Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mister Speaker posted:

While we're on old games, I've been thinking about an old space game I used to play on a buddy's Macintosh Plus. It was two-dimensional, and black&white. Your spaceship would fly around the field avoiding different types of enemies and collecting crystals, and when you collected all of them a 'gate' would open at one end of the map that you'd travel through to proceed to the next level. I might be conflating another game, but I seem to remember the different enemies had names, and one type was called a 'Husket'.

That's too early for Maelstrom, but I just wanted to mention Maelstrom because it was the best Asteroids clone on any platform.

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGI-MHSpH8

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mllaneza posted:

That's too early for Maelstrom, but I just wanted to mention Maelstrom because it was the best Asteroids clone on any platform.

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGI-MHSpH8

We had a disc with Maelstrom Apieron, and I think one other from that studio. As an elementary-aged kid, some of those sound effects were... interesting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

While we're on old games, I've been thinking about an old space game I used to play on a buddy's Macintosh Plus. It was two-dimensional, and black&white. Your spaceship would fly around the field avoiding different types of enemies and collecting crystals, and when you collected all of them a 'gate' would open at one end of the map that you'd travel through to proceed to the next level. I might be conflating another game, but I seem to remember the different enemies had names, and one type was called a 'Husket'.

I don’t remember if Crystal Quest had a gate like that but I think maybe Sky Shadow did? It also had great sound effects.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Are there consistent rules in German for when a consonant sound is guttural or not, or is it an idiot bastard "you just need to learn how the word is pronounced" language like English?

I swear I've seen/heard ch and g both pronounced as either /χ/ or /ʃ/ , sometimes even in the same word. Case study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1coEIN7safI

I swear the pronunciation of "richtig" shifts between /χ/ and /ʃ/ on the "ch", and /χ/ and /g/ on the "g" (e: unless they're actually code switching and saying "really" in English, with an accent?! To my anglophone ear, that's how the phonemes register in lots of cases).

Is that how it is, and it's just like English in terms of inconsistent pronunciation of letters, or is my ear off? I swear I've heard "ich" pronounced as both /ɪʃ/ and /ɪχ/ in different instances!

Paging Antigravitas!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 28, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Sometimes I see threads here get restarted once they reach a certain size. Why is this? Does it have to do with data stuff behind the scenes? Does a thread 4000+ pages long cause problems, like lag or some such?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It used to, but these days I think it's more tradition than anything else. Periodically updating the OP/the thread title is also nice, and if the creator of the OP is gone, then you need to either get mod help or make a new thread.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

credburn posted:

Sometimes I see threads here get restarted once they reach a certain size. Why is this? Does it have to do with data stuff behind the scenes? Does a thread 4000+ pages long cause problems, like lag or some such?

There used to be a limit where threads above a certain number of posts would either crash the thread or the entire forums (I can't remember which), but that was fixed, so at this point it's mostly just to start fresh and have the OP be from an active poster who can update the first post with common questions and rules.
We do have some giant old threads around though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What's the primary platform for which streaming apps are developed? It seems like there are some platforms with streaming apps that are straight-up garbage and some that are slightly better. So which one has the first-string developers working on it with the most resources? Which has the intended experience?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm sure there's a e/n thread, or maybe TGD, for it, but I want to know more about Seasonal Affective Disorder and how to get help/support.

Any recommendations? I don't have a PCP, I'm in the US so "lol healthcare, especially mental health". I also have solely Medicaid for any "insurance". I'm still desperate trying to find a dentist that will take me despite my cracked molars, so I just can't find the energy to make 1000 phone calls just to be told "sorry we're not taking new patients" or "lol, Medicaid, just lmao" AGAIN.

Sadly (or should I say SADly) I turn to goons to help. Is there a good thread somewhere y'all can refer me to?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm sure there's a e/n thread, or maybe TGD, for it, but I want to know more about Seasonal Affective Disorder and how to get help/support.

Any recommendations? I don't have a PCP, I'm in the US so "lol healthcare, especially mental health". I also have solely Medicaid for any "insurance". I'm still desperate trying to find a dentist that will take me despite my cracked molars, so I just can't find the energy to make 1000 phone calls just to be told "sorry we're not taking new patients" or "lol, Medicaid, just lmao" AGAIN.

Sadly (or should I say SADly) I turn to goons to help. Is there a good thread somewhere y'all can refer me to?

I don’t have a thread to point you to, but the treatment for SAD is usually “get more sunlight.” If you don’t have the ability to spend more time outside (going for weekly/as needed hikes in the winter is my preferred treatment, I get hit by SAD harder and harder each year), you can buy a SAD lamp or light box that helps trick your body into thinking it’s sunny out and reducing the amount of melatonin it releases during the day. They’re basically just very bright lamps with full spectrum bulbs. And as with most types of depression, frequent exercise helps a ton too (hint: hikes!)

