Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
the recent "remake every good game from your childhood" trend sucks imo. if i wanted to play these old games i would play them. i could understand like hd remasters or ports to modern systems, but remaking everything from scratch is just a waste of effort.

most of these beloved classics aren't even that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A good chrono trigger remake is an impossible problem to solve, just as a good ff7 remake was an impossible problem to solve. You're going to please almost no one no matter what you do, you'll make a lot of money but you'll burn a lot of customer good will in the process. Even the people who claim they just want updated graphics will ultimately become upset as their rosy childhood memories become tainted by the harsh light of 20 years of experience shining onto a 30 year-old design

The fact that it's an impossible problem to solve doesn't change whether or not it gets made obviously, FF7R obviously came out. But it was poo poo and a chrono trigger remake will also be poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't even know why Capcom keeps calling their games Resident Evil, what's the point? The gameplay in the newer games is completely distinct from the older games, there's almost nothing left. No one gives a poo poo about your ongoing story, call it something else you dweebs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

I mean yea, all people would want from a DX 'remake' would be better gfx on a smoother engine than UT'99, and maybe some tuned cybernetics. The missions, plot, characters, voice acting, and general gameplay vibe are all fine. If you really stretched you could change gunplay somehow, but that's iffy.

Just go make a new DX game, it'll sell like hotcakes after the cliffhanger the last one ended on, and you get a carte blanche for most everything.

Deus ex is actually really lovely in almost every way and the fact that it is still a legit great is kind of baffling

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Like I do think it's a great game it's just great in spite of all its elements

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

the recent "remake every good game from your childhood" trend sucks imo. if i wanted to play these old games i would play them. i could understand like hd remasters or ports to modern systems, but remaking everything from scratch is just a waste of effort.

most of these beloved classics aren't even that good

I think gaming has evolved so much that there are whole new audiences that just aren't aware of these old genres that have long fallen out of favour. Is it worth playing that Crash Bandicoot remake without the nostalgia? Debatable, but it did lead to Crash 4 which is a great modern take on the formula. While FF7R is entirely just a retread of a quarter century old game told at a glacial pace, I think it really has revitalized JRPGs in a big way. I think by cashing in on that nostalgia they are widening the net on what might be considered "marketable" by publishers.

Also, emulation and videogame history is still kind of a niche hobby/interest. I think that introducing new audiences to these old (albeit, often crappy) genres and IPs is valuable in of itself just because I think there is good stuff there that should be seen by more people.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

sebmojo posted:

Deus ex is actually really lovely in almost every way and the fact that it is still a legit great is kind of baffling

A lot of that is the engine imo, trying to make a stealth game and realistic office settings in modified UE1 resulted in a lot of clop-clop-clop. Like if you 'remade' it nowadays, what actually needs to be thrown out instead of merely being tweaked or prettied up?

It's nowhere near dated enough to need a remaster.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The deus ex shooting is floaty and awful especially if the idea is that you're a cybernetic super-agent but you take 5 seconds to aim a pistol.

And then fanboys will go "you're not supposed to be shooting"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its a great game for 12 year olds, there's no reason to change the gameplay, just give the modern 12 year olds some better graphics instead of expecting them to appreciate the pixels of your youth. I loved it at that age and it doesn't really need to be overcomplicated or made to appeal to grumpy 36 year olds.

Chrono Trigger is a good game because it introduced me to a bunch of concepts I had never been exposed to before. Stuff like deep time, theory of Atlantis, and cosmic horror. It was amazing because as a 12 year old child these were new and big concepts.

Remaking the game to appeal to 40 year old manchildren isn't going to have the same charm. You can't be introduced to cosmic horror for the first time twice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

but they can bring back some of the other core chrono trigger concepts that are truly timeless, like the thrill of stealing a sandwich

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Panzeh posted:

The deus ex shooting is floaty and awful especially if the idea is that you're a cybernetic super-agent but you take 5 seconds to aim a pistol.

And then fanboys will go "you're not supposed to be shooting"

Aw yeah arguing about imaginary games with imaginary people.

Here I made video for you, in which I add skill points into weapon skills and start blasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkWSDTpkk0

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vic posted:

Here I made video for you, in which I add skill points into weapon skills and start blasting.

lmao

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vic posted:

Yeah the shooting in this still looks like poo poo.

Theres a lot of good things about Deus Ex but the action is completely trash, even by the standards of the time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I mean it looks like poo poo because the enemies have a single animation and death sound, the rifle has a silencer installed, the view bob is disabled etc. The animation in DX is super basic. If you look at System Shock 2, it's the same thing.

But you absolutely can play a robocop with perfect aim, which is the whole point of the RPG mechanic. Nothing floaty about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i refuse to try vampire suvivors because "game that everyone won't shut the gently caress up about" is my least favorite genre

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vic posted:

I mean it looks like poo poo

Concur

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vic posted:

get em!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

precision posted:

i refuse to try vampire suvivors because "game that everyone won't shut the gently caress up about" is my least favorite genre

Lol, this is exactly how i feel about Rick and Morty. It’s probably pretty good, but I’m petty enough to refuse to try it just to spite all of its fans.

E: i have an original retail box of Deus Ex somewhere in my basement. It’s probably in excellent shape. I wonder if I could run it on my Win 10 machine?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 29, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't realy remember shooting anybody in deus ex

i mean like one time there was an Agent Smith i had to get around i think and i shot a rocket launcher at him

i think i remember using a sword a bit? or maybe that was in Deus 3X :shrug:

anyway i only played Deus Ex once literaly like 21 years ago and i still remember it fondly so im gonna go out on a limb and say it might have been a pretty okay video jame

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I genuinely loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution and thought it was a more than worthy follow up

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

precision posted:

This is why I will never play a Monster Hunter, a Soulslike or use Twitter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skulker posted:

This is why I will never play a Monster Hunter, a Soulslike or use Twitter.

Two of these are very wise decisions

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

precision posted:

i refuse to try Disco Elysium because "game that everyone won't shut the gently caress up about" is my least favorite genre

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I love Deus Ex and its prequals are good games, but I think the franchise can be scrapped. They've already made a sequel that was both bad and wrapped the story up (if the original didn't do that enough), and the prequels are hopelessly lost in some muddled story that nobody played where everyone already knows that the end is the first Deus Ex.

Developers should be less beholden to franchises and just create brand new games in the theme of the old games. The 'Souls' games do this to great effect, there are only 3 Dark Souls games but a bunch of other great games that aren't dragged down by having to fit in to a series.

IMO the Deus Ex prequels already should have taken the 'in the spirit of' approach since they shared so little stylistically. The story ties were pretty uninteresting and just made it so we already knew how things would end up. Settings go stale and making new ones is okay, I'll buy them.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

precision posted:

i don't realy remember shooting anybody in deus ex

i mean like one time there was an Agent Smith i had to get around i think and i shot a rocket launcher at him

i think i remember using a sword a bit? or maybe that was in Deus 3X :shrug:

anyway i only played Deus Ex once literaly like 21 years ago and i still remember it fondly so im gonna go out on a limb and say it might have been a pretty okay video jame

Yeah same, I barely remember the game but I recall enjoying it. Probably a lot of old games in that category.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
when i played Deus Ex the simulation was so excellent i was able to swim away from liberty island and get a civilian job as a cab driver in future new york. i didnt kill anyone but i did learn some valuable lessons about family. 10/10

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I genuinely loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution and thought it was a more than worthy follow up

Not an unpopular opinion.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Nintendo Switch is bad

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Did we cover Callisto Protocol yet? I liked it but if it had been any longer that like would have quickly morphed into boredom (looking at you Last of Us 2). It felt like a very pretty and glorified shooter on rails. Thank god they patched in the “skip your death scene” thing. The first time a robot crushed my head it was awesome. The 6th time of having sit through the animation to try again was meh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Deus ex came out right before Majestic, I miss the illuminati Renaissance

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Orange Cat posted:

Did we cover Callisto Protocol yet? I liked it but if it had been any longer that like would have quickly morphed into boredom (looking at you Last of Us 2). It felt like a very pretty and glorified shooter on rails. Thank god they patched in the “skip your death scene” thing. The first time a robot crushed my head it was awesome. The 6th time of having sit through the animation to try again was meh.

From everything I've seen/read about Callisto Protocol, it seems like a serious letdown. I was ready to buy it full price if it were good :sigh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

The Nintendo Switch isn't bad

fixed that for you :twisted:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

fixed that for you :twisted:

are you under the age of 12

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I finally got a switch in 2022 because I swore to never spend money on one but then I found a dude on marketplace who traded me his switch for a couple snes and ps games.

The switch is in fact bad and the only games I got it for were Kirby, odyssey and paper Mario plus the LA remake.

Being that I have a wiiu, I've played all the other "must play" switch games on that years ago.

It's a loving Nvidia shield from 2012 and they still somehow cost like 250 bucks in 2022. Seriously pisses me off. gently caress you Nintendo. 3ds is a way better portable and literally anything is a way better set top console. Lmao at smtv frame rates, as just one single example.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I finally got a switch in 2022 because I swore to never spend money on one but then I found a dude on marketplace who traded me his switch for a couple snes and ps games.

The switch is in fact bad and the only games I got it for were Kirby, odyssey and paper Mario plus the LA remake.

Being that I have a wiiu, I've played all the other "must play" switch games on that years ago.

It's a loving Nvidia shield from 2012 and they still somehow cost like 250 bucks in 2022. Seriously pisses me off. gently caress you Nintendo. 3ds is a way better portable and literally anything is a way better set top console. Lmao at smtv frame rates, as just one single example.

basically this ☝️

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Also I finished botw (on the wiiu, only finished it cuz I broke my goddamned foot and can't walk) and I'd like to reaffirm my previously stated belief that it's at best a mediocre game. Really hope they make totk better. Like maybe with some dungeons. Or literally anything to make playing it worthwhile

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BOTW is insanely loving bad. Nintendorks had never experienced an open world game before lol

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

you can just emulate switch games on PC

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The best part of botw is that it reinvigorated my desire to play actual Zelda games so I'm running through all the ones I missed like minish cap and ww. When it came out I hated ww for the sailing and how empty the world was but compared to botw now it doesn't look so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Vic posted:

gently caress me, I had no idea you can shoot the alarm buttons. :psyduck: