Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless Tesla start breaking down or a lot more people start dying in them I don't think their brand is irreparably damaged. Volvo has been trading on those criteria since at least the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Unless Tesla start breaking down or a lot more people start dying in them I don't think their brand is irreparably damaged. Volvo has been trading on those criteria since at least the 70s

Hadlock, months before Tesla hits $40.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah, Tesla stock price still has further to fall

People will continue to buy teslas though, there's not a lot of actually good electric vehicles out there that aren't the taycan

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Oh yeah, Tesla stock price still has further to fall

People will continue to buy teslas though, there's not a lot of actually good electric vehicles out there that aren't the taycan

The Ioniq was the SUV of the year, no? Other manufacturers are catching up quick and they have much better build quality. Plus, they’re not teslas, so they got that going for them, which is good

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Everyone ready for their end of year reports?

I was promised a santa claus rally, and I'm afraid instead I'm gonna be finishing the year in the red. poo poo year from start to end.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tesla has a huge amount of consumer momentum imo. They are very high performance, they have great range, they have the supercharger fast charging network which is completely unmatched by competitors as of yet. They have a big cool factor (though this will definitely have been blunted by musk's asshattery). And they give the impression that they are pushing the boundaries of what a car can do, in a way no one else is yet.

Which is not to say that they don't have significant issues in some areas but there is a reason their sales figures are so strong (as I understand it).

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Teslas all look boring as gently caress on the outside because they are still using the same design language (and the model is essentially the same outside) they started selling a decade ago.

Inside they are even worse.

The competition right now has some awesome cars that actually look cool as gently caress and have decent interiors. The only thing Tesla has going for it is the charging network and class leading (for now) average range. Those things aren't cool. Those things are practical. Tesla makes boring cars.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Best bet this year for me was TBT calls.

I sold most of my trash tech PLTR specifically. I was green only because of TBT, I did a lot less trading in general.

I have no great thesis for 2023 yet. I think overvalued equities like TSLA will continue to decline. Any company that doesn't have good management will suffer the most and there will be a ton of volatility in commodities in general.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
could somebody tldr me on what in the gently caress they are talking about over at /r/superstonk. It doesn't have to make sense, I have just tried to see like a short summary of what they're talking about and nothing is less than 5k schizo-drivel. All I can gather is that somebody is doing the most illegalest thing in the world, you should direct register your gamestop shares and that we are in the end game, for real this time

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:sax: but stocks

When did they change the smilie for kyoon???

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

bollig posted:

could somebody tldr me on what in the gently caress they are talking about over at /r/superstonk. It doesn't have to make sense, I have just tried to see like a short summary of what they're talking about and nothing is less than 5k schizo-drivel. All I can gather is that somebody is doing the most illegalest thing in the world, you should direct register your gamestop shares and that we are in the end game, for real this time

https://www.thestreet.com/memestocks/gme/gamestop-stock-71-3-million-shares-directly-transferred-to-transfer-agent

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

bollig posted:

Its QAnin, but for stocks. Trying to make sense of that kind of crazy is only going to make your head hurt.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"We sucker-punched Mike Tyson and he's been beating us silly ever since. However... what if we stay in the ring and he punches us so much he tires out? That's a real boxing strategy, right? And then we'll beat HIS rear end! We'll be invincible!"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They think that all the hedge funds still have giant short positions against the stock and that they can get another, even bigger short squeeze to happen.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Space Fish posted:

"We sucker-punched Mike Tyson and he's been beating us silly ever since. However... what if we stay in the ring and he punches us so much he tires out? That's a real boxing strategy, right? And then we'll beat HIS rear end! We'll be invincible!"

Isn’t that actually what Muhammad Ali did vs Joe Frazier?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn’t that actually what Muhammad Ali did vs Joe Frazier?

Yeah but against George Foreman ("The Rumble in the Jungle").

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah but against George Foreman ("The Rumble in the Jungle").

Okay. But in no universe is Wall Street Bets the Muhammed Ali of anything.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

pseudanonymous posted:

Okay. But in no universe is Wall Street Bets the Muhammed Ali of anything.

Maybe hosed-up-by-Parkinson’s Muhammed Ali

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Every stock hit the top of the 4 hour channel ar once
Sussy

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Hope everyone had a good trading year. This market has been brutal.

Results:
+22% roughly

Biggest winners:
UVXY and VIX
Tactical selling of uvxy and vix calls in a year with major vol underperformance and very few scares

Biggest losers:
GOOG: didn’t stick to my rules, didn’t let the shares go at my price to cut losses.
SPY: hedging costs money

2023:
Tbill ladder and sell options against that collateral
Gamble less
Add to winners
Don’t try to fade trends without any signal, technical or otherwise
Gamble less

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

Pastrami posted:

Tbill ladder and sell options against that collateral

Been considering this, what platform do you use and how does the collateral work?

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
TD Ameritrade. Tbills are basically like cash (99% margin). I do a ladder of 8w, 3 month, and 6 month bills

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/eddiedonmez/status/1608870013930459137?s=20

nice collection of investment bank 2023 outlooks, in reply @ tweet. he links to posts of his on linkedin and from there you can download PDFs.

you know, to see how wrong they all are 252 trading days from now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty interesting graph from blackrock

Most everyone is on board with the idea that we're in a supply constrained inflationary period, likely due to covid; that green dashed line sort of represents when they think the economy will be ready to supply demand again. I don't have access to a straight edge but looks like 2027 or maybe even 2030

I guess I'm not super surprised, it's going to take a while for new young people to enter the workforce, but that's the first time I've seen that future supply graph spelled out so clearly. I was expecting the economy to reach some semblance of normalcy closer to 2025

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Let's talk about 2022!

BENCHMARKS

It was a pretty brutal year out there.
  • S&P 500: -19.4%
  • Nasdaq: -33.1%
  • Russell 2000: -21.6%
  • Vanguard Total Bond Market: -12.8%
  • Bitcoin: -65.0%
HOW I DID
  • IRA: -16.3%
  • Speculation account: +16.1%
My IRA is largely boring index funds, and basically tracked the S&P.

The speculative account is where I do stock picking and swing trades. From a risk-adjusted perspective I did well, at least compared to the rest of the market this year:
  • Sharpe ratio: 0.53
  • Sortino ratio: 0.74

You can see how I really cut back on my risk exposure around Labor Day.

WHAT WORKED
  • Metallurgical resources. My single best theme of the year was steel-making resources, in particular coke. Arch Resources (ARCH) and Alpha Metallurgical Resources (AMR) were trades I put on near the end of 2021, and they paid off well this past year: ARCH is up >50% and paid $25.00 in dividends this year; AMR more than doubled. (Unfortunately for me I had a LOT more ARCH than I did AMR, though I guess I shouldn't complain.) I legged out of these positions starting in the summer and am now out of both entirely. But the valuations are still really attractive. If coke prices hold up these are screaming buys... though if we see a large Chinese recession watch out below.
  • Energy. It seemed clear that there'd be a pretty strong bid for BTUs in general (oil, gas, etc.) by March. I didn't do anything too fancy here, just stuck to ETFs and a few smaller plays I felt comfortable with (like DK, a refiner, and AMPY, a small California producer with some problems). Good returns here. Energy was the best performing sector in 2022.
  • Series I bonds. No big surprise, everyone loves these things at the moment. But they've worked (as an alternative to short-term CDs or Treasurys) for a long time now, and they worked exceedingly well this year.
  • SPAC liquidations. A pre-merger SPAC is, if you squint just right, a zero-coupon bond plus an option to buy a (likely terrible) company attached. They are also despised in 2022, and justifiably so. But the zero-coupon bond part of a SPAC is extremely safe--I've never heard of a SPAC trust failing--and as of the second half of this year some of the yields you could get on these were really juicy, if you didn't mind poring through SEC filings and getting familiar with your broker's corporate actions department. But it isn't worth the trouble unless you can do it in size, and from what I'm seeing a lot of the excess spread came out of these trades in the last few weeks. Still something to keep an eye on though...
WHAT DIDN'T
  • Russia. At the beginning of 2022, you could make a case that Russian natural resource stocks were horribly undervalued and would benefit from inflation. Things like Gazprom were trading at P/Es of under four, and the "E" part of that ratio would be rising substantially. And then Russia invaded Ukraine. Cheap Russian stocks got cheaper, and then totally untradeable in the West. I owned Gazprom (OGZPY) and Norilsk Nickel (NILSY), and ended up taking ~70% losses on them. At least I sold before it became impossible.
  • Tech. I sure liked Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM) at 110, and I loved it at 100! It now trades at 75. I'd also been taking a beating on my core AAPL position, but I hedged it with a zero-cost collar in the autumn and it cannot hurt me any more.
  • Indecision. I had a number of (in retrospect) good trade ideas that I just was too gun-shy to execute. There was a ton of meat on the TWTR bone, even a week or two before that deal closed (it was clear that it would at that point), but I let it go. I also really liked the 2s10s steepener trade this fall but got too nervous about fiddling with futures specs and ratios to put it on. Crude oil below $75 a barrel would've worked well several times over the last few weeks but I just never pulled the trigger.
OUTLOOK FOR 2023

I'm probably going to play it safe in 2023. I am vaguely bearish on the macro but if the US sees a recession this year, it will probably be mild. As usual I wish I had better insight into what's going on in China, because by sheer size they're increasingly in the driver's seat.

As I see it stocks are fairly valued to somewhat overvalued; expected volatility seems neither too high nor too low; I'd expect the Fed to continue raising short term rates so long as nothing breaks in the meantime.

I do think that long-term bonds look overpriced here. Shorting TLT (for example) at the beginning of 2022 would've been a fantastic trade, and I suspect it will still do well in 2023. The industrialized world has likely broken out of its liquidity trap dating from 2008 and long-term rates will likely start heading back to their long-term averages. So, mark this one down to laugh at me later if it's wrong: short TLT here at $99.56 and we'll see how it did at the end of 2023.

Good luck to everyone this coming year!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

So basically my stocks that are currently in the red are likely going to take forever to recover?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

So basically my stocks that are currently in the red are likely going to take forever to recover?

They might not ever! Take a look at the CSCO max chart

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nortel's another cautionary one. In the summer of 2000, the company's market cap was so high that it constituted something like 35% of the entire Canadian market. Within two years, the stock had dropped from C$124 to C$0.47 per share.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
If you guys are talking CSCO and Nortel, don't forget Lucent!

Amazing how the big three *all* went in the shitter. The same business model I believe, giving away the equipment for little to nothing up front, then never getting paid.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
401k (boring index funds): -9.4%
IRA (actively traded): -2.2%
Individual Invest (actively traded aggressively): +28.9%

So the part of my portfolio that made money is also only part that pays taxes on earnings. Perfect.

Biggest winners were $gogl (dry bulk shipping) $flng (liquid nat gas shipping) $mro (energy) $nvo (pharma diabetes)

Biggest losers were $atos (pharma penny held too long) and Russian index fund (lol, lmao)

Looking forward cash is no long trash. My savings account is now up to 3.3% apr. It's nice to at least have a conservative option that yields more than zero. I expect the market to trade mostly sideways for a while, but that isn't based on anything more than gut feeling. Maybe selling options will continue to serve me well. No particular sector has me extremely excited at the moment. Tech has taken a beating, but as a result its current value proposition is better, not quite ready to try catching that falling knife yet though. Could be good value bargains to be had for the brave this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Pretty interesting graph from blackrock

Most everyone is on board with the idea that we're in a supply constrained inflationary period, likely due to covid; that green dashed line sort of represents when they think the economy will be ready to supply demand again. I don't have access to a straight edge but looks like 2027 or maybe even 2030

I guess I'm not super surprised, it's going to take a while for new young people to enter the workforce, but that's the first time I've seen that future supply graph spelled out so clearly. I was expecting the economy to reach some semblance of normalcy closer to 2025

IMO inflation is not properly defined as solely a gap between supply and GDP. GDP contains domestic supply only! A major component of supply constraint has been China's restrictions and lockdowns reducing imports. That is clearly changing and its change (or not) is not dependent on a domestic recession. Another major component of supply constraint has been oil, and its price reacted accordingly. Check out the price of oil today. ~$80/bbl is historically on the high end but essentially a new "normal" and is close to the 2018 high point.

Check this out: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/07/freight-rates-from-china-to-west-coast-down-90percent-as-trade-falls-rapidly.html

My conclusion is that we are already seeing the supply constraints evaporate and I think inflation is going to dip sharply in 2023 - we are already near or at intersection with that "green line" of the economy able to meet domestic demand. I hope that central bank policy reacts quickly and does not push us into a deep recession.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hey, we've got a feedback/rules discussion thread for the new year up here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

Appreciate any and all of your thoughts.

And I need to do the math on this piss poor year. Suffice to say my portfolio is tech heavy as always, so uhhh......

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The ONE loving year I max out my Roth at the beginning of the year. Normally I throw $500 a month in but figured I’d do it all in January.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

2022 Investing Report

457b (started in November 2021, what great timing) = -11.47% (started with S&P 500, then added small-cap index, then added active ex-US option)
Roth IRA = +5.42% after an uncannily timed switch from FZROX+FZILX to VT, during the pause of which the market shat the bed.
Taxable = -85%, which represents my sole individual stock (what else but $GOON aka NDRA). Made modest gains on short-terms swings of BBBY (hello August spike), EXPR, LCID, and GME. Pulled the trigger on some green and, in the case of 2022, avoided a whole lot of red. Probably my last big-risk plays for a good while. Earlier this month my taxable account showed a gain for the year of $2,500, and I took that opportunity to cut some losers and reduce my upcoming tax bill (bye RIVN and UONE!).
I bonds: maxed out in late 2021, early 2022, and soon early 2023! After passing through the first two contributions' worth of lock-up, the ice is all free skating now.
T-bills: The first rung of the ladder is in place and I look forward to establishing a self-rolling system over the next few weeks.
Crypto: Sometime earlier this year I converted all my free Coinbase shitcoins to Bitcoin and cashed them out. Glad to be rid of that circus and its extra tax-time paperwork.

I've set up the Roth portion of my 457b to begin contributions in 2023 so that it, too, is locked up where I can't/won't futz around with funds or meme plays. Having these contributions automatically deducted from my paycheck enforces responsible spending, too.

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...
Let’s get some more negative numbers in here to balance out those people with gains:

401k (TDFs): -9.8%
IRA (mostly index funds with some individual stocks and semi-active trading): -17%
Taxable (most active trading): -5%

Biggest winners:
IWM OTM Put Calendar Spreads: Just repeated covering the short leg on rips and reselling on dips. Finally closed out the entire calendar last week.

VOO swing trade: Bought in October and sold in Dec.

Biggest losers:
EWZ short puts: Sold puts and the etf had three gap down days soon after (June timeframe). Had puts for Aug and panic covered. Would have been a slight winner if I held onto the puts.

BBBY short puts: Touched the poop when the IV skyrocketed and sold far OTM puts. This was an oversized trade and panic covered again when news came out that Ryan sold all his shares.

Lessons for the new year?
Be more loving disciplined. Put time into trading and have a plan to prevent FOMO, revenge trading, oversizing trades, and other newbie poo poo that is easier said than done.
Maybe try adding multiple positions to leave runners or roll options more often to secure gains but prevent cutting potential winners too early.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Link in tweet goes to absolutely great explanation from CBOE about recent equity put/call ratio spikes, with very detailed data.

https://twitter.com/WallStJesus/status/1609329857200111618

Example quote:

quote:

The incidence of heavy volume in deep ITM contracts with no resulting open interest is indicative of a strategy employed by the largest market participants to minimize exposure to early assignment. Commonly seen in deep ITM calls ahead of an ex-dividend date, this type of activity creates large blocks of open interest that are immediately assigned by another party. The net effect is that early assignment on original short positions is avoided based on the percentage pro-rata allocation method used by OCC. Another effect is a sharp spike in the equity put/call ratio that is nondirectional and unrelated to typical option use cases.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Agronox posted:

As I see it stocks are fairly valued to somewhat overvalued; expected volatility seems neither too high nor too low; I'd expect the Fed to continue raising short term rates so long as nothing breaks in the meantime.

I do think that long-term bonds look overpriced here. Shorting TLT (for example) at the beginning of 2022 would've been a fantastic trade, and I suspect it will still do well in 2023. The industrialized world has likely broken out of its liquidity trap dating from 2008 and long-term rates will likely start heading back to their long-term averages. So, mark this one down to laugh at me later if it's wrong: short TLT here at $99.56 and we'll see how it did at the end of 2023.

Mmm I entered into a leap at spy 380. I plan on cutting around 420-430. Just pointing this out for posterity. I can't see us bottoming much lower, although, I've had people warn me (Flowing) that bear markets have 33-50% of their draw downs in the last 1/3rd.

I like the tlt trade tho. Thinking about opening tsla short now that the squeeze should be calming down.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

PoppingFresh posted:

Let’s get some more negative numbers in here to balance out those people with gains:

for some reason i bought a bit of arkk in january 2022

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

This was a big learning year for me, as I'd become fat and lazy on years of bull markets and this one really shook me into paying a lot more attention to what the market is doing instead of buying and holding and turning my brain off.

With my retirement investment accounts, well they pretty much largely track the S&P500 so no real story to tell here. I continued to buy in more S&P tracking ETFs from time to time throughout the year with money I had set aside.

But yeah the real story is being down uhhh -60% in my taxable gambling account mostly due to having big holdings in SHOP and META that sunk like stones. Now I didn't lose any money on those investments, as I'd been holding them for a long time, but I certainly wish I sold in early January instead of several weeks later!

Biggest Losers
Held big techcos SHOP and META waaaaay too long
~bought the dip~ on GOOG and it continued to sink another 20% before I sold it.
~bought the dip~ on AMD at ~100 and it continued to sink further.
Had small scratch n' win sized investments in RIVN and LCID in hopes that one would get lucky and become the next TSLA and boy that certainly didn't happen!

Biggest Winners
SARK
Pivoting quickly into XLE after I shed all the shitcos and techcos I was holding. Sold much of it at a 48% gain.
Paying closer attention to market trends, bought NIKE at a low and rode a rally to selling it for a ~25% gain. (I actually like this company and would be happy to hold this for the long term but decided to take money out of the market instead)

Lessons For 2023
take profit you loving moron
holy poo poo set some stop orders

Market Predictions for 2023
I still kind of think that GOOG has some good years ahead but terrified to touch that again after having so poorly timed my earlier purchase yikes.

Probably won't be doing quite so much in my taxable account in 2023 as interest rates have risen high enough that tbh it kind of makes more sense for me to take some profits out of the taxable account and simply apply them to my mortgage instead (Canadian mortgage up for renewal). This will limit the amount of money I have to play around with.

I'm a bit glad this year with these bad mistakes happened while I'm relatively young as I'll hopefully develop some better habits for the future coming out of this. (advice gladly accepted!)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I track total net worth month to month, not trading accounts, but it was an absolute blood bath of a year for me on almost any measure.

-25.3% , loving A. Definitely worst year since 2008. I remain very heavy on Amazon and Apple, so that's why it went very bad on me. Was actually not doing too bad as recently as august, but the last couple months, goddamn. Amazon 143 to 84, Apple 172 to 130. Nasdaq is down 33.5% on the year, so I guess I beat that comparable! Barely. I'm feeling poor as hell, but if I look at it in perspective, I'm still above pre-pandemic numbers. (well poo poo, I guess inflation has eaten away my assets big time, so no, maybe I'm not up, hah!).

My active trading was pretty much a push going into december, but ended up contributing about -1% of the total.

I continue to think that recession fears are overblown. The conventional wisdom has been pricing in worse and worse recessions all goddamn year, and it hasn't happened. But the market keeps expecting it to happen "soon", and we keep going down. Meanwhile inflation has obviously peaked, been trending down for the last 6 months (except for one month when leases renewed), but we're acting like the next financial crisis is right around the corner. Decent chance the last rate hike is behind us, and rates might actually be lower six months from now, unless the Fed is determined to not lower until the YoY actually gets under 2. Which I guess decent chance they might? Thats what Jpow says, and he has been doing what he says he will do. And the Fed didn't start raising until 6 months too late. It's so much easier to be reactionary than forward looking.

Covid in china is a big deal, but they have so many people to toss into the factories to keep the supply chains running. Europe hasn't frozen yet. For most of the year it seemed like multiple black swans were right around the corner, but right now I actually feel pretty optimistic, somehow.

Biggest lesson for the year was I have got to stop being so stubborn on trades that go against me. I sell options, and I need to just close them out on expiration instead of ever taking delivery. I had a ton of winners, but the couple big losers I couldn't let go of really got me this year.

Biggest losers: BGFV (think this might be my biggest loss yet), CURV, GREE
Biggest winners: selling a lot of ATVI 50p, AMC 5p, AMC 2.5p, CLR 65p, CALT 15p, CNR 20p, TRQ 26p , CTXS 100p, SJI 35p, etc etc.

But I need to be right about 10 times for every short put that really gets away from me, and some got away from me big this year. Just dumb.

I scaled back for most of the year, many fewer positions, on safer propositions. Have a decent-ish amount of cash for now, just bought some SGOV to park it in. Will probably get it in if we go back to the SPY 350 neighborhood.