Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the damage for everyone this year in terms of putting paint on models? I don't mean assembling and priming, I mean like, working on a model enough to be "done with it for the time being"

I looked over my blog and it looks like I've "done" 87 this year....I have a small amount of Tyranids (26) and Chaos Marines (13) sitting on my desk I should probably do to close out the year with a bang...if I can find the time...

According to Instagram I only painted 17 models this year. I took a big break after painting my star wars minis last December, didn't paint again until May, went on vacation, then didn't paint again until September. Been flying back and forth across the country for family stuff, from October to now, and haven't had much opportunity to paint.

Weirdly, the models I've painted this year have been the best I've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WIP of my first krieg unit, any advice or critique before I clean it up and add shoulder designs and fix some sloppy bits?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

bird food bathtub posted:

Do I just suck at this process or does air brushing cause hand cramps for other people? I did as many models as I could today before I stopped and I couldn't properly clean out my air brush with the claw I had available on my right arm for an hour or so.

If it'll fit, try and grab a "High Roller" trigger from Badger. They'll usually fit in other airbrushes and make a world of difference. Alternately, try and vary your grip; like by default you probably use the "pencil" grip with your index finger on the trigger and middle finger and thumb sort of "clawing" the body. Switch it up every little bit to where you've got your index finger curled over the top of the body in front of the trigger and reach your thumb up and use that to actuate the trigger. People will call you a weirdo for doing this, but that's how HR Giger airbrushed 100% of the time and he was 10000x better with an airbrush than anyone that's going to give you poo poo for how you hold a tool.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the damage for everyone this year in terms of putting paint on models? I don't mean assembling and priming, I mean like, working on a model enough to be "done with it for the time being"

I looked over my blog and it looks like I've "done" 87 this year....I have a small amount of Tyranids (26) and Chaos Marines (13) sitting on my desk I should probably do to close out the year with a bang...if I can find the time...

Checking my Instagram, I've gotten... Like 18? 19? done.

It's been a stressful year that's sapped a lot of motivation from me.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I painted about 40 models this year, a personal best for me, and really only got back into it around May, so pretty good overall!

I also 3D printed about 100 75mm scale figures, mostly from Loot studious, a variety of statues and large pieces, my favorite being 1/10 monocycle that is badass. Or maybe a 1/32 futuristic helicopter. On the 28/32mm side I printed out about 200 or so troops, and about a dozen vehicles.

I also got a glowforge and am working on making custom display boards for my armies to live on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's a few on paint handles I might just retire and come back to it when I'm more excited about actually painting them. I wasn't as excited about painting my nundams as I thought I would, and my last one was staring me in the face and I put it away to work on other stuff instead.

Yeah, I'm always reluctant to put things back in the pile of shame after they've made the jump to the painting desk, but sometimes you just gotta. In my case this time the figures have a very specific look that I am not at all confident I can get right (the faction is geisha inspired and I am pretty sure they are going to end up looking like zombies rather than people wearing white paint. Or at best like the circus is in town.). But I'm going to try and power through with them. I'm thinking base skin with pallid wytch flesh, do a flesh wash, then... Probably go over the skin with pallid wytch mixed with white and see how it looks. Possibly just off white with a touch of a skin tone in it instead. Ordinarily I'd mix a little of the flesh tone into the facepaint colour, but in this case they have no visible unpainted skin so....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't know how many I've painted this year but here's 5 more!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I decided I'd work on painting the chaos marines first, the guide has you do the trim on the power armor first.

Good thing these are probably the first and only chaos marines I'll ever paint.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Since big knights count as 10 models, and small knights count as 5, I did 60 for my 2k points of Chaos Knights, right??

I was thinking "wow, I didn't paint much" this year, but I probably did over 100 (160 if big things count more!). One of my new year's resolutions is to keep track of the pile of shame in a spreadsheet and actually keep track of what I paint. Maybe even take pictures of it all!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
14 night gobbos
10 dryads
A black orc
Dwarf chieftain
8 vikings including a couple converted into throwing spears
Halfling assassin
A witch hunter
Flesh golem
Phoenix
One and a half vampires
8 giant rats and a couple of skaven handlers
Loads of scenery from a Dungeons and Lasers kickstarter that i shouldn’t have backed
Some home made scenery, most notably a henge.
Sundry other minis probably.

Least fun was the phoenix - i discovered I don’t enjoy painting big models and this thing is about 10 centimetres high.

Most fun to paint was the red court vampire. I copied the flask of blood from the box art which was very satisfying.

New Year’s resolution: keep pushing the contrast. Same as last year!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

About this many:

(I didn't base them so they don't count.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've painted two dudes (the Prussians don't count), but that's two more than any other year of my life, so :toot:

Started on the gnoll too, but she's not done

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Completed (primer through based and varnished) this year:

Dropfleet Commander (1:15,000th scale)
* 1 Battleship (UCM, as are all the rest of these)
* 3 Battlecruisers
* 2 Carriers
* 1 Light Cruiser
* 4 Missile Frigates
* 6 Corvettes
* 10 fighter/bomber tokens

Dropzone Commander (10mm scale)
* 6 quadraped tanks (scourge ravagers and stalkers)
* 1 heavy hexapedal tank (scourge oppressor)
* 6 monorail pylons

Heavy Gear (1:144th/12mm scale)
* 37 mechs (Southern and Black Talons)
* 1 heavy mech (Southern Naga Strider)
* 6 dinosaur cavalry
* 2 field guns
* 20 infantry teams

I just might finish another 7 Heavy Gear mechs and a pile of 10 Dropfleet cruisers (Scourge) before the end of the year, and if not certainly by January.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I painted a chaos terminator yesterday for the first time (emperor's children) and I am not sure I can finish the rest of this unit. It felt like a slog the whole time. I tried both airbrushing the base color and the trim color first, but both methods were really exhausting. That being said, I am absolutely ripping through the cadia box and the new daves to darkness chosen.
These models are so good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
5 Capellan Confederation
2 Aerospace Fighters
10 Jade Falcons
7 Free Worlds League
7 Federated Suns
10 Lyran Commonwealth
11 Draconis Combine
8 Smoke Jaguars
12 ComStar
15 Steel Vipers
8 Wolves
16 City Camo
16 Jungle Camo (New!)

This year I painted 127 BattleMechs in total, nearly an in-universe Regiment! And a dozen or so RumbleSlam figures, I guess; but mostly BattleMechs.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Well my years tally was 8 chaos cultists of the abyss, the chaos legionnaires kill team, aeldari Corsair kill team, tau pathfinder kill team, kroot farstalker kill team, a necron compendium kill team, 1 Kellermorph, 1 old metal rogue trader ork, 1 3d printed kenku, 1 3d printed goblin, and 1 elven Archer. That's 53 total, not bad considering I took several long breaks throughout the year. I also have the navis kill team, hunter clade kill team, a skaven warcry warband, and a few other random 1offs half done sitting on my desk taunting me.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

nostrata posted:

Well my years tally was 8 chaos cultists of the abyss, the chaos legionnaires kill team, aeldari Corsair kill team, tau pathfinder kill team, kroot farstalker kill team, a necron compendium kill team, 1 Kellermorph, 1 old metal rogue trader ork, 1 3d printed kenku, 1 3d printed goblin, and 1 elven Archer. That's 53 total, not bad considering I took several long breaks throughout the year. I also have the navis kill team, hunter clade kill team, a skaven warcry warband, and a few other random 1offs half done sitting on my desk taunting me.

Holy cow thats a really impressive haul!

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I might also have been bit by the kill team bug. At this point I have more painted teams than games played. But I enjoy the variety of painting one squad of guys and then moving on to the next.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Quick question whats the best way of using citadel technical paints? I have a red, blue and green gemstone technical, but so far they seem like normal paint, im not sure how to get their gemstone shine quality out of them.

Also whats the difference between base and layer? I have a runefabg steel layer but it just looks like silver paint not sure whats the specific use case of it.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
This year got a late start but in the past few months I've painted:
10 battle sisters
10 celestian sacresants
5 zephyrim
1 imagifier

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My new years resolution will be to finish all the kill teams i bought and the terrains so that means five kill teams and the octarius and into tbe dark terrains, i think thats very achievable.

Also if i finish my videogame ork team before april i think ill actually submit it to golden demon and go to warhammer fest and participate in the kill team tournament, the only thing im wondering is if warhammer fest is worth the 500 dollar flight to england for.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 28, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think my goal for next year is probably just sheer volume. I need more practice and brush control and process refinement, everything else can come after.

If I can complete these chaos marines in the next few days, the immediate goal after that will be the tyranids (should be easier mechanically, mostly shading, drybrushing, more shading, highlights, some freckles, that might be the longest part, that and the highlighting), and then getting caught up on the imperium magazine. Right now, I'm keeping the models from the subscription separate from the main group of models. (the chaos & tyranids are part of that)

Then I think a palette cleanser will be to work on some of my sw legion, hopefully finish those, then work on the fallout ones again.

