Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not having any luck googling this: am I correct that all wood types have the same value and the most valuable bed is any masterwork one? Can you bling beds out with gems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Is there a way to get dwarves to write books aside from manuals? I know that, in worldgen, people can write novels, poems, guides to locations, they can write down songs or instructions for dance forms, biographies, atlases, dictionaries, all kinds of stuff, and they can end up in your fortress and you can trade or raid for them, but your assigned scholars never seem to write anything except academic texts. If I assign a poet as a scholar will they write poetry?

It doesn't really matter in gameplay terms, of course, but I am curious.

From what I gathered by reading the wiki the other day:

It very much comes down to what specific knowledge a scholar has been exposed to. If your dwarves are writing nothing but academic textbooks (which are kind of the default "nothing special" type book), it's because your Scholars don't have knowledge of music, dance, poetry, history, astronomy, philosophy, or geography, which are the tags that allow them to write other kinds of books -or- your civilization has not researched certain literary forms needed to write those kinds of books.

Here's the wiki's list of different book forms and what knowledge is required to write them:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Book#Literary_Forms

Pure speculation, but I think getting visitors (presumably world-travelers) to write books will probably lead to more interesting books, because they're (again, presumably) exposed to a much wider variety of topics than your fort-dwelling dwarves. Otherwise, possibly recruiting new dwarves directly from your world map holdings might help for scholarly endeavors because they'd have to travel across the world to reach you. But that's 100% speculation.

More speculation: I think buying up codices (or stealing them on raids) to build up your library will lead to your scholars writing more interesting books because the library's book collection exposes them to all kinds of new knowledge.

E: also worth noting, as the wiki points out, anything other than academic manuals is a rare event, and the best way to get interesting books in your fort will be playing Adventurer mode to collect books and bring them to your fort.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 29, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve noticed that our favorited pointy eared tree fuccbois now take issue with being offered animal parts. Is that a new thing or is my memory failing me?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Warbird posted:

I’ve noticed that our favorited pointy eared tree fuccbois now take issue with being offered animal parts. Is that a new thing or is my memory failing me?

In my last fort I had an insane amount of iron/coke/etc so I just sold them tons of iron anvils .. there are probably other things but they never had much that was interesting beyond animals and books.

Do keas steal poo poo inside your fort? I'm built in to a mountainside now because those fuckers loooovveee stealing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Warbird posted:

Not only that, but they seemingly get mad if you offer them anything made out of metal which used wood-burned coal in the production process.

I just crank out Rock Figurines for them now. And I only use Rock Bins because if you try to sell them things in a wooden bin they get mad. That and glazed earthenware if I have cassiterite to glaze it with.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just make some gold/silver/platinum crafts for them. Their stuff is cheap enough that you can usually buy them completely out with less than 10 gold crafts.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Am I missing a step on how to stop artifact thieves? I literally saw a dwarf steal an artifact, convicted him on the spot, and he just trotted out the front door and handed it off. How am I supposed to stop this?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GruntyThrst posted:

Am I missing a step on how to stop artifact thieves? I literally saw a dwarf steal an artifact, convicted him on the spot, and he just trotted out the front door and handed it off. How am I supposed to stop this?

Lock the doors, put a kill order on the agent they handed it off to

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

mst4k posted:

Do keas steal poo poo inside your fort? I'm built in to a mountainside now because those fuckers loooovveee stealing

That's kea irl too. Just be thankful they aren't also killing your sheep or destroying your minecarts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today I learned that collapsing structures can pierce through the ground on multiple Z layers, and are not merely dangerous to dwarves with nothing between them and the collapse but open space

trying to deconstruct that silver-and-steel ceiling directly over the main entrance and stairway of my fortress, caused nearly ten deaths before I realized I didn't have a monster or murderer on the loose, other than myself

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Broken Cog posted:

Lock the doors, put a kill order on the agent they handed it off to

Or just do what I do and prevent it in the first place. Lock all your artifacts up in a room with a forbidden door, or wall them in somewhere.

Or even better, embrace your inner dwarf xenophobia and your hatred of those filthy surface dwellers and don't let any of those outsider jerks into your fortress at all.

My trade depot is behind this big rear end bridge, which is only down when the caravan is on the way in.

Once the caravan is in, I raise this bridge on the path behind them. A little airlock while we are trading. Then I lower the airlock door at the same time as I raise the bridge back into the fortress when we are done. No one but the caravan allowed in or out.

But, you ask, what if visitors try to sneak in alongside the caravan? I present, the World's Crappiest Visitor Annex!

That's right, a tiny tavern up top with four tables and four beds, a miserable temple with one chair, a statute, and an altar. All on unsmoothed dirt. Perfect for all these plotting scumbags. That used to be a library on the right but I kept getting spammed with dwarves cancelling jobs because they wanted to put paper and books in there, so I disabled it.

The thing is, all my taverns and temples and stuff in the fortress proper are set to citizens only, while this is set to everyone. Since the visitors can't get into the fortress proper anyway, they all cluster up in here. Then, when the trade caravan comes through, or if my dwarves have to go topside for some reason, I just lock the door to the Visitor Annex. They can wait safely in there while we take care of business.

I love the thought that all these people are coming to visit and then going back home and telling everyone "I don't know what all the fuss is, it's kind of crap."

I don't know if I'd do this on every fortress; having visitors and all the Fun that they bring can make things more exciting. But as a test case of "can I just keep everyone the hell out" this works great.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, I just live by the rule that I don't put anything on display that I don't mind losing. I like the drama from having visitors coming to my fort to try to steal my valuables, lets me play around with the justice system more. Discover plots that Mister importingsoundingguy that I have never heard of has corrupted 3 of my guards in order to steal my legendary thong studded with gem spikes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah we bedazzle socks to pay off the wizards and illithids, so what?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Quick question about burying the dead... made a mass-grave (or so I thought) using the 'tomb' and when I checked later the whole area is dedicated to one loser. What's the best way to efficiently make sure the dead are ending up in coffins?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there no stockpile that accepts thread made from hair? I've been spinning them for hospital use but even my all everything stockpile won't get them hauled

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sullat posted:

Quick question about burying the dead... made a mass-grave (or so I thought) using the 'tomb' and when I checked later the whole area is dedicated to one loser. What's the best way to efficiently make sure the dead are ending up in coffins?

"tomb"s are individual burial chambers. you need one for each rear end in a top hat youre burying

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

sullat posted:

Each coffin needs a room with a door for the mass designate to work

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

sullat posted:

You can also make individual 1-block zones as "tombs" but like others have said this means you can't use the auto-designate function.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah we bedazzle socks to pay off the wizards and illithids, so what?
this is just like, an etsy product

dwarven ingenuity

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

sullat posted:

Tombs are like bedrooms in that they're assigned one per dwarf, no mass graves. Also like bedrooms, these can be mass designated. If you don't want to go through the hassle of carving out all those rooms and giving each one a door so that the mass designation works properly, there is a trick: channeling. Just find some large open room and channel a bunch of one or two tile sized holes in the floor. Go down one z-level and now you have a bunch of seperate little graves that can be mass designated as a bunch of tombs without having to fret about the third dimension, each with its own coffin and I guess a memorial statue or whatever if you wanna be extravagant about it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Related tip worth noting: Any change in z-level is effectively the same thing as a door, as far as rooms are concerned. You can do bedrooms and tombs both by simply digging down and putting them underground, with no need to add hatches or anything like that. Your dwarves are perfectly happy living in little 2x3 open ditches. The room designator only looks at the current floor.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The channeling technique of making rooms is especially useful for tombs for one reason: once a dwarf is interred in the coffin, nobody ever really needs to access that room ever again, so you can just construct a floor over it and just seal it away. Now that large open floorspace on top of these filled in graves can be turned into something else like a tavern or something.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Danaru posted:

Is there no stockpile that accepts thread made from hair? I've been spinning them for hospital use but even my all everything stockpile won't get them hauled

I've only seen hair under refuse, so make sure you're not storing any clothes in the same stockpile or else they'll rot.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I found the goblins

edit: 99. sieged by 99 goblins

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 29, 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the outside of my fort is littered with goblin skeletons to the point where im pretty sure all of my dwarves dont care about seeing death anymore

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Can one get a map without magma or adamantine?

