Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vagabong posted:

I don't normally think that the government should involve itself in what creatives do, but films about films should be a capital crime

Naw, there's some really good ones.
Day for Night, Millennium Actress, Contempt

Or more metaphorically. Blow Out, Three Colors:Red, Blow Up, Boogie Nights

All the movies that are Hollywood sucking Hollywood off for how great Hollywood is can gently caress right off though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vagabong posted:

I don't normally think that the government should involve itself in what creatives do, but films about films should be a capital crime

How else will you lay out delicious bait for the Oscars?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Pardons should be issued in exceptional circumstances

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grondoth posted:

The wiki's first paragraph

A movie about Hollywood featuring Fatty Arbuckle and Virginia Rappe?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Be Kind Rewind was pretty good, though.

that's a whimsical Michel Gondry joint though

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Film Twitter is just a vehicle for scolding people for watching or not watching certain films - differing opinions on films are not just differing opinions they must always be held up as evidence of some sort of societal or moral decline. It's also there for people to endlessly pontificate, argue and draw battle lines about the worth of films they've not actually seen. It is bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I used to lurk on an animation industry forum in the 2000s and the last straw for me was when people would get performatively angry if you didn’t commit to seeing Everybody’s Hero, the CG film where Whoopi Goldberg plays a talking bat with human lips

Because if you didn’t, you were killing animation

This sounds like a bit I’m doing but it was entirely real

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

I used to lurk on an animation industry forum in the 2000s and the last straw for me was when people would get performatively angry if you didn’t commit to seeing Everybody’s Hero, the CG film where Whoopi Goldberg plays a talking bat with human lips

Because if you didn’t, you were killing animation

This sounds like a bit I’m doing but it was entirely real

i mean do you remember when The Emoji Movie was coming out and people were deadass saying that if you don't go out and watch The Emoji Movie, then Sony Pictures will shut down its animation studio and we'll never see another animated movie that wasn't made by Disney ever again

and then like 6 months later Sony released Enter the Spider-Verse lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

i mean do you remember when The Emoji Movie was coming out and people were deadass saying that if you don't go out and watch The Emoji Movie, then Sony Pictures will shut down its animation studio and we'll never see another animated movie that wasn't made by Disney ever again

A risk I would be willing to take.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Living in Oblivion is hilarious and an absolute must-watch. It's not nearly the most famous movie about making movies, but it's always the one that comes to mind first for me. Of course, that one's also not Hollywood at all.

ED: Huh, I didn't actually know until now that it's Peter Dinklage's first credit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still have to see Encanto, and now Strange World I guess because they just dumped it out with no marketing as if it was a Pixar film

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What are the good movies about movies? Movies about the film industry are also acceptable.

Cabin in the Woods
Inception
Living in Oblivion
Millennium Actress
Sex is Comedy
Singin' in the Rain
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story

Any others? I'm struggling to think of any others.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 28, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kim Justice posted:

Living in Oblivion is hilarious and an absolute must-watch. It's not nearly the most famous movie about making movies, but it's always the one that comes to mind first for me. Of course, that one's also not Hollywood at all.

ED: Huh, I didn't actually know until now that it's Peter Dinklage's first credit.

I watched that in school, it's great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the bad and the beautiful, sunset blvd, all that jazz, and......the muppet movie bitch!!!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just reminded of a '01 Chinese movie called Big Shot's Funeral, where Donald Sutherland played a director who was doing a remake of The Last Emperor but fell into a coma midway. Before that he told his assistant he wanted a "comedy funeral" so they turned the whole thing into major sponsored event where every part of his body was going to have adverts, etc but he didn't die and recovered. I don't know if this can be found (il)legally anywhere now but i remember it was good save for ending at a whimper rather than a bang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJR9w8ILys

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

edogawa rando posted:

What are the good movies about movies? Movies about the film industry are also acceptable.

