Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I like that Ramattra sounds like Tim Curry when he says VIOLENCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Mega Comrade posted:

3 games, all 3 get 'healer diff' spammed at me.
Yes my healing is lower than theirs, that's because I'm getting dived, while you are throwing damage into the tank while their supports have 0 deaths.

I'm completely done until they rework the scoreboard or something. If you don't have top heals you just get blamed by everyone, regardless of the rest of the scoreboard looks like.
Overwatch used to be my chill game and its awful now, even league is a ton more chill than this.

I've uninstalled this dumb game twice now and still keep coming back because I really like the game it's just the toxic people I don't like.

Turning off auto join text/voice chat in settings helps a lot, but I totally feel you on getting poo poo on because people don't know how to interpret the scoreboard.

The thing that's been bugging me the most is being stuck in bronze 5 because I have to rely on my team to actually pull off a win. It doesn't matter how well you play if you don't win, you don't advance. Why everyone doesn't start at gold or plat then get sorted from there is beyond me. Adjusting the base to start everyone at bronze 5 seems real dumb because that lumps newly ranked players into lobbies with gold's that don't know how to play the game beyond "shoot man's with bullets".

The standard response to this complaint is "just get better" or "win matches and eventually you will rank up" I can control my skill with practice, but I can't control my team staggering, or someone throwing, or someone playing orisa like widow because Stylosa said she was OP or whatever. The last time I played comp, I went 13 straight losses. I'm willing to accept my aim isn't great, and sometimes I make dumb plays, but I'm not terrible. I have a 57% win rate in QP, but I'm upside down on comp wins at a rate of double the losses. It seems like in QP, people just play better than they do in comp.

In my bronze lobbies I'm seeing mercy players using advanced movement techniques, and clowning on teams with more kills than their DPS. Meanwhile, my Rammatra tank is playing like a new Sigma player hanging way back and trying to poke through the shield from the back line at an orisa while the pharmercy combo is housing us from the sky, and Ash is sniping the support from across the map (hyperbolically).

I don't know, I guess I'm just bad and need to spend two hours a day in Kovaks training so I can be marginally less bad and live in silver forever?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Grey Fox posted:

I like that Ramattra sounds like Tim Curry when he says VIOLENCE

I never played red alert 2 so it took me a second to figure out what you meant here but lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

aim trainers are massively overrated. you can have terrible kovaaks scores and be GM dps b/c the aim mechanics are very different between playing the actual game where you move around and aim trainers where you typically stand still.

fast improvement mostly comes from identifying and focusing on obvious gameplay mistakes and fixing those.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah also one of the biggest mistakes players make and is super easy to fix is focusing at all whatsoever on the mistakes of your teammates

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah it makes climbing much easier once you just focus on what you're doing to the best of your ability. When your teammates gently caress up it should only register as "hmm, how can I pull out this fight despite that"

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I've uninstalled this dumb game twice now and still keep coming back because I really like the game it's just the toxic people I don't like.

Turning off auto join text/voice chat in settings helps a lot, but I totally feel you on getting poo poo on because people don't know how to interpret the scoreboard.

The thing that's been bugging me the most is being stuck in bronze 5 because I have to rely on my team to actually pull off a win. It doesn't matter how well you play if you don't win, you don't advance. Why everyone doesn't start at gold or plat then get sorted from there is beyond me. Adjusting the base to start everyone at bronze 5 seems real dumb because that lumps newly ranked players into lobbies with gold's that don't know how to play the game beyond "shoot man's with bullets".

The standard response to this complaint is "just get better" or "win matches and eventually you will rank up" I can control my skill with practice, but I can't control my team staggering, or someone throwing, or someone playing orisa like widow because Stylosa said she was OP or whatever. The last time I played comp, I went 13 straight losses. I'm willing to accept my aim isn't great, and sometimes I make dumb plays, but I'm not terrible. I have a 57% win rate in QP, but I'm upside down on comp wins at a rate of double the losses. It seems like in QP, people just play better than they do in comp.

In my bronze lobbies I'm seeing mercy players using advanced movement techniques, and clowning on teams with more kills than their DPS. Meanwhile, my Rammatra tank is playing like a new Sigma player hanging way back and trying to poke through the shield from the back line at an orisa while the pharmercy combo is housing us from the sky, and Ash is sniping the support from across the map (hyperbolically).

I don't know, I guess I'm just bad and need to spend two hours a day in Kovaks training so I can be marginally less bad and live in silver forever?

