Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I just like how funny a lot of the writing is. Like how bloody baron got his moniker because some red dye fell into a river and people thought it was blood. He has a really funny interaction with Geralt about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they change the way that points if interest appear on your map? I always thought that local POIs only appeared after you checked a village noticeboard.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Also, this game still looks amazing?? I just finished White Orchard and i'm already getting way too involved in the new photo mode. Here's a few shots I took:

Geralt's ~literal~ dream vacation

Never taken a pan contract before...

Place of Power...I should draw from it :geno:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

My 5700x arrived but forgot I had no cooling paste left.

I'll post an update about the perf uplift from 3700x to 5700x, maybe someone will find it useful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mikojan posted:

My 5700x arrived but forgot I had no cooling paste left.

I'll post an update about the perf uplift from 3700x to 5700x, maybe someone will find it useful.

Pity CDPR didn’t add a benchmark.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wiltsghost posted:

I just like how funny a lot of the writing is. Like how bloody baron got his moniker because some red dye fell into a river and people thought it was blood. He has a really funny interaction with Geralt about that.

Geralt: "Really got an imp problem? Or is that just an imp-erfection on the notice?"

Merchant: ???

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

deadpan posted:

Only surprising change in the new patch was the fisheye effect for Witcher senses defaulting to off in the settings. I turned that right back on; what kind of sicko doesn't want the weird lensing when chasing stuff in Witcher vision?

It's me. I'm the sicko.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've heard folks tout the Polish dub of the game but I just like the English version better

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

If you like dadbod you can rock the Griffin set all game, just upgrade it. I think the final upgrades look stellar.

I'll recommend the Griffin Armor Techniques generic one-point skill again if you haven't checked it out. It gives like +20% stamina regen or something which lets you cast even more Signs.

I do like the Griffin Armor. In addition to its gameplay benefits, it has the really helpful effect of removing the mental overhead that comes from the truckload of different armor the game dumps on you. I can now say "NO, I'M USING THIS ONE" whenever the game gives me more armor and just stash it to sell or dismantle. Don't even need to look at the stats. The position has been filled, thank you. :colbert:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've been running with the Griffin armor through its first upgrade, but it's just about Wolf time and I doubt I'll look back after that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shard posted:

I've heard folks tout the Polish dub of the game but I just like the English version better

All of the different audio tracks are exceptional but the English and Polish ones are the standouts. The amount of regional accents in English gives the game opportunities to play with language where it otherwise can't. There's one quest involving an undercover Nilfgaardian spy and when Geralt figures it out she drops her fake accent for her natural accent and it's a seamless transition that is super cool.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Spergatory posted:

I do like the Griffin Armor. In addition to its gameplay benefits, it has the really helpful effect of removing the mental overhead that comes from the truckload of different armor the game dumps on you. I can now say "NO, I'M USING THIS ONE" whenever the game gives me more armor and just stash it to sell or dismantle. Don't even need to look at the stats. The position has been filled, thank you. :colbert:

Don't accidentally throw away the armor that negates poison damage, or the one that negates fire damage. They can be useful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For me, as a Polish speaker, it’s Geralt that’s the main draw to the Polish version. I’d say overall I prefer the English dub, but Cockle is a step down imho.

With the Witcher 1, otoh, the two dubs (and scripts!) are night and day.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm assuming the localization teams had fun with puns in various places? The imp-erfection example is English specific obviously

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ShakeZula posted:

Interesting. I've literally never seen that ending at all, so it might be worth doing if only for the new experience. Might save it for a true "everybody dies/leaves Geralt" run at some point though - betray Roche, don't help the mages escape, don't help either of Crach's kids, let Keira go to Radovid, let Lambert die in the battle, all of it. I've already made that impossible this time around by going for the Recruit Everybody trophy.

yeah and none of those feel like things geralt would do. like to get the WORST ENDING, you actually have to work at it and try to be the worst/chud dad.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The line "If I wanted to see white mice I'd just get drunk" always made me laugh because I thought it was just Geralt being weird, but apparently it's an Eastern European expression that we don't have in the US (or if we do I've never heard it).

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Glad they had some throwaway dialogue about Radovid being dead in HoS because people keep mentioning him and I keep yelling "he's dead!" at the TV

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Hobo Clown posted:

Geralt: "Really got an imp problem? Or is that just an imp-erfection on the notice?"

Merchant: ???

Name's Geralt of Rivia. I'm a dad joke teller.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Weird change I just noticed: they seemed to have capped skills at 3 points that used to have 5, so instead of dumping 5 points into fast attacks right off the bat I just have 2 extra points hanging around while I wait to unlock another ability slot. Not a terrible change to make people diversify a little but there are so few slots it seems like you have to be even more picky about not dumping points into marginally useful RP stuff like Axii mind tricks/etc

I wonder if this is gonna mess up all the OP alchemy builds from back when, or if the extra 2 points become available later?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I was wondering where the 20 extra points came from in the old save I reloaded. Got one of the last three achievements I was missing (all skills in a tree). Now I just have to finish the game on death march.

