Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hello fellow iPhone users I have finally joined your ranks please send me your hottest protips like what's my best option for freeing my password vault from Google's deathgrips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Keychain lets you upload the csv files if you want to move to that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bagmonkey posted:

Hello fellow iPhone users I have finally joined your ranks please send me your hottest protips like what's my best option for freeing my password vault from Google's deathgrips?

Activate dark mode for everything, buy Paprika 3, and TruTone is awesome. Also, set your phone to keep the originals for your photos unless you have a batshit large amount.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Blech, true tone makes my screen look like it got pissed on.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there an easy shortcut to delete all attached pics/videos from text messages? I’m pretty sure that’s taking up the majority of my iCloud space (since I’ve been backing up texts and not much else). I guess the fallback option is to sort conversations by size and go from there, but wondering if there’s something quicker.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Blech, true tone makes my screen look like it got pissed on.

I think you're thinking of night shift.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bagmonkey posted:

iCloud+ 50GB storage account is only 99 cents a month, if you want more cloud storage.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bagmonkey posted:

I like 1Password since I can use it everywhere

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minidust posted:

Is there an easy shortcut to delete all attached pics/videos from text messages? I’m pretty sure that’s taking up the majority of my iCloud space (since I’ve been backing up texts and not much else). I guess the fallback option is to sort conversations by size and go from there, but wondering if there’s something quicker.

Not a single button cleanup, but in Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage there's an attachments cleanup option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

14 Pro Owners: How is the Dynamic Island? Meaningful UI improvement? Just kinda cool? Annoying?

I think it’s great. That said, I don’t use it much. I think it’s just a better visual and use of notifications.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
TrueTone only ever seems to tint the screen warmer. It does not make the screen cooler to match daylight. I don’t like it. Also since I edit a lot of photos on the phone I want the screen colors to be consistent. This also might be my OCD talking but I swear TrueTone results in choppier visuals.

My tip for new iPhone users is to turn off Background App Refresh. It doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference in app performance but it does use more battery when enabled.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So far I'm absolutely loving the experience, it just feels like people designed a phone for people to use without constantly wanting to throw it in a lake, only sometimes wanting to!

One question I poked at Google about but don't trust the search results: Is there any way to do iMessage via Windows? I'm on a Windows PC 8+ hours of the day for work and posting sometimes and previously just used Messages for Web. Is there an iMessage equivalent for Chrome/web or a way to make that work?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

So far I'm absolutely loving the experience, it just feels like people designed a phone for people to use without constantly wanting to throw it in a lake, only sometimes wanting to!

One question I poked at Google about but don't trust the search results: Is there any way to do iMessage via Windows? I'm on a Windows PC 8+ hours of the day for work and posting sometimes and previously just used Messages for Web. Is there an iMessage equivalent for Chrome/web or a way to make that work?

There are ways to run an iOS emulator on your windows PC that'll let you then run iMessage. It all seems kind of sketchy janky grey area stuff but I think it is doable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My tip for new iPhone users is to turn off Background App Refresh. It doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference in app performance but it does use more battery when enabled.

My tip is don’t do this, you don’t need to janitor your phone. Just use it like a normal person.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

My tip is don’t do this, you don’t need to janitor your phone. Just use it like a normal person.

Battery's kinda small on the 13 mini so definitely do the background app refresh thing with that one as it really helps the phone get through the day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Probably worth disabling on an app-by-app basis. I turned it off and some apps I didn’t care if they were updated when I opened them, but it was annoying that Overcast didn’t have podcasts downloaded automatically.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Jesus Christ, buying ancillary gadgets on Amazon et al is a goddamn pain in the rear end. I'm in for a power bank for my iPhone and maybe iPad, for some pretty long train rides in February. So I figured I'd check Amazon for power banks.

I can't decide whether I should buy one from brand Trswyop, or from brand Pxwaxpy, or from brand Enerwow.

I mean, it's obviously going to be Anker or Belkin, but whenever I search for some gadgets, I'm always getting flooded with that sort of poo poo first. I mean, these items may be workable, but brands that were created by slapping a flat hand onto a QWERTY keyboard don't inspire confidence. Same happened when looking for a rugged case. It took quite some scrolling until brands like Spigen et al turned up. The hell.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 29, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Amazon is a dumpster fire, 75% of the results on the first page are all paid placements. It's basically alibaba but your information goes to Bezos instead of the Chinese government.

But I don't know of any better place to buy stuff online.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Amazon is a dumpster fire, 75% of the results on the first page are all paid placements. It's basically alibaba but your information goes to Bezos instead of the Chinese government.

Best Buy

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Battery's kinda small on the 13 mini so definitely do the background app refresh thing with that one as it really helps the phone get through the day.

I turned off background refresh and set email to only fetch every 15 minutes and the standby time on my mini is unreal. By far the best thing about coming to iPhone from Android since my old Pixel would drain just sitting there doing nothing at all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Didn't there used to bea setting where you could input how much data you had per month to monitor your usage rates?
I can't find it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

My tip is to learn the basic functions and settings of your phone, especially things that take 10 seconds to toggle off and have a noticeable benefit to turning off, and not be a typical Apple fanboy that refuses to learn how their device works.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bagmonkey posted:

Pro tip: Even if you don't consider yourself disabled, take a look through the Accessibility settings. There's QoL stuff for everybody and some power user gems in there.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Do you need platform/browser agnosticism with your passwords? Are you willing to spend money? 1Password is the gold standard, works on every browser, platform, and device out there, and is quick to adopt OS-specific APIs and new technologies like passkeys. It has an annual fee, which rubs people the wrong way, but they're one of the few companies actually doing external audits with little to no issues with the security with their vaults. I have mine setup with a YubiKey and require a 2fa code using my Keychain to acces my vault on any new device. I also let 1Password auto-generate my password and get into the habit of creating a login with 1Password before signing up for a service.

I've been using it for 5 years now after dabbling with free options, and found myself more than happy paying for it - they integrate well with Touch ID on my MacBook, and I love that I can unlock my vault with my Apple Watch as well. They're also really good about adding vault templates - I use it to store everything - personal documents, receipts, router logins, samba share info, tax records, and more. I used to recommend LastPass to friends, but they're currently dealing with a huge securiy breach right now, which is troubling

There's a great rundown of every password manager over on Reddit that's worth a read.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 29, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I think you're thinking of night shift.

Nope. I use night shift all the time but True Tone just turns my screen a warm pee color whenever it’s on. It’s really gross.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nope. I use night shift all the time but True Tone just turns my screen a warm pee color whenever it’s on. It’s really gross.

The world is shaded in piss from the sun.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TACD posted:

Pro tip: Even if you don't consider yourself disabled, take a look through the Accessibility settings. There's QoL stuff for everybody and some power user gems in there.

I highly recommend Reduce White Point if you do any phone work in the dark. It effectively adds another brightness control that can bring you much closer to zero. I use it when I’m in bed so that I can have the minimum possible amount of light in my face as I’m trying to relax.

e: You can control this via Siri with “enable/disable reduce white point”, for maximum convenience.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

xzzy posted:

Is Monoprice still a thing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
1 password is the truth , can’t recommend it enough.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dancing Peasant posted:

Is Monoprice still a thing?

I ordered a bunch of cables from them around the time I knew I was getting my new phone and the quality is pretty dang good. They have warranties, are pretty responsive and I have a few IT friends who still use Monoprice for smaller sized shops

Price wise, I just looked through Best Buy and Target and Target has some good deals right now, Best Buy had good selection but alright prices. I'm gonna keep poking around but honestly Target + Monoprice is looking like the best option for a handful of stuff

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

1 password is the truth , can’t recommend it enough.

And today they post an article about how bad the last pass method of encryption was. https://blog.1password.com/not-in-a-million-years/

I’m dreading when they’re inevitably hacked and retract all statements they previously made.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They have a blog post on that too!

https://blog.1password.com/what-if-1password-gets-hacked

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I had an account with LastPast at the beginning of the pandemic but shut it down because honestly it was way worse than advertised. I had friends who recommended it and it was just a lovely, buggy mess that was a total loving pain. Glad that also means my data's probably out there!

Gonna definitely give 1Password now, and update a handful of the more important passwords as I port over. Thanks everyone!!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

how is it that apple won't let you convert a "live" photo into a static photo? you can turn off live but that just makes it so it's not animated.

i took a buncha photos on my trip and i guess i had live turned on but i just ignored it cause i assumed i could just save one photo and convert it to a jpeg or heic but there's no option to do so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

how is it that apple won't let you convert a "live" photo into a static photo? you can turn off live but that just makes it so it's not animated.

i took a buncha photos on my trip and i guess i had live turned on but i just ignored it cause i assumed i could just save one photo and convert it to a jpeg or heic but there's no option to do so.

Click the three dots on the top right of the photo and choose Duplicate. You’ll get an option to make a copy as a still photo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

and not be a typical Apple fanboy that refuses to learn how their device works.

What the hell does this mean lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FCKGW posted:

Click the three dots on the top right of the photo and choose Duplicate. You’ll get an option to make a copy as a still photo.

oh good there is a way! thanks!

but now its tripping up my ocd by having the copy show up next to the live photo in the library but showing up as the latest photo in the most recent folder. :psyduck:

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 30, 2022

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Strong Sauce posted:

oh good there is a way! thanks!

but now its tripping up my ocd by having the copy show up next to the live photo in the library but showing up as the latest photo in the most recent folder. :psyduck:

You can also Edit it, go to the Live Photo section and toggle it off from there. Doesn’t save any data, though, if that’s your aim.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

What the hell does this mean lol

A cliche of Apple worshippers is to not change or complain about anything in their devices because "Apple wanted it that way and Apple knows best". There is no benefit to Background App Refresh. The apps refresh any time you launch or relaunch them anyway whether the setting is on or off. Turning it off results in noticeable battery life improvement, and I say this as someone who thinks people obsess over battery life too much.

There's a lot of space between "learning how your phone works and setting it up to your preference" and "janitoring your phone", but a lot of you have a weird mentality that even opening the Settings app at all is janitoring your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The poster above mentioned how with Background App Refresh off, their podcast app wouldn't have preloaded new episodes in the background, so saying there's "no benefit" is clearly not true.

I say this as a person who has Background App Refresh totally off as well. It's not that you're using it wrong or anything for yourself, but acting like just blanket disabling major features is good advice for every new user to the platform is also kinda weird. For some, there are benefits. For others, like us, there are none.

Which, btw, is kinda why I don't get why people come in here and are like "hey got my first iPhone so what are some absolute must-dos" or whatever. Just use it for a while and figure out what works for you. Everyone's use case is different.