Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

abelwingnut posted:

why would the activision vs blizzard drama affect sony's schedule for announcements?

They're pulling their pockets out of their pants saying look we got nothing without cod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

JBP posted:

They're pulling their pockets out of their pants saying look we got nothing without cod

In that genre no one has anything except COD, sales wise.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This is sounding like "console shortages at launch are intentional because it generates headlines" logic. Sony pretending there are no upcoming exclusives worth buying a PS5 for would be an oddly foot-shooty way to protect the brand. AFAIK their argument for blocking the deal has nothing to do with the size of the PS5 library, it's that COD is a unique multi-platform juggernaut with no equivalent anywhere. They've pointed at Battlefield as evidence of how difficult it would be to make a viable competitor if MS decided to keep it off Playstation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BitBasher posted:

In that genre no one has anything except COD, sales wise.

Fortnite makes more money unless we are talking FPS and not shooters in general.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

acksplode posted:

This is sounding like "console shortages at launch are intentional because it generates headlines" logic. Sony pretending there are no upcoming exclusives worth buying a PS5 for would be an oddly foot-shooty way to protect the brand. AFAIK their argument for blocking the deal has nothing to do with the size of the PS5 library, it's that COD is a unique multi-platform juggernaut with no equivalent anywhere. They've pointed at Battlefield as evidence of how difficult it would be to make a viable competitor if MS decided to keep it off Playstation.

Bluepoint and Bungie are making a fps cod killer together you will regret your words and deeds

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mr Hootington posted:

Fortnite makes more money unless we are talking FPS and not shooters in general.

Fortinte is not in the same genre at all in my opinion. Multiplayer military shooters? There used to be maybe Battlefield, and COD sold 5x it's numbers then it poo poo the bed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

I don't think it's a big strategy or whatever, but sources were suggesting that they originally had a showcase that was delayed from late fall to whenever because of the acti-blizz scrutiny, but Sony is already famously cagey about announcing new things before other big titles release (ie God of War) in order to not undercut their own sales, and this goes for contracted employees down the chain, hence why ND has barely said anything about Factions 2 for years even though it's the worst kept secret in the industry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the secret is factions 2 isn’t coming out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's on the same farm as the Bloodborne remaster and MGS 1-3 rerelease where they can run and play in the sun all day.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

exquisite tea posted:

It's on the same farm as the Bloodborne remaster and MGS 1-3 rerelease where they can run and play in the sun all day.

Our time in the sun will come

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I do not like this new line of inquiry at all :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

polygon did another annual review of ps+ month to month for 2022

https://www.polygon.com/23527733/playstation-ps-plus-essential-free-games-list-2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

acksplode posted:

There were rumours that they were going to cancel the 2022 Playstation Showcase specifically because they didn't want to undermine their anti-exclusivity stance to regulators by announcing a bunch of exclusives, and then they really did cancel it, so it's not like it's a big stretch.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Despite all of their jank, Bethesda games have the longest legs of any games out there. Personally I play them once, maybe 5 years later I'll play one of them again. I always skip half the side stuff too. But there are people out there that play them for like, 1000s hours and on Bethesda's end, time wasting stuff like base building and multiplayer is another thing that should keep players buying and playing their games for longer. Problem with FO76 (beyond the terrible launch) is that most people let out a collective groan at another MP game when they just wanted FO5 or ES6.

That said, I think both FO76 and ESO are actually pretty popular. Just not popular here on the forums, and I don't think the fans of their SP and MP stuff has a ton of crossover.

Bethesda games are cozy gaming for me. You know exactly what you’re going to get and that’s nice.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Bethesda games are cozy gaming for me. You know exactly what you’re going to get and that’s nice.

Yeah. I spent many hours in Fallout 76 and it's definitely comfort gaming for me. Just explore a huge, weird atmospheric world, gather stuff and gear and level up, shoot weird monsters, build your own custom base. It's good.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Volte posted:

There were rumours that they were going to cancel the 2022 Playstation Showcase specifically because they didn't want to undermine their anti-exclusivity stance to regulators by announcing a bunch of exclusives, and then they really did cancel it, so it's not like it's a big stretch.

Since then Sony has announced a bunch of exclusives for PSVR2. Doesn't add up.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what are these "Faction" games you guys are talking about? Frog Factions?

Ive never heard of them before

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Skeezy posted:

:yeah:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

TLOU has a beloved multiplayer mode called Factions, and there was much wailing when it was dropped from TLOU2. But Naughty Dog promised and Sony confirmed that Factions 2 will appear as a standalone game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think people are forgetting that horizon fw will have a decently sized expansion coming out next spring too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm looking forward to more info on the multiplayer, too.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

acksplode posted:

Since then Sony has announced a bunch of exclusives for PSVR2. Doesn't add up.
When did they announce anything specific for PSVR2 after October? I can't find anything and haven't heard anything. The way they're handling the Microsoft situation I absolutely believe that they thought fanfare about exclusives would undermine their point.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Volte posted:

When did they announce anything specific for PSVR2 after October? I can't find anything and haven't heard anything. The way they're handling the Microsoft situation I absolutely believe that they thought fanfare about exclusives would undermine their point.

The launch lineup got unveiled in November. https://blog.playstation.com/2022/1...squad-and-more/ There have been a few more announcements since then. Some games are on PC but some are PSVR2 exclusive: Switchback, Moss, the VR modes for RE8 and RE4, etc.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

acksplode posted:

The launch lineup got unveiled in November. https://blog.playstation.com/2022/1...squad-and-more/ There have been a few more announcements since then. Some games are on PC but some are PSVR2 exclusive: Switchback, Moss, the VR modes for RE8 and RE4, etc.
Weird, I couldn't find that blog post on Google even by searching directly for it. I could only find articles on other sites from later dates basically saying "here are some games we know are coming but we don't know the launch lineup yet". Anyway, the contention was mostly over first-party exclusives. None of those are Sony studios so it's not like they could keep the lid on them if they wanted to. The theory is that Sony didn't want to announce a new slate of first-party exclusives at the same time they're lodging complaints against the prospect of Microsoft doing the same thing while saying that they can't survive without Call of Duty, a game Microsoft claims to have no interest in making exclusive. If anything having nothing but a few non-notable third-party VR games on the roster only serves to make them look more like the underdog. I dunno, it doesn't seem like a reach at all to me give Sony's tactics in this fight thus far.

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 29, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally got Elden Ring in the mail and while I haven't played it yet I was shocked that the install is around 50 GB, same as the Witcher 3

I'm so used to every single AAA game being 100+ GB these days that I'm starting to think Ubisoft isn't just bad at making games but bad at optimizing them also

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Elden Ring has less graphical detail and more asset reuse than your typical current gen open world AAA game, but you don't notice it because the art direction and gameplay are so sick.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thought I'd try No Man's Sky, gently caress me what a dreadfully dull game. I can't imagine how much worse it must have been when it launched.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I thought the same thing! Figured I liked Subnautica and I haven’t checked out no man’s sky since launch and it’s on game pass so what the heck I’ll give it a shot. Maybe I was too high, or not high enough to be entertained by the mining and scanning. It’s no Dragon Quest Builders

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Just saw Avatar 2, but accidently saw it in HFR where random scenes and shots throughout the whole movie alternate, sometimes very quckly, between 24fps and 48fps. James Cameron made frame drops a cinematic experience.

No one seemed to mind tho, there was no puking, no calls about frame pacing, noone was showing me yt videos with frame data, no multi page posts demanding a performance patch. Thats when i realized i was in a theatre full of proud ps3 owners. :japan:

Kutaragi guide us

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I've seen it in both HFR and standard 24fps now. The strobing in 3D during some of the action scenes was really bad in 24fps, but the alternating framerates were distracting in HFR. I don't really know what my preference is.

