Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Are all towers on world maps necromancer towers? They only ever say 'human tower' or 'dwarven tower'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nea posted:

A diety? Is that a mod thing or something exceptionally rare that can happen in base DF?

It's this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2907557244

Dark Ages 5: War & Mythos

Essentially it makes everything in the world awful and want to kill you. There are illithids and wizards as other civs, multiple castes of vampires, dieties, liches, etc. And they all have the ability to cast spells and throw fireballs and stuff. You can even take lil Iron Dwarf Golems as livestock that can shoot lightning bolts.

Highly recommend the companion mod No Giant Birds:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2905366511&searchtext=no+giant+birds

johnny park posted:

Are all towers on world maps necromancer towers? They only ever say 'human tower' or 'dwarven tower'.

Yep. There are other towers you can read about in legends mode (or find in adventure mode?) which are not necromancer towers, but they are all buildings inside human cities. Any that you see on the world map are necromancers.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 29, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can still load my game so until it crashes hard, I'm going to continue with my existing approrach of "make a multi-z-level tunnel to lure them into, then lock it off at both ends and pump water into it until it turns into a pressurized hose of invader puree"

but I will be keeping that in mind as a plan B if this one fails

Yeah, I just recommend making some regular backup saves if you are leaving them on so you have some checkpoint you can revert to and turn them off if they start corrupting your save. I thought I was going to have to put my whole fortress on hold until there's a hotfix (which I'm guessing won't be until next week at the earliest), so I'm glad I could do this as at least a temporary fix.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol at this fuckhuge trail of blood from when a goblin was running from my militia

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If the dwarves found out what?!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I just recommend making some regular backup saves if you are leaving them on so you have some checkpoint you can revert to and turn them off if they start corrupting your save. I thought I was going to have to put my whole fortress on hold until there's a hotfix (which I'm guessing won't be until next week at the earliest), so I'm glad I could do this as at least a temporary fix.

Yeah, I think I'll be making some yearly manual backups at this point, my fort's in deep enough that I think the only thing that would really destroy it would be a hard crash or incredible drunk fuckup on my part

I am amused that I think I was saved for years by the fact that I kept getting forgotten beasts coming in and pruning the caverns for me

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's happening with Dwarf Therapist and the Steam release? Only thing stopping me from playing right now.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Qubee posted:

What's happening with Dwarf Therapist and the Steam release? Only thing stopping me from playing right now.

You don't need it with some of the UI improvements

Labor management is much easier.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

one of my speardwarves solo'd like four goblins while the other guys in his squad loving caught their breath or something, ended up with a broken arm, and then his wife created an artifact

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone have a handy tutorial video for military stuff? I think I’ve gotten a pretty good starter handle on the basics except for that

Also, should I do the tutorial for it or is there a way to make that annoying rear end dialog go away after every worldgen

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

New embark: completely flat except for one little 10x20 1-z-level mound mid right. Brook along the entire north third. Volcano dead center at the south third, right at ground level. Caverns down 10 levels, then another 5, then another 10. Plenty of precious metals, and iron and coal. No aquifer I’ve seen.

This is gonna be hawt. Welcome to Ballslapped, strike the earth!

:staredog: Give me your seed

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Anyone have a handy tutorial video for military stuff? I think I’ve gotten a pretty good starter handle on the basics except for that

Also, should I do the tutorial for it or is there a way to make that annoying rear end dialog go away after every worldgen

I've been watching this guy's videos, they're pretty good + to the point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCb0ag5dVBk

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Dante posted:

Give me your seed :heysexy:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
by the by, i saw people saying you can't get the legendary dining room thought in a tavern. this isn't true, you just have to have it zoned as a dining hall and not as a meeting area. you can make a tavern from both.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks!!

Unrelated, but I couldn’t figure out why I was running out of booze. Turns out I had assigned a tavern keeper to the tavern, and the wiki says that they overserve everyone lol

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone seen any kobolds at all lately? I'm wondering if they're just getting wiped out in world gen every time.

I somehow had a single living city of kobolds left in a 250 years generated world but otherwise they’re pretty rare and seem to go extinct before 100 years is up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Some military tips I've been using to enforce peaceful forts in savage evil biomes:

If you make your barracks rooms out of fortifications (either constructed or smoothed), your battle dwarves can see through the walls. So the best place to build a barracks is at the entrance to your fort, made out of fortifications. I set my battle dwarves to use this as a dorm as well as for training. Then either stick the entire squad on 24/7 training or set up a custom schedule that keeps 3-4 training at all times. They're not simply training anymore, they're both training and acting as automated front gate guards (you don't even need to give them attack orders for basic enemies - they see them through the fortification and attack on their own)

The fewer entrances to your base, the better, try not to have more entrances than you have squads to stand on guard (while training) at them

Different weapons do different things as often noted, but a combination of steel battle-axes + either maces or warhammers covers all your needs. You can safely ignore spears and swords if you want.

Make sure your dwarves have shields. Any shields. A leather shield is exactly as effctive as a steel shield but has less durability.

A group of 3-4 dwarves who have been training for about a year and who have full steel gear, can take on almost any singular vanilla entity, like forgotten beasts, etc. Getting to steel gear is a huge force multiplier afaik.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I can't find it anywhere, but what aspects of "a fort" do hostiles psychically home in on, anyways? Dwarves themselves, stockpiles, workshops, beds? How much needs to be in place to have a fake lure-base that hostiles beeline into instead of wandering the map randomly when your main base has no access routes?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I've set up some mine carts to shuffle stone and ore from one stockpile to another

Problem is, only one track gets used. the rest just sit there at the end stop full of stone. I've checked the settings and they're the same as the one that works. Any ideas?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

do dwarfs use weapon racks now? I thought they were useless

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there any good way to force your broker to go to the goddamn trade depot? I've missed three caravans now because my broker listened to poetry for an entire season without break

I've gotten a couple of trades in because I apparently caught him in between poetry slams, but this is getting extremely irritating. I've even got him burrowed into a space that only includes the drat depot but that doesn't stop him

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Really enjoying my haunted fort with constant stinking slime rain. Every time I pop the cork up top to let people out to get wood/deal with the poor saps who come to trade basically the entire fort gets covered in vomit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zeruel posted:

So I've set up some mine carts to shuffle stone and ore from one stockpile to another

Problem is, only one track gets used. the rest just sit there at the end stop full of stone. I've checked the settings and they're the same as the one that works. Any ideas?

How many wheelbarrows are assigned to the source stockpile? Not sure if that's what's affecting the usage of minecarts but that's how you control how fast rocks flow into the input stockpile, and my guess is that the hauling labor just isn't being done fast enough to fill up more than one minecart at a time. More wheelbarrows would get more dwarves hauling to the source stockpile, which would mean more dwarves in the area to fill and push minecarts.

e: But it might actually be straight up more efficient for dwarves to just push one back and forth than to use multiple. You need about 5 wheelbarrows to keep constant flow in one minecart that moves 0 spaces. Each wheelbarrow can hold 5 rocks per push, which is 10 hauling jobs (5 to stockpile, 5 from stockpile to wheelbarrow) as well as the push + travel time of the minecart, so 7 minecarts would be close to 100 labor actions for one trip.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 29, 2022

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I tried to fight the circus with my 50 legendary steel clad dwarves.

they all died to 1 demon with webs

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So much for this ring mist generator

This has terrible implications for how warm my Tavern is.

Is the solution to this to pipe magma to under these tiles?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

So much for this ring mist generator

This has terrible implications for how warm my Tavern is.

Is the solution to this to pipe magma to under these tiles?
I think underground is more thermally neutral.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Azhais posted:

Are you implying I should be pasturing my herd of war dogs?

If you're not doing something specific with them, yes

If you have them assigned to soldiers they're technically pets, so you want them staying with the soldiers. Otherwise, you really want them pastured or chained.

Dogs can be ludicrous FPS drains in late fortresses because they are constantly roaming around everywhere and any puppies they have are roaming around everywhere and also constantly looking for their parent animal which creates unreal numbers of pathing jobs, especially if animals get