same IV anesthetic medication but given in push doses which are small enough that you are unaware of what's going on but are still protecting your airway and breathing yourself. Your experience of this would be that you may not even remember the period right before this medication was administered (through an IV). It may seem very similar to general anesthetic to you as the patient.

The other thing is that when you're not awake or otherwise unable to communicate, health professionals operate under implied consent - we do what we feel to be the best/safest thing for you at that moment under the assumption that if you were able to communicate with us and we were able to explain why it was necessary, you would agree to it. It's possible that you declined GA but agreed to procedural sedation, then at some point during the procedure something changed and it became safer to protect your airway with a breathing tube and take your sedation much deeper (GA) for the sake of the procedure.

Regardless I'm sorry that you had something done that you had hoped to avoid.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This thread is turning into a horror show

Please for the love of god post gifs. Ideally not of dental procedures :nms:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Flyinglemur posted:

Imagine my surprise when I found out that most people get knocked out to get their wisdom teeth removed and not just given three shots of novacaine and a dentist basically sitting on your chest to pull the "stubborn" one out and taking a chunk of the top of my mouth's bone structure with it, leaving a hole between my mouth and sinus cavity, like the Navy did to me when I was 30.

:gonk:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I am very familiar with anesthesia and they were definitely purposefully deceptive. It wasn’t a dentist office, it was an oral and maxillofacial surgery center. They were carefully explaining everything and even said they were only putting in the IV for access in case something goes wrong etc. They explained giving me dexamethasone which I was cool with. They suddenly stopped explaining anything or talking to me at all and were pushing something via IV. I was asking what it was but i don’t remember if they answered or if my memory of speaking my question clearly is even accurate. I found out afterward that it was versed, which I had also declined to have. Then they put me all the way under at some point when I was gorked on that. Woke up later with them giving instructions that I’m sure they already told me and my wife. I asked the surgeon why I was put out and he said “I do all of these procedures under general anesthesia :shrug:” which conflicts with what he said before. I would have found a different surgeon if he had just told me he wouldn’t do it.

Also I tend to get aphthous stomatitis and the sore throat didn’t just go away, it erupted into ulcers for about two weeks

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

apatheticman posted:

this exact thing happened to my dad and it was a problem for years and years until they pulled the tooth out and put an implant in

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

freeedr posted:

If the dentist thinks their dental procedure is too forceful to be awake for I invite them to go into orthopedic surgery with me. Now that poo poo gets violent

My wisdom teeth were cut out of my jaw with a bone saw. You bet your rear end I was under general for that .

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

apatheticman posted:

There is a longer video of that where the camera turns around and it's a dude.

FTFY

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

oh yeah I love Aphex Twin

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Why would this matter? :allears:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://i.imgur.com/TzHJPhv.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/NLn2ccl.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/iMr2iiz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/L07f8ol.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/elpZDd9.mp4

:australia:
https://i.imgur.com/86swmkH.mp4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the navy dentist could have just tied your tooth to the breech of the cannon and asked them to fire it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

OwlFancier posted:

Surely the navy dentist could have just tied your tooth to the breech of the cannon and asked them to fire it.

That would have been a better solution so that's why the u.s. navy decided against it

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ror posted:

:australia:
https://i.imgur.com/86swmkH.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id954084Vcs

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/99JS06s.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

OwlFancier posted:

I was a submariner, so it would have been a torpedo

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That would have been a better solution so that's why the u.s. navy decided against it

Also this