Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure Judge Dreadful (aka Kieth) could manage it.

Lol. That was my login name for the Popbitch board back in the early 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kieth?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Not that edgy, if you ask moi.

Cat smoking tax

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Speaking of vibeo gaems as we were, here's some for you.

Yup, that's forty-two thousand american-money funbucks for a bunch of lovely-looking spaceships, most ripped-off from actual sci-fi properties, most of which are not and will never be in the game, and of the ones that are, they are just the first-pass and have mostly stopped development because it's too hard and they're incompetent. This piece of poo poo has been in development for over a decade and will never release, and is led by well-known piece of poo poo Chris Roberts, when he's not on vacation fifty weeks out of the year.

So don't feel bad about dropping £5 on an indie.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Souls games are absolutely not for everyone and it's rather annoying that people say that they are. I beat DS1 and enjoyed it, I started DS2 and it sucked, I got to the final boss of DS3 and couldn't beat him in the first session and then decided who gives a gently caress.

They're hard games, often deliberately dicking you over to increase difficulty. Cool. If you like it, go hog wild. Having played most of FromSoftware's catalogue, I've decided that their games are fun, but not mandatory to have an opinion on what is or isn't an acceptable level of difficulty.

DS2 just is very poo poo and deliberately cruel thoigh, in a way the others really aren't. Especially the Scholar version and its favourite trick, hiding enemies in nooks and crannies way above you so they can drop on you and take you by surprise. DS3 is still hard, but it's fair.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Speaking of vibeo gaems as we were, here's some for you.

Yup, that's forty-two thousand american-money funbucks for a bunch of lovely-looking spaceships, most ripped-off from actual sci-fi properties, most of which are not and will never be in the game, and of the ones that are, they are just the first-pass and have mostly stopped development because it's too hard and they're incompetent. This piece of poo poo has been in development for over a decade and will never release, and is led by well-known piece of poo poo Chris Roberts, when he's not on vacation fifty weeks out of the year.

So don't feel bad about dropping £5 on an indie.

Once this game dies (before full release) there are going to be quite a few suicides irl.

Disclaimer: i bought the £35 pack before "launch" and left it alone, playing an indefinite Alpha/Beta doesn't appeal to me. :shrug:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

I know it's late in the year, but cmon, put some effort in.

It's like two thirds shitposting, one third sincere.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Fun fact, demon's souls did start life as a failing Skyrim clone until Miyazaki stepped in, as it was deemed an already failed project he got free reign to do whatever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

Once this game dies (before full release) there are going to be quite a few suicides irl.

Nah, the ones who are in the deepest are all ancient greybeard grognards who will be dead long before the wheels come off.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

Fun fact, demon's souls did start life as a failing Skyrim clone until Miyazaki stepped in, as it was deemed an already failed project he got free reign to do whatever.

Truly a dark day for people who read posts about video games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

DS2 just is very poo poo and deliberately cruel thoigh, in a way the others really aren't. Especially the Scholar version and its favourite trick, hiding enemies in nooks and crannies way above you so they can drop on you and take you by surprise. DS3 is still hard, but it's fair.

I totally see the point about enemy placement (I've only played Scholar) and it does require you to approach areas a lot more methodically than DS1, but I somehow also found it really manageable and satisfying to work through. Even the Shrine of Amana, infamously a massive slog, just felt like a really satisfying challenge. I guess I just found it really fun to properly clear out the areas, like it's not just items you're hunting through the nooks and crannies for, it's the enemies as well, so every area has a really meaty feel to it in a different way to the others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

Scholar is legit my favourite dark souls lol.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mega Comrade posted:

Demon's Souls came out 2 years before Skyrim

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

Scholar is legit my favourite dark souls lol.

I do think it gets a bad rap thanks to some questionable decisions in the game’s first impressions.

It does that Japanese sequel thing like the Lost Levels where it assumes you’ve played the previous games at starts at a much higher skill floor than 1. One Estus and the interminably slow drink speed makes the early game way harder than it has to be, especially on a first playthrough where you don’t know the locations of the easily accessible shards off by heart.

Heide’s tower of flame is also in a really weird place where it’s absolutely brutal but doable, so if you go there as an experienced first timer you’ll probably have a miserable time (and it’s ridiculously easy to miss the entrance to the forest of fallen giants compared to the tower. It basically traps DS1 players the way the graveyard in DS1 can trap new players who assume the game is supposed to be this hard. Funny, but not fun.

Ultimately I came to love the game and it’s probably my second/third favourite after 1 and maybe BB, but goddamn it puts its worst foot forward right at the start.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Why do you think they failed to clone it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rarity posted:

I meant Oblivion.
In my head they are just skyrims now, not elder scrolls.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Angepain posted:

Why don't they make a light souls. Why's it got to be dark. I live in the uk my life is already grim darkness as it is

Ashen. You're uncovering a world after light returns.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

I meant Oblivion.
In my head they are just skyrims now, not elder scrolls.

No, you were right, soulslikes are skyrim clones. Thank you for clearing this up. I'm satisfied now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Soulslikes is an ancient Cypriot hero, Skyrim is the Hebrew plural form of Skyri, a Chinese fan brand. You've all been pronouncing them wrong.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skyrim is descended from the nordic for Yoghurt.

The biggest thing that made Soulslikes click for me was that you need to think about positioning. In Skyrim (assuming you got bored of stealth archery) you equip a greatsword, run up to a bunch of enemies after eating a bunch of cheese wheels, and swing wildly until everything is dead. As long as you put the basic paralyse effect on the greatsword, everything gets knocked down and you just keep swinging until everything dies.

If you do that in a soulslike, even basic undead will circle you and then stunlock you until you die. You have to make sure you're on the outside of the group and time your attacks, because unless you're poisetanking (very bad idea), you're going to end up getting poked to death. It feels more like a series of one-on-one duels.

There are other differences obviously, but that's the main difference to me between something like a soulslike and most other 3rd person melee games - in other games like Kingdoms of Amalur, Batman Arkham, or even Assassin's Creed, you can smash your way through groups, and ignore or dodge minor hits. With a soulslike, every hit matters because of the stagger, so you really can't afford to engage more than one enemy at a time.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Bit late on the physical games chat, but as a wee lad who spent their days on an Amiga, there was an unrivalled sense of awe every time I’d take a look in the Electronics Boutique at the weekend, seeing what was new for the miggy, and then gawping at the sheer size of the game boxes for PC titles. Just vast, giant things. Presumably with some novel-esque game manuals inside and 300 floppy disks (pre CD days).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Most people seem to understand not all games are for everyone but when it comes to the souls it's either "git gud" or "overhyped trash" grow up.
I don't think this is what you meant here, but this phrase sets me off because a lot of people use it as an accessibility dogwhistle. When I point out that I'm having difficulty experiencing the story of a game because my hands are hosed and i experience cognitive delay, a lot of people will say maybe game X "isn't for me," which is just a poo poo way of saying "I don't think this game should have to accommodate people who don't have full physical or mental capacity." And that's literally the problem that accessibility is talking about.

It's like how you can't get on a rollercoaster unless you are below a certain height, except for reaction speed or manual dexterity. Or I'm old enough to remember a long time ago the debates about whether public buildings should have to have diasabled access or not.

Again, I don't think that's what you meant but hearing that phrase always gets my back up a bit.

Good suggested further reading:
https://caniplaythat.com/2021/12/17/difficulty-in-video-games-is-accessibility/

https://www.eurogamer.net/why-dont-we-talk-more-about-cognitive-accessibility

Again this is something of a sore spot for me, because I love gaming, and it loving sucks on a whole other level to really be enjoying a game, and then just get to that one point you can't get past - especially when there's no difficulty to lower or accessibility options to switch.

There's a huge difference between getting pinned down in MW2's favela and realising you need to switch from hard to medium difficulty, and having a quicktime cutscene you literally cannot get past on any difficulty because your brain doesn't work that way.

I don't give a poo poo about getting the achievements or skins or whatever for hard mode, I just want to be able to finish the drat game somehow.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 29, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

andyf posted:

Presumably with some novel-esque game manuals inside and 300 floppy disks (pre CD days).

Totally. My 6-7 year old mind got blown reading the Elite story that came with the game that explained the game universe.
It was something about aliens having sweet smelling sweat which just had me agog.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's like page 3 of The Dark Wheel isn't it lol same.

Guessing that boxes were so big cos the pc market was so small, I'm trying to remember what was on the shelves in mainstream stores, like maybe some Sierras and a couple of Infocom boxes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Do you still have the disc for MW3? I lost mine, but have a hankering to try and play it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Boxes were for 5.5 inch floppies, and never really shrunk down for the 3.5 ones.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 29, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

That's like page 3 of The Dark Wheel isn't it lol same.

Guessing that boxes were so big cos the pc market was so small, I'm trying to remember what was on the shelves in mainstream stores, like maybe some Sierras and a couple of Infocom boxes.

Seeing that box on the shelf, asserting it's space in every dimension. Thick. Solid. How could people not choose it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think I spent quite a lot of my young life looking for Dungeon Keeper 2.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Boxes were for 5.5 inch floppies, and never really shrunk down for the 3.5 onces.
Most games made up for it by having an oversize A5 manual that gave you a bunch of backstory - I still have the old Elite gazetteers and the MW2 guide to the inner circle clans.

Except Doom 2, I was really excited to get that big ol' box for my birthday, and they basically just printed out the readme.txt in five languages.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Dungeon Keeper was a great game and I'm having great fun replaying it with KeeperFX. The AI actually does something.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

I think I spent quite a lot of my young life looking for Dungeon Keeper 2.

You would have found it if Game just had this one box inside:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Angrymog posted:

Ashen. You're uncovering a world after light returns.

This looks interesting, thanks!

I understand why people like some grim in their entertainment, of course, it's just that the extent of it in some things is Not For Me as far as I can tell. Though with all the Miyazaki talk I now want Hayao to design the next Dark Souls

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
From the torygraph:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Peace & Quiet == FOREIGNERS!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gwaint posted:

Dungeon Keeper was a great game and I'm having great fun replaying it with KeeperFX. The AI actually does something.

I will have to replay it at some point.

How is "peace and quiet" defined?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jippa posted:

From the torygraph:

It's like when good food magazine does reviews of local restaurants and 48 out of 50 of them are in the south

Northumberland being lower than any of the others on history and culture is loving embarrassing.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Wow, everything to three significant figures. Seems pretty scientific and unequivocal!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That many luxuries isn't very useful when only the first copy of each contributes any happiness

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Only Kindness posted:

Wow, everything to three significant figures. Seems pretty scientific and unequivocal!

I'm going to Cumbria where there are 127 peace and quiets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Imagine believing that torygraph readers give two shits about "Natural wonders" or History & culture".

Couldn't be me.

In fact, it all sounds qwhite made-up.