Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My idea for improving construction would be fewer buildings with more construction cost and bigger capacity; construction cost for changing PMs; and each building requires a small amount of construction to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Besides, another major driver of construction in the 19th century was urbanization.

I don't know how would be a cool way to implement it in gameplay, but urban center expansion as it happens through industrialization should be, at first, a garbage deal in terms of SoL (and not wages) because cities could be seriously awful depending on how down the ladder somebody was.

Like, at game start, Manchester is a good way to represent that problem: factoring in enclosures, Manchester's industrial wages were higher than average, which attracted a lot of people to become the urban proletariat of that city. However, higher wages didn't solve much when urban planning was poo poo. Stuff like water supply and sewage being absolutely awful meant cholera sprees just to begin with. Proper housing took a couple of decades to happen in a larger scale.

IDK, but the growth of urban centers could do with a construction maintenance cost to begin representing that sort of stuff. Like, putting construction to the improvement of SoL through housing, public works, etc feels like a good way to have a baseline demand (besides general maintenance) and not have an immediate crash once queue is over, while also offering a neat thing to do if you are playing a council republic or so. "OK, the revolution is here, lets get great housing to everybody", things like that

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Housing as a building that you have to spend construction on or having urban centers consume construction would be a two birds-one stone approach to a lot of problems like SoL being too easy to raise, rapid population growth is too good, and mid/end game construction being too high. There's definitely some solution there, but gently caress if I have the ability to work it out.

Maybe housing could be like infrastructure, a base thing that each state has a minimum of, but then you need to dump construction into it once you go over the minimum or else your SoL for pops drops.

That being said, the last loving thing we need is something that eats even more wood.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You could even have a Tenement building pop up to, poorly and dangerously, satisfy unmet housing needs, akin to subsistence farming.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ithle01 posted:

Maybe housing could be like infrastructure, a base thing that each state has a minimum of, but then you need to dump construction into it once you go over the minimum or else your SoL for pops drops.
I feel like what would make the most sense would be to just have a number that's essentially construction dumped into housing for a state, with a percentage decay. Compare that number to the number of pops in the state, and you get an average quality of housing that can raise or lower the SoL of pops in the state as long as they're not starving. As long as you're growing rapidly it's hard to really pump that number up, but as you start to level out more construction capacity is freed to maintain a higher level of housing.

Would probably need some level of automation, in the form of laws defining what quality you're aiming for, which prioritize increasing levels of construction capacity for maintenance. In any case, it definitely aligns with my interpretation of the whole gardening aspect of the game, and it is kinda weird to not include.

Ithle01 posted:

That being said, the last loving thing we need is something that eats even more wood.
Sounds like a simple balance issue? Just increase the amount of wood being produced.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I really wish businesses would stop poaching employees from each other when there's a labor shortage, because it rapidly drives up wages to the point where no business can be profitable. It also means that building more factories than can be fully employed is devastating to the economy.

Hell, they even do it when there's no one else to hire from. In Japanese Hokkaido there's a gold mine, and in my current game it's the only building constructed after the gold fields dried up. If I expand it until there's no more labor left to hire in the state, it will keep trying to poach its own employees, constantly raising wages because the jobs stay unfilled (since there's no one to fill them). Eventually the mine is no longer profitable because it raised the wages for too long, and it starts laying off people.

Which I guess finally gives it some free labor to hire, so yay for that :downs:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
You have to occasionally be willing to close down buildings that are causing problems. It's one of the reasons why the first thing to do when conquering most territory is to gut all the previous buildings except the stuff that is immediately profitable.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My current wish would be a button to press that optimises production methods based on available qualifications for each state.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Anyone tried out The Great Rework mod? It seems to have some good ideas but I’m afraid it’s the classic modding case of “cramming in everything you can think of”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven't played in Italy yet- is there even a whisper of poo poo like the Pact of Plombières or Austria noticing or caring or the new Italy noticing or caring about all those other italians?

Every game they just spawn in the 1840s and no one gives a gently caress about a great power emerging directly south of them, nor does the new Italy give a flying gently caress about Lombardy or Veneto. "Good stuff Austria, keep it up"-italians, 1848

e: hell, a full dlc could be made just dealing with Garibaldi vs the piedmontese vs the Pope vs the Naples Bourbons vs the currently not existing Louis Napoléon and all this poo poo was in Vicky 1, and that's before I get into Austria-Hungary going full augsleich in 1850 because idk, Prussia is one-by-one annexing all the minors so I guess this timeline excuses us of that nasty war

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 27, 2022

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Vicky 1 had a great Italy game and I'd love to see an Italian Ambition expansion.

