Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I tested positive for COVID, so time for a new fortress. This one is called Plaguehaunts :iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I just noticed dead male dwarves are all marked as gelded. That's an interesting funeral rite

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

GruntyThrst posted:

I just noticed dead male dwarves are all marked as gelded. That's an interesting funeral rite

Considering the amount of undead in DF it is a very understandable belief and precaution.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Valtonen posted:

Considering the amount of undead in DF it is a very understandable belief and precaution.

https://i.imgur.com/jTm8LOi.mp4

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Gnoman posted:

If you engrave slabs, it will tell you the cause of death.

Thank you! They all "died peacefully" so I guess old age. Weird that it happened all at the same time, maybe a bug? Like 20 turkeys all died on the same day as well.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

TastyAvocado posted:

Thank you! They all "died peacefully" so I guess old age. Weird that it happened all at the same time, maybe a bug? Like 20 turkeys all died on the same day as well.

I've noticed that if someone drops dead right after a seasonal change it's almost always old age unless something else was going on. I think that's when the game does stuff like age/legends calculations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What the gently caress is my captain of the guard doing with his food? :psyduck:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is probably the least efficient way to fill a cistern for a well. Three dwarves constantly ping-ponging from damp wall to damp wall, so I can fill a tunnel below that thing to feed the actual cistern.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

johnny park posted:

What the gently caress is my captain of the guard doing with his food? :psyduck:
Do you use backpacks for your squads? This is apparently a common bug where militia dwarves just drop their food whenever they go on or off duty, and since it's claimed as "theirs", nobody cleans it up.
It's the reason I've stopped making backpacks for my militia dwarves at all, as you end up getting bedrooms full of rotting food.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
There's definitely an issue with militia dropping food. One thing that can reduce it (and you should do anyway) is either make it so that your militia is constantly training, or if you're doing staggered training, switch all the "off duty" months with "no orders" months, then they won't change their outfit. This still didn't completely work for me and I still had one guy who would drop food so I just trashed all of my backpacks, that worked and there doesn't seem to be any downside of them not having backpacks, even for missions.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So some of my dwarves are steadily getting more upset. I check their needs and its stuff like "be with family/be extravagant/craft something". I've made a bunch of shell amulets/accessories for dwarves to wear, but how do I take care of the other ones?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The militia dropping food makes sense because they also love to drop their equipment on the ground as soon as they're off duty, including in the middle of caverns after killing a forgotten beast or outside after fighting goblins

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
First well going exactly as expected.

Yep, that lever is the one that closes the flow of water. In hindsight, it should have been somewhere else.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 29, 2022

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

johnny park posted:

Draft a captain that is not a goon?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Zeruel posted:

So some of my dwarves are steadily getting more upset. I check their needs and its stuff like "be with family/be extravagant/craft something". I've made a bunch of shell amulets/accessories for dwarves to wear, but how do I take care of the other ones?

For the crafting you could set the person as the master of a workshop then order something at the workshop. For the be with family thing there's not much you can do with it I think, you could go their labor menu and hit the green hammer to turn off unspecific labor for them so they have more free time, but I've never found this to help much.

That said, I think worrying too much about the specific needs is not necessarily the way to go, the idea is dwarves generate positive and negative thoughts and memories, and while they'll occasionally have negative thoughts grumbling about how they miss their family, the best way to get them happy is to flood them with as many positive thoughts as you can.

So give them an expensive bedroom, an expensive dining hall/tavern, expensive temples, access to expensive food, and really importantly, if you can, mist generators. Those little guys love mist, they go loving nuts for it.

I'm not an expert but I have a fort with 175 dwarves and about 150 of them are in the top two happiness categories and I only have about 5 in the bottom 3, and this is despite never once worrying about ever fulfilling a specific dwarf's needs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So there's a random human "bard" in my tavern with a blinking name, which usually means they're interesting in some way.
However, they have very middling bard skills, novice at most, so I went through and checked some more of their stats, and apparently this guy has like 35 registered kills all over the world?

Any way I can find out who this guy is? He's obviously not here to perform.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
You can check out his social skills, especially for high level "liar". It's possible he's using a pseudonym and fake class, if he is you could interrogate him for whatever open crime (I don't know if there is any way to interrogate if there aren't any open crimes, but if there are you can just interrogate whoever) and he will likely confess his whole life story to you.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Go to the Justice screen and try to interrogate him for some random crime.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

So there's a random human "bard" in my tavern with a blinking name, which usually means they're interesting in some way.
However, they have very middling bard skills, novice at most, so I went through and checked some more of their stats, and apparently this guy has like 35 registered kills all over the world?

I just got a legendary human wanting residence. Having no way to look at his skills I accepted. He is a legendary dyer and competent maceman.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Unfortunately, I didn't have any open crimes at the moment, and he decided to leave without any issues, so I guess I'll see if I see him again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a way to specify which materials are available for automatic material selection? I carelessly set my dwarves to build a roof and then discovered it was built entirely of steel and silver. Like obviously I can just tear it down and manually select next time but it'll be a pain to manually select materials for every single wall/floor/etc

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you build a stockpile with the appropriate materials near the building site you should be able to use the "use nearest". Also you can click "all" on the manual materials selection.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Unfortunately, I didn't have any open crimes at the moment, and he decided to leave without any issues, so I guess I'll see if I see him again.

Not if he was using a pseudonym, he'll probably be back with a new one! The most common type of crime I've seen like this is he just tricked one of your dwarves into trying to steal an artifact for him. At some point he'll be back with a new name, the dwarf conspirator will grab it and run off to deliver it to him at the edge of the map.

It also might be nothing to be fair.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there a way to specify which materials are available for automatic material selection? I carelessly set my dwarves to build a roof and then discovered it was built entirely of steel and silver. Like obviously I can just tear it down and manually select next time but it'll be a pain to manually select materials for every single wall/floor/etc

When you select material, you can build out a section with the "select material after" option, then hit "all" to quickly make them all the same material, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to save the material you used last so if there's a bunch of wall sections you have to select the material for each.

One of the things that I find super annoying with building in this game is how insanely dumb the dwarves are about the order of building things. There doesn't seem to be any way to assign building priority so you have to carefully place down all the squares that could possibly get blocked in first, wait for them to be finished, then fill in the rest. It's most noticeable when filling in a small path you dug out. Lets say you dug a short 1x5 path out in order to pass power down an axle, now you want to fill it in. You have to do it one at a time and wait until it's done before placing the next one! I tried doing all five at once and three genius dwarves managed to Cask of Amontillado themselves.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

THAT'S what the blinking name means??

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

this year's caravan arrived and my broker decided that it'd be funny to get the poo poo kicked out of her by a child on the way to the depot

how do you even get owned this hard by a kid

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Blinking name means they're legendary at something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

johnny park posted:

THAT'S what the blinking name means??

Mostly it just signifies that they've got legendary in a skill, but sometimes it seems to be other reasons, like if they're carrying a legendary artifact.

Edit: I did in fact check all skills of the bard I was talking about earlier, he did not have legendary in any of them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there any secret to good military engagements or does it mostly come down to stats and numbers? I lost most of a unit to a pretty small siege and it is what it is, but I’m curious what could have been done better. I probably should have let them come through the entrance and deal with traps but that’s kind of boring.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Warbird posted:

Is there any secret to good military engagements or does it mostly come down to stats and numbers? I lost most of a unit to a pretty small siege and it is what it is, but I’m curious what could have been done better. I probably should have let them come through the entrance and deal with traps but that’s kind of boring.

Equipment material/quality (especially steel (or adamantium)) and combat skills are huge force multipliers, but dwarves can eventually get overwhelmed by sheer numbers of inferior combatants, as long as they're decently dangerous (i.e. armed goblins, not crundles). There's probably a potential element of tactics to it, but commanding your dwarfs is imprecise and finnicky enough that strategies other than "hide behind traps" or "charge your army into their army" don't really feel worth it.

If the enemy has 20 archers/marksmen try to get them to come around a corner or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hbag posted:

this year's caravan arrived and my broker decided that it'd be funny to get the poo poo kicked out of her by a child on the way to the depot

how do you even get owned this hard by a kid

I've had naked wrestlers go up against ogres and come out better than this

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I understand there is no ocean travel at all in this game.

If I embark on an island, am I prevented from raiding civilizations on the mainland?

e: no. "Inaccessible mission location"

All You Can Eat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 29, 2022

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

How effective are bronze/iron weapon traps 😡 and equipment compared to steel? I've been digging around and I thought I embarked near Flux but I haven't found any.

What is the ideal no xp armor xp set?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Warbird posted:

There's strategy, but not really tactics. Making sure your guys are prepped with steel and a good mix of weapons (different weapons work better against different enemies; maces and hammers vs undead, spears and marksdwarves vs beasts, axes vs normal humanoids, etc.).

Really big engagements though you want to win with traps or engineering (such as lava or water traps).

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Can someone with access to the GPT-3 text generator please feed it the description of The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control and see what it comes up with? Or any books, I suppose, but that one most of all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's strategy, but not really tactics. Making sure your guys are prepped with steel and a good mix of weapons (different weapons work better against different enemies; maces and hammers vs undead, spears and marksdwarves vs beasts, axes vs normal humanoids, etc.).

Really big engagements though you want to win with traps or engineering (such as lava or water traps).

Thanks to both of you. I suspect most of the problem was that I had everyone kitted out in iron gear and weapons as that’s what I had to use at the time. I need to sit down and read up on what’s needed for steel, I suspect I have what I need but I’ve never really messed with metals and so on in all my years doing this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Uuuuuuuh...

Edit:

Edit2:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 29, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Uuuuuuuh...

gotta lay your eggs somewhere, i guess

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've had naked wrestlers go up against ogres and come out better than this

usually i just ignore kids having tantrums cos the worst they usually do is maybe knock a couple teeth out but jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there a way to get dwarves to write books aside from manuals? I know that, in worldgen, people can write novels, poems, guides to locations, they can write down songs or instructions for dance forms, biographies, atlases, dictionaries, all kinds of stuff, and they can end up in your fortress and you can trade or raid for them, but your assigned scholars never seem to write anything except academic texts. If I assign a poet as a scholar will they write poetry?

It doesn't really matter in gameplay terms, of course, but I am curious.