Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Batterypowered7 posted:

Logan's Run herself

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Frank Frank posted:

There are dozens of them around Washington DC and the MD burbs and they are an enormous fad right now. Been going strong since 2020 with no sign of slowing down.

This is one of the most popular around me:
https://ironagekoreansteakhouse.com

yeah larger metro areas have them but it hasnt been americanized yet. theres no panda express of hot pot to bring it to every suburb hell hole or rural poo poo town. as a resident of a rural poo poo town who had hot pot for the first time 3 mos ago i personally cant wait.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Troublemaker posted:

There's one in Orlando that has an adorable little robot, and all the ingredients come out on a conveyor belt and you just grab whatever you want. U and Me Revolving Hot Pot.

Well I know where I'm going in the new year

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hai Di Lao is a hotpot chain Ive never gone wrong at and if there is one near you and you've not done hot pot go do it.

Also dump your boyfriend or whatever.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Barudak posted:

Hai Di Lao is a hotpot chain Ive never gone wrong at and if there is one near you and you've not done hot pot go do it.

Ok hear me out, can we combine the hot pot and the acid vat in some way? I hear humans taste a lot like pork belly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Anyone even slightly interested in Chinese food in western countries should read this article:
https://globalnews.ca/news/9190933/ginger-beef-history-of-chinese-canadian-cuisine/

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

wheatpuppy posted:

Ok hear me out, can we combine the hot pot and the acid vat in some way? I hear humans taste a lot like pork belly.

No, like good veal.

Uh, I've heard.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've got a local self-serve hot pot place in the mall less than a mile away. You pick up a bowl and tongs at the start of the line. Then you go down the line loading up your bowl; protein, veg, noodles, whatever you want. There's a huge selection of protein too, I counted at least eight different kinds of fish balls, and four or five cuts of pork. Then they weigh it to charge you, and you decide on a broth or sauce. They cook it how you want it (soup or stir fry), and you have a delicious, if pricey, meal.

As at least an occasional treat I can't recommend it highly enough.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Frank Frank posted:

There are dozens of them around Washington DC and the MD burbs and they are an enormous fad right now. Been going strong since 2020 with no sign of slowing down.

This is one of the most popular around me:
https://ironagekoreansteakhouse.com

Being in that area is cheating relative to the rest of the US. I was in Columbia, MD for a week for work and the food was so good and varied that I've been thinking of as many work related reasons to go back in 2023, just to hang out in the local restaurants.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I live in Alabama and we've got a hotpot place. Haven't tried it yet because I tend to eat alone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

To make American Chinese food, you take a Chinese recipe, deep-fry anything that can be deep-fried, and add a cup of sugar to the sauce. It's incredible how much sugar you need to dissolve into a dish to make it taste like it came from Panda Express.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’d like to take the time to let you all know that teen witch and I are proud of each and every one of you. You had every opportunity to burn this place to the ground last night and you didn’t take it. I’m actually a little choked up…

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Barudak posted:

Hai Di Lao is the bomb, though there are definitely cheaper places. HDL’s service is just amazing. They also sell their broth for home hot pot and a self heating hot pot.

If you ever have a chance, try satay lok lok, which is basically hot pot but the food comes on sticks and the broth is satay sauce. So drat good.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Barudak posted:

I used to go to the one in Singapore when I lived there, what a time to be alive

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Man this hotpot stuff sounds so good, and I just found one place in my area that serves it.

I wish I had friends :smith:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I read at the peak, only 37% of jobs were remote. Which is a lot but also not a lot.

Did OP report how the well finger steak turned out?
37% of all jobs or 37% of office jobs? Because as much as computer touchers would want it to be a lot of jobs can't go remote. Healthcare is an obvious huge employer that in practice can't make a lot of their employees remote, or a lot of maintenance jobs, etc.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for taking my son (15) out on the streets with me to see what addiction is really like after he was caught smoking and drinking

quote:

I (35M) have a 15 year old son named Gavin.

I used to be a heroin addict and lived on the streets. When my son was 5 I got sober and have been clean since.

Recently Gavin got caught smoking weed and drinking.

He knows that I’m disappointed in him and that he is too young to be drinking and smoking.

Every once in a while I walk the streets and help the people I used to use with. I offer them resources, give them food, etc. My wife doesn’t like this but she knows it’s important to me.

On Boxing Day, I took Gavin with me to meet some of the people on the streets. I made him watch how they lived and how they interacted with me. I could tell it really shook him, which was my goal so he could see what addiction is really like.

When I told his mom, she was upset with me and said I put him at risk but honestly I think it’s good for him to get out there and see what I went through and what he will also if he doesn’t clean his act up in the future.

So am I the rear end in a top hat

i remember DARE telling me that smoking marijuana even once, even just a single puff, could make me drop dead instantly. when i figured out that this was bullshit, it kind of made me think that everything else they said was a lie, too. so it kind of had the opposite effect from what they were going for

i'm sure that OP telling his kid that weed will turn him into a homeless junkie is completely different, tho

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm glad the guy got clean but there is such a thing as projecting your addictive personality onto others.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for 'humiliating' my gf in football?

holy fuckin poo poo dude, do you even like your gf? i wouldn't be that brutal to someone i hated

hahahaha ops Michael Owen apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XadLaAYKol0

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Teaching his kid a lesson by taking him on the streets and introducing him to local dealers.

I'll cut him a little slack for being an ex-smackhead but I've been amazed in my life at the amount of people that think drinking/weed instantly leads to injecting heroin.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
At least he admits to his kid that he's speaking from his own bad experience. I got two siblings who think it's a good idea to completely hide their drug history from their kids.

Surprisingly, teenagers don't respect your thoughts on weed when they think you've never even been in the same room as a joint because "that's what the bad kids did."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

37% of all jobs or 37% of office jobs? Because as much as computer touchers would want it to be a lot of jobs can't go remote. Healthcare is an obvious huge employer that in practice can't make a lot of their employees remote, or a lot of maintenance jobs, etc.
The stats I've seen range from 30-50% of all jobs allow for remote work, with the percentage varying depending on which study you look at and whether you're talking permanently remote or a hybrid "X days per week at home" model. But yes, that "all jobs" does really include everything in the survey, which (as you correctly note) means that there's a lot of jobs dragging down the percentage because they effectively can't be remote at present - healthcare, maintenance, delivery drivers, food service, etc.

Foo Diddley posted:

i remember DARE telling me that smoking marijuana even once, even just a single puff, could make me drop dead instantly. when i figured out that this was bullshit, it kind of made me think that everything else they said was a lie, too. so it kind of had the opposite effect from what they were going for
To be fair, getting a message about the dangers of drugs from someone who's actually lived the homeless heroin addict lifestyle probably lands differently than when we got DARE sending 50-year old balding suburbanite cops whose closest involvement with hard drugs was watching one episode of Miami Vice.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
As someone with a whole load of addicts in the family I get where the dad’s coming from:

“Other people can do what you’ve been doing, but we’re a family of addicts. Your friends might enjoy experimenting and can walk away without getting hooked, but you’ll get hooked on something like I did. This is where people just like us end up.”

Better for the kid to be aware he’s vulnerable now before he tries something that’s addictive from the first dose.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The OP also says the kid is too young to smoke and drink, so maybe he's not trying to DARE it up, but caution his kid about using substances while he's still so young and developing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drug question aside, there's nothing wrong with OP's son meeting some of the unhoused folks in his area. There's empathy to be gained from realizing they're just vulnerable people in a lovely situation. The mom barely seems to realize they're human.

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

wheatpuppy posted:

no no no, don't combine them fully, just the same building. You invite the family for hot pot and they get shown to the big vat of acid room while you get tasty hot pot as a reward for dealing with their bullshit. You can't pollute a hot pot with their bad vibes both spiritually and culinarily.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Drug question aside, there's nothing wrong with OP's son meeting some of the unhoused folks in his area. There's empathy to be gained from realizing they're just vulnerable people in a lovely situation. The mom barely seems to realize they're human.

Yea as a recovering addict myself I kinda am torn on how I feel about the base concept of 'smoking and drinking like a lot of teens do when they're just kinda feeling themselves out? TIME TO MEET MY BUDDY HERION STEVE AND HEAR HOW HE LOST HIS ARM AND FAMILY IN THE SAME NIGHT' but it does at least sound like the dad was fairly respectful about it while the mom assumed some level of inherent danger just because the kid was around the unhoused for five minutes and he at least is genuinely working with the community and helping them rather than treating them as just a scary boogeyman. Plus obviously I sympathize with him being worried about his kid with his own history and all.

