Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looks like it's both handball AND offside though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Boo to VAR

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheRat posted:

They should cancel each other out, right??

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

TheRat posted:

no it was just offside

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sphyre posted:

no it was just offside

Looked like it hit the inside of the other guy's elbow before it went to Boly but I might be wrong vOv

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Big Garnacho fan, me

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This "Casemiro" kid is pretty good

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Getting back into watching soccer has been really fun. With only watching WC games every 4 years no wonder I thought the game was stale and boring, those teams are pretty poo poo most of the time, esp compared to premier league teams.

Anyway I used to watch and play a lot when I was younger but all the diving and antics turned me off from watching for like, one and a half decades. But it seems to have gotten SO much better. I still see some stuff that irks me but in general much less. Am I imaging all this or was there a concerted effort to curb all that?

I remember being genuinely embarrassed to tell people I played because they'd always ask if we were trained to do the diving, and my italian friend would say say "yes of course that's part of the game" and i'd just groan

edit: also the names for these teams are loving hilarious in relation to each other. manchester city, newcastle, portmouth, arsenal, nottinghamshireville forest or whatever, west hamfordton, and then.........WOLVES lol. think i was on an AYSO team named that

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 28, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

thehandtruck posted:

Getting back into watching soccer has been really fun. With only watching WC games every 4 years no wonder I thought the game was stale and boring, those teams are pretty poo poo most of the time, esp compared to premier league teams.

Anyway I used to watch and play a lot when I was younger but all the diving and antics turned me off from watching for like, one and a half decades. But it seems to have gotten SO much better. I still see some stuff that irks me but in general much less. Am I imaging all this or was there a concerted effort to curb all that?

I remember being genuinely embarrassed to tell people I played because they'd always ask if we were trained to do the diving, and my italian friend would say say "yes of course that's part of the game" and i'd just groan

VAR has helped for sure, since any dive will be checked by someone else so they're much more likely to be caught. It's definitely not 100% though because sometimes* the refs are incompetent or cowards.

*lol

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

thehandtruck posted:

edit: also the names for these teams are loving hilarious in relation to each other. manchester city, newcastle, portmouth, arsenal, nottinghamshireville forest or whatever, west hamfordton, and then.........WOLVES lol. think i was on an AYSO team named that

They are literally named after their town. Their name is Wolverhampton Wanderers. Sorry to burst your bubble!

Arsenal are the odd ones out being named after where their first players worked (The Royal Arsenal) while all others are just named after where they are from.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Masonity posted:

They are literally named after their town. Their name is Wolverhampton Wanderers. Sorry to burst your bubble!

Arsenal are the odd ones out being named after where their first players worked (The Royal Arsenal) while all others are just named after where they are from.

Port Vale

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arsenal is the only team to have a tube station named after them :eng101:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How many goals will Haaland score today

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This Man City kit is sick

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

we all love… leeds scum?!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Grealish diving twice in his own half in the first 15 minutes is pretty funny

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Frankston posted:

How many goals will Haaland score today

9 own goals, for his hometown club

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol grealish you twat

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

mods???!!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Name a better player with worse finishing than Jack Grealish

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

De Bruyne deserves better

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rodri scores? Haaland fraud status confirmed

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Had em on the ropes for 46 minutes. Do they get a point for that

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

In the second half Leeds will want to not let City have 90% possession and a million chances imo

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kyle Walker lmao

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The saga of Kyle Walker loving with the bench cam is more interesting than the game

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Extremely cool defending

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Put Fat Kal in the game

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i get the feeling man city are a little better at football than leeds

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Leeds fans cheering loudly every time they do a bit of pressing is cool but also kind of sad

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Put Fat Kal in the game

He's warming up!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesse Shart

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is that 20 goals for haaland in the league?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gnonto is hard af. What a presence

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

3-0 is the most dangerous scoreline

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Frankston posted:

Is that 20 goals for haaland in the league?

I was going to say there's not a loving chance that's right but then I checked it. The football-cyborg really has 20 PL goals already and the season isn't even halfway over.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
we all love leeds

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1608213820316741632

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

I was going to say there's not a loving chance that's right but then I checked it. The football-cyborg really has 20 PL goals already and the season isn't even halfway over.

absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

can you imagine the insurance premiums he must be paying for when someone finally snaps and stamps hard on his ankle