Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

I’m not mad at it but it could be less silly while still serving the plot. Morpheus being pigeon king of the hobo assassins wasn't necessary to have him in the movie delivering 90% of the same lines

Morpheus being pigeon king of the hobo assassins ruled actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Even in the first one, I felt it was clear the underworld was bigger than it seemed. Like at the start there's the cop that responds to a noise complaint at Wick's house, sees the dead body and he's just like "oh I guess you're working again. Have a good one"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

its absurd but I thought the Keanu + Halle Berry + dogs fight in 3 was awesome, very dynamic with lots of camera movement, and his fight with the Raid guys in the glass museum or whatever was good and funny. plus when he loads the shotgun with steel ball bearings and just deletes guys' heads.

there's been a ton of very, very good setpieces across the 3 movies, but also some really boring grapple->headshot + my suit is bulletproof action scenes. take wick 2 for instance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TZCEyok_o
incredible mirror stuff, great shots, tons of cgi to delete the cameras. the little bit from 2:55 to 2:59 is fantastic.

vs the scene immediately before it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSM_nz6gKOI which is just boring as he kills his way through 50 nameless henchmen who can't hit him a single time and stand still to be shot in the head

but its all gonna be ok because my two main men of action , donnie yen and scott adkins, are gonna be in wick 4

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Dec 29, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
John Wick is the American James Bond in that he has no character traits beyond "The Coolest Guy Imaginable" - i have only seen the first john wick and refuse to accept input on this opinion

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Even in the first one, I felt it was clear the underworld was bigger than it seemed. Like at the start there's the cop that responds to a noise complaint at Wick's house, sees the dead body and he's just like "oh I guess you're working again. Have a good one"

That’s exactly the level it should’ve stayed at

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

John Wick is the American James Bond in that he has no character traits beyond "The Coolest Guy Imaginable" - i have only seen the first john wick and refuse to accept input on this opinion

he also likes dogs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Lance Reddick playing high status low status is a joy too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

indigi posted:

Lance Reddick playing high status low status is a joy too

Lance Reddick is always a joy and he never seems to stop working

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Tim and Eric Bedtime Stories episode they got him for is great too. He gets to tell a young man that all of the semen he ejaculated while masturbating in his parents' home was collected in a septic tank and that it was picked up by a tornado and dropped on a Catholic Hospital.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgX3ekVVXA

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Riot Bimbo posted:

Can't wait for john to dig a giant hole for 30 minutes to unearth the intact true cross and slowly drag it on foot to a church, it to a bit part played by a respected actor, slot it into place, activating a click, and asking for a bizarre and mystifying favor of a yet to be revealed nature before making GBS threads himself to death, his dog begins to lap the cadaverous feces, roll credits

a finale where Wick is revealed to be Jesus would be pretty cool tbh

reminds me if you want stupid movies with insane escalation in sequels check out the Dan Brown films. one has priest Ewan McGregor base jumping over the vatican for some reason

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

idk if this is interesting but I was looking at what's the break-even point for a film to make money from the box office. Long story short under a standard deal, according to what I can find, and assuming no A-list actor gets a percent of the gross, for every dollar of box office:

Sales tax $0.07
Theater $0.47
Distributer $0.16
Sales Agent $0.06
Production Company $0.24

So an indie film at the box office you need at least a little over 4x for the production to pay itself back. But that's ignoring advertising, which is done by the distributer not the production company, and the distributer pays themselves back after taking their cut so it's basically leveraged. In my simple model

A film with a budget of $1,000,000
And an advertising budget of $10,000,000
Both of which are extremely low end, would need to make minimum $37,000,000 at the box office to be profitable

edit: studios own their distribution, or like A24 started as a distribution company, and so don't need sales agents either. And because their films regularly draw audiences they can negotiate a better rate with theaters, so that the studio (including its distribution company) will take something like $0.53 from every ticket sold and can treat production budget and advertising as a unified budget, I think

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Dec 29, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's a shame Lance Reddick (and Jon Polito) got stuck with one of the worst Always Sunny episodes because he's great in it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

