Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lol, you already saw their price for the 4080lite 4070ti. It's not going to be more affordable.

The 4070 might be more affordable but then I think it'll not be a better option than a 3080 10GB off eBay unless you refuse anything but new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

$550 shipped 3080: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155330108666

$389 shipped 3070: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155288007717

That’s what is available this very second as Buy It Now; plenty pop up that are rounded down to what I was saying.

Don't buy a $389 3070 from ebay when EVGA has b-stock available for $400: https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3070

I can count the number of working 3070s I've seen sell for $300 on one hand. "Rounding down" doesn't count.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
On vacation in Tokyo and stopped by a PC shop and saw a bunch of 4090s in stock…for around 300,000¥ (~$2250). Pretty sure eBay scalpers aren’t even charging that much lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's suggested not mandated retail pricing

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

and computer hardware is always a lot more expensive in japan for whatever reason. though i'm sure the only 4090s in stock will be the most expensive models (rog strix, etc)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I only bought cyberpunk during some steam sale this year
because this thread kept bringing it up

Was kinda reluctant about it because it was received not fondly among queer people and didn't want to make by girlfriend uncomfortable by playing it, initially

Installed it on 21 december or so and basically spent every waking moment that wasn't a Christmas activity in that game. I'm dreaming the hacking minigame at night, legit seriously

Only a few games manage to suck me in like that

I don't know what it is but it feels like this is my hole and it was made for me

It's a great game. The criticism was justified at the start but the devs continued to work on it and it's in a good spot now.
Sometimes internet bandwagons can get overwhelming and people miss out on stuff they would have really liked, and it's a shame.

If anyone else here hasn't tried Cyberpunk yet, they really should.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a great game. The criticism was justified at the start but the devs continued to work on it and it's in a good spot now.
Sometimes internet bandwagons can get overwhelming and people miss out on stuff they would have really liked, and it's a shame.

Saves still get corrupted constantly, cross save still doesn't work and the game is just kinda dull. Yeah they've done a lot of work but it's still a technical mess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't buy a $389 3070 from ebay when EVGA has b-stock available for $400: https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3070

I can count the number of working 3070s I've seen sell for $300 on one hand. "Rounding down" doesn't count.

:thunk:

That's pretty tempting. I paid around $400 for my 1070 so mentally that's a reasonable price. Doesn't seem like they have any b-stock on the EU site though, the cheapest 3070 is 550EUR :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

Saves still get corrupted constantly, cross save still doesn't work and the game is just kinda dull. Yeah they've done a lot of work but it's still a technical mess.

I haven’t heard of widespread (or really any) save corruption issues and I have over 200 hours in the game myself. Cross saves (PlayStation to pc and vice versa) worked fine for me, if a bit slowly.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Apart from the fact it's a shell of a game missing basic dynamic elements we've come to expect for literal decades from the likes of GTA, and even with all bugs patched, it would still not be close to what was promised.
The way the story unfolds through random phone calls as you go to different areas is also really jarring. I've spent about 50 hours in the game (admittedly mostly around launch), and there's definitely fun to be had, but I don't think it can overall be considered a success.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 29, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NVIDIA Settles On $799 MSRP For The GeForce NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti (rumor)

$100 lower than the original 4080 12GB pricing, which is roughly what I was expecting. It's really disappointing that there's almost zero price-to-performance improvement over last gen, but I suppose that this can at the very least serve as a sort-of replacement of the 3080, which has disappeared from most retail channels in the US. It should be a little better (~20% if it ends up equaling the 3090 Ti) for $100 more. Lame gen-on-gen improvement, but at least it's not backwards like the 4080? (there are some whispers of a 4080 price drop too, but nothing even semi-concrete)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 29, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So why were queer people upset by this? I played through the game as a not-straight person and nothing stood out to me

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

NVIDIA Settles On $799 MSRP For The GeForce NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti (rumor)

$100 lower than the original 4080 12GB pricing, which is roughly what I was expecting. It's really disappointing that there's almost zero price-to-performance improvement over last gen, but I suppose that this can at the very least serve as a sort-of replacement of the 3080, which has disappeared from most retail channels in the US. It should be a little better (~20% if it ends up equaling the 3090 Ti) for $100 more. Lame gen-on-gen improvement, but at least it's not backwards like the 4080? (there are some whispers of a 4080 price drop too, but nothing even semi-concrete)

