Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

I don't think it's accurate to say that the devs distanced themselves from this, it's that the players did. I mean if the stuff you discovered is being done by 12 or so people who put it up on a search-engine optimized site, then the only point of not putting this information in the game is to gate players behind their willingness to google something. Heck, this stuff still generally happens in wow, people still have to google their spec's stat priority and that means someone is running sims to figure out what they are, someone's maintaining the software to run the sims, there's a whole infrastructure out there and I'm sure those dozen people serving the entire wow playerbase are experiencing the joy of discovery.

This is true of every form of discovery a game might have- the dozen best explorers are discovering things and everyone else is googling. Think about how excited people were when that fake nier automata easter egg was released on twitter. The idea that any secret could escape the voracious eye of internet archivists only to be discovered by a random kid was genuinely exciting.

I think there's still value in obscuring data even though players will just find the answers online these days.

It reminds me of the boxed cake mixes being introduced to the market, they originally did poorly because potential customers felt guilty, like if it all just came in a box they didn't really make the cake. All they did was add an instruction to add an egg and that solved the problem. The extra step of having to add an egg from outside the box made it feel to customers like they had more involvement in the making of the cake and so they felt better about it. Even though sourcing an egg to add to the box is nothing more than buying something else from another isle in the same shop, the fact that the extra outside step existed made all the difference.

I think having to find the data on third party sites or discords or whatever is the same thing. Even though the vast majority of players are not the ones extracting the data or running the sims, they are still having to find the results from those who do. The game doesn't come with everything you need right in the box, you have to source information from outside of it, and so you feel more ownership over the process. You might just be copying your loadout exactly from some post on discord, but that feels very different from doing the same thing if it was the game just telling you. And from that you feel like you are benefiting from the special knowledge you possess, that you earned the advantage you get from having the optimal setup. Even if basically everybody heavily invested in the game also has the same knowledge because they read the same sites/discords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ModeSix posted:

New World is not great and has had to shut the economy down multiple times in the last 30-60 days due to duping and exploits. The gameplay is ok at best, go with BDO if you want a good action combat mmo.

Eve Online is receiving constant content updates and new feature expansions and is far from in maintenance mode. However yes the $20/mo. sub is kind of steep.

News to me that Eve is receiving any sort of updates. There was a very long stretch where it wasn't. BDO sucks though, the combat is actually really bad and the game is too grindy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Of course EVE has updates. They slightly upgraded the turret animations again.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The faction warfare revamp is good and you can do it all without omega. I forget anything else the latest expansion added. Oh, you can put corp stickers on your ship now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Phigs posted:

It reminds me of the boxed cake mixes being introduced to the market, they originally did poorly because potential customers felt guilty, like if it all just came in a box they didn't really make the cake. All they did was add an instruction to add an egg and that solved the problem. The extra step of having to add an egg from outside the box made it feel to customers like they had more involvement in the making of the cake and so they felt better about it. Even though sourcing an egg to add to the box is nothing more than buying something else from another isle in the same shop, the fact that the extra outside step existed made all the difference.

So this seems pedantic, but this really isn't true: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/something-eggstra/ (I know, snopes, but the page is actually really interesting).

In particular, boxed cake mix was extremely popular from day 1, the "add an egg" theory was developed when sales started to flag a decade or two later & seemed to primarily just be reproducing executive fights about fresh eggs that had already existed at the company prior to the downturn in sales, and pilsbury overcame the fall in sales without ever asking anyone to add eggs.

So here's why this matters- the actual way that baking companies overcame reticence to use boxed cake mix was by downplaying the actual baking of a cake as a factor in the final product. Like, whatever, you make the cake, and then you do some martha stewart poo poo on the frosting and that's what it means to be a great housewife. So bringing this back into an MMO, completely annihilating theorycrafting as a thing in favor of some form of self-expression is the obvious parallel. I think it's clear that wow hasn't really done the latter, but adding an egg in the form of a google search isn't a real solution.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

30.5 Days posted:

So here's why this matters- the actual way that baking companies overcame reticence to use boxed cake mix was by downplaying the actual baking of a cake as a factor in the final product. Like, whatever, you make the cake, and then you do some martha stewart poo poo on the frosting and that's what it means to be a great housewife.

Horse armor for cakes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

30.5 Days posted:

So this seems pedantic, but this really isn't true: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/something-eggstra/ (I know, snopes, but the page is actually really interesting).

In particular, boxed cake mix was extremely popular from day 1, the "add an egg" theory was developed when sales started to flag a decade or two later & seemed to primarily just be reproducing executive fights about fresh eggs that had already existed at the company prior to the downturn in sales, and pilsbury overcame the fall in sales without ever asking anyone to add eggs.

So here's why this matters- the actual way that baking companies overcame reticence to use boxed cake mix was by downplaying the actual baking of a cake as a factor in the final product. Like, whatever, you make the cake, and then you do some martha stewart poo poo on the frosting and that's what it means to be a great housewife. So bringing this back into an MMO, completely annihilating theorycrafting as a thing in favor of some form of self-expression is the obvious parallel. I think it's clear that wow hasn't really done the latter, but adding an egg in the form of a google search isn't a real solution.

So... you're saying WoW should reduce the spec dps differences.

And maybe also add ways to customize character appearance without impacting performance, like some sort of, I don't know, glamour system?

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Hmm, I wonder if any active MMOs have tried that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

we used to run around looking like clowns in our mismatched raid armor and WE LIKED IT

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kaysette posted:

we used to run around looking like clowns in our mismatched raid armor and WE LIKED IT

I didn't!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kaysette posted:

modern gamers may not like it, but the clown suit is what optimal performance looks like!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

SerSpook posted:

modern gamers may not like it, but the clown suit is what optimal performance looks like!

Pretty princess dress up is the true endgame. Just ask anyone who plays FFXIV.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

an iksar marauder posted:

Project 1999 classic everquest. Now also easily playable on steam deck

I can't imagine binding pad controls to that works out amazingly, but maybe I'm wrong

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Classic WoW had some balls, first expansion out the gate and they were already asking the tough questions like "what if all our armor looked like absolute poo poo"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Classic WoW had some balls, first expansion out the gate and they were already asking the tough questions like "what if all our armor looked like absolute poo poo"

Did it again in WOTLK too

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Classic pendulum design; release an expac where all the gear is stupidly bright colored and get criticised for it, and then release an expac where everything is brown or another muted shade and get criticised for it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

No, that's interesting. I mean if you had just posted the first paragraph it would have been pedantic but it's definitely not with the whole why it matters parts.

I'm still thinking through the implications so I don't have an interesting reply just yet though.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't imagine binding pad controls to that works out amazingly, but maybe I'm wrong

It works really well but a bluetooth keyboard helps with typing. Actual gameplay is decent. Casters might have a harder time than melees.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Never forget what the transmog system took from us.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I’ve started playing SWTOR again for the first time since launch and chat is just wonderful. 90% nerds trying to out-Star-Wars-nerd each other by hating Disney/Rey even more than the last guy, and the other 10% is RP guilds recruiting for padawan/master RP. It provides endless entertainment.

The actually holds up pretty well, but they have double xp happening right now so I started out leveling content almost immediately.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Never forget what the transmog system took from us.

absolutely beautiful example of peak performance

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

kedo posted:

I’ve started playing SWTOR again for the first time since launch and chat is just wonderful. 90% nerds trying to out-Star-Wars-nerd each other by hating Disney/Rey even more than the last guy, and the other 10% is RP guilds recruiting for padawan/master RP. It provides endless entertainment.

The actually holds up pretty well, but they have double xp happening right now so I started out leveling content almost immediately.

same

just hit the preferred player level 70 wall though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Third World Reagan posted:

same

just hit the preferred player level 70 wall though

Is there a way past "these expansions are only if you're subbed" if you have a massive pile of Cartel Coins? Haven't gotten around to poking my nose in to check yet.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are some of your favorite MMO December / Holiday events?

I like FFXIV’s Starlight. Everyone seems to get into the spirit and dress festive, with outfit contests and random gifts all over the place. I’ve been playing a little bit this week and the number of rando strangers coming up to me and giving me legit cool gifts like pets, furniture, and food is heartwarming.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LuckyCat posted:

I like FFXIV’s Starlight. Everyone seems to get into the spirit and dress festive, with outfit contests and random gifts all over the place. I’ve been playing a little bit this week and the number of rando strangers coming up to me and giving me legit cool gifts like pets, furniture, and food is heartwarming.

GW2 has an amazing set of holiday activities.

Probably the coolest and most thematic is a sort of carolling mini-game where you work with a bunch of other players to make music. There are a whole bunch of other activities too, but it's been years since I played so I don't really remember any details.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah GW2 has some good stuff, I like the guitar-hero style music game too, usually a special PvP mode for each festival too and some jump puzzles or events.

At halloween the elemental plane of candy corn invades and everyone does a farm train to kill candy corn elementals and plastic halloween spiders and toilet paper mummies and skeletons that make xylophone sounds.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way past "these expansions are only if you're subbed" if you have a massive pile of Cartel Coins? Haven't gotten around to poking my nose in to check yet.

No, but it's literally just 'sub one month and you get access to everything permanently', so dropping $15 instead of a permanent sub is well worth it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Bruceski posted:

no one knows but I suspect not

You got three tiers

f2p
have subbed once
and currently subbed

subbed once is preferred and gets you most everything except the last 10 levels, maybe affects crafting, and the last 2 expansions that are 71-80.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LuckyCat posted:

I have a weird nostalgia for Starlight's music despite never having played FFXIV for really that long. It just catches me and I don't know why.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Third World Reagan posted:

no one knows but I suspect not

You got three tiers

f2p
have subbed once
and currently subbed

subbed once is preferred and gets you most everything except the last 10 levels, maybe affects crafting, and the last 2 expansions that are 71-80.

I thought you got whatever expansion packs were available when you last subbed

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Maybe, who knows

I last subbed in 2016 but I'm stuck at level 70 but I think I have a quest for the sub after the whole chaptered alliance stuff.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thought you got whatever expansion packs were available when you last subbed

this is correct. All new expansions get folded into the 'sub once', so if you do it today you get the most recent expansion (and all the others).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

People say BDO is a solo fest, but is it possible/convenient for two people to play together?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When I played a bit a few years ago with a friend it just meant you two sit in the same grinding spot killing monsters, nothing really interesting.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

BDO is one of those games that sounds good on paper, but playing it is incredibly, incredibly boring.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

But it's a great chat room, hence the original suggestion, in the sense that AIM didn't have exciting and dynamic gameplay either lol.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Playing BDO is great, but quitting BDO feels even greater.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
BDO has incredible character creation, great visual presentation and very cool and satisfying basic gameplay and, with this great core for MMORPG, it... proceeds to do absolutely nothing with it, outside of copying some of the most basic trappings of the genre and calling it a day.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I enjoyed building a resource network, and grinding for my first ship. If you want grind, it's there. But at some point I realized it's a grind within a grind within a grind... and lost interest.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

if anyone is craving a super old school MMORPG, I started playing Ashen Empires https://store.steampowered.com/app/937380/Ashen_Empires/ today on the PvE only server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

if anyone is craving a super old school MMORPG, I started playing Ashen Empires https://store.steampowered.com/app/937380/Ashen_Empires/ today on the PvE only server.

wh... why is the rating "mostly negative" I've never seen that before in my life