Cabin in the Woods
Inception
Living in Oblivion
Millennium Actress
Sex is Comedy
Singin' in the Rain

Adaptation, Ed Wood, Tropic Thunder.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

Cabin in the Woods
Inception
Living in Oblivion
Millennium Actress
Sex is Comedy
Singin' in the Rain

One Cut of the Dead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fun hater posted:

the bad and the beautiful, sunset blvd, all that jazz, and......the muppet movie bitch!!!
i'm ok with hollywood making films about hollywood only if all the characters are played by the muppets

i've said before that the film The Apple should be mostly Muppets aside from Boogaloo and Mr Topps

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
make the next knives out entirely muppets except for the obvious villain and benoit blanc and i will forgive hollywood for everything

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoctorWhat posted:

In 2022 trading is so low-friction that if it's a scam, it's one of the least effective scams of all time.

Here's a video I saw recently that covers how, specifically in gen three, it went from just "hey, trade with your friends!" to becoming a sprawling nightmare. Basically; Gen 3 was where they dropped the "Gotta catch 'em all" tagline, and in the first two gens all you really needed was a friend or two with the other version. Swap your pokemon or trade or whatever, and there you go since you could trade freely with red and blue. But in Gen 3 that became highly improbable because you couldn't trade backwards with the previous two generations, and your pokedex would be filled with massive holes since you would find trainers using the old pokemon and stuff throughout the game. Eventually they released the remakes, Leaf Green and Fire Red. But you could only trade between the remakes and ruby and sapphire effectively after you beat the game. So even if all you're doing is just trading with a friend, and your friend has the versions you don't; that's a lot of work for the two of you. Especially since neither of you still would be able to complete your pokedexes since the post-game content in leaf green and fire red each lets you pick between one starter and one legendary dog, as well as one gen 2 starter. So you'll either need a third friend, or one of you is going to have to play the whole game over again. But you still won't effectively be able to get some pokemon, like Lugia and Ho-oh without either going to events or buying one of the gamecube spinoffs and a GBA to gamecube link cable. And that's not even getting into the gen 3 legendaries which were almost all locked behind events, e-reader cards or spinoff games.

Gen 3 and 4 were really bad about this poo poo, and it wasn't until Black and White went with the soft reboot approach that it began to lighten up again, though it still had a touch of it, and it only began to soften even more thanks to how much easier online trading and connecting has become, replacing a lot of live events with just driving past a gamestop with spotpass enabled.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Double post.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I still have the DS addon that I had to connect to my PC to even connect my gen4 game to the internet.
Let me tell ya, that online trading hub still is pandemonium. Thousands of people asking to trade their Pidgeys for Mews.

fun hater posted:

make the next knives out entirely muppets except for the obvious villain and benoit blanc and i will forgive hollywood for everything

I do love that the villain of the recent movie was so obviously the top suspect that he escaped notice because he would have to be extremely dumb to make those murders. And he actually was that stupid.

Bonus points for making Ben Shapiro seethe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Babylon and The Fabelmans both rule hard and it's a shame they're both flopping. A Spielberg flop would have been unthinkable pre-pandemic but now he's had two in a row. The current state of affairs with the box office sucks more than usual!

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
The Fabelmans was a good example of a self indulgent movie that's good at least, yea. Like, it is a bit of a self suck but it's made better by being a self suck by Steven loving Spielberg so at least it's high quality. Plus as eye rolly as 'Steven Spielberg makes a movie about Not-Steven Spielberg' can be at least to his credit near everyone asked about it did go 'oh yea that's legit we did know he was a gifted filmmaker pretty much from the start' so I guess we can't fault a guy for being a genuine prodigy who knew how to use art to express himself fairly early on.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOHfbDnkPEI

This channel doesn't seem to be discussed much here, but Just Write just published an analysis of the Foundation show, which in addition to being a good analysis of the show, also reveals which movie most successfully adapted a work by Asimov. I am willing to bet that it is not whichever one you are thinking of (the ending twist is incredible).

