Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Like, I'm sorry, but if Summer Moore is a famous author in this hellscape, how would it escape everyone's attention that her father was a published writer who wrote about the famous Summer Moore's goddamn mother? The book that inspired a loving Oscar-winning film? Was it so bad that it had to be memory-holed, like a Key and Peele sketch?

Also this is her granddaughter buying this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Ted buddy you know you can just take the poster though, right?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

Good grief, this this this, definitely. If he leaves it, he's just making more work for his poor mom. If he takes it, he has a tangible memory of the place he's been whinging about never coming back to again.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's not just the poster, and he already went through the room to grab stuff to take back iirc and Sally had to stop him from taking everything because they do not have the room.

I am surprised he didn't take the poster specifically, but there should be other stuff

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

coronatae posted:

A commenter on GoComics found it and Georgia Dunn posted it to the BCN facebook page:

https://youtu.be/01hmev-JbQc
I should probably hunt down an old Louie Anderson stand-up gig. He was good and it's been a long time.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Ted better take that loving poster.

Edit: I see the thread is in agreement on this issue.

EasyEW posted:

One Last OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU For The Road

"What was forgotten is now brought back anew! I, Lisa's Ghost, have risen again!"

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Phantom, you loving idiot.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 28, 2022

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EasyEW posted:

i'll give him some credit if he remembers enough and they use the time machine to go back and make the don't get on the 9/11 plane les!!! call but he's real hosed at knowing his own continuity so

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

I thought the dialog was hosed up at first, but it turns out these two just look exactly alike

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 26, 1954)

I love the detail in the second (third?) panel of Aleta covertly wrangling the twins.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

threcond

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This is yesterday's Pickles (which I guess would technically be Cucumbers :dadjoke:).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Murdstone posted:

This is yesterday's Pickles (which I guess would technically be Cucumbers :dadjoke:).

Whoops. Thought it looked familiar

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murdstone posted:

that's tomorrow's Pickles

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The end of Funky Winkerbean certainly isn’t as cringe as the Ginchrist Nancy ending but it is very nearly unreadable due to the thick cloud of smugness covering every panel.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

coming back to the comic strip thread for the first time since 2018 to say gently caress funky winkerbean

goddamn

that said, this is the second time (after social media, which tipped me off to funky going away) I've seen somebody say that time travelers are happening, but I've read over the last week of strips, and they just look like far-future descendents, what about this is time travel? is it something from an earlier plot arc?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

A week or so back some lady had an extended interview with a school janitor who claims to be a time traveler. Dunno what to tell ya. It’s dumb.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That might have been "just a dream".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EasyEW posted:

im howling laughing

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

just cackling

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What emotion is he trying to elicit with this coda?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

goatface posted:

Gratitude that this garbage strip is finally over? And a shared social commitment to never let it be revived?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

goatface posted:

The audience is Batiuk, so I'd put my money on self-satisfaction.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

That might have been "just a dream".

He literally did, "It was all just a dream... OR WAS IT???"

And now that we're watching her grandkid from the future finding her extra special book, that indicates the time travel was real

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Confirming that the time travel is real is pretty messed up as a story teller.

Lisa died of preventable cancer. They mixed up her test results for treatment at the hospital, allowing her cancer to progress to irreversible. Now I know we joke about Les being inhumanly weird about it but I bet he would've preferred his wife living another 40-60 years, to say nothing of their daughter.

But whatever, the Janitor was apparently simultaneously a magical, insanely persuasive and capable man who could convince entire hospital staffs, communities and even awkward teenagers to move when necessary for minor contrivances instead of delivering info that would prevent major tragedy AND so bizarrely incompetent he let his time travel device be stolen by a child and then vanish from him, never daring to... ask the child, or burglarize her house or something. Batiuk seems completely oblivious to what he's done and wouldn't even imagine an interesting story coming of it(what if Summer started yelling at him about this stuff or we got an actual "the needs of the timeline come before our personal desires", a time-travel story classic), and instead of five weeks of a Funky story that might be pleasing to the fans as a capstone of this setting, we get a crapstone of insanely absurd fart huffing.

