Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wait what loving King Crab variant had two more big guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

Wait what loving King Crab variant had two more big guns?

KGC-010

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

Yeah, that's probably their best use. Speed them to an objective and drop them off somewhere that it's a right pain in the rear end to dig out, so the enemy can't capture it. They'll either be forced to waste valuable turns and firepower dealing with your groundpounders, or leave the objective contested in favor of more substanial targets.

That’s my experience with them so far. It feels dumb to dedicate a mech’s shooting to dealing with them, but if the alternative is letting them claim an objective completely unbothered, then it’s not so dumb after all.

Also, overkill is the best kind of kill :black101:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Finally took the plunge on the Game of Armored Combat box set to learn with a buddy and pretty stoked.

We've been hooked on the video games for decades and love crunchy tabletop games so this should be a hoot.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Have fun! Your first games will take a long time as you’ll both be looking up rules all the time, but it’ll get faster :)

I got a cool Marauder IIC in the BattleTech Deutschland secret santa. I guess I’ll have to start getting Clan poo poo now oh lord

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hopefully some efficiency from other miniature game carries over.

I talked with my bud today and we're thinking about at start keeping things to one era and picking factions to stick to. So what's the generally best era to play around in? I'm sure that's a subjective question.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The War of 3039 is my favorite era to play in, bar none. The mechanics for prototype upgrades are very fun. Second place goes to the Third Hidden War. Small unit conflicts, one side is always false-flagged as pirates, and you get to use Star League tech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm a fan of the modern 3150 era, there's a lot of toys to play with which means you can tailor forces to have faster or slower games depending on what you have time for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
3025 is historically the introductory era, but it can be really slow since there are fewer toys.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Merry Christmas everyone, here's your gift straight from my Short Range Mistletoe-6

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rorahusky posted:

Merry Christmas everyone, here's your gift straight from my Short Range Mistletoe-6

My gal asked me about my favorite 'mechs when I was playing the HBS game a while ago and I mentioned that I liked mech's that were built around one big gun "meant" for one weight class higher like the Hunchback. She got me a laser-engraved steel box with a good size set of dice for tracking movement phase modifiers with a hunchback engraved on the front and the hit location chart on the bottom, and some litko arc overlays, and little things you clip to your mech sheet to track heat without marking it, along with a Inner Sphere Heavy lance. She is thoughtful.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 26, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TheKingslayer posted:

Hopefully some efficiency from other miniature game carries over.

I talked with my bud today and we're thinking about at start keeping things to one era and picking factions to stick to. So what's the generally best era to play around in? I'm sure that's a subjective question.

I like 3132 purely for flavor reasons. Lots of small skirmishes possible between any number of factions.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am a big fan of ilClan era (3150+). Every faction, even the minor ones, are involved in some conflict or another, there are plenty of toys to play with, and the divide between Clan and Inner Sphere has been muddied and blurred to the point where you routinely see machines from both side of the tech tree serving along side each other, regardless of what House or Clan you play as. It hits the sweet spot for me that few other eras doesn't quite hit, either by leaving certain factions nothing to do while X Conflict is going on or by being wildly skewed towards one side of the Tech tree or the other.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

During the initial Clan invasion, why did the Clans only send in only a few clans to invade and not all of them?