Basically I'd disagree with the exact leap he made as a concept but I think he's not an rear end in a top hat and his wife needs to get some empathy considering his own background and all. I think on the whole him being open about his own past and teaching his kid empathy for the unhoused/addicts in his area will be more effective than any kinda 'scared straight' stunt so I think he's still on the right track even if I'm not 100% down with his exact method.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Shartin Mad fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 29, 2022

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
e: double

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the vacation couple is confusing because I get motion sickness and literally just came back from a carribean vacation where we rented a utv and bombed down hills and was completely fine - it’s a totally different type of motion compared to a plane or boat

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

Shartin Mad posted:

Basically I'd disagree with the exact leap he made as a concept but I think he's not an rear end in a top hat and his wife needs to get some empathy considering his own background and all. I think on the whole him being open about his own past and teaching his kid empathy for the unhoused/addicts in his area will be more effective than any kinda 'scared straight' stunt so I think he's still on the right track even if I'm not 100% down with his exact method.

If all he was doing was teaching empathy, that'd be cool but this:

quote:

On Boxing Day, I took Gavin with me to meet some of the people on the streets. I made him watch how they lived and how they interacted with me. I could tell it really shook him, which was my goal so he could see what addiction is really like.

is some scared straight bullshit. Talk to the kid about what the kid is doing. Openly talking about your own struggles with addiction can play into that, but it's way more important to make sure the kid doesn't go full-on binge drinking than it is to make sure they never, ever do any drug because dad liked smack.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Acid vat but the acid is LSD

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Biplane posted:

Acid vat but the acid is LSD

Altered states?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Watching that hosed-up movie once was enough for me, thank you.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Watching that hosed-up movie once was enough for me, thank you.

Watch one of the writer’s other movies, like Paint Your Wagon the Clint Eastwood musical

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
AITA for telling my late dad's ILs that their granddaughter is not my responsibility?

quote:

I'm 19m and my younger sister Calla 15f lives with me. Our dad and his wife died three months ago. Mine and Calla's mom died when we were younger, dad and his wife had been married for 4 years. His wife had a daughter, Lacey, who is now 5. When CPS became involved because both were left orphan's, I stepped up to take my sister. I was already working full time since I skipped college and I just about had what I needed to take care of my sister. They asked me about Lacey and I told them I just wanted to take my sister.

Lacey was placed with her grandparents, my dad's ILs. They became aware of the fact Calla came to live with me and that I had been offered the chance to take their granddaughter and refused. Once they learned this they asked me why, and then pestered me about it for weeks. Finally they told me they were older and she could use as much family as possible and that she misses Calla (she wouldn't really remember me). I asked Calla if she wanted to see her and she said not really. So I told them we were not interested in staying in their granddaughter's life. They told me she's our little sister, that my dad would have wanted us to stick together. I told them I didn't care what my dad wanted. They said not to punish a child for the sins of my parent. I blocked them and continued on with things until they sought me out on social media via one of their older grandkids and told me that I should be ashamed of myself and their granddaughter deserves to be with her siblings and be raised by me since I'm young, fit and healthy and could run around after her like they can't, and will be around a lot longer than them. I replied once that their granddaughter is not my responsibility and that I wanted them to leave me and my sister alone, because we have no reason to be in touch ever again.

That wasn't the end and they called me selfish and cruel a few times via another account. So I had to set my account to private to stop them.

AITA?

ETA: Making clear that Lacey was my dad's stepdaughter, not his daughter.

ETA2: I am a guy, not a girl. Just wanted to point that out because I have noticed a couple of people use the wrong pronouns for me and figured adding it here would help.

ETA3: Some info that keeps being asked. The bio dad is not on the scene. He could be dead but I really don't know. He never seemed to be in the picture though. He could also be unknown or something but there is no bio father involved. I also was not close to my dad. Neither was my sister. There was a lot of stuff involved there but I was no contact with him and everyone but my sister for more than a year before he and his wife died. So I had nothing to do with Lacey for more than a year.

Block everybody.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not waking my husband up and causing him to miss his flight to attend christmas with his family?

quote:

My husband (33) "Al" is the only son in his family. He's spoiled af by his mom and 3 sisters. The way I see it they're treat him like royals, call him "heir", gift him expensive stuff. Prince level treatment. I didn't have an issue with it at first since they consider it "showing love and appreciation". But I used to get into a lot of arguments with his mom and sisters about not making efforts to treat him the way they treat him. Basically they claim I'm not showing "the same level of respect" they show him and because of that I got disinvited from lots of events including christmas. Al's stance is to stay out of it and when I complained about his family disinviting me from christmas, he said he couldnot force them to have guests they didn't want.