I just lost a solid Persia game by having a rebellion while I wasn't paying attention during a war with Russia. "The Peasant Rebellion Against Colonial Exploitation"

Combat is weird and I don't understand why I end up losing battles where I outnumber and out general the enemy, but in this case my fault for letting this thing fire off. They also got the naval bases in the revolt so I couldn't backdoor them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GreenMarine posted:

Vicky 1 had a great Italy game and I'd love to see an Italian Ambition expansion.

I just lost a solid Persia game by having a rebellion while I wasn't paying attention during a war with Russia. "The Peasant Rebellion Against Colonial Exploitation"

Combat is weird and I don't understand why I end up losing battles where I outnumber and out general the enemy, but in this case my fault for letting this thing fire off. They also got the naval bases in the revolt so I couldn't backdoor them.

Don't know what exactly is going into your combat specifically, but it's worth noting that from about the mid-game onwards units at the same tech level generally have better defensive stats than offensive stats, especially once trench infantry and machine guns are unlocked (unsurprisingly). If you're fighting a war in such conditions and NEED to go on the offensive for whatever political reason you'll probably lose a lot of battles even if you have more troops, but can still pull out an overall victory via attrition if you have deeper reserves than the enemy has. It's usually better to sit on the defensive and let the enemy wear themselves out before counterattacking if you have the option though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
drat, the AI is going bankrupt a lot in the lastest version. I know they made it play it a bit less safe financially in the last patch, but I wonder if they didn't take it a bit far.

On the other hand, easy Force Recognition with all these bankrupt or in default GPs around. Not to mention it saved my rear end when I invaded Korea in my latest Japan game. The US got involved and they were utterly decimating my troops with their technological superiority, but financially they couldn't keep it up for very long and eventually had to pull out when they went bankrupt.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Additional production line for Tooling Industries: Building handguns. Same old small-arms item, just with three tiers of how many resources it's gonna consume. Flintlock pistols would be unlocked when Gunsmithing is completed, Revolvers would become available when Percussion Caps become a thing, Semi-automatic handguns when you unlock Automatic Machine Guns as an item. All at the expense of some tool production.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here's a new one. I was at war with the Sikh Empire for Punjab when the EIC started a play for Punjab. The Sikh Empire backed down and ceded the territory, which removed my wargoal but didn't end the war.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Here's a new one. I was at war with the Sikh Empire for Punjab when the EIC started a play for Punjab. The Sikh Empire backed down and ceded the territory, which removed my wargoal but didn't end the war.
Presumably the Sikh Empire still had a war goal on you, right? If you had the upper hand they'd presumably accept a white peace, but if you were losing they'd still be fighting for reparations or whatever from you for daring to declare the war in the first place.

Seems like everything working sensibly, but a real dick move by the Sikhs! I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do what they did though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why are like 95% of characters bandits?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My president was a bandit

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My president was a bandit

they mean in the game

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why are like 95% of characters bandits?

Going by the wiki, because it's a skill trait (meaning a character can get it during the course of gameplay) with no limitations on who can get it. Which makes it 1 of 6 traits available for rulers or politicians and 1 of 5 traits available to heirs. So bandits end up bizarrely common compared to IRL.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is the game playable yet?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I wouldn't play it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
alwaysBeen.jpeg

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If I had a single change I'd use to try and blunt the exponential growth of player countries, it'd be to have urban centers require some passive construction to stay intact. Sure, you can build Mega City One, but a fair % of the people living there have to keep it running, you know?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm approaching 300 hours so far, I'd say it's pretty good. It does have some pretty serious issues that you may or may not bump into in any given game, like a single frontline that suddenly splits into a dozen smaller frontlines and such. I wouldn't play on ironman, because sometimes reloading a bit back is the only recourse when it acts up.

Other than that it's a Paradox game, you presumably know what they're like. There's always some issues and always another update or DLC on the horizon that may or may not fix them and add cool stuff in the process. You can jump in now, or after the first DLC, or the fifth DLC, it doesn't really matter. Jumping in early just means more time to (hopefully) enjoy it.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 30, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Was there a time it wasn’t playable

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Are any Paradox games playable, really?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Are any Paradox games playable, really?

Playable? Yes.