I wish the whole thing had been in HFR. Cameron is trying to avoid the soap opera effect, but I'm not sure that effect really registers with animation anyway. Like, the Will Smith HFR movie looked like trash, but I'm playing TLOU2 at 60fps and none of that bugs me. The live-action characters are such a small part of Avatar 2 that having their brief appearances look soap opera-ish would be less intrusive than the playback switching.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/movie-game-review/

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bugblatter posted:

I've seen it in both HFR and standard 24fps now. The strobing in 3D during some of the action scenes was really bad in 24fps, but the alternating framerates were distracting in HFR. I don't really know what my preference is.

I wish the whole thing had been in HFR. Cameron is trying to avoid the soap opera effect, but I'm not sure that effect really registers with animation anyway. Like, the Will Smith HFR movie looked like trash, but I'm playing TLOU2 at 60fps and none of that bugs me. The live-action characters are such a small part of Avatar 2 that having their brief appearances look soap opera-ish would be less intrusive than the playback switching.

I really hope the Blu-ray let’s you watch it at 48fps locked cause yeah some scenes changed way too quickly and it was distracting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First time something from the front page has made me laugh in ages. Although I guess it was in fact, written ages ago.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Famitu Ueda says he'll be unveiling his next project next year. So we should be able to play it sometime in 2033.

veni veni veni posted:

First time something from the front page has made me laugh in ages. Although I guess it was in fact, written ages ago.

I think it's the only front-page article that has ever registered in my memory at all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I really hope the Blu-ray let’s you watch it at 48fps locked cause yeah some scenes changed way too quickly and it was distracting.

Wait so is this why in some scenes it looked like the rendering couldn’t keep up at 60fps and it just chugged for a few seconds? It seemed like big busy scenes and I guess I thought about it all akin to a video card output issue lol. I didn’t know they purposefully switched frame rates for scenes.

Movie was way better than my family and I expected though! loving long, I think act 2 drags in a really middling pace type way and that makes the movie feel longer than it should feel. But the last act of the movie was insane. And man some of the emotions conveyed on their faces were so drat good we teared up a bit in the end. Really impressive they’ve been able to push cgi mo-cap faces to that level of fidelity.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I got a £50 amazon voucher from my boss and decided to spend it on GT7, as its a game I've wanted but not really fancied spending lots of money on.

Thoughts :

It is so pretty, so shiny. Although in my head all GTs have looked like this, since at least GT4.

Having no load times makes the experience super slick, it's lovely.

The sound design rocks, engines sound awesome, and I love the engine clinking sound after you finish a race.

The soundtrack sucks, but who cares.

The whole café thing is just SO dorky, but endearingly so.

I hope I can unlock more tracks soon. They're really drip feeding it atm. I don't want to have to play for 50hrs before I unlock deep forest.

Same with the cars. Atm all I have are winnables and the used sales room.

I never thought I would spend so much time poring lovingly over the interiors of Japanese compact cars which aren't even available in the UK.

Game good.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait so is this why in some scenes it looked like the rendering couldn’t keep up at 60fps and it just chugged for a few seconds? It seemed like big busy scenes and I guess I thought about it all akin to a video card output issue lol. I didn’t know they purposefully switched frame rates for scenes.

Yeah that was a stylistic choice by Mr. Cameron to help eliminate strobing effects when there’s fast action with 3D by doubling the frame rate (HFR). He sort of wanted the best of both worlds, but maybe there needed to be some blended transition moments…or maybe he did that and I didn’t notice? I need to see it again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1608517217984864256?t=SyMWMtRf60Y_TXl3-IvbkA&s=19

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Silent Hill: the short message has been rated again this time in taiwan

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/12/silent-hill-the-short-message-rated-for-ps5-in-taiwan

Short message is the first person thing/demo for shf that has had screenshots leak from it for ages, it was rated in korea just before the silent hill showcase and it was the one thing that wasnt shown with the other 5 silent hill games lol.

It being rated again means its still coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Frog Factions is the Lego Fortnite clone coming out this year