I'm around 200 dwarves, I have a queen who , well I think I just need more gold statues (Got a *lot* of gold), I've been able to comfortable blow off the reasonably common goblin invasions with minimal loss of life, and the last 3 forgotten beasts didn't even manage to get a single kill in.

Outside of fairly regular tantrums, its a super stable fort. But with one glaring problem, no magma or admantine. I've dug all the way to the very bottom and absolutely nothing. Just regular old caverns.

Oh and no sedimentary levels either. :(

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

duck monster posted:

Can one get a map without magma or adamantine?

I'm around 200 dwarves, I have a queen who , well I think I just need more gold statues (Got a *lot* of gold), I've been able to comfortable blow off the reasonably common goblin invasions with minimal loss of life, and the last 3 forgotten beasts didn't even manage to get a single kill in.

Outside of fairly regular tantrums, its a super stable fort. But with one glaring problem, no magma or admantine. I've dug all the way to the very bottom and absolutely nothing. Just regular old caverns.

Oh and no sedimentary levels either. :(

According to the wiki if you have at least a 3x3 embark you will have an adamantine spire.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You won't necessarily have wall to wall magma, you might need to do some exploratory pillars all over the place

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So books and things were not a thing the last time I played DF. Are they just for fun or do dwarves actually read and get skills and knowledge from them? How do you make a library and will people actually use it?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Update on the 99 goblin siege: one of my hammer dwarves lost a foot and they killed all my dogs :(

edit: oh no I got a new noble because of the mass murder of the guests outside my gates and she wants catapult parts. time for an unfortunate accident

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 29, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My woodworker will only create masterwork beds now, so now everyone gets a masterwork bed I guess

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
In a matter of like, an hour I went from "I need more migrants" to "oh no, please stop giving me migrants". Anyway, my population is now like six times what it was last session and one of the new dwarves has green skin and I don't know what her deal is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Making a militia commander out of a migrant necromancer is having interesting side effects...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I assigned one of the plethora of necromancers that have arrived since I asked about them earlier as my tavern keeper, eagerly awaiting the first bar fight

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Three forts in a row lost to a single were-WHATEVER which bit someone and started a cascade.

How the heck do I deal with these idiots? Engage more with ranged so they can't get in close and bite, perhaps?

Or can I code tweak them out entirely...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
No code tweaking necessary, when you generate a world you can set the number of werebeast types including setting it to 0 to remove them entirely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How do I make my dwarves gather honey? I have many hives, but no one seems to gather from them.

EDIT: also are cage traps useless on flying animals? giant cardinals keep killing my dwarves, like; dozens of them. Nothing seems to stop them, these things are insanely powerful and they thirst for the blood of children.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 29, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nuebot posted:

How do I make my dwarves gather honey? I have many hives, but no one seems to gather from them.

EDIT: also are cage traps useless on flying animals? giant cardinals keep killing my dwarves, like; dozens of them. Nothing seems to stop them, these things are insanely powerful and they thirst for the blood of children.

A single drawbridge will stop them good, just make sure your entry hut has a roof too or they'll just fly over.

I'd sometimes find a ton of them dead in tunnels with traps, but unclear if they died by the traps or by the busy traffic in the tunnel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuebot posted:

See if the elves will sell you tame Giant Parrots or something. Set a giant angry bird to trap a giant angry bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The elves don't like me much on account of deforestation. Speaking of taming things though; all of the tame like cows and stuff crawl into my caves and starve, everything else is fine; I don't know what to do about that besides kill them and eat them.

But more importantly, is it a good idea to just make armour for everyone? I have a lot of iron, maybe less children would die to cardinal attacks if they were covered in armour and had swords.