A film with a budget of $1,000,000
And an advertising budget of $10,000,000
Both of which are extremely low end, would need to make minimum $37,000,000 at the box office to be profitable
that makes sense but i guess the key thing is it's missing post-box office revenue. there's probably some assumed trailing revenue factor

the real stupid thing about hollywood is they've never made some kind of Steam but for movies. like streaming is not that profitable and pretty lovely overall actually because poo poo comes and goes and i've stopped streaming and just pirating everything so i know it's Always There. there's a ton of movies i'd be like 'man i'd love to buy this to say "this is good, make more of these'" but i just can't. and i'm not buying loving blu rays or dvds when i dont even have a player.

essentially there's no way to (barack obama-ishly) "Vote!" with your dollar with movies if you aren't going to theaters.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Dec 29, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's a shame Lance Reddick (and Jon Polito) got stuck with one of the worst Always Sunny episodes because he's great in it

I guess that don't leave me with no choice...

...but to be a mature-rear end adult about this poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I guess that don't leave me with no choice...

...but to be a mature-rear end adult about this poo poo.

it's a goddamn petition what the hell?!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah of course there are a lot of ways to make money from a film, streaming rights, international rights, educational rights, merchandise like posters and toys and t shirts, bluray and dvd etc.

I was just thinking about domestic box office only, which has probably the highest rate per dollar going to the film maker

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hmm i'm not super familiar with the biz but i don't think m/any small $1 million movies are getting a $10 million advertising budget

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

that makes sense but i guess the key thing is it's missing post-box office revenue. there's probably some assumed trailing revenue factor

the real stupid thing about hollywood is they've never made some kind of Steam but for movies. like streaming is not that profitable and pretty lovely overall actually because poo poo comes and goes and i've stopped streaming and just pirating everything so i know it's Always There. there's a ton of movies i'd be like 'man i'd love to buy this to say "this is good, make more of these'" but i just can't. and i'm not buying loving blu rays or dvds when i dont even have a player.

essentially there's no way to (barack obama-ishly) "Vote!" with your dollar with movies if you aren't going to theaters.

there's services like Vudu where you can rent a new-ish movies for $4 or $5

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I thought the general rule of thumb is that the ad budget is usually about equal to the budget of the film, so the total budget of the film with advertising is whatever the movie cost to make x2

But I also don't even remember where I heard that so

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hmm i'm not super familiar with the biz but i don't think m/any small $1 million movies are getting a $10 million advertising budget

a theatrical release pretty much requires multiple millions in advertising. I read get out was made for $4.5 million and had $30 million in advertising. (The Wrap)

Moonlight was made for $1.5 million and I bet did something similar

of course for both that was because they had oscar campaigns

Edit:

Deadline posted:

However, the situation with horror films more often is not is that studios go lean on Print and Advertising in their spend on these titles (under $20M) in seeking a greater upside.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Dec 29, 2022

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Xaris posted:

i think itunes attempted to do this at one point actually. apple wanted to be one big storefront for all your visual media to go along with its monopoly over your audio stuff

it didnt last very long, for some reason

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Tim and Eric Bedtime Stories episode they got him for is great too. He gets to tell a young man that all of the semen he ejaculated while masturbating in his parents' home was collected in a septic tank and that it was picked up by a tornado and dropped on a Catholic Hospital.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgX3ekVVXA

that show is so loving good

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

the John Wick assassin universe lore is pretty goofy but I'm always surprised it doesn't get more credit for evolving from a revenge story to a pretty on-the-nose metaphor for class struggle

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I thought the general rule of thumb is that the ad budget is usually about equal to the budget of the film, so the total budget of the film with advertising is whatever the movie cost to make x2

But I also don't even remember where I heard that so

that is true because most films have budgets in the tens of millions. My understanding is the real rule is that advertising budgets are between $20 and $50 million for studio films, maybe double or triple that for blockbusters

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

that is true because most films have budgets in the tens of millions. My understanding is the real rule is that advertising budgets are between $20 and $50 million for studio films

Ahh, see that makes more sense. it's still got to be significantly inflated when it comes to poo poo like Star Wars or Marvel, like the movies that HAVE to make hundreds of millions of dollars in order to keep things moving, right?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gato posted:

the John Wick assassin universe lore is pretty goofy but I'm always surprised it doesn't get more credit for evolving from a revenge story to a pretty on-the-nose metaphor for class struggle

So on the nose that I didn't get that at all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

So on the nose that I didn't get that at all
the class war is that lower class and homeless people don't exist. they're actually all secret millionaires who're only panhandling for work and funsies.

(morpheus as pigeon king kicks rear end but also lol)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ahh, see that makes more sense. it's still got to be significantly inflated when it comes to poo poo like Star Wars or Marvel, like the movies that HAVE to make hundreds of millions of dollars in order to keep things moving, right?

its also why big movies are more profitable in a sense, because advertising budgets don't scale well with production budget, but box office does. Advertising requires less of a percent of every seat filled

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Antonymous posted:

the first one has worse lore than assassins creed. there are coins that only assassins can spend or something. total cringe

you don't like premium currency?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You can't like a dumb movie. It has to fit into your politicz

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xaris posted:

There's a bunch of places that let you permanently buy a digital version. Just off the top of my head amazon, itunes, google, and redbox all let you do this and I know for sure there's others.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Why are there Super Mario coins in my action movie…WHY ARE THERE SUPER MARIO COINS IN MY ACTION MOVIE

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Why are there Super Mario coins in my action movie…WHY ARE THERE SUPER MARIO COINS IN MY ACTION MOVIE
they're actually donkey kong country 2 coins. get it right

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

when John Wick shoots another assassin all their coins should pop out

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Here is a breakdown of a normal advertising budget at 27 million

I think $1,000 per print seems high, especially in bulk, since I could get a one off for $750 or so. (prints are now on $25 thumb drives as I understand it, just paying for labor and quality control) but I guess the rest is right.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Srice posted:

There's a bunch of places that let you permanently buy a digital version. Just off the top of my head amazon, itunes, google, and redbox all let you do this and I know for sure there's others.
Or Movies Anywhere, which will link many of these store purchases together.

Personally, I've paused my digital purchases because the steaming quality from some sources has gotten noticeably worse (Vudu will drop below 720p or stutter frequently), more often now the digital copy itself hasn't been touched up and is too dark or grainy even though other releases have been remastered, they'll try to fool you with dub-only versions or an SD version when the HD is available, and they're still chasing dumb DRM features like prohibiting screenshots. I had no problem paying for access to digital copies before that monkey business.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Srice posted:

Of course, we've witnessed some of these digital stores shut down in the past, but you should definitely trust google to not shut down the video store if it becomes unprofitable, just like they did stadia (the video game store) 3 months ago.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
good to know some kinda exist but basically this is why ive never bothered looking into them. between a bunch of dumb DRM that prevent you from playing it on any platform, random version fuckery, quality, shutdowns, spotty releases, etc. pirating is still the easiest and most consumer-friendly option (meanwhile i've stopped pirating games like 12+ years ago because steam is so much easier).

Substandard posted:

Of course, we've witnessed some of these digital stores shut down in the past, but you should definitely trust google to not shut down the video store if it becomes unprofitable, just like they did stadia (the video game store) 3 months ago.

Knight posted:

Personally, I've paused my digital purchases because the steaming quality from some sources has gotten noticeably worse (Vudu will drop below 720p or stutter frequently), more often now the digital copy itself hasn't been touched up and is too dark or grainy even though other releases have been remastered, they'll try to fool you with dub-only versions or an SD version when the HD is available, and they're still chasing dumb DRM features like prohibiting screenshots. I had no problem paying for access to digital copies before that monkey business.

the main thing is having all releases on one platform (and not 2 years late), not needing to looka round between 4-10 different platforms to find it, reliability, ability to easily play on any machine/tv without fuckery.

e: also i'd actually like a guarantee that the production company actually benefits from digital purchases and not just into the void

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Dec 29, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
amazing that the funny fatman from half life figured out how to stop piracy better than two entire all-american industries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the equalizer came out the same year as john wick and it was better
i hope they make a third one but i'm guessing since there's the queen latifah tv show it's not gonna happen :(