Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

I guess this is the best kind of page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
Have some weird Japanese commercials. Not really all that cursed but there's anime, even some Lupin III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXlwSm1uCoM

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Yeah, I guess capitalism is pretty cursed

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sawdust and dried tobacco juice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Good investment for a wasteland merchant

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Dick Fontaine posted:

Yeah, I guess capitalism is pretty cursed

Sure, but there's only a couple of ads for McDonald's and there rest is just Japanese poo poo you can't buy so the advertising is worthless.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A farting mink posted:

Sure, but there's only a couple of ads for McDonald's and there rest is just Japanese poo poo you can't buy so the advertising is worthless.

Instead of brand waifus we get commercials for antidepressants.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ah, wasp fresh from the teat.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Waffle! posted:

Instead of brand waifus we get commercials for antidepressants.

Yeah well, this is what we get in bloody Norway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYGi0cOF6E

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
That commercial kind of ruled. It's like, I didn't know Royksopp started doing pizza commercials. A+, would curse again

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

A farting mink posted:

Yeah well, this is what we get in bloody Norway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYGi0cOF6E

There was also a Grandiosa Pizza Friday dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1srRu8htR4

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

lobsterminator posted:

There was also a Grandiosa Pizza Friday dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1srRu8htR4

That's some bootleg bullshit from Finland. Them having fake Grandiosa would not surprise me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just one more lane, bro. One more lane will solve it for sure this time.

https://i.imgur.com/Mz0KPgZ.mp4

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Terrible implications aside, that is actually quite beautiful.

Needs a third lane with only blue lights on it to make it extra patriotic.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I look at this and compare it to Mega City One from the early Judge Dredd comics.
Even that was more efficient and it was drawn by British nerds in the 80's.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
I take that freeway to and from work. If you look really close, you can see my 1994 Lexus ES300, 164k miles, black with grey trim, two busted tail lights, the speedometer gauges don’t work, the dampers are all dead, the clock is broken, the rear bumper is scratched, dent on the left fender, torn leather everywhere, left headlight is dimmer than the right, rear left tire has uneven wear because the whole car tilts when I sit in it, meaning I have to turn the steering wheel to the right a bit to go straight, just paid $1000 because the engine was leaking oil, changed the water pump and timing belt a second time, what was I talking about again?

Oh yeah the freeway. gently caress the 405

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Aw man look at all that freedom!

https://i.imgur.com/xB3UE3s.mp4

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

koyaanisqatsi.mp4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tankakern posted:

koyaanisqatsi.mp4

IIRC the cars were moving faster in Koyaanisqatsi.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If I may be allowed to jump up on my high horse for a second.

Whilst I can get my head around some of the reasons Americans seem to despise public transport and public transport infrastructure.

I cannot get my head around why, looking at this picture, there isnt any sort of public will, or movement for it. Coz imagine being in one of those cars, on your way home and thinking "Gosh, this is terrible, the only answer to this is to build another lane. If only there was a way that I could have easily got on a train and then walked 10-15 minutes from the station to my home in the suburbs. But clearly that is impossible, and to be fought against at every opportunity."

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin
as an american who took the train for a year for work the thing was always an hour late atleast once a week and basically cost me the job.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
i wonder if perhaps that train was underfunded and run poorly so the people in charge could say "look trains don't work well, gee i guess everyone better just get a car and spend money on it and be too busy and stressed to ever question this because isn't the alternative just so much worse (and less profitable to me and all my rich friends)?"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Being put in charge of a thing you fundamentally hate, intentionally doing a terrible job at running it, and using your own poor performance as proof that the thing is unworkable and should probably be sold off to a corporation is sort of de rigueur of American elected officials nowadays, particularly if you’re anywhere right of Marx

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst I can get my head around some of the reasons Americans seem to despise public transport and public transport infrastructure.

I cannot get my head around why, looking at this picture, there isnt any sort of public will, or movement for it. Coz imagine being in one of those cars, on your way home and thinking "Gosh, this is terrible, the only answer to this is to build another lane. If only there was a way that I could have easily got on a train and then walked 10-15 minutes from the station to my home in the suburbs. But clearly that is impossible, and to be fought against at every opportunity."

Beats being jammed face to face with a population that treats catching covid like a tiktok challenge

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
While there are cases of public transportation being intentionally underfunded, there are plenty of systems like our home grown DC Metro that are just criminally incompetent and suffer delays and train cancelations routinely. Gotta solve that problem before people will accept public transportation as the norm.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I hope cars go away so I can finally drive my car in peace.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Beats being jammed face to face with a population that treats catching covid like a tiktok challenge

...who is this supposed to be? I can't think of any country with decent public transit that has had a COVID response even remotely as apocalyptically bad as the US.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The UK is a contender.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

...who is this supposed to be? I can't think of any country with decent public transit that has had a COVID response even remotely as apocalyptically bad as the US.

you realize the US does have public transit right

and more public transit in the US would mean more public transit with Americans on it

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 29, 2022

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Gotcha. That at least makes sense, even if "gently caress public transit bc covid" is a bad take.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

got on a train and then walked 10-15 minutes from the station to my home in the suburbs.

Found the problem.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

At my previous job my group was based in Houston and I lived in NYC. My boss and coworkers spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get me to move to Houston and one of their primary benefits was I wouldn't have to take the train or walk anymore. They couldn't fathom why I would want to live like that.

From my discussions with them they were deeply individualistic and hated the idea of sharing their space with anyone else. I was told multiple times that they would rather sit in Houston's garbage traffic than walk or take public transit just because they preferred to not be near anyone else.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The General posted:

got on a train and then walked 10-15 minutes from the station to my home in the suburbs.

Found the problem.

I mean, “lol Americans are lazy” is certainly A Thing, but that estimate is optimistic for most of suburban America. You’re not looking at a quick walk from “a place mass transit can be” to “your home in the middle of a housing development that used to be an industrial almond farm.”

Getting to that point where folks can readily walk to an efficient and navigable mass transit system in America is a massively expensive proposition that approaches “you have to bulldoze everything SimCity style and start over.”

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bossy lady posted:

At my previous job my group was based in Houston and I lived in NYC. My boss and coworkers spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get me to move to Houston and one of their primary benefits was I wouldn't have to take the train or walk anymore. They couldn't fathom why I would want to live like that.

From my discussions with them they were deeply individualistic and hated the idea of sharing their space with anyone else. I was told multiple times that they would rather sit in Houston's garbage traffic than walk or take public transit just because they preferred to not be near anyone else.

Yeah this is why Americans don't know how to act in airports or on planes, it's the closest thing most of us get to public transit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Moonlight posted:

I mean, “lol Americans are lazy” is certainly A Thing, but that estimate is optimistic for most of suburban America. You’re not looking at a quick walk from “a place mass transit can be” to “your home in the middle of a housing development that used to be an industrial almond farm.”

Getting to that point where folks can readily walk to an efficient and navigable mass transit system in America is a massively expensive proposition that approaches “you have to bulldoze everything SimCity style and start over.”

The suburbs as they exist aren't really conductive to any sort of public transport or walking

There's no direct path and everything else is a dead-end. So you can't just put one or two bus/train stop to cover the whole area.

E: from here, there are more examples: https://imgur.com/gallery/IKrJTvu

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Have a hot observation from 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uRbLtwRhY8

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I feel like non-Americans just don't understand how very much a lot of the nation is built for cars and is as unwalkable as it could possibly be, and I feel like it's 100% intentional to keep us reliant on cars and keep the automotive industry booming.

It's not enough to just cause a fuss to state congress and stuff; making any sort of public transportation system/walkability upgrades outside of most big cities would require unfathomable amounts of reconstruction and would likely face opposition from every possible direction from [insert lobbyists here]. It's not just because "lol Americans are too lazy to walk or too dumb to demand better living standards"-- we really don't have any power against it. I live in a suburban area close to the downtown part of my city, and to even walk to the bus stop is probably 15-20 minutes from where I live as it is, depending on if the bus will even be around at any given time. And that's just local transportation! The nearest airport is about 25-30 minutes from here, and the nearest train station is roughly 45-55 minutes from here. So I could walk 20 minutes to a bus stop, wait however long it takes for it to show up, then wait to get to the closest stop to my destination, then spend another 10-20 minutes walking to that destination... or I could just hop in my car and be where I need to be in less than 20. That isn't to say that's how I want it-- I actually don't like driving and would prefer not to if I didn't have to.

It's not that we don't want better public transport, it's that in most of the country it's just a loving pipe dream. The continental US is loving massive-- like, a lot of European countries, in their entirety, are smaller than even some of our smaller states. And even some of the bigger countries are about the size of a state and a half, maybe? I live in Indiana, and the entire UK is about as big as Indiana and Michigan combined lol

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, California alone is nearly twice the size of the entire UK. The US has a massive amount of open space that people wanted to take advantage of and now we're dealing with the consequences of that.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Here's a video that shows how even short distances in the US suburbs are unwalkable (time-stamped 4:35):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxykI30fS54&t=275s
Cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You don't realize how big the United States is until you spend ~10 hours driving from Dallas to Albequerque.

I've driven across the United States several times and the scale of the country can be easily distorted if you only fly.