Or, once I get some textured bases in, I'll instead focus on my Ossiarch Bonereaper models, or Gloomspite Gitz (really excited about the Gitz, but those feel like ice cream before the meal) before the SWLegion/Fallout, which has been creeping up in volume even though I've put a decent dent into them.

After that, it's a small amount of Stormcast Eternals (half dominion box), Sisters of Battle, Necrons (which I hope to just do a quick and easy contrast method with) and a smattering of various etsy and small batch models. Lastly, there's a pile of Stargrave models I need to do, and those ones I need to probably just do a quick and dirty slapchop + contrast instead of putting in as much effort as I possibly can, or I'll never make appreciable progress....saying it all out loud, if it takes me a year to do 100 models, then that means I probably have 2-3 years worth of backlog...I need to kick it up a notch and spend less on models, apparently.

Al-Saqr posted:

Quick question whats the best way of using citadel technical paints? I have a red, blue and green gemstone technical, but so far they seem like normal paint, im not sure how to get their gemstone shine quality out of them.

Also whats the difference between base and layer? I have a runefabg steel layer but it just looks like silver paint not sure whats the specific use case of it.

if I recall correctly, those technical paints you need to put down pure white, then when it dries, put the like tesseract glow over it to get a bright green shine, they're just proto-contrast paints w/ higher pigment count or fluorescent kinda (at least that one is)

base/layer is just to help the newbies, I think. It may be related to opacity but I'm not certain

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 28, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Put them over a very silver metallic for best rulsts, ive found

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Since getting into Legion last August(?) I've finished painting:
A squad of wookies
2 squads of rebel troopers
1 of each of the rebel troopers upgrades
1 and a half rebel vets + mark2s
Cassian and K2
And The Mandalorian.
So, somewhere around 43 minis with about that many still left to paint. Though the last small brush I have just about bit the dust so I'm hoping the brushes I kick-started show up in the mail sooner rather than later. It's really been fun so far.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Douche Phoenix posted:

Since getting into Legion last August(?) I've finished painting:
A squad of wookies
2 squads of rebel troopers
1 of each of the rebel troopers upgrades
1 and a half rebel vets + mark2s
Cassian and K2
And The Mandalorian.
So, somewhere around 43 minis with about that many still left to paint. Though the last small brush I have just about bit the dust so I'm hoping the brushes I kick-started show up in the mail sooner rather than later. It's really been fun so far.

Did you also buy the wolf bristle brushes? If so I'm in the same boat as you

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Yeah, those are the ones. I've only used really cheap brushes, like the 10 pack assortment for like 6 bucks cheap kind. So I figured I'd make the step up to some mid grade brushes and those seemed like an insanely good deal. Didn't spring for the sable ones because I don't think I'd be able to tell that difference in quality yet.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec
Games Workshop has a ton of videos about their paints. Worth checking out. The dude that does their older videos (Duncan Rhodes) now has his own channel with more tutorials.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

engessa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec
Games Workshop has a ton of videos about their paints. Worth checking out. The dude that does their older videos (Duncan Rhodes) now has his own channel with more tutorials.

yeah duncan rhodes is brilliant, I'll pay more attention to his stuff, this video clears up alot of questions I had! I'll make a second pass on my krieg eyes with a gold base and red soulstone when I get home.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I painted way less this year than I should have, but I guess that's how it works some years.

GW stuff:
2 Assault Intercessors
Doom Scythe
5 Aeldari Rangers
Hexmark Destroyer
Necron Overlord
Cairn Wraith
Imperial Knight Moirax
Awlrach the Drowner
10 Craventhrone Guard
5 Flayed Ones
10 Necron Immortals
Cryptek Technomancer
10 Necron Warriors
Warhammer+ Vindicare Assassin
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought
Tons of 3D printed terrain and GW terrain

Battletech:
Griffin
Vindicator
Awesome
BattleMaster
Catapult
Enforcer
Hunchback
Raven
Victor
Blackjack
Jenner
Panther
Wolfhound
Flea
Thunderbolt
A bunch of vehicles

Some photos:

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
This year I painted:

Doom board game:
8 Spiders
10 Imps
2 Arch Viles

LOTR Heroes: (all GW)
2 X Boromir on foot (Shield and banner)
Boromir mounted (with banner)
Cirion
Beregond
3 X Faramir (Ranger, heavy armour on foot, heavy armour mounted)
Damrod
Madril
3 Mordor Orc Commanders
1 Mordor Orc banner
2 X Witch King of Angmar (foot & mounted)

LOTR troops (all GW)
24 Gondor Rangers
6 Warg Riders

Star Wars Legion
14 Storm Troopers
6 Death troopers
Darth Vader
Director Orson Krennic
4 Speeder Bikes
21 Snow Troopers
7 Scout troopers
1 AT-ST

Historical:
16 Medieval Sergeants (Fireforge games)
38 Ancient Germans (Victrix)
26 Imperial Japanese Army soldiers (Warlord games)

Miscellaneous:
6 Living Dead Knights (Fireforge games)
2 Zombie Dogs (Fireforge games)
5 15mm houses (battlefront)
1 28mm scale bunker

Should be a total of about 207, depending on how you count terrain pieces.

It's important to note that I'm not a great painter, everything is tabletop standard, with just basecoats and a wash. All the Star wars guys and the IJA are based, everyone else is just black base (and will probably stay that way). I enjoy batch painting, and I really like uncomplicated minis, the Victrix Germans were absolutely made for me. This was the first year I started counting, but I have a feeling it was my most productive year by a landslide. I mostly credit getting into Star Wars for that, I think having an end goal always in sight, combined with easy to paint minis that were mostly contrast made it easy. I may get some Shore troopers or special characters eventually, but it feels completed for now, as I can run a variety of lists with what I have.
The immediate future hold another 40 or so IJA soldiers, plus their tank, and then 24 Mordor orcs, another 22 ancient Germans, 16 MORE medieval sergeants, 10 mantic goblins, an old Orc rock lobba, and god knows what else.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Started the hobby this year and got through in order:

a squad of CSM legionaries
a squad of Warp Talons
a noise marine themed chaos lord/master of executioners print
a squad of Havocs all with chainguns
a Master of Posessions
an Abaddon print
started a Chosen squad recently

I love it, I sit around at work watching painting videos and when I'm home all I want to do is paint. 2023 will be a year of a lot more models done

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gently caress. In the seven months since I started painting, I have 107 painted minis on my shelf, one more I just finished on the painting table, and another 20 or 30 I gave away at various points, all painted as best I could at the time I did them. Looks like my pottery class approach is working, too, given the progress I can see comparing when I started to where I am now.

The early ones, for the first four months or so, are 99% old reaper bones minis from kickstarter 1 and 2, and they range in size from reaper mouselings, mimics, and familiars (very fuckin small) to the reaper Dragons Don't Share diorama.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
3rd Kill Team member for my Custodes. Went a little wild on this guy.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

This guy rips

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Ironblood posted:

Aaaah this is *so pretty*

did you blend the colours on the model or on the palette and apply them in a gradient? How do??

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HFS :2monocle:

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Aaaah this is *so pretty*

did you blend the colours on the model or on the palette and apply them in a gradient? How do??

Thank you, I'm so happy with how he turned out! I'm a pretty new painter, and this was a huge risk since this is mini #13 ever. I was worried my next big learning experience was going to be how to strip a mini.

Mostly palette blended, with a ton of glazing. Some of the shield blending was wet blending, since that seemed to work the best in the really confined space.

I use scale75 paints, and most of these huge color blobs are basically a single drop of paint and tons of glaze medium. The fluorescent colors are Golden acrylics. If I had to choose again, I'd pick up the high flow version of these, but they seem to work just fine with a ton of glaze medium and a drop or so of water.

Captain Ironblood fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 29, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Thank you, I'm so happy with how he turned out! I'm a pretty new painter, and this was a huge risk since this is mini #13 ever. I was worried my next big learning experience was going to be how to strip a mini.

Mostly palette blended, with a ton of glazing. Some of the shield blending was wet blending, since that seemed to work the best in the really confined space.

I use scale75 paints, and most of these huge color blobs are basically a single drop of paint and tons of glaze medium. The fluorescent colors are Golden acrylics. If I had to choose again, I'd pick up the high flow version of these, but they seem to work just fine with a ton of glaze medium and a drop or so of water.

Very good info, thank you:)

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Calhanol posted:

It's a simple T-100 air compressor. I was testing the pressure gauge and it simply stopped pumping. The power light lights up but nothing else. I tried opening it up but I didn't want to damage the casing. I got as far as the four screws at the bottom but could not separate the casing, due to something else holding them together. If I knew how I would try to fix it myself.

This may be a stupid question but did it pump up to its cut out pressure then stop? Is there pressure in the tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Hey mini painting thread! I just wrapped up my first set of GW minis after painting crisis protocol for a year and a half. The smaller scale is definitely a different animal but I think I did ok! I prioritized playing to the molded detail and poppy highlights over smoothness this go round.

Anyways, here's a pack of fresh corsairs!