clan

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Because being a show-off while winning is the pinnacle of Clan society, and only the Clans that won the hardest in the pre-invasion trials were allowed to show-off first.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ostensibly it was because the Clans wanted to make sure only the best of them got the honor to invade. But it's more likely that the real motivate was the Clans who were steering the bus realizing the tremendous advantage that controlling territory in the Inner Sphere gave you over the Homeworlds and wanted to make sure only a few of them got to benefit. That's why they almost immediately pivot to making sure that as few Clans as possible get to join them. For reference, there are seven times as many people living on Luthien as occupy the entire Kerensky Cluster combined. Your typical Clan warrior in the Inner Sphere probably lives as well as a Khan in the Homeworlds.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It was entirely a resource play, the four (eventually seven because Ulric loved loving with everyone else more than he enjoyed being alive) Clans with the most resources got together to make a big land grab while taking advantage of their society's inherent rigidity to convince the remaining 14 (eventually 11) Clans to chill the gently caress out out and stay home and donate resources to the cause.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I wonder what has happened in the Clan homeworlds in the eighty or so years since the end of the wars of reaving, and how they will react to news that an erstwhile Clan has taken up the mantle of ilClan.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
We'll find out eventually. Or we won't. Any speculation you might see or hear on it is complete guesswork, and if anyone tells you otherwise they're lying.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fearless posted:

I wonder what has happened in the Clan homeworlds in the eighty or so years since the end of the wars of reaving, and how they will react to news that an erstwhile Clan has taken up the mantle of ilClan.

According to some estimates made that ended up producing Protos, they've used up their supply of certain resources used in mech production. If they do ever get used again, they'll probably look meaningfully different than just redoing the clan invasion, which would be incredibly boring.

My theory is that the mystery attackers who were running around the periphery edge of the Falcon OZ came from there, for whatever reason. All they do is steal everybody's food and burn their HPG.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Might be a bit late for the east coast, but just found out that Barnes and noble is running a half-off board game sale, and that includes battletech boxes. Suspect it may be in-store only. Got 2x beginner boxes, a clan starter, and AGoAC box for ~$80.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the heads up. Got a bunch stuff. Runs through tomorrow. Worth noting the lance/star miniature expansions are included as well as boxed games and expansions. Confirmed in-store only.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 27, 2022

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Might be a bit late for the east coast, but just found out that Barnes and noble is running a half-off board game sale, and that includes battletech boxes. Suspect it may be in-store only. Got 2x beginner boxes, a clan starter, and AGoAC box for ~$80.

Thanks for posting this, we swung by and I got this all for $60. I almost grabbed more, but my painting backlog is just too big and I didn't want to go too much deeper on the backlog.

Board games were super picked over, unfortunately. Or fortunately, I guess it kept me from spending more.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Saw this all over facebook today and yes, I’m supremely jealous. :p

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have been depressed and hadn't really made time to do the finishing touches for my jungle camo Long Company. I wanted to do a few hexes of jungle terrain to pose with them, but I decided I'd just rather have the 'Mechs done so I can force my brain to move on to other things. So I finished them!

LRRP Light Lance

All Range Medium Lance

Heavy Support Lance

"Assault" Lance (there were supposed to be four 'Mechs of each weightclass but I hosed up and forgot the Axman is only 65 tons, still it makes sense that the Stalker would need a minion to clear trees)

And the long company together

I should've asked for a better camera for Christmas.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Green mechs lookin’ drat slick.

I might not have a B&N to raid but today I scored a used GOAC and beginner box plus the total warfare book for a chunk off full price. It’ll be waiting for me when I get home from my inlaws. :)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Outside of CGL where's another good spot to pick up individual mechs? I'm sure Etsy has them all over but I wasn't sure if there was a confirmed good storefront.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Outside of CGL where's another good spot to pick up individual mechs? I'm sure Etsy has them all over but I wasn't sure if there was a confirmed good storefront.

Outside of the various Etsy people offering 3D-printed mechs, there are some third-party people to consider in this blog post https://penguinsushi.com/blog/entry/15993_Battletech_Forged_In_Plastic

If you’re in the US, Fortress Miniatures and Games has some Strato Minis ”Retrobots”, ie. BattleTech mechs with different names. If you’re in Europe, well, they’re Polish, so you’re better off ordering directly from them.

Oh and of course, Iron Wind Metals does official metal minis. Most of them are the wonky old sculpts, though, however they do have some of the new CGL sculpts in metal as well, including some variants not available in plastic.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 29, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Does anyone have any good pics of bases for their mechs? Looking for ideas/inspiration.

