Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Xmas hopes dashed.

e: oooh Xmas snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtzRP0fycII

Trailer

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm glad they're seemingly going back and undoing that whole mind-wiping Donna business.

At least I hope. Why bring her back if not that?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
They ... They're doing the plot from the 1984 Marvel Doctor Who comic in one of these?

(Earth-5556 for MCU multiverse)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SimplyCosmic posted:

They ... They're doing the plot from the 1984 Marvel Doctor Who comic in one of these?

Rusty already gone mad with power :sickos:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I cannot believe that's actually Beep the loving Meep

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

well now

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In lieu of a new special, I just got through a "Husbands of River Song" rewatch.

The ending never fails to get me right in the feels. :cry:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I was annoyed at bringing back 10 but I'll happily take 10 if it means more Donna. She's literally the best.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

I visited the place where that was filmed (Texas Hollywood, in Almeria, Spain) in 2016, and wondered why there was one building that looked very much out of place. It wasn't until much later that I made the connection. So they went to all the time and expense and trouble of travelling to Spain to shoot an episode that was forgotten five minutes after it aired.

It also showed how infrequently westerns are shot in Almeria now, since four years later it still wasn't worth their while to strip the steampunk stuff from the standing set.

It was a cool idea at the time to treat that season as like a collection of short movies. There were some amazing trailers and posters, and was amazing for Who to feel like it had such high production values.

Also I love that 60th trailer. Feels like it's fallen straight out of the 2009 year of specials.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SimplyCosmic posted:

He just had to go deeper to out-nerd the other showrunners' continuity references!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
New fan here. My girlfriend has been into Doctor Who since the reboot started, and she's wanted me to get into it for years, so we've been watching through it together.

I've been reading through this thread to see how her opinions (which may have colored mine somewhat) compare to the general vibe of goons here, and I'm surprised at how different it is.

So far I've really liked pretty much everything from the Ninth and Tenth Doctors' seasons (I liked Donna's season the most, personally), but I've been having a really hard time getting through the Eleventh, which feels weird since it seems to be the general fan favorite series. I think it's mostly because we both found Amy and River Song to be utterly insufferable characters and Eleven's personality to be grating after 3 seasons of Ten, so we skipped ahead a bit to where Clara comes in and I've been enjoying it significantly more. I'll probably go back and watch the Amy story arcs later on my own time (she hated them the first time around and didn't want to watch them again), but I'm looking forward to being caught up and potentially looking into earlier seasons. Unsure if I want to go all the way back to the beginning since going through decades of content seems daunting, but I've heard the Fourth Doctor's run is really good.

Any suggestions for someone who's just been starting out?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Watching all of Classic Who in a binge format is hellish. It's not modern television and it's not meant to be consumed that way; stick to the greatest hits. The other thing about the Fourth Doctor is that he has two-and-a-bit "eras" across seven years with some major tonal differences; mainly Phillip Hinchecliff's Hammer Horror-inspired gothic space peril, and Douglas Adams and co's more Bohemian adventure-comedies. Great Four stories include Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, City of Death, The Ribos Operation, and The Pirate Planet.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You COULD check my OP for recommendations on where to start. Please, do!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just read through story synopsis and watch stories that sound interesting to you

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Also OP is spot on about Amy and River being absolutely insufferable characters

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Framboise posted:

I've been having a really hard time getting through the Eleventh, which feels weird since it seems to be the general fan favorite series.

The Moffat era is a very different kind of programme to the RTD era; people can be fans of both (or neither), but you don't have to be.

Framboise posted:

Unsure if I want to go all the way back to the beginning since going through decades of content seems daunting, but I've heard the Fourth Doctor's run is really good.

Any suggestions for someone who's just been starting out?

Watch The Robots of Death and report back

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

T. Baker is my, and a lot of people's favorite TV Doctor because that was the classic shows creative peak. That said, definitely temper your expectations. Doctor Who was made on a shoestring budget which meant more than just giving his enemies toilet plungers for arms; they had to pad and stretch material like mad to make the budget work. You've already gotten good suggestions, but I'll reiterate that you shouldn't just try to watch it straight through. I just mentioned a week or so ago in this thread that one of the worst Four stories was his first one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope we get an updated 500 Miles video out of the new Tennant era.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I hope we get an updated 500 Miles video out of the new Tennant era.

I'm not sure why it would happen? The first one was made because it marked the end of an entire era of Who: Tennant, RTD, Julie Gardner and a bunch of other people were all leaving as the Moffat regime was coming in. Tennant's doing three specials and that's that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Because it would be fun?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I would like a version of the Ballad of Russell and Julie without the joke about Barrowman being a sex pest on set.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm pretty stoked for Ncuti and wish that new trailer would have at least given us more than just the same "Will someone tell me what the hell is going on here" clip of him.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm not seeing much in that trailer that makes 14 seem that much different from 10, so I'm hoping there's some kind of twist. I suppose the timing of the new Doctor is a little awkward being stuck between the 100th BBC special and the forthcoming 60th of the show, but I'm intrigued to see what the 15th Doctor is going to be like.

All we've had is him standing in a green screen land (twice) and the promo photo. So long as RTD doesn't just write him as the 10th Doctor....but again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My completely unfounded theory with the like 5 seconds of footage they have of the 15th Doctor is that it's some Quantum Leap situation where he's in some kind of waiting room or extra dimensional space trying to figure out why he's not the Doctor

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I can’t remember where I saw it, but I like the idea of David ‘I don’t want to go’ Tennant’s Doctor hanging around in that waiting room from The Power of the Doctor, refusing to move on.

With everything that happened in Power, Tennant’s Doctor got out as a new regeneration and now Gatwa is stuck somewhere, expecting to be the new Doctor but somehow not being the Doctor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still agree with what I said when Tennant was first rumored to return with RTD; Bringing back Tennant (and Donna) smacks to me of creative bankruptcy. We'll see if he has anything interesting to say with it, I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sitting here going "Yay, Ten and Donna are back! Its 2006 again, everything is great and my back doesnt hurt anymore!", I'm sitting here thinking "So, no new ideas then Rusty? Just pushing these two back out on stage to mumble through the greatest hits for a nostalgia pop?".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SiKboy posted:

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still agree with what I said when Tennant was first rumored to return with RTD; Bringing back Tennant (and Donna) smacks to me of creative bankruptcy. We'll see if he has anything interesting to say with it, I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sitting here going "Yay, Ten and Donna are back! Its 2006 again, everything is great and my back doesnt hurt anymore!", I'm sitting here thinking "So, no new ideas then Rusty? Just pushing these two back out on stage to mumble through the greatest hits for a nostalgia pop?".

They're trying to goose viewership now that Disney is co-funding the show. Tennant's run was huge in terms of viewers and merchandise.

That's basically all there is to it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SiKboy posted:

I'd be more cynical about it if they weren't already also promoting the 15th Doctor as well as Tennant getting a second third incarnation in the role. But we know it's a temporary thing and it's a nostalgia tour. I'm more tolerant of fanservice when they know it's fanservice

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We've all had some very long covid filled years, and we all deserve a bit of fan service.

Donna was also the best 10 companion, and she deserves a happier ending than the one she got.
Just sad Bernard Cribbins won't be about.

Going to go see Van Gogh Alive tomorrow and giving Vincent and the Doctor a rewatch
https://vangoghalive.com.au/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Infinitum posted:

Just sad Bernard Cribbins won't be about.

He's no longer with us, but he did work on the specials, so we'll see Wilf again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Didn't know that. Good. :unsmith:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SiKboy posted:

We all know the real reason. Regardless of what some may think of them, the Capaldi and Whittaker years lost a lot of the momentum the show had, and they want to try and pull as many of them back to give Who another chance.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/BarnabyEdwards/status/1607424263526440968

Very sad news. A lot of us will remember him as the first actor to play Space Commander Travis in the first season of Blakes 7, but he also did some work on DW (both The Infinite Quest and some of the Big Finish DW ranges) and appeared in a lot of other British TV productions during his career.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

SiKboy posted:

It's the 60th. I would cut it a bit of slack at this point.

And sad news about Greif. Another Blakes 7 light gone. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SiKboy posted:

We're in a transition period, so this might be a preview of what to expect with Fifteen's run

Granted, I wouldn't say Christmas Invasion was completely indicative of the rest of Ten's run, although it did set a few balls rolling that eventually paid off, so...

"Don't you think she looks tired?"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SiKboy posted:

They're coming off back to back failed Doctors (not really the actors' faults, but still). Having 10 come back just to ease in the new guy just seems smart to me. If it was a full revival run with 10 I'd be more worried about it being a retread.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

12 was not a failed Doctor and I will die on this hill.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I liked 12, I just didn't like the stories he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In terms of story quality Twelve is great, he's pretty handily my favorite Doctor. But there was a pretty steep decline in viewership during the Capaldi era that continued into Whitaker, which is what people are referring to I think.

Ordinarily I would be much more skeptical of the whole Ten nostalgia tour and Disney partnership (and I still am!) but the show loving sucks at this point and Chibnall didn't develop any talent who could conceivably carry on after him, so whatever I guess. It's not like they could make it any worse.