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 28, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

credburn posted:

Each page has a drop down page selector. Every possible value for it is contained in the page. At some number of pages, the amount of bytes downloaded on each page load for just that page selector exceeds the actual text content. I think it contributes to the hosting bill, I'm not sure. Minor slowdowns maybe.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Each page has a drop down page selector. Every possible value for it is contained in the page. At some number of pages, the amount of bytes downloaded on each page load for just that page selector exceeds the actual text content. I think it contributes to the hosting bill, I'm not sure. Minor slowdowns maybe.

That’s interesting. Is it a list of links in the background, rather than just a counter?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the number of bytes doesn't matter, it's less than a single embedded image
the problem is that opening and rendering a dropdown selector with so many thousands of options lags some browsers (particularly mobile browsers)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I live very north and it's hard. A sunlight lamp is a must have. Below just a random example, not recommendation for that particular model.

https://www.lumie.com/products/vitamin-l

Also vitamin D supplements.

And I try to go out in the middle of the day as much as I can. Now there's sunlight about 9.30am-3pm so if you work normal hours it's dark before and after.

So as much as possible I try to do shopping etc at noon so I see some light.

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Are there consistent rules in German for when a consonant sound is guttural or not, or is it an idiot bastard "you just need to learn how the word is pronounced" language like English?

I swear I've seen/heard ch and g both pronounced as either /χ/ or /ʃ/ , sometimes even in the same word. Case study:

I swear the pronunciation of "richtig" shifts between /χ/ and /ʃ/ on the "ch", and /χ/ and /g/ on the "g" (e: unless they're actually code switching and saying "really" in English, with an accent?! To my anglophone ear, that's how the phonemes register in lots of cases).

Is that how it is, and it's just like English in terms of inconsistent pronunciation of letters, or is my ear off? I swear I've heard "ich" pronounced as both /ɪʃ/ and /ɪχ/ in different instances!

Paging Antigravitas!

Not a native German speaker, but I think it is a north (ich) vs. south (ick) thing. Or, Bavaria+Austria saying “ick” vs the rest of Germany.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

That’s interesting. Is it a list of links in the background, rather than just a counter?

In this thread, we're on page 2198. If you look at the page source in a web browser, you can see the gigantic enumerated list of

code:
<option value="1">1</option><option value="2">2</option><option value="3">3</option>
...snipping out many many entries...
<option value="2197">2197</option><option value="2198" selected="selected">2198</option>
scrolling off way to the right of everything else. By a quick count, that list alone accounts for more than five percent of the size of the page source.

There are almost certainly better ways to do it, but hey, this works, and Jeffrey and company have had higher-priority things to fix/improve.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

TGD has threads for both psych meds and general psych questions.

In the US with Medicaid you generally start with locating a clinic that takes it and calling for an appointment with a PCP as a new patient. This will be a long wait but you deal with it while trying to find something sooner and if you can't wait that long because you're suicidal, you deal with a psych admission. Go to whatever PCP appointment you can find, explain that you're pretty sure you have SAD and need a psych referral. They might offer to start you on an antidepressant. It's your choice. They tell you to either call or wait for a call from their psych place.

If you live in a large enough city, there might be mental heath places that have sliding scales. Again, call and request a new patient appointment and the wait will be a while.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Paging Antigravitas!

It's mostly a dialect thing. The "proper" (and I cannot emphasize how big those :airquote: are) way to pronounce it is how you put it first, that is with a /χ/ on the "ch" and a /g/ on the "ig". However in casual speech many people relax the pronunciation on the "ig" so it comes out more like another /χ/, which goes for many words that end on "ig" (mächtig, prächtig, nichtig, etc...). Lots of people just find it comes out of the mouth easier that way, rather than having to enunciate the hard /g/. As such it's a fairly common thing, to the point where in practice the pronunciation on that is basically interchangeable.

The "ch" is more of a regional issue. Again, "properly" it's a /χ/, but e.g. around Berlin it often morphs into a /k/ when at the beginning or end of a word (e.g /iχ/ to /ik/ for "ich"). And elsewhere, like towards the east, it goes closer to a /ʃ/. That in turn can lead to a combo-substitution, where on an "ig" ending you go from /ɪg/ to /ɪχ/ to /ɪʃ/. Language is terrible :allears:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 29, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Perestroika posted:

It's mostly a dialect thing. The "proper" (and I cannot emphasize how big those :airquote: are) way to pronounce it is how you put it first, that is with a /χ/ on the "ch" and a /g/ on the "ig". However in casual speech many people relax the pronunciation on the "ig" so it comes out more like another /χ/, which goes for many words that end on "ig" (mächtig, prächtig, nichtig, etc...). Lots of people just find it comes out of the mouth easier that way, rather than having to enunciate the hard /g/. As such it's a fairly common thing, to the point where in practice the pronunciation on that is basically interchangeable.