Similar note, do y’all base your combat vehicles? Not sure how much I like not having mine on a base.

In an effort to avoid doing too much work, I tried to use a wash to darken the back of the missile pods on my Timberwolf so that only the golden missile tips would show…it didn’t work so well :v:

Overall satisfied though. Changed the panel color on my Archer to match the Timberwolf, gonna have a Dragoon star floating around soon :getin:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I like putting things on bases to help give the 'Mechs scale. Since I have a 3D printer, I often put 3D printer supports on as rubble since they have a definite 'manmade' feel and help make 'Mechs look big; but other things also work like scale infantry or foliage flock glued directly to the base to look like bushes. Anything that your 'Mechs can be stepping over (or crushing) looks great on a base.

You can also get a sense of scale more simply by doing ground flock or snow in patches with breaks between them to get a broken ground effect.

Your mileage may vary, but the two things I personally don't like using for BattleTech bases are using static grass on an entire base or static grass tufts. With nothing else for scale, the human brain tends to see static grass as a manicured lawn which I personally feel makes the 'Mech feel small and toy-like. Grass tufts can have a similar effect unless you've got something else down (like some 3D printer support rubble or an infantry trooper) to put them into context as big weird alien yucca plants.

That said, if you've got spare 6mm infantry to put on a base or two; or really anything else to help the observer recontextualize it as velociraptor-hiding tall grass, static grass is fine. It's just something I personally avoid unless I have something to use with it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 29, 2022

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m not home right now so I don’t have too many photos of bases specifically but I go for these fairly basic muddy bases with rocks, grass and puddles. I figured a trampled muddy look kind of works for several kinds of terrains.

I definitely understand the previous post’s point about static grass/tufts. However, there are shorter tufts out there. I should’ve gone with the shortest tufts but didn’t… I think they didn’t have the right color when I was buying them. Guess I could always just trim them myself.

I also occasionally add random bits and bobs. For example for my Secret Santa mech I threw on some random wreckage, sometimes I have infantry running under there or the like if I have spare stuff lying around.

And yeah I did end up basing my vehicles. I just didn’t like the fact that the vehicles sat lower than the mechs. Also, the bases make them look uniform with everything else, like the mechs.

Basing is probably my least favorite part of painting/modeling honestly. Even these bases take a bit too long to make for my liking, but I guess I’m stuck with them for all eternity now

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 29, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

a cyborg mug posted:

I definitely understand the previous post’s point about static grass/tufts.

Your tufts are done well, since there's something else on the base to help give them context.

BattleTech basing is all about trying to give the 'Mechs a sense of scale. Anything that makes them feel towering and imposing is good!

Even just a painted base can look great with the right context.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If I can get my resin printer running again I absolutely will be adding scale-factor stuff to bases like civillian autos and individual infantry figs.

Speaking of anyone have a go to for printable 6mm scifi infantry?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can find some decently-usable things by searching 6mm infantry on Thingiverse. They won't be super-detailed and you may need to downscale them slightly in your 3D printer but they'll be close enough.

For better scale you can usually buy metal 6mm infantry from modern wargame suppliers for quite low prices. Depending on your 3d printer's resolution they may be better-ish detailed. I keep being tempted by GHQ's infantry since it's something like $12-15 for 60+, and they're also a good source of scale APCs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Those are very reasonably priced blisters. Sold a lot of them to grognards when I worked at an FLGS.

I guess at that scale the difference between an M4, a sturmgewehr, and a lasergun is pretty mild.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There are some blueprints listed as Battletech infantry on myminifactory.com.

Example:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-6mm-1-285-trooper-for-battletech-and-similar-games-219590

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Not my best work but I wanted to get a lance ready for my kid to play in a hurry. She requested a deep blue-gray/dark sandy tan complimentary scheme.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

poo poo, still better than anything I've ever painted.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ahaha, this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Neoprene alien worlds maps on the rise! Very excited!