Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I hate those dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

why aren’t they all crying, in a dark room

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

naem posted:

why aren’t they all crying, in a dark room

Because it's a faaake. You can tell by some of the pixels, and having seen many shops

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Celebrating Christmas with two genocidal maniacs is something we can all relate to

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

CainFortea posted:

You have a Picard is french. He says it all the time

the best thing about star trek is that it portrays a future where france has been culturally assimilated by the english

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the best thing about star trek is that it portrays a future where france has been culturally assimilated by the english

Le cordon biscuits

naem
May 29, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

https://youtu.be/KlhzX7UKKNU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Stupid dumb Star Trek Picard season 2 ruins this with some bullshit about wartime refugees or something

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Endless Trash posted:

Stupid dumb Star Trek Picard season 2 ruins this with some bullshit about wartime refugees or something
Yeah the story is that the Picard family fled France to England during WW2 and that's why he has an English accent

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the story is that the Picard family fled France to England during WW2 and that's why he has an English accent

Picard is so bad.

While possible, the chances of his family losing that accent and gaining a french one after generations (10 gens?) would be incredibly high.

His family must be one of those die hard, "it's transparent aluMINIUM!" British exiles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i prefer my theory that he's from an enclave of descendants of british refugees who settled in france after the benighted isle of albion sank into the sea. culturally french, but with a british accent.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Endless Trash posted:

I don't care about fan fiction

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I don't care about fan fiction

It honestly blows my mind how similar the writing in that show resembles the kind of bad fanfic I used to read through during summer vacations as a kid on TrekBBS, it's completely uncanny

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
EXTERIOR: A GENERIC SUBURBAN HOME.

SMASH CUT TO INTERIOR OF BASEMENT. SQUALID CONDITIONS. JENGA TOWER OF PIZZA BOXES. VARIOUS TWO LITER BOTTLES ARE FILLED WITH URINE. Nerd DICTATES TO HIMSELF ALOUD AS HE TYPES LOUDLY ON HIS COMPUTER’S KEYBOARD.

NERD: 7 of 9 is so hot. She should lezz out with a deadbeat mother who lives in a trailer.

END SCENE

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

picard had french royalist ancestors during the Napoleonic era, that's why we see he has an ancestor in the royal navy and he wants to be a British tar

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Wasn't Picard's family conquistadors or something as well?

The Native American's in Space, called out his family for being horrible, right?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Burning_Monk posted:

Wasn't Picard's family conquistadors or something as well?

The Native American's in Space, called out his family for being horrible, right?

Actually they were just upset because Château Picard tastes like Hawaiian Punch with a squirt of nail polish remover in it.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Actually they were just upset because Château Picard tastes like Hawaiian Punch with a squirt of nail polish remover in it.

That episode of the Simpsons where Bart goes to France on student exchange took place at Château Picard.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Infidel Castro posted:

That episode of the Simpsons where Bart goes to France on student exchange took place at Château Picard.

Lol I was also thinking that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

External Organs posted:

Nemesis would have been a lot better with no Picard and make Tom Hardy do a The Parent Trap on himself, but the parents are the Romulans and the Vulcans.
ftfy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Burning_Monk posted:

His family must be one of those die hard, "it's transparent aluMINIUM!" British exiles.
the french, like everywhere outside north america, also say aluminium

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, Tom Hardy blamed Nemesis for his career troubles after it flopped.

It wasn't that. Hardy's performance as Shinzon / not-Picard was one of the most widely derided parts of Nemesis--it was called out in a lot of reviews in the UK--and he took it very personally, spiraling deeper into alcohol and crack addiction to the point that he was borderline suicidal. It wasn't until he cleaned up (and Refn came around with Bronson) that his career rebounded.

He didn't blame the movie so much as he took its failure as a personal failing on his part.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

It wasn't that. Hardy's performance as Shinzon / not-Picard was one of the most widely derided parts of Nemesis--it was called out in a lot of reviews in the UK--and he took it very personally, spiraling deeper into alcohol and crack addiction to the point that he was borderline suicidal. It wasn't until he cleaned up (and Refn came around with Bronson) that his career rebounded.

He didn't blame the movie so much as he took its failure as a personal failing on his part.

Huh, I remember people singling out Hardy's performance at the time as one of the few high points of the movie.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I can't believe I've read this whole thread from start to finish.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Garak defending the military occupation of Bajor to the Bajorians is fantastic

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Demilich posted:

I can't believe I've read this whole thread from start to finish.
There's worse ways to spend six years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

Picard is so bad.

While possible, the chances of his family losing that accent and gaining a french one after generations (10 gens?) would be incredibly high.

No, like, they fled to England during WW2 and then settled there and Picard's dad decided to move to France when Picard was 10. Chateau Picard was abandoned and they returned to the ancient family home.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Garak defending the military occupation of Bajor to the Bajorians is fantastic

Garak is a debatebro only you can actually stand to be near him most of the time.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I bet Garak smells amazing like delavian chocolates

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
somebody needs to ask andy robinson what garak smelled like because I bet he thought about it

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
A Ferengi union organiser does a behind the scenes expose of what goes on at Chateau Picard. The documentary ends up abruptly when one of Picards Romulan overseers notices the camera.

Make it Rom.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Prurient Squid posted:

A Ferengi union organiser does a behind the scenes expose of what goes on at Chateau Picard. The documentary ends up abruptly when one of Picards Romulan overseers notices the camera.

Make it Rom.

Rom is Grand Negus, he doesn't have time for that bullshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tighclops posted:

somebody needs to ask andy robinson what garak smelled like because I bet he thought about it
"Mainly of Bashir"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Star Trek Lower Decks could definitely have a episode that dealt with Ferengonar? and Rom could be in it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Star Trek Lower Decks could definitely have a episode that dealt with Ferengonar? and Rom could be in it.

and brunt :)

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GolfHole posted:

and brunt :)

More Jeffery Combs is always good.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Jeffrey Combs needs at least four more characters on that show

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Will Nog be in it?!!??!?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
People bitch about season 3 of tos being bad but it's the one that's got Lincoln in it so it can't be that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Prurient Squid posted:

People bitch about season 3 of tos being bad but it's the one that's got Lincoln in it so it can't be that bad?
Three words- ‘A charming Negress’