Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Magil Zeal posted:

The wiki suggests traps do block wagons (as well as certain other things like doors, even lever-operated ones left open), though it's good to make certain there is a clear path to the edge of the map as well that's not blocked by boulders or the like. Building a road to the edge of the map can keep a clear path that won't become obstructed by trees.

Is it still the case where every arriving caravan will come from a path that meets an edge instead of random spots on the edges? I remember in old 2d days, you actually had to build a road to the edge if you wanted wagons to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I told myself I didn't want to request help/seek out specific info, but I've been making exceptions when an issue is especially ridiculous.

I'm being terrorized by a giant bird with a grudge.

There is a giant agitated wren that has been swooping around the 50-60 elevation range. At some point, it seems like he was hit with a crossbow bolt (hence the agitation). I'm guessing this is before he retreated to the skies, because even my best marks marksdwarves can't touch him. His presence keeps interrupting my woodcutters, fishers, plant gatherers, hunters, and wood collectors. Pretty much anyone who exits the fortress. It seems like tasks eventually get done, but at a way slower pace, and it's been killing their moods.

This has been going on for a full year.

How do I get rid of this awful beast?

Edit: I'm gonna call this my gangtag submission if that's still going on.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

To anyone using pens/pastures in open areas: I noticed a lot of my dwarves were wasting time to walk over to the pasture to grab an animal because it walked two tiles out of the pasture. I recommend putting a wall with door around your pasture so the animals can't wander out and make dwarves go manhandle them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Fish Appreciator posted:

I told myself I didn't want to request help/seek out specific info, but I've been making exceptions when an issue is especially ridiculous.

There is a giant agitated wren that has been swooping around the 50-60 elevation range. At some point, it seems like he was hit with a crossbow bolt (hence the agitation). I'm guessing this is before he retreated to the skies, because even my best marks marksdwarves can't touch him. His presence keeps interrupting my woodcutters, fishers, plant gatherers, hunters, and wood collectors. Pretty much anyone who exits the fortress. It seems like tasks eventually get done, but at a way slower pace, and it's been killing their moods.

Seal up your fort and unseal it in 100 years.

If its still there well youve got a problem.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you set the Number of Werebeast Curse Types to 0, the world has no werebeasts. At least that's how it's worked for me :shrug:

I tried to build an open-air quarry fort!

Someone was unhappy about in in summer of year 2.

I don't even have doors built yet lmao. Hopefully it tires itself out punching the Great Warhogs' heads into gore and leaves.

e: Oh my god a great warthog gored its eye out with a tusk and blinded it, then it killed the great warthog and summoned a Demon Dog from its corpse. But because it was blind it started attacking the Demon Dog and traumatized itself by killing its pet. Then it sat down to take a nap.

e2: It has now been standing at the corpse of its dead Demon Dog for two full seasons. Because it feels no emotions, it is not bothered by being unoccupied.

e3: Migrants showed up and stumbled across it on their way to the fort. it instantly transformed one into a lich and the two of them killed everyone. RIP.

A diety? Is that a mod thing or something exceptionally rare that can happen in base DF?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Nea posted:

A diety? Is that a mod thing or something exceptionally rare that can happen in base DF?

It was a demon/lich disguised as a deity I assume, I don't think deities manifest physically in unmodded DF.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't think liches are in unmodded DF either, so it's pretty certainly a mod.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Oh, wagons can't pass traps? That explains a lot, cheers! Mostly just had them there for random wildlife wandering by.

Put the depot farther out in that corridor, and put the cage traps behind it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fish Appreciator posted:

Put down some weapons traps, I recommend iron (or steel) menacing spikes. Honestly it's probably overkill but that sounds like exactly the amount of kill you need. Put them around outside near where the attacks are happening. If you feel like being an overachiever try and put some walls down around the traps in such a way that if goblins or some such come along later they'll be inclined to pass over the traps, get creative with it. Because the thing is while it'll probably take some time (and lives) just because flying creatures don't have to touch the ground Z level doesn't mean they never actually do. My outside weapons traps occasionally spring on an unlucky kea who tries to steal something off a goblin corpse. If you can lure this beast onto a well stocked weapons trap for even one decent hit that'll probably be game over.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

resistentialism posted:

This is "the lieutenant" who hangs around in my tavern, or aimlessly flies around

Oh no!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

New embark: completely flat except for one little 10x20 1-z-level mound mid right. Brook along the entire north third. Volcano dead center at the south third, right at ground level. Caverns down 10 levels, then another 5, then another 10. Plenty of precious metals, and iron and coal. No aquifer I’ve seen.

This is gonna be hawt. Welcome to Ballslapped, strike the earth!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'd be happy with werebeasts as early game surface threats, if they couldn't failure spiral the entire fort from an unlucky wound.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

a7m2 posted:

Animal pens. Pro-tip: Keep your cats in your food stockpiles, they'll deal with vermin

Oh cool, I would have thoughts cats would ignore such assignments.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay I think something is bugged about item availability in my current fort. I have a second mood that seems like it might fail now, despite having all possible items available.

Picked up so far: Gold bar, cave spider silk cloth, pecan wood logs.
Sketching pictures of: shining bars of metal, stacked cloth, rough gems, a forest, skeletons, a quarry, square blocks.

I have plenty of raw gems, both natural and raw glass, plenty of various rocks, plenty of rock blocks, and just butchered another few animals. She's just staying there, I don't understand why she won't pick up any of the plenty of items I have available.

Edit: Never mind, suddenly she did grab the remaining items.

Edit 2: She made a left gauntlet in gold, called The Confusing Responsibilities.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 29, 2022

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

do you have all kinds of cloth?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Two forgotten beasts arrived a few days after each other.

I think they're moving towards each other.

Edit 2: The fire one is totally winning, it doesn't have a scratch.
Also, "It is incredibly tough, but it is quite clumsy and unquestionably weak." So it's both tough and weak, huh.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 29, 2022

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to make tubes using raw glass, or can you only make them from sand?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to make tubes using raw glass, or can you only make them from sand?

Raw glass is basically just an uncut gem. You need sand for making glass objects.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captainicus posted:

To anyone using pens/pastures in open areas: I noticed a lot of my dwarves were wasting time to walk over to the pasture to grab an animal because it walked two tiles out of the pasture. I recommend putting a wall with door around your pasture so the animals can't wander out and make dwarves go manhandle them.

Some random pasture tips:

Animals prefer meeting areas over their pasture; Animals most commonly seem to leave the pasture to find a meeting area. Putting a meeting area inside of their pasture (overlapping the zones) or building the pasture around the starting wagon will make them congregate in that area of the pasture. Putting a meeting area dead center in an otherwise very large pasture will generally keep most animals from wandering out of the zone without having to wall it off.

Otherwise, pets will seek out their owners periodically and animals who have a trainer relationship will sometimes follow their trainers around the fort. The former can be avoided by not pasturing pets unless they're grazing animals, the latter can be avoided by minimizing traffic through pasture areas.

Putting a pasture in an out of the way area - as in, not above any fortress areas, and not in any common outdoor job areas - will minimize the degree to which animals wander outside of the pasture and will also make the FPS impact of animals in the pasture relatively negligible. It will also prevent the aforementioned "animal trainer trails 17 war dogs through the fortress" problem that starts so many animal hauling jobs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are you implying I should be pasturing my herd of war dogs?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
How does the whole "seeing" invaders/ambushers work in this game? I've noticed that I'll see doors/hatches animate with invisible mobs as things pass through them, but will a chained/pastured animal in the right spot be considered to have line of sight for that?

e:

Azhais posted:

Are you implying I should be pasturing my herd of war dogs?

they're usually more useful pastured ime, if you station them by entrances, as opposed to following people uselessly around the fort

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Somehow I hosed up stairs please help.

I went and built some stairs to go down to the next floor down, but when I selected a zone to mine it also kinda overwrote the stairs that were there and now I have stairs that kinda go nowhere and the dwarfs can't mind in the floor below?

e to add, I also have a problem where I can't seem to cancel or delete whatever this stair thing is:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 29, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

nielsm posted:

So it's both tough and weak, huh.

"Tough" refers to durability, not strength.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Raenir Salazar posted:

I went and built some stairs to go down to the next floor down, but when I selected a zone to mine it also kinda overwrote the stairs that were there and now I have stairs that kinda go nowhere and the dwarfs can't mind in the floor below?

Designate the stairs from the Z-level above and try remining

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Raenir Salazar posted:

Stairs are finicky because they have to span multiple z-levels and you have to be able to have either sight or mineable designations on multiple floors to fix them

If you have regular floor and "down stairs" on the floor directly above, you should be able to designate construction of stairs from the mined floor up to the existing stairs (and then manually cancel building the already-existing down stairs)

If you're at a very low z-level and the area below your mined-out stairs is "semi-molten rock", there's no way to mine through that directly, you didn't mess anything up

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

nielsm posted:

Two forgotten beasts arrived a few days after each other.

I think they're moving towards each other.

Edit 2: The fire one is totally winning, it doesn't have a scratch.
Also, "It is incredibly tough, but it is quite clumsy and unquestionably weak." So it's both tough and weak, huh.

So assuming Forgotten Beasts are basically kaiju, does that make this one Anguirus?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Designate the stairs from the Z-level above and try remining

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Stairs are finicky because they have to span multiple z-levels and you have to be able to have either sight or mineable designations on multiple floors to fix them

If you have regular floor and "down stairs" on the floor directly above, you should be able to designate construction of stairs from the mined floor up to the existing stairs (and then manually cancel building the already-existing down stairs)

If you're at a very low z-level and the area below your mined-out stairs is "semi-molten rock", there's no way to mine through that directly, you didn't mess anything up

Thanks y'all, I think what I managed to do is as Ursine said I could construct Stairs that go up from the below level and I discovered/found the Eraser button to delete the stairs that were below. :)

e: Is there a more convenient way of queueing up tasks at a work shop than either clicking the Infinite button or reclicking the task one at a time? I'd prefer to just quickly click a Plus icon or similar or enter a number of how many barrels I want.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 29, 2022

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thanks y'all, I think what I managed to do is as Ursine said I could construct Stairs that go up from the below level and I discovered/found the Eraser button to delete the stairs that were below. :)

e: Is there a more convenient way of queueing up tasks at a work shop than either clicking the Infinite button or reclicking the task one at a time? I'd prefer to just quickly click a Plus icon or similar or enter a number of how many barrels I want.

Appoint a manager in the Noble screen, it's the crown icon at the bottom left of your screen. You then need to place a chair and make an office area, assign that manager to that office. You can now use the clipboard icon to assign number tasks and recurring jobs

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone else is getting tired of it with the fixed announcements.txt, [AMBUSH_AMBUSHER] is the line for cavern invaders.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Should a bedroom include a door to be a proper bedroom? Does the Bedroom zone need to also extend to the door? They seem to have no problem entering/leaving?

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Appoint a manager in the Noble screen, it's the crown icon at the bottom left of your screen. You then need to place a chair and make an office area, assign that manager to that office. You can now use the clipboard icon to assign number tasks and recurring jobs

Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In case anyone else is getting tired of it with the fixed announcements.txt, [AMBUSH_AMBUSHER] is the line for cavern invaders.

This probably also covers things like elves springing from ambush, and kobold thieves discovered skulking.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

This probably also covers things like elves springing from ambush, and kobold thieves discovered skulking.

Yeah, it unfortunately probably covers a lot more, but unfortunately since this game counts "seeing any new mob in an invasion" as it's own alert, stuff like this gets unfortunately common

the ones actually called out in the text file are
code:
[AMBUSH_DEFENDER:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_RESIDENT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_HERO:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT_SKULKING:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT_NATURE:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_MISCHIEVOUS:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_SNATCHER:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_SNATCHER_SUPPORT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_AMBUSHER_NATURE:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_AMBUSHER:A_D:D_D:ALERT]
[AMBUSH_INJURED:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_OTHER:A_D:D_D:ALERT:P:R]
[AMBUSH_INCAPACITATED:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
so at the very least snatchers and thieves get their own lines

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So I expanded my tavern and therefore let some of my artifacts become walkable and now they're walkable-ing out of the fort. I get notifications saying "Someone saw someone stealing Artifact!" but it never says who so how do I find out whose skull to bash in?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thank you! That announcement spam is a nightmare.

However, it seems that the "units get screwed up and your save won't load anymore" bug is probably related to cavern invaders. My save got corrupted and wouldn't load anymore. I went back to an earlier save and reloaded but it still corrupted after a certain season/year. I saw a thread on reddit saying the units that were screwed up were cavern dwellers and turning off cavern dwellers (under settings, difficulty, custom difficulty) fixed it on a backup save for the guy who posted there, and it fixed it for me as well. So, until there is a hotfix, I really recommend turning Cavern Dweller Scale and Cavern Dweller Maximum Attackers down to 0. This bug can make your whole game completely unloadable, so if you don't do this, at least have multiple backup saves. I got lucky and had a different timeline backup from about 3 hours before I could revert to, but it could have been much worse.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Justice screen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone seen any kobolds at all lately? I'm wondering if they're just getting wiped out in world gen every time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone seen any kobolds at all lately? I'm wondering if they're just getting wiped out in world gen every time.

They're there but it seems like world gen has to stop at like 50 or they get killed off.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thank you! That announcement spam is a nightmare.

However, it seems that the "units get screwed up and your save won't load anymore" bug is probably related to cavern invaders. My save got corrupted and wouldn't load anymore. I went back to an earlier save and reloaded but it still corrupted after a certain season/year. I saw a thread on reddit saying the units that were screwed up were cavern dwellers and turning off cavern dwellers (under settings, difficulty, custom difficulty) fixed it on a backup save for the guy who posted there, and it fixed it for me as well. So, until there is a hotfix, I really recommend turning Cavern Dweller Scale and Cavern Dweller Maximum Attackers down to 0. This bug can make your whole game completely unloadable, so if you don't do this, at least have multiple backup saves. I got lucky and had a different timeline backup from about 3 hours before I could revert to, but it could have been much worse.

I can still load my game so until it crashes hard, I'm going to continue with my existing approrach of "make a multi-z-level tunnel to lure them into, then lock it off at both ends and pump water into it until it turns into a pressurized hose of invader puree"

but I will be keeping that in mind as a plan B if this one fails

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're there but it seems like world gen has to stop at like 50 or they get killed off.

I've had kobold thieves in my fortress, which is at the year 125ish (I stopped worldgen around 127). This location is not near any goblins, but it has humans, elves, and dwarves near enough for contact/trade. So it's not every time at least, but maybe if there are too many civs nearby they get wiped out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've got the same three kobold thieves coming in every year to get spooked off by a dog, at year 200.