On the morning of his flight he slept in and didn't wake up on time. He woke up freaking out and yelling about me being petty and not waking him up before his flight after he asked me to. The reason I didn't wake him up was because I myself was asleep to. Why would I wake up early just to wake him up? His phone was away since he hates sleeping nearby elecronics. He left in a rush and tried to get on another flight but failed due to airports being packed. As a result he missed christmas celebration with family. His mom and sisters are pissed claiming I did this to get back at them and to isolate him from them. Al thinks I acted petty and vicious when I could've woke him up to go be with his family. He's still mad and is claiming that I ruined the holidays for him.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Piell posted:

AITA for not waking my husband up and causing him to miss his flight to attend christmas with his family?

quote:

His phone was away since he hates sleeping nearby elecronics.

:tinfoil:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Piell posted:

They forget to mention a single word indicating any type of affection or care for the husband, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Piell posted:

Wow, what a catch. I can’t fathom just being like “oh, my family doesn’t want my wife to visit. Guess I’ll just see her later.” Even without the layer of “you need to wake up to wake me up so I can go to a party without you”

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Horror_Business posted:

If all he was doing was teaching empathy, that'd be cool but this:

is some scared straight bullshit. Talk to the kid about what the kid is doing. Openly talking about your own struggles with addiction can play into that, but it's way more important to make sure the kid doesn't go full-on binge drinking than it is to make sure they never, ever do any drug because dad liked smack.

Yea it's a thing I need more info on to decide how I really feel about it I think. If it was just 'hey son today you're coming with me on my check-ins, you can help me get these guys some food and all and we'll talk to you about what addiction is like so you understand the risk you're taking' then it's probably fine but yea if it's just 'hey Jim tell the kid about how you sucked five dicks for drug money one night, alright later, don't wanna do that do you kid????' yea it's just DARE with slightly extra steps and won't do poo poo.

It's a bit rough I think, because like someone else said this isn't some balding hotdog necked cop going 'IF YOU LOOK AT A JOINT YOU'RE GONNA DIE' but rather someone who actually went through that poo poo and at least seems to be helping his local community and all so I like to think there's more a focus on empathy than fear, but at the same time hell if I caught one of my younger cousins going nutty I'd probably also say I want them 'scared' too if I felt it would keep them from loving their lives up too. Obviously in isolation just talking to goons online it's easy for me to say 'well obviously the answer is to teach them the dangers of OVER indulging in anything frankly, and make sure they understand the risks addiction can have but the idea that the only solution is a zero-tolerance style 'a teen smoking weed? THEY'RE GONNA gently caress THEIR LIVES UP' attitude is absurd', but yea I can see how when its your kid in reality it's hard to blame a former addict from going a bit hard in the 'no seriously you need to understand how this can gently caress you up'.

I guess at the end of the day I don't think he's an 'rear end in a top hat' and the bigger issue overall is his partner who seems to associate being unhoused and an addict with inherently being dangerous but yea I don't love 'and obviously the goal was to scare him' even if he did it 'better' than poo poo like DARE would. Or maybe I'm just a sap and want to give someone I empathize with the benefit of the doubt because I know how even when you've got addiction under control it can gently caress your mind up in other ways and I'd hope in a similar situation I could handle things well myself but am not 100% sure about that.

This sucks and makes me sad someone post someone's mother in law trying to set off a bomb at their wedding because she was told she couldn't wear a full bridal gown as well or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Gotta love the complete lack of self-awareness here

AITA for not sharing some of my sunscreen with my boyfriend?

quote:

My boyfriend (24M) and I (22M) went to the beach on 12/25, as it is common here, it happened to be a sunny day, so you could get a sunburn if you didn’t take some self-care measures.

Both my parents are dermatologists so my siblings and I are very aware of the importance of protecting your skin from sunburn and having a proper skincare routine, my bf on the other hand doesn’t give a sht about his skin, no matter how much my parents have tried to convince him to wear sunscreen he has never done it.

When we got to the beach I started putting on my sunscreen and he asked me to share some with him but I refused to share since it wouldn’t make sense to take care of your skin just once because he isn’t doing it again, plus my sunscreen is the one I wear on a daily basis, it’s meant to be personal. He got mad at me, I told him to wear a hoodie so he could minimize sunburns but he refused.

Long story short, he got sunburns, my bf’s skin was so red and felt hot to the touch and it was painful for him. He called me an AH for not sharing with him, he says he hasn’t forgiven me yet because it hurts and the sunburn hasn’t faded, my dad has seen him to get sunburn relief.

My dad calls me TA because “sharing some with him does cost nothing” but my mom says that this is a lesson for my bf since this is his own fault, my mom had gifted him a sunscreen but he decides not to use it.