Having a hell of a time finding which save is my last one - I'd reloaded to get different endings in Blood and Wine, and have access to New Game+, but I just can't find a 'finished' save. Guess I'll push through and finish the quests I have lined up and then prep that save for the deathmarch NG+.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Wolfsheim posted:

Weird change I just noticed: they seemed to have capped skills at 3 points that used to have 5, so instead of dumping 5 points into fast attacks right off the bat I just have 2 extra points hanging around while I wait to unlock another ability slot. Not a terrible change to make people diversify a little but there are so few slots it seems like you have to be even more picky about not dumping points into marginally useful RP stuff like Axii mind tricks/etc

I wonder if this is gonna mess up all the OP alchemy builds from back when, or if the extra 2 points become available later?

I was wondering about that ! I'd been looking at cool builds online on account of being lazy, and they all had 5/5s instead of 3/3s in their skills ; I'd assumed it was an NG+ thing (I don't loving 'member how it used to be, it was 10 years ago !)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hobo Clown posted:

The line "If I wanted to see white mice I'd just get drunk" always made me laugh because I thought it was just Geralt being weird, but apparently it's an Eastern European expression that we don't have in the US (or if we do I've never heard it).

You have a very similar one about seeing pink elephants though

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

yeah, i assumed it was something like that. after watching alot of videos done by super bunny hop on the witcher and just other videos in general, so i assume alot of the "weird" sounding stuff is just polish/eastern europian cultural things i dont know about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHsmiFJqJc&t

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, saw that when I looked it up. I've never heard anyone use it in real life, though I guess it explains that scene from Dumbo and my early childhood ideas of what drinking is like

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've reached the point where I can set enemies on fire and have my stamina fully regenerate before they finish :supaburn:ing. I barely even have to use my sword anymore and it's glorious.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
have you tried the Yrden lightning turret yet

it's super nice against big monsters and wraith types

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

You know in all my time with this game I've never really tried out the alternative versions of any of the signs. Maybe I'll give them a shot this time

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
One of the best things about the yrden lightning turret is that it also shoots down projectiles. No more getting webbed by arachnomorphs or pincushioned by crossbow bolts.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I keep wanting to do mage Geralt but it seems like it'd be a real pain for the first six or so levels (and who knows how painful with the ability point cap changing). Maybe worth trying on NG+...

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
the first five or six levels are painful anyway, it's not like you have any specialization at all at low levels. sounds like that was Spergatory's struggle, they didn't enjoy combat until they found some cool toys that made it tolerable

just do NG+ so you have all your cool toys and Freezing Aaard everything

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’ve installed a mod that deflates the value of crowns by lowering most buying and selling costs by 75% but keeps rewards the same so each crown is worth more.

It makes the little quest rewards feel valuable and my wealth more earned rather than from selling a bunch of swords I found.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 29, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is it just me or does the Heart of Stone mobs have ridiculous amounts of health? I don't remember regular lvl 33 Fallen Knights being as tanky as Eredin.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is there a way to tell Geralt to stop using the harder-to-get alcohols to refill his potions? I got Dwarven Spirit for days and he keeps emptying out the Alcohest

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MikeC posted:

Is it just me or does the Heart of Stone mobs have ridiculous amounts of health? I don't remember regular lvl 33 Fallen Knights being as tanky as Eredin.

I noticed the same thing except this is my first play so I assumed it is normal. Everything has a ton of vitality.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hobo Clown posted:

Is there a way to tell Geralt to stop using the harder-to-get alcohols to refill his potions? I got Dwarven Spirit for days and he keeps emptying out the Alcohest

Only on PC and only if you mod it in.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

But then again you can use blizzard/aard and kill every knight with one shot and take no damage

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yrden lightning turret is great. Especially since my quick stamina refill means I can just plop one down and be back in the safety of my active Quen in no time. I just wrapped things up in Scotland Skellige and got a great deal of kicks out of watching my monster zapper bzzt Sirens out of the air. If there's no others in range, it'll actually just keep zapping the same one whenever it tries to get up, stunlocking it to death.

What other alternate sign forms are worth investing in? I tried messing with Puppet, but it just doesn't last long enough to be worth the time it takes to cast it. Alt Igni just seems like a novelty that doesn't do anything the base sign can't do. Alt Aard could be useful if you're surrounded, but if you're surrounded, you've screwed up already.

I'm thinking I might just invest my remaining points into increasing the range of Aard, and then maybe the thing that grants it damage.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Aard Sweep has saved my bacon a bunch of times and igni flamethrower is just cool as poo poo. Utility? I have no idea, but I can shoot fire from my palm so I don't care.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’ve installed a mod that deflates the value of crowns by lowering most buying and selling costs by 75% but keeps rewards the same so each crown is worth more.

It makes the little quest rewards feel valuable and my wealth more earned rather than from selling a bunch of swords I found.

What mod is this? Haven't found a mod yet that feels balance wrt the economy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

IIRC Alcohest is what it is supposed to use, it just has a qol mercy thing of using other booze if you are out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Alt Igni can set shields on fire and make the carriers drop them IIRC.