Able to feel human while playing? Debatable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

Was there a time it wasn’t playable
For like the five minutes between:
After PDX released that patch that broke political power for certain groups
and
Before modders fixed it

Otherwise its a decent game. I really enjoy it for the "number goes up" and related stuff. I enjoyed taking Persia from being a backwater to being #1 world power and more population than anyone but China. You can play a game and focus on going "tall" with high SoL and lots of pops in a small area, you can go wide by conquering a lot and colonizing, or you can go somewhere in the middle. However there is some jank (unfortunately I cannot point out a game released in the past 2 years by a major developer/publisher that hasnt had at least some) and depending who you play as or your goals it may not be as fun as playing as other countries and/or having different goals. But it is very playable and even fun if you like the game mechanics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 30, 2022

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I am slowly getting closer to being able to spot, diagnose and address financial quicksand situations where a sudden market change leads to a death spiral...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

For like the five minutes between:
After PDX released that patch that broke political power for certain groups
and
Before modders fixed it

Otherwise its a decent game. I really enjoy it for the "number goes up" and related stuff. I enjoyed taking Persia from being a backwater to being #1 world power and more population than anyone but China. You can play a game and focus on going "tall" with high SoL and lots of pops in a small area, you can go wide by conquering a lot and colonizing, or you can go somewhere in the middle. However there is some jank (unfortunately I cannot point out a game released in the past 2 years by a major developer/publisher that hasnt had at least some) and depending who you play as or your goals it may not be as fun as playing as other countries and/or having different goals. But it is very playable and even fun if you like the game mechanics.

Yeah that's how I feel. Objectively, it's probably wiser to wait for the steam sale or humble bundle on the 15 DLCs five years from now. Subjectively, though? For all the stupid stuff watching your lines go up up UP as a gameplay loop works. If you like lines and capiatlists and all their factroys, it's fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Asproigerosis posted:

I'd give it more time. If you just want to see numbers go up in your own country it's fun for a bit. But once you start looking outside of your borders you realize how broken the game still is. AI is braindead at managing their own economies, it's about on par with Stellaris in that the AI simply can't engage with the mechanics at all. They build seemingly random unprofitable stuff, but mostly they just don't build at all. Vast undeveloped gold mines, coal shortages but refuse to build coal mines, that sort of thing.

it's way too easy for a player to take ANY country on the map and make it the #1 global economy in a few decades, which to me means the economy is way too easy for the player and way too hard for the AI. You'll never feel even remotely in economic competition with other nations, they simply aren't trying.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

its a fun idler SP game (when modded) , it is not yet playable for MP until rehosts are less frequent and significantly faster

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd give it more time. If you just want to see numbers go up in your own country it's fun for a bit. But once you start looking outside of your borders you realize how broken the game still is. AI is braindead at managing their own economies, it's about on par with Stellaris in that the AI simply can't engage with the mechanics at all. They build seemingly random unprofitable stuff, but mostly they just don't build at all. Vast undeveloped gold mines, coal shortages but refuse to build coal mines, that sort of thing.

it's way too easy for a player to take ANY country on the map and make it the #1 global economy in a few decades, which to me means the economy is way too easy for the player and way too hard for the AI. You'll never feel even remotely in economic competition with other nations, they simply aren't trying.

AI is pretty good at competing before 1900 with the AI mod at least.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ok so what are the mods I need to make good game?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I really enjoy the early game when you're trying to balance progress and economic growth with political and financial stability.

While I have some issues with the construction system especially later on, early on it has some interesting tradeoffs. You can go maximum construction speed, but at the cost of having the rest of your industry so dependent on the construction sector that the whole economy collapses if you stop building. Or you can take it slower and have your industry treat the construction sector only as a good customer whose business means lots of extra profit whenever construction is taking place, but then you might be playing it too safe and become a pushover against other nations looking to expand their influence.

All while trying to get some societal reforms going without the landowners going radical and taking the whole country down with them. Or ending up in trouble because you took down the landowners through suppression and reforms, but didn't pay attention to which group came in to fill the void they left and now you've got a different set of problems.

Sadly the latest version has some of the GPs going bankrupt a lot causing them to delete all their ports which crashes their market completely. This makes it almost impossible to keep up trade with them or be in their market for long and having an economy that relies on them is 100% suicide (instead of just 50% normally).

Looking at Stellaris at release versus the current version, I'm hoping that this game will see a similar evolution over the coming years and become something much better than what it is now, even if there will always be aspects of it that are just not very good or never realize their potential.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 30, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Asproigerosis posted:

Ok so what are the mods I need to make good game?

grab most of the UI ones that look good, and the AI one, to start.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

mods that really tweak economic poo poo arent really out yet besides the Great Rework that i refuse to try bc it’s ostentatiously named and doesnt explain its goal well. so gameplay is a lil samier now than it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Waifu Radia posted:

AI is pretty good at competing before 1900 with the AI mod at least.

To be fair, the only reason we don't know if the AI is competitive after 1900 is that the game becomes a slideshow by 1880