Of course I guess for those of us looking at Funky from the outside and going from things like One Weird Pizzaria Trick, Ice Agents Hate It! to Les Moore Wins Oscar For Best Actress to Two Old Men Push Woman Out Of The Story In Story About Industry Sexism in the last two years, well, this is just business as normal. You wouldn't expect a dog to not eat an unguarded steak and you can't expect Batiuk to grow some self-awareness now. Goodbye Funky, ask the syndicates to try not to revive an old IP on the way out.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He wants it to be 2007 again so loving bad. Lisa's story arc filled his ego like it was the Hindenburg and he's been trying to reach that high again, except I don't think he understood why it affected people or how to use his characters like that again, especially with the timeskip, so he settled for jacking off about it and Silver Age comics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Schwarzwald posted:

The audience is Batiuk, so I'd put my money on self-satisfaction.

This whole ending has had real strong "masturbating while maintaning eye contact" vibe to it.

Selachian posted:

Bonus Comic! I know absolutely nothing about this one, other than it looks kinda like a knockoff Nancy, but the final panel caught my eye.

Honeybelle 6/8/51

I got Perry Bible Fellowship vibes.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Good Listener posted:

Was it illegal for women to turn down baseball related proposals back in the day cuz Maggie you really had no reason to actually marry him if you didn't want to. Other than I guess your pain in the rear end mom?

as far as i'm aware, arranged marriages were common practice in korea well into the latter half of last century so the mom might well have forced her hand

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

A none-hack with a smudge of self awareness would use this last victory lap before the end to make fun of some of the more insane plotlines of recent years.

Remember when token Muslim character got yeeted by ICE in a convoluted trap set up by them, only for her to be released after the main characters call Bill Clinton to pull some strings? Capping it off with the ICE fascists coming over to the pizza place for some totally rockin’ slices.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Funky Winkerbean is, ultimately, a comic strip occupied with asserting its own importance.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

See Below For Pithy Post Header

If You Guessed That The QR Code Leads To The Kevin & Kell Website, Congrats On Winning Today's No-Prize

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hopping back a bit, but...

If I'm not mistaken, there aren't any branches of the Primates in this setting, except for the otherworldly/fictional/departed Humans, and lemurs (which I think got in because of a subscription OC). There are no apes, thaks to the time fuckery of the Birdluminati.

What the hell is Tarzan?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Darthemed posted:

Good grief, this this this, definitely. If he leaves it, he's just making more work for his poor mom. If he takes it, he has a tangible memory of the place he's been whinging about never coming back to again.

rannum posted:

It's not just the poster, and he already went through the room to grab stuff to take back iirc and Sally had to stop him from taking everything because they do not have the room.

I am surprised he didn't take the poster specifically, but there should be other stuff

Murdstone posted:

Ted better take that loving poster.

Edit: I see the thread is in agreement on this issue.

I am 90% sure that poster is glued to the wall and resisted several attempts to remove it the first time Ted went home to visit his parents.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which (among other things) the Major attempts to pull rank. (April 5-7, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (June 14-16, 1920)

Dok's "Superior Firepower" Duck (July 4, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 7-9, 1937)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Goodbye, Funky Winkerbean, and don't let the cancer hit you on the way out.

I can only hope Batiuk won't pull a Lynn Johnston nine months down the road and announce a New Reboot. Please let's keep 2023 a good year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Crankshaft will slowly get bleaker as the Funky characters filter in and take over, like how Outland shifted back into being Bloom County after eight months.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 11, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 11-12, 1992)

Big Nate

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Take-Over

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 11-12, 1992)

I actually did this when I was Calvin's age (although I didn't see the strip until years later). I have a scar on my scalp to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Digging the Crimestoppers-ified "always cover your rear end" tip.

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights