Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

4 days left until the GOTY thread results are tallied, get your lists in if you haven't :f5h::3:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019454

oh poo poo oh gently caress :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm sorry I didn't believe you guys about Astros playroom. It's so much fun and a cool history trip.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm sorry I didn't believe you guys about Astros playroom. It's so much fun and a cool history trip.

Don't miss out on the time trial challenges, those are fun too. Except they should delete the one where you play marble madness with the touchpad, as well as its leaderboard, which contains only cheaters,

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Don't miss out on the time trial challenges, those are fun too. Except they should delete the one where you play marble madness with the touchpad, as well as its leaderboard, which contains only cheaters,

Lol I was #3 in the world on that one back when it came out

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Does GoW Ragnorok explain why Mrs. Kratos intentionally had him cut down the tree that was hinding them from the bad guys

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I was #3 in the world on that one back when it came out

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Does GoW Ragnorok explain why Mrs. Kratos intentionally had him cut down the tree that was hinding them from the bad guys

I think GoW 2018 explains that? She foresees and/or plans the events of both games and has Kratos cut down the tree as the catalyst that kicks everything off

That reminds me of a question that I don't think Ragnarok answers: Who blew the horn?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You weren’t supposed to remember that happened because Santa Monica Studio certainly didn’t

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah that's where I'm leaning. Also I like how the world serpent recognizing Atreus and having been sent back in time from Ragnarok by Thor was barely addressed and totally incidental to the plot, like including it was an obligation. I remember being a bit intrigued by that stuff and Ragnarok just drops it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
another Ragnarok plot point that the game really hopes you’ll ignore is why the mask initially pointed to Garm. for a while I thought the big lug had just swallowed a piece of it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

I think GoW 2018 explains that? She foresees and/or plans the events of both games and has Kratos cut down the tree as the catalyst that kicks everything off

Huh, guess I missed that part. I assumed it would be some kind of plot twist like she was secretly evil or something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

another Ragnarok plot point that the game really hopes you’ll ignore is why the mask initially pointed to Garm. for a while I thought the big lug had just swallowed a piece of it

Consensus is that based on Odin telling him the mask would lead him to what he was looking for, the mask just points to whatever Atreus cares most about and since he’s an animal lover it pointed him at an animal in need of help but that’s giving them an awful lot of wiggle room on the subject.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I said come in! posted:

I played some video games tonight on my PlayStation 5.
:mods:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oxxidation posted:

Hah, I was convinced this was going to be the case, and spent hours waiting patiently for them to put two and two together... and then nothing, the last piece is somewhere else entirely, and Garm was just a random false positive I guess? Lame.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1608138420752375808?t=g-quGm53HffpGylxyr5FjA&s=19

The rumors were true

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I'll try AV2, hope it's better than the first one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol Fallout 76 loving sucks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Trust in vikar.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Guess I'll try AV2, hope it's better than the first one

They are different enough that chances are pretty high that whatever you disliked in AV1 is not present either at all or in a similar vein as in the first one. I like both a lot for very different reasons.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought Fallout 76 was free to play (and also sucked rear end)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, you had to buy it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
So they never fixed Fallout 76 I take it? I never heard good things about it at launch but wondered if they patched it into something worth playing after all this time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Arist posted:

No, you had to buy it

You had to pay for it to suck rear end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ElwoodCuse posted:

So they never fixed Fallout 76 I take it? I never heard good things about it at launch but wondered if they patched it into something worth playing after all this time.

They've patched it to the point that you can find people who claim to enjoy it instead of universal agreement that it's a disaster. But these people are still pretty few and far between

I already played Fallen Order and didn't like Axiom Verge 1 that much so this is a weak month for me

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
When Fallout 76 came out, my flatmate who had been very hyped for Fallout 4 went "eh, I'll buy it when it's £40", but every time it dropped price or went on sale the amount he was willing to pay also dropped. I think, after all this time, free might just about be the right price for it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I would consider a deal where every minute of F76 I play extends my lifetime by like 3 or 4 minutes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For a second I was like "cool I guess I can at least try out FO76 for free" and then I remembered I have a disc copy that Amazon literally sent me for free for no reason and it's been on Gamepass for years and I haven't played it for more than an hour and straight up forgot I owned it already lol.

Honestly some people are pretty adamant it's not bad anymore, but other players running around in my Fallout game is super unappealing. Maybe if goons I normally play with start playing it cause it's free I'll try and give it a fair shot I dunno.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

really weird how bethesda's fallouts keep running away from just being RPGs instead of weird trendchasing hybrids and service games. Back when fallout 4 was announced I would've wanted to give it a try if they hadn't immediately put all marketing focus on basebuilding stuff

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite all of their jank, Bethesda games have the longest legs of any games out there. Personally I play them once, maybe 5 years later I'll play one of them again. I always skip half the side stuff too. But there are people out there that play them for like, 1000s hours and on Bethesda's end, time wasting stuff like base building and multiplayer is another thing that should keep players buying and playing their games for longer. Problem with FO76 (beyond the terrible launch) is that most people let out a collective groan at another MP game when they just wanted FO5 or ES6.

That said, I think both FO76 and ESO are actually pretty popular. Just not popular here on the forums, and I don't think the fans of their SP and MP stuff has a ton of crossover.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I was convinced this was going to be the case, and spent hours waiting patiently for them to put two and two together... and then nothing, the last piece is somewhere else entirely, and Garm was just a random false positive I guess? Lame.

Yeah me too, I had also wikipediaed ragnarok because I wanted to be able to pick up which things were references to the actual old myths (that we know of) and there's a bit where odin is swallowed by fenrir, and I was like ok cool this is leading to odin intentionally going in there to get the last piece...... nope.

I did really enjoy the storyline as a whole but a couple of bits just really didn't land. The worst one for me was (post-endgame spoiler for the prison sidequest)Tyr is just.... alive actually? And you actually find him? With zero fanfare whatsoever, no big reveal, no swell of music, no buildup, he's just hanging out in a basic sidequest prison where you can see him through the bars before the characters can. I wouldn't mind this in a game that went more for realism, but this is the gamiest game there is, it shouldn't be so anticlimactic.

I kind of liked the melancholy of oh Tyr was actually dead all along, of course it wouldn't be so convenient as him being alive and so easy to find. And Atreus doesn't even get to find out that he actually was alive! It was just really tonally weird and for a while I was convinced he was also an imposter but it looks like not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder what the next big Sony disappointment is gonna be after Ragnarok.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s dumb that Sony has a thing on the homepage that says “x# of friends play this game” but you can’t actually click on it and see who it is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I liked Fallout back when it was isometric, but I have zero attachment to it as a 3D immersive game. Less than zero.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what first-party games are Sony gonna release in 2023?

Im excited for Spider-man 2 but i cant think of anything else on the horizon for them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Presumably that Factions standalone game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Im excited for Spider-man 2 but i cant think of anything else on the horizon for them

Square are basically first party now so two final fantys and the freaking wizard final fanty game.

I don't think Sony studios have shown anything else but I bet there's games. Bluepoint are threatening that they've been making their own game and Housemarque are making a new IP.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Spider-Man 2 is it for announced 2023 exclusives if you aren't counting timed exclusives like FF16. There's Factions 2 and the Wolverine game but they have no date yet. Either Sony has a bunch of announcements they're sitting on or there's nothing in the hopper.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Either Sony has a bunch of announcements they're sitting on or there's nothing in the hopper.

They are sitting on announcements because of the acti-blizz drama. I think soon tho

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The announcement will be the end of support for the ps5

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why would the activision vs blizzard drama affect sony's schedule for announcements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I think Sony is claiming that Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to absorb Activision because Sony has no games of their own and it'd be unfair if the Activision IP's all became Microsoft-owned

Announcing a bunch of new PS5 games would obviously undercut that