The "ch" is more of a regional issue. Again, "properly" it's a /χ/, but e.g. around Berlin it often morphs into a /k/ when at the beginning or end of a word (e.g /iχ/ to /ik/ for "ich"). And elsewhere, like towards the east, it goes closer to a /ʃ/. That in turn can lead to a combo-substitution, where on an "ig" ending you go from /ɪg/ to /ɪχ/ to /ɪʃ/. Language is terrible :allears:

Cool! Nice to know I'm not going nuts, and it really does shift around. Thanks

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Anyone have any recommendations for a standing desk converter?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do fireproof lock boxes work? I'm looking for a small box to place things like birth certificates, passports and the Deceleration of Independence in.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Do fireproof lock boxes work? I'm looking for a small box to place things like birth certificates, passports and the Deceleration of Independence in.

Yeah they work but you have to pay attention to the details. Any of the ones worth considering will have a time and temp rating like 45 minutes at 550 degrees F or whatever.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Sure they work, it's just a box that can withstand temperatures expected from a house fire and keep the insides from getting hot enough to combust. If you put enough heat on them for a long enough time then they'll eventually stop working but I think the standard 120 minute protection is perfectly fine for like a house fire.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Just bear in mind that while those lockboxes (especially the ones from Walmart) are fine for fire, they aren’t really all that secure. Here’s one being opened with a circular saw. Here’s one opened with a coat hanger.

You’re gonna wanna get one that can be bolted to the floor, so that if you do fall victim to burglary the thief cant just take it and run.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just bury your poo poo in the yard op

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feel like the thief with a circular saw can probably get the box out of the floor too.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The problem isn't someone bringing a circular saw to your house, it's the fact that if someone sees a lock box in the house they're burglarizing then they're just going to pick it up and take it with them. It's unlikely that anyone is going to spend time safecracking on premise but it is good to have something that won't immediately open for a coat hanger if burglary is a concern.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I actually don’t keep my fire safe locked because it just has my vital and important documents in it.

My mother having one is the only reason I have some things from my childhood.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
If the box can only withstand 45 minutes of heat, and it's bolted to the floor, doesn't it just eventually burn up like the rest of the house? I thought the idea was to protect your poo poo long enough that it can be retrieved from the building, so bolting it down seems counterproductive.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's where the construction of your house comes in. If it's American cardboard, the whole thing is gone in two seconds, while a good wooden construction can burn far longer.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Squibsy posted:

If the box can only withstand 45 minutes of heat, and it's bolted to the floor, doesn't it just eventually burn up like the rest of the house? I thought the idea was to protect your poo poo long enough that it can be retrieved from the building, so bolting it down seems counterproductive.

If firefighters aren't dousing the place with water well before 45 minutes are up, you may have other concerns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Those boxes may also not protect from smoke. All of the items from my mother’s had smoke damage. They didn’t burn up, though.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't think firefighters will go into a house to retrieve objects in general, only living things, and they won't go for pets if the fire is bad enough. The idea is that the fire won't outlast the safe, there's obviously circumstances in which that's not the case but usually if you live in the city a fire can be put out pretty fast.

It's also a question of how long the highest temperatures are being maintained in that specific area of the house, like someone else said a lot of modern houses are made of oil and cardboard and will burn themselves out very quickly, and if you've got an older wooden house you can expect lower burning temperatures for a while before it really gets going.

Ultimately nothing you own can be perfectly physically safe forever and a safety deposit box is probably safer, but fireproof lock boxes are obviously cheaper in the long run and good enough for most people.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Friend built a double-walled enclosure out of fire bricks in the crawlspace under his house, it's basically a fire-resistant lockbox inside a brick box inside another brick box, with concrete lids. When he was a kid his family house burned to the ground and lost everything, which made an impression.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I dunno what it costs to build something like that but if you own your own place that's probably about as safe as your important stuff can get lol

I don't imagine that burglars check the crawlspace for brick boxes very often.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In places that salt the sidewalks to prevent freezing, how do cities avoid wrecking the adjacent soil with all the added salt content? Or is it somehow not an issue?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

PiratePrentice posted:

I dunno what it costs to build something like that but if you own your own place that's probably about as safe as your important stuff can get lol

I don't imagine that burglars check the crawlspace for brick boxes very often.

Yeah the burglary angle was part of it too. Don't think it was that expensive, it's not that big and he did it all himself, I'd guess under $150 in materials.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In places that salt the sidewalks to prevent freezing, how do cities avoid wrecking the adjacent soil with all the added salt content? Or is it somehow not an issue?

By having all salt end up on my bike chain, which fucks it up.

But more seriously, it probably barely enters the soil, it just sits on top before being washed away by meltwater and rain into the sewers.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The adjacent soil is already hosed around most sidewalks but I don't think I've lived anywhere where the sidewalks get salted, just shovelled or ignored. The road salt probably ends up in the adjacent soil a bit but it's not a huge amount anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It intrudes about a foot into the adjacent soil which is mostly a problem for street tree planters. Urban forestry departments deliberately select salt tolerant trees for this reason