Post a replay code. I’m sure that someone will help review it

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Very consistently the attitude I have seen among the best players in multiple completely competitive multiplayer games is that after every game they reflect on what they could have done better. They do this both in wins and losses. They focus almost exclusively on the things they did and could have done. This both leads to an overall far more positive attitude, as they are less likely to be frustrated at their teammates, but also leads to far greater and faster development of their own game, hence why it's a trait very common among the best in any game.

Literally just go over every game, wins and losses, and point out what you could have done better, and keep it in your mind constantly. You will improve.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just Ramattra after Ramattra in comp last night. Luckily, most of them weren't very good, but his speed boost in Nemesis form when he ults is just dumb. Kill that speed boost (just for the ult, not Nemesis form in general) and I think it'd be much more reasonable.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Hardly anyone plays Ram well. They just want to ult and hope that will carry them to victory. I totally agree that they should nerf Ram's ult and maybe boost his staff damage or something to compensate.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's just a flat 20% boost in Nemesis form; he doesn't go any faster on top of that during his ult since it just turns him into Nemesis. I would prefer his ult cost be increased and/or the radius reduced, since it's one of the quickest ults to charge in the game.

Then move some of that power to reducing Ravenous Vortex' cooldown by a couple seconds because that ability is fairly weak in comparison.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

novaSphere posted:

It's just a flat 20% boost in Nemesis form; he doesn't go any faster on top of that during his ult since it just turns him into Nemesis. I would prefer his ult cost be increased and/or the radius reduced, since it's one of the quickest ults to charge in the game.

Then move some of that power to reducing Ravenous Vortex' cooldown by a couple seconds because that ability is fairly weak in comparison.

I know it's a flat 20% boost when he ults and it's no faster than his normal Nemesis form, but when the only way to end the ult is to run the gently caress away, it can be difficult even with a speed boost Lucio to do so which is what I find the most aggravating part of it.

EDIT: Also let me go on the record as saying Shambali Monastery is a bad map. It's too big, and the spot where you need to bring the payload up a ramp, do a 180, and go up another ramp that has covered high ground right above the first portion of the ramp is a bullshit choke point that is very difficult to progress against a competent team.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 29, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like Ram. His nemesis form is great because it's a clear audio and visual indicator that the tank is going to push. Plus his kit is just really fun in general.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hes the only tank that can even compare to the sheer visceral joy of whooping supports with the rein hammer and its even funnier because then he turns into a little shrimpy nerd who shoots little pacman dots out of a wizard staff for a bit

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The Midniter posted:

EDIT: Also let me go on the record as saying Shambali Monastery is a bad map. It's too big, and the spot where you need to bring the payload up a ramp, do a 180, and go up another ramp that has covered high ground right above the first portion of the ramp is a bullshit choke point that is very difficult to progress against a competent team.

It feels like it was designed for 6v6.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reviewing your own replays or w/e is honestly not necessary unless you are having trouble identifying where you are obviously loving up. you can usually just ask yourself after every death how you hosed up or could have done more to contribute to the fight or bail out your teammates' mistakes.

you can just type in overwatch coaching vids in youtube and see examples of the process of identifying and fixing gameplay flaws and try to apply it to yourself.

the most common mistakes players make:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4013871&pagenumber=100&perpage=40#post527502462
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4013871&pagenumber=100&perpage=40#post527503206

you can usually just focus on one big mistake (e.g. terrible cover usage) at a time.

for novice player aiming tips, uh just make sure your mouse sensitivity is in the realm of sane (i.e. 15-40 cm/360).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I love all the push maps so take my opinion with a grain of salt but i think its shambala is good. I love these styles of maps that seem to really reward taking off angles. Its probably tedious in the higher ranks but nothing gets me more high on my sense of self worth like correctly predicting a dps popping up in that little hole at the end of point one and doming them with a sleep dart while we trundle past them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

toadee posted:

Very consistently the attitude I have seen among the best players in multiple completely competitive multiplayer games is that after every game they reflect on what they could have done better. They do this both in wins and losses. They focus almost exclusively on the things they did and could have done. This both leads to an overall far more positive attitude, as they are less likely to be frustrated at their teammates, but also leads to far greater and faster development of their own game, hence why it's a trait very common among the best in any game.

Literally just go over every game, wins and losses, and point out what you could have done better, and keep it in your mind constantly. You will improve.

this is the true dharma and once I adopted it my rank shot up.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I like shambali ok.

I didn’t like the new robot maps at first but now I do. They force a lot of action. Only complaint is the time spent running to the point sometimes.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Boy, there are definitely bad times to play this. When all the children and weekend parents are on for a bit of a gently caress around. That sinking feeling when you watch your whole team run to the enemy spawn door at the start.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
To be fair getting trapped completely in spawn on attack maps seems to be way more common lately, for me, sad to say.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
yeah no, in these games they usually die instantly and then are on the back foot for the entire rest of the unstoppable push as they trickle in

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I hate when my team tries to spawn camp for this very reason. What's even dumber is that they don't even realize that the reason why they get their rear end kicked is because the enemy team is grouped up. So they stagger in after the fact, and then lose the entire match that we should have won.

The solution is right there and they still can't see it.

Once you get high enough in mmr when players actually know how to play effectively, then it flips to you better not mis-hear that tracer behind you, or not know where widow is, because they won't miss, and you're domed before you even know what's happening.

It seems like there isn't a middle ground of decent players, with game sense. It's either the whole team is making dumb plays and can't hit poo poo, or everyone is a fps savant and clicks heads with impunity and hacker accuracy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A lot of it is when you have one complete dead weight, most people mentally check out, myself included.

I've had matches where my DPS is a soldier who at the end of round one has like, 3k damage, double the deaths of everyone else and is complaining in chat when every other non support in the match is pushing 10k and doing fine.

Way easier to just go "eh, bad game" and swap to a fun hero.

In other news, I managed to convince a few people that my junker queen is actually just fine if you try to stop playing the orisa gunline comp. I had to charge in and murder their supports a few times on my own but it convinced them, then whenever I ran into them for the rest of the night , even if I was on the other team they'd warn people about it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Nothing like losing a match when the other support and I each outheal the enemy supports combined when they have an unpocketed phara and we have two hitscans, one of which is pocketed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mystery Heroes continues to be the best mode. How are we going to deal with three tanks and two supports? Keep rolling the dice til we get something equally stupid!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, they stealthily un-nerfed Moira's teleport without mentioning it in the patch notes at all.
Good job Blizzard.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got Moira in Mystery Heroes and decided to try out DPS Moira and it was hilarious. I at one point had three people trying to chase me down as I kept flanking them and following them to spawn and they couldn't kill me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Moira is one of those characters like Pharah, Junkrat, Symmetra, etc that are countered simply by shooting them in the face and they suddenly become incredibly strong when the opponents have no aim.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Moira is one of those characters like Pharah, Junkrat, Symmetra, etc that are countered simply by shooting them in the face and they suddenly become incredibly strong when the opponents have no aim.

Yeah I'm only around gold/plat so I'm not facing people with great aim, and I'd never do it in comp because I feel bad not healing. But to gently caress around and just terrorize people in MH is hilarious.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

RIP the old auto targeting Symmetra who was basically Moira but with way more damage

https://i.imgur.com/RX8MBRP.mp4

She was simply too powerful, it was inevitable, she had to be nerfed...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

F.D. Signifier posted:

RIP the old auto targeting Symmetra who was basically Moira but with way more damage

Bring back old Symmetra. :colbert:

Seriously, can we have some more characters that focus on using skills other than aiming please?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

F.D. Signifier posted:

She was terrible. That ability was unfun to play against, though, so the hero was better off reworked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I absolutely hated playing and playing against old Symmetra but I completely love the current Symmetra, even though the other character was theoretically easier for a person like me with no aim to get utility out of.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Torb and sym reworks are so great I can't imagine going back

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Symmetra rework was done for the sake of same people that are currently crying that Moira is too OP.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

F.D. Signifier posted:

This was my favorite Sym by a mile. It was amazing to bait a Roadhog hook and block it with shield, then latch onto him until he died. I'm almost sure you could solo him in one hook cooldown.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I went cold turkey on playing Moira whatsoever and I swear my game has improved. She's a bad habit factory.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Lol ive thought the same thing myself and thats the perfect way to phrase it. Shes so effective against bad players so i use her in qp a lot but she has super short cooldowns so the urge to just use them asap is one of the worst habits you can get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
fuuuuuuck they have to nerf ramattra's ult somehow. Like give him a boost on something else in his kit, by all means. The ult is dumb as gently caress, it's a guaranteed team fight win. If you say "no it isn't" that tells me a lot about the teams that you're up against.