It's still nuts that the 4090 is the best price/performance card. They need to lop another $100 off at the bare minimum.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

FlamingLiberal posted:

So why were queer people upset by this? I played through the game as a not-straight person and nothing stood out to me

If I recall correctly it was the parts of the game where you're forced to play as Silverhand and have a sex scene with a woman. Made sense as part of the narrative but evidently people didn't like feeling railroaded into a man's body and boning a lady.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Martian Manfucker posted:

If I recall correctly it was the parts of the game where you're forced to play as Silverhand and have a sex scene with a woman. Made sense as part of the narrative but evidently people didn't like feeling railroaded into a man's body and boning a lady.

i don't remember all the details and this probably isn't the thread for it but iirc there was also a controversy with some in game advertising that crudely sexualised trans people and when called out their social media guy gave a really poor response

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i don't remember all the details and this probably isn't the thread for it but iirc there was also a controversy with some in game advertising that crudely sexualised trans people and when called out their social media guy gave a really poor response

This is closer to what real people were actually upset about. The problem was pretty much that CDPR put trans content in the game and marketing and patted themselves on the back over it when what they actually did was pretty off-putting to a lot of trans people. I'm not sure it was ever a huge deal but it came off as exploitative and ill thought out more than anything.

I do like Cyberpunk 2077, but it's still buggy even after all the fixes and the game will never live up to what people expected. It has some good missions and story elements but as an open world it feels like it's missing quite a bit.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Here's a hot take: I finished cyberpunk but cannot beat the Witcher 3 because I keep getting stuck in side quest hell and playing 18 million games of Gwent with dwarves.

Send help.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

VorpalFish posted:

Here's a hot take: I finished cyberpunk but cannot beat the Witcher 3 because I keep getting stuck in side quest hell and playing 18 million games of Gwent with dwarves.

Send help.

sounds like you're playing the game correctly to me

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Here's how Intel's success can be explained: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sales-of-desktop-graphics-cards-hit-20-year-low

Nobody is buying GPUs at all. AMD just has old stock to sell, the 4xxx series is too expensive, anybody who wanted a 30xx GPU already bought one.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maybe my timing is just bad, but i definitely haven't found any great used ampere cards the way i got my pascal card when turing was out over here in europe

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twerk from Home posted:

Here's how Intel's success can be explained: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sales-of-desktop-graphics-cards-hit-20-year-low

Nobody is buying GPUs at all. AMD just has old stock to sell, the 4xxx series is too expensive, anybody who wanted a 30xx GPU already bought one.
Most people who bought a 30 series are not going to be falling over themselves to buy a 40 series

Especially since they are way more expensive

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Oof, speaking of Witcher 3 just fired it up for the first time in months, noticed the rt update, and now I'm only getting 50 fps at 1440 even with dlss on a 3080 10G capped at 230w. Brutal, but buying a new 1000+ GPU would be so stupid for how little I game.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I'm over here in the corner with a 970 just waiting

I might just pick up a used 3090 at this point

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

WilWheaton posted:

I'm over here in the corner with a 970 just waiting

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ten eighty tee eye
Till the day it dies

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 970 has got to be rough at this point even for its age, i don't think the driver heuristics to work around the wonky memory bus apply to DX12 or vulkan

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i'm still using a laptop 1070 and honestly i haven't felt much pressure to upgrade

i might go for a 40xx laptop if they look good but otherwise i think i could pretty easily hang out until the 50xx series

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

repiv posted:

the 970 has got to be rough at this point even for its age, i don't think the driver heuristics to work around the wonky memory bus apply to DX12 or vulkan

It is very rough for newer games but I haven't found a compelling game to upgrade for. I mainly play multiplayer stuff and New World was a bust, so was BF2042, and every CoD feels the same. I can run older shooters just fine.

I don't know if there is an absence of truly innovative multiplayer games in the past 3 years, or if I'm just getting old. Probably both.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

amd shares goes from 25% of the market to 10% over the course of 2022 when historically its just hovered around 25-30% the market is weird. I would love to see amd's sales number when they get around to posting that for investors.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

So since Nvidia announced they'll remove their Gamestream thing, I tried to convert my PC=>Gamestream_lauchpad=>Playnite=>Nvidia Shield using Moonlight from GFE Gamestream to Sunshine. I can't figure a way to have the host mute the audio automatically like it did with Nvidia's gamestream. I also figured out to edit my gamestream_launchpad files to be able to run the script to change my desktop's resolution to 1080p or 4k depending on which "app" I launched in Moonlight but when I exit a game after starting it from Playnite, Playnite is unsuable from the Shield with a controller. It's so wonky compared to how Gamestream with Moonlight was just working that I didn't try it a lot... Since I can hear the audio from my PC, I noticed quite a delay from audio cues when I moved in the menu of the game I was testing. Everything is on wired gigabit in my house.

I really don't relish the idea of buying a second gaming PC to hook up in the living room, especially since I need (it's a sickness) to crank everything up so I would at least need the same 3080TI that I currently have in my main PC. If I was a flight sim/racing fanatic, I would get a cockpit setup close to the living room TV and just plug in the TV when I want to game with a controller friendly one.

What are you guys using to enjoy your good GPU on other devices? I was quite content with Gamestream and my Shield Pro. I guess Nvidia wants to force people on Geforce Now and no more of using their own GPU to remote game in the same house since it was free which is like the false piracy truths I guess (everyone using gamestream would be a Geforce Now customer if they didn't have gamestream like every case of piracy on a game is a lost sale).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wargames posted:

amd shares goes from 25% of the market to 10% over the course of 2022 when historically its just hovered around 25-30% the market is weird. I would love to see amd's sales number when they get around to posting that for investors.

AMD's GPUs are competing for the exact same fab allocation as their CPUs, which are on a huge successful run and getting real market share: https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/10/amd_cpu_share/. AMD's server CPUs are now the premium product with a premium price, and making tons of money for AMD. I'd bet that a given wafer is worth much, much more money as Epyc Genoa or now Milan than it is any GPU at all, so I'd bet their datacenter success means there just isn't much AMD GPU to go around for the next few years.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
guess it's time to drop your unreal engine 5 hot takes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH3wS_Ld33U

(better that than talking about the dodgy voice audio)

kliras fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 29, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

does it even count as a stalker game if the engine isn't held together by duct tape and string

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MarcusSA posted:

This has me thinking about getting an XTX to replace my 3080.

I'm just not so sure that spending $1600+ on a video card is worth it.

Edit: I almost pulled the trigger on the $1749 MSI card but its like 2k with tax and thats a bit much

I got my XTX below MSRP because of long-formed friendships with fellow nerds. In practical terms, I paid £989 for my card which the same retailer is hawking for £1,200. After selling my old card and the fractional tax relief I can claim on the new card, it's not that big of an outlay.

So on top of the absolutely appalling stock cooler, AMD's pricing seems to be 'meh' at best and 'poo poo' at worst. If they have the margin to scalp nVidia, now seems like a prime time to do so.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Poster above is likely correct; amd is probably not producing very many of these cards at all. Where I can even find the xtx in stock, it's generally a model priced above the 4080 even.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most people who bought a 30 series are not going to be falling over themselves to buy a 40 series

Yeah I’m not paying nvidia what scalpers wanted for the 30 series. gently caress em

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

:hai: sleeping soundly through this gen with my 3080, wake me up for the 5xxx announcement

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
New check in with Intel drivers, this time with 1% lows. https://youtu.be/IyFlXxw_VLk

Good improvements in dx9, amazing increase in cs go specifically, but otherwise it’s pretty flat. They mention that drivers seem more stable, too

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hemish posted:

What are you guys using to enjoy your good GPU on other devices? I was quite content with Gamestream and my Shield Pro.

Steam Link since it is available on plenty of TVs and any device you can install Steam on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hemish posted:

What are you guys using to enjoy your good GPU on other devices?

Back in the day we would use the old GPU and stick into the media living room pc when I lived with roommates, gave it a separate sound card so it could do fun poo poo with the receiver, and play the highest quality movies we could get. Eventually shoving enough HDDs in it we would essentially stop watching regular tv once we hooked a blu ray drive and an hd-dvd drive into it.