Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Terrifier 2 UHD is out for delivery today. Still need to grab a copy of Terrifier on physical too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

I just returned it. I'll watch it illegaly on the internet at some point.

yeah that too

i don't feel bad if there's no legal way to own the thing. copyright is a two-way street, if you let the thing vanish into obscurity you aren't doing any favors to the property.

plus the people listing the OOP dvd for hundreds can get hosed

It's more or less four rooms meets gondry (i can't remember if there's a framing device for the anthology stuff though)..someone should license this thing and give it some love

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1608178290296078336?s=20&t=m-h52Htd4MHb6Vbf9jRXbg

I think there was a set for these before, right? Now individual steelbooks are coming!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No actually the Rocky UHDs are coming out for the first time in February. You're probably thinking of Rambo.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

No actually the Rocky UHDs are coming out for the first time in February. You're probably thinking of Rambo.

I guess so! Wow! Only saw the first one, so I'll have to check the others at some point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

I guess so! Wow! Only saw the first one, so I'll have to check the others at some point.

:same:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

They were all just on sale for $7 a pop on Amazon over the holiday. They might still be, haven’t checked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

Terrifier 2 UHD is out for delivery today. Still need to grab a copy of Terrifier on physical too.

Looks like imma go hunting to see if I can snag the steelbook

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1608178290296078336?s=20&t=m-h52Htd4MHb6Vbf9jRXbg

I think there was a set for these before, right? Now individual steelbooks are coming!

I'm not one to normally go after individual steelbooks, but those are all pretty sharp and it's one of my favorite series. Might have to splurge.

Also I got a big laugh out of the fact that they just up and skipped Rocky V. I don't blame them.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Steelbooks with the 4K UHD banner/branding are a crime.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Agreed, but I'm hoping it's just the paperish thing that has the UPC/synopsis/etc.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yeah typically it's just the card they include in the plastic wrap you can take off and throw away

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeah, best buy has j cards, and like other things i don't understand some people even collect those

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

yeah, best buy has j cards, and like other things i don't understand some people even collect those

listen, i dont throw them out, but i wont buy them second hand.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I keep what comes with the title, less shrink wrap and usually the vendor's stickers. That includes O- and J-cards and hype stickers.

Secondhand I will go out of my way to get an O-card, if the price is right and it isn't a title I care a lot about I will accept a Steel sans J-card. I will buy an O-card by itself. I will not buy a J-card by itself.

I've been known to go out of my way to find an original 2007-08 era release (rather than the same edition in a later pressing) specifically to get one with those delightfully anachronistic "only for use in Blu-ray players and Playstation 3" stickers and "DISCOVER HIGH DEF" insert booklets.

Oh yeah and for Steels I use those goofy sleeves so the J-card can stay in its proper place.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 29, 2022

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I fold them in half and stick them under the tabs on the inside front cover. Handy to check the specs, especially since I still have to manually turn Dolby Vision on and off on my player.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

all my steelbooks are in individual plastic boxes. cant get them all scratched up on the shelf now can I?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zer0spunk posted:

yeah that too

i don't feel bad if there's no legal way to own the thing. copyright is a two-way street, if you let the thing vanish into obscurity you aren't doing any favors to the property.

plus the people listing the OOP dvd for hundreds can get hosed

It's more or less four rooms meets gondry (i can't remember if there's a framing device for the anthology stuff though)..someone should license this thing and give it some love

It's insanely hosed how recent Asian movies have been missed by this new boutique physical media boom. I remember back in the early 200s you could walk into any Suncoast in America and buy half a dozen Takashi Miike movies, half a dozen movies starring Tadanobu Asano, and a couple weird Korean movies you'd never heard of before. And now, in 2022, I hope you held on to those DVDs because those movies are loving gone. It's bullshit! I want a nice bluray copy of Cafe Lumiere! And Bird People in China! And even Save The Green Planet!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

there are steelbooks for each rambo in 4k uhd? i know there are steelbooks for each rambo in blu-ray. could you link me to them? not seeing them from searching.

i think i’d only want first blood, but could probably be convinced to get the second and third.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

there are steelbooks for each rambo in 4k uhd? i know there are steelbooks for each rambo in blu-ray. could you link me to them? not seeing them from searching.
I believe they were only sold as a complete set a year or two ago.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Those Rambo steelbooks also go for insane amounts of money currently. I wish I had picked them up when they were cheaper. I'm definitely not sleeping on the Rocky steelbooks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like the Lionsgate UHD steelbooks that have a plastic slipcover. Total Recall, Ran, and The Limey are all really cool. Not so fond of the gross artwork for Reservoir Dogs, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

I like the Lionsgate UHD steelbooks that have a plastic slipcover. Total Recall, Ran, and The Limey are all really cool. Not so fond of the gross artwork for Reservoir Dogs, though.

Yea that Total Recall UHD might be my favorite packaging I have in my collection.

They just did one for Highlander, I love that one too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1608343600773095427

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1608344013144477703

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The first Toy Story was rendered at something comparable to 720p

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheScott2K posted:

The first Toy Story was rendered at something comparable to 720p

Still looks good on UHD. The HDR doing some heavy lifting there.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
1. Those suck 2. I have the original Toy Story 4k Steels which are nicer imo.

Speaking of. Didn't they end up clearancing a bunch of those 4k Pixar Steels out in 2020 for $5 each? Wonder what's changed.

And yeah, like many if not all films that touched a computer pre-2010s (and probably a fair amount of 2010s films to boot), Toy Story was output at 2k res.

I hate using the blended res language. It was a marketing department that dreamt that poo poo up. 4 is bigger than 2. You can't use the vertical res as your guide for 70 years and then go lol big number is big and switch to horizontal. Anyway Toy Story was output around 1080. It's also redundant to say "p", unless broadcast TV is in the discussion, basically anything in the realm of film was produced in progressive scan. Interlacing is a television thing. Yes I'm sure there's a Japanese horror film produced in 2160i and that is the exception.

Edit: in before Inland Empire

pwn fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 29, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

those cases are terrible. Aren't disney animated movies known for having nice art?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
They look like the old Walt Disney Treasure cases which I thought where cool

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

those cases are terrible. Aren't disney animated movies known for having nice art?

These are the ones I have and they’re much better than these news ones.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
amazon is getting scummier

i had some credit so i bought something already discounted to 15 for 10. came damaged, and the disc loose in the case. called them to do the return label/ship replacement thing and they started giving me excuses on why they couldn't order a replacement.
for a movie in stock, that's fulfilled by them as well. what'd your stock drop 5 cents today? reorder a replacement at a higher price to replace our fuckup? no, no thanks.

b/n pulled that on me once too in store. they sent me a damaged criterion pre-order, so i went in with it, receipt, double checked they allowed returns in store from shipped items before hand, all that. they refused to exchange it for a non-damaged copy, because the pre-order price was different than the in-store retail. they would exchange copies if i paid the balance though. "selective" returns, adorable. i ended up shipping the thing back to them, and never bothered with those assclowns after that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'll probably only get Rocky IV if it comes with the Director's Cut included.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zer0spunk posted:

amazon is getting scummier

*snip*

A buddy of mine was telling me about how he loved "California Vegetable" cup noodles (which appear to be discontinued IMHO). I found one seller on Amazon, then I read the reviews. They all said received a fake USPS notice that the package was destroyed by accident at the Houston mail sorting facility.

Every last one of those reviews had an Amazon response stating that it wasn't the seller's fault.

Sounds like someone found a great loophole for scamming Amazon to me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, i stopped using amazon last year because of data privacy issues. but it really sounds like the scamming has gone to a whole new level. hell, it feels like ebay's more reliable at this point?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

abelwingnut posted:

i mean, i stopped using amazon last year because of data privacy issues. but it really sounds like the scamming has gone to a whole new level. hell, it feels like ebay's more reliable at this point?

That was the thing for me. One, maybe two 'not the seller's fault ' responses, well poo poo happens, but when they're all that way, that's some fishy poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

That was the thing for me. One, maybe two 'not the seller's fault ' responses, well poo poo happens, but when they're all that way, that's some fishy poo poo.

Me and 2 other guys are waiting for PC components from a seller called Sagasa LLC that were supposed to arrive within 3 days but are instead taking their sweet time from Mexico City. It's anyone's guess what'll be in that box. Nothing more ominous than a DHL tracking number when buying something online. Talked to an Amazon agent about it today and they're promising a refund won't be a problem.

And yep, multiple instances of the same complaint all automatically handwaved by Amazon.

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1608590968919400451?t=1sib8vbV0VfclPPranwsIg&s=19

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What I find laughable about these steelbooks is that they're just the same old discs. At least Sony uses the steelbook or special reissues as an opportunity to include extra sound mixes, do a new Dolby Vision encode, and add a few archival extras. Toy Story has had its first minute or so messed up since the 2010 Blu-ray, with Randy Newman's fanfare sloppily removed and the first few notes of the next music cue missing because the custom Disney logo was replaced with the modern one.

Combined with Disney "celebrating" their 100th anniversary with laughable 10-cartoon Blu-rays (Warner at least gives you 15-20 per disc), I'm not too excited about what 2023 will bring from them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Toy Story has had its first minute or so messed up since the 2010 Blu-ray, with Randy Newman's fanfare sloppily removed and the first few notes of the next music cue missing because the custom Disney logo was replaced with the modern one.

I hate this so much. That fanfare is wonderful and the custom logo is historically important. Literally the first thing you see in the first fully CG feature. I remember seeing it in the theater in the 90s.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Beside the absolutely shittastic cases, the picks are ultra conservative, not doing fantasia, fantasia 2000 or hell even tron legacy is sorta sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SlowBloke posted:

Beside the absolutely shittastic cases, the picks are ultra conservative, not doing fantasia, fantasia 2000 or hell even tron legacy is sorta sad.

It's also a great opportunity to retroactively declare some of the better movies from their recent acquisitions and mergers as Disney classics. Completely wasted.