Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CMD598 posted:

...telling us it's supposed to be tossed after 1 hour.

This should be a mastable offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy4400nav posted:

When I joined the old squadron back in 2019, one of my first flights was an overnight burner and the crew was noooot enthusiastic at all about it. I decided to boost spirits and morale by bringing a bag of candy and another bag full of Bang energy drinks, which I thought were okay since we stocked them in our deployment geedunk. The crew were stoked, flight doc the next day was not...

I may have gotten a gentle talking to about CNAF regulations.

I memorized a lot of acronyms but CNAF is escaping me, and Duck Duck Go isn’t helping. Could you tell me what CNAF is and why energy drinks are a no go for (F-18?) aircrew?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I memorized a lot of acronyms but CNAF is escaping me, and Duck Duck Go isn’t helping. Could you tell me what CNAF is and why energy drinks are a no go for (F-18?) aircrew?

commander naval air forces

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
My limdu LPO was an AW instructor so I can confirm that no monster before a flight is a thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I recall seeing signs all over the refrigerators holding energy drinks at the commissary at Sigonella with warnings to air crew.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What, did energy drinks lead to the 35th annual Tailhook Association Symposium or something?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Crab Dad posted:

I recall seeing signs all over the refrigerators holding energy drinks at the commissary at Sigonella with warnings to air crew.

The idea of the Sigonella commissary actually having items people wanted is a foreign concept to me. Seeing what it looks like now (there are YouTube videos) versus what it looked like in the early 90s evoked thoughts of that "befuddled Jackie Chan" meme.

Of course, now there are Lidls nearby the base, whereas before if you wanted to hit up a decent grocery store you had to hit up Catania or Misterbianco.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

On subs you generally don't have room for a bunch of lovely consumable energy drinks

Depends on if it's local ops or deployment. I never wasted space on them on deployment. But I absolutely fit 36 cans into the rack on a 30 day underway and still had room for uniforms, underwear, and toiletries. Even with having to hot-rack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The idea of the Sigonella commissary actually having items people wanted is a foreign concept to me. Seeing what it looks like now (there are YouTube videos) versus what it looked like in the early 90s evoked thoughts of that "befuddled Jackie Chan" meme.

Of course, now there are Lidls nearby the base, whereas before if you wanted to hit up a decent grocery store you had to hit up Catania or Misterbianco.

This was back in 2020. I thought the produce was amazing and sent a photo back to my wife I still have on how nice it looked.

Aaaand then you had the front gate area. We were stuck in port for 2 weeks so we could go to base daily. I liked to use their showering faciltiies and just get away from the boat. There was a freshly dead cat in the gutter right by the pedestrian walkway. Still there at the end of the two weeks. Two months later when we returned shortly the poor thing was still partially there.
wtf groundskeepers is really that hard to grab a shovel and toss it under the bushes?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Energy drinks having a disgusting amount of caffeine and other weird rear end unregulated/untested ingredients slapped together by the food and beverage version of tech bros and some high profile cases of folks slamming energy drinks and having (and dying) cardiac episodes after physical activity. Navy decided that folks flying and operating in planes probably shouldn't drink potential heart attacks in a can prior to going into the sky.

Crab Dad posted:

This was back in 2020. I thought the produce was amazing and sent a photo back to my wife I still have on how nice it looked.

Aaaand then you had the front gate area. We were stuck in port for 2 weeks so we could go to base daily. I liked to use their showering faciltiies and just get away from the boat. There was a freshly dead cat in the gutter right by the pedestrian walkway. Still there at the end of the two weeks. Two months later when we returned shortly the poor thing was still partially there.
wtf groundskeepers is really that hard to grab a shovel and toss it under the bushes?

On NAS 2 we'd track the passage of time by how long the decomposing birds on the street would take to wither away. You'd also know when the pool had been cleaned since a new dead bird meant they'd put more chlorine in the water!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jimmy4400nav posted:

On NAS 2 we'd track the passage of time by how long the decomposing birds on the street would take to wither away. You'd also know when the pool had been cleaned since a new dead bird meant they'd put more chlorine in the water!

Evidently NAS 2 and the Marinai housing complex floods like a motherfucker* these days, so maybe they're just waiting until the flooding carries everything away.

* during prolonged rains, as there's nowhere for the water to go.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 28, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Fifty new posts in the Navy thread?! What the hell is going....

Oh. Coffee chat. Woooooo. :nallears:

Never drank the stuff. Energy drinks smell like puke. People still look at me funny whenever I tell them that. I made coffee once on my first ship as a newly minted CDO (it was a minesweeper), and I made it ridiculously strong because I had no idea what I was doing. A couple guys liked it. Most of the guys complained enough, I never had to do it again. :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AlternateNu posted:

I don’t think you understand.

Historian mark the evolution of maritime navigation by great events, in order:

Discovery of the magnetic compass
Discovery of the stern post rudder
Development of the chronometer
Discovery and distribution of coffee
Popularization of the shipping container
GPS

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Never drank the stuff. Energy drinks smell like puke. People still look at me funny whenever I tell them that. I made coffee once on my first ship as a newly minted CDO (it was a minesweeper), and I made it ridiculously strong because I had no idea what I was doing. A couple guys liked it. Most of the guys complained enough, I never had to do it again. :v:

A "I don't drink Coffee" comment is more self-indulgent and sad than an actual coffee chat.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A "I don't drink Coffee" comment is more self-indulgent and sad than an actual coffee chat.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Is ricky rocket ffuel still a thing in boot camp? Coffee and chocolate milk?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Being lactose intolerant I find it amusing how badly that would end up for me.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

King of Bees posted:

I learned about it from an old department head who was prior enlisted, but instead of milk it was the Swiss Miss hot chocolate packages so that it didn't dilute the coffee as much, stink up the rarely washed coffee mug (as bad), or trouble the tummies of crustacean comrades.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

When I was in boot camp in 97 it was coffee and Coca Cola.

I did not try it because it seemed vile.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
One of my idiot thirds swore by Gatorade and coffee. I'm just thankful for the control room espresso machine and my 0630 quiet time.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

piL posted:

I learned about it from an old department head who was prior enlisted, but instead of milk it was the Swiss Miss hot chocolate packages so that it didn't dilute the coffee as much, stink up the rarely washed coffee mug (as bad), or trouble the tummies of crustacean comrades.

I think the milk was to cool it enough to slam it down and get another

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

lightpole posted:

One of my idiot thirds swore by Gatorade and coffee. I'm just thankful for the control room espresso machine and my 0630 quiet time.

Wait USN ships have espresso machines?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Nystral posted:

Pay off the taggers and you can bring aboard and plug in anything you want.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nystral posted:

Reagan had a fake Starbucks staffed by sailors where you could order your sugar explosion beverages. Had the machines and syrups and everything

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

King of Bees posted:

I think the milk was to cool it enough to slam it down and get another

Ah, that's smart. UDT was never as rough on me as normal milk is anyway, but I was younger then.

Vriess posted:

Permanent alterations to the ship's structure requires NAVSEA approval, but underway, the Commanding Officer has authority to direct actions as necessary to meet the requirements of the ship including temporary installation of equipment. Imagine having to get NAVSEA approval to restore from battle damage or to reroute power to important combat systems or navigation equipment! Of course, realistically, the CO can't be expected to oversee every rewiring or every temporary bracket--so maybe they should delegate this authority to the Chief Engineer.

Add installation and removal to the getting underway and entering port checklists and I don't see why not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

piL posted:

Ah, that's smart. UDT was never as rough on me as normal milk is anyway, but I was younger then.

I'm not sure what a UDT was doing to your digestive system but it's probably a crazy story.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not sure what a UDT was doing to your digestive system but it's probably a crazy story.

What, you've never done a crossing the line ceremony before? :smuggo:

(I meant UHT)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nystral posted:

Merchant marine. Merchant marine gives not a single gently caress.

I had a combo tv / dvd player, brought it onboard in my suitcase, stole a drill and bolted it to the dresser. Not a single gently caress given.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought a TV in Dubai at the mall and brought it back for our shop lol

Worst part was having to degauss it every fuckin day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Merchant marine. Merchant marine gives not a single gently caress.

I had a combo tv / dvd player, brought it onboard in my suitcase, stole a drill and bolted it to the dresser. Not a single gently caress given.

The civilian crew for the scan eagles on our ship installed a 60 inch TV and sound system to play COD in their berthing. As they frequently bought the pizza and beer any given night nobody cared at all.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Laranzu posted:

Reagan had a fake Starbucks staffed by sailors where you could order your sugar explosion beverages. Had the machines and syrups and everything

Afaik all CVNs do, at least the three Ive been on.

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 29, 2022

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

CMD598 posted:

Afaik all CVNs do, at least the three Ive been on.

It was a brand new thing back in 2010 I guess. It was just installed iirc.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I ordered just an espresso while underway onboard the Truman and the sailors working the Navy Starbucks were just totally blown away that I wanted just a black shot of espresso, nothing else.

They couldn't even figure out how to ring it up correctly and only charged me .50 like it was an add on shot.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

The civilian crew for the scan eagles on our ship installed a 60 inch TV and sound system to play COD in their berthing. As they frequently bought the pizza and beer any given night nobody cared at all.

I’ve seen people have pizza delivered to the river Pilot station. Basket fulls of rotisserie chicken with the provision hoisting. Christmas lights over the unloading booms.

All these memories… lost like cells in the spreadsheet. Time to log in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vriess posted:

We had a commercial Bunn 1.5 gallon square body autobrewer installed aft of maneuvering for the engineering team, I don't think it was original to the boat. Was fed from the vital 115Vac and not included on any of the lists of things to kill power too in emergencies. It's mount also looked like someone at Portsmouth found a lot of angle iron and a willing welder. It was positioned beautifully though.

Granted we had a lot of other modifications, both official and not, due to being one of the final boats of the class.

We also had a whole separate unclass lan set up in the shack for a movie share drive, there were cables in the overhead of berthing you could uncoil and plug into, as well as permeant drops on the mess deck, chiefs quarters, and wardroom.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 29, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This is going to end up like the Margarita Machine thread from back in the day and I am totally here for it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I was working on an oil rig in the North sea where the chief engineer managed to blow himself up, blacking the rig out totally including the standby generator.

The only things left working were ballast control and the kettle and TV in my workshop showing MTV. This did not pass unnoticed in the enquiry following. :toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Burt posted:

The only things left working were ballast control and the kettle and TV in my workshop showing MTV. This did not pass unnoticed in the enquiry following. :toot:

:munch:

So the really, really critical poo poo stayed on :sun:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I got an ET1 to sign off and tag a wireless router and I'd put them in berthing to create a wireless LAN so people could boot up their laptops in their racks and play games together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Laranzu posted:

USS Enterprise had one and it made enough money across two deployments that when we finally decommissioned they had enough money left over that they were covering 90% of your entertainment expenses (Concert tickets, movies, etc...) up to $500 a month for a good while.