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Shartin Mad posted:

The Fabelmans was a good example of a self indulgent movie that's good at least, yea. Like, it is a bit of a self suck but it's made better by being a self suck by Steven loving Spielberg so at least it's high quality. Plus as eye rolly as 'Steven Spielberg makes a movie about Not-Steven Spielberg' can be at least to his credit near everyone asked about it did go 'oh yea that's legit we did know he was a gifted filmmaker pretty much from the start' so I guess we can't fault a guy for being a genuine prodigy who knew how to use art to express himself fairly early on.

Is there a sequence where Fabelman directs Columbo?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arbite posted:

Is there a sequence where Fabelman directs Columbo?

No but he does get to meet John Ford as played by David Lynch and it's a banger of a scene.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Izzzyzzz's high-fem era continues and she's doing a video on Bronys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QElez61xJ3Q

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

edogawa rando posted:

A movie about Hollywood featuring Fatty Arbuckle and Virginia Rappe?
The Academy Awards were started as a way of the industry trying to put their distinguished face on and regain public image in the wake of that scandal.

So if they ever did make Oscar bait about that scandal they'd be making a movie vying for the attention of the group founded to take away attention from the scandal.

edogawa rando posted:

Cabin in the Woods
Inception
Living in Oblivion
Millennium Actress
Sex is Comedy
Singin' in the Rain

Hugo
Censor was pretty fun
Someone else mentioned One Cut of the Dead
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (sorta)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8i5SABqwU

Tom Murphy VII on becoming a real life pacman (in more ways than one) and running every single street in Pittsburgh over 16 years.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

stillvisions posted:

The Academy Awards were started as a way of the industry trying to put their distinguished face on and regain public image in the wake of that scandal.

So if they ever did make Oscar bait about that scandal they'd be making a movie vying for the attention of the group founded to take away attention from the scandal.

As one of the extremely small number of people who saw Babylon, I can confirm that it does feature a scene that is very clearly inspired by Fatty Arbuckly and Virginia Rappe (though in the movie the actress dies of an OD, not any form of trauma). The movie is clearly heavily inspired by the book Hollywood Babylon, but doesn't actually have any D.W. Griffith-types in it like you would expect from the trailer.

It's also completely insane. As I put it in the RLM thread:

LanceHunter posted:

Babylon is glorious trash, basically this year’s House of Gucci. I’m already planning on seeing it again with my friend who goes with me to these kinds of disasters. It’s too long, but also it is also trying so goddamned hard every single second that you feel like you’re watching a manic child on a playground trying his absolute hardest to impress you. Then in the end the kid manages to set the entire playground on fire while making GBS threads himself and repeatedly falling on his face.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I looked up the Arbuckle/Rappe scandal just now because I'd never heard of it and the Wikipedia article is insanely biased with tons of unsourced personal attacks on Rappe's character.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DoctorWhat posted:

I looked up the Arbuckle/Rappe scandal just now because I'd never heard of it and the Wikipedia article is insanely biased with tons of unsourced personal attacks on Rappe's character.

The best breakdown you can get online is the episode of You Must Remember This that covered it...

http://www.youmustrememberthispodca...bylon-episode-3

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Much appreciated, listening now, but I was more aghast at how bad the article was.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8i5SABqwU

Tom7 (a goon?) did another video, that's a bit of a departure from his previous videos about Harder Drives, Superpowering a NES, or a whole host of really other nerdy videos - which the newest video also is, just a different kind of nerdy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOHfbDnkPEI

This channel doesn't seem to be discussed much here, but Just Write just published an analysis of the Foundation show, which in addition to being a good analysis of the show, also reveals which movie most successfully adapted a work by Asimov. I am willing to bet that it is not whichever one you are thinking of (the ending twist is incredible).

Wow, I knew it was going to be bad but I did not expect it to be quite like that.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

stillvisions posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (sorta)

If we're counting that does that mean we can also count Cats Don't Dance. I always thought that movie deserved better

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Have you ever wanted to watch a half-hour video about a font?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t1D3ebc6h0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mr.Radar posted:

Have you ever wanted to watch a half-hour video about a font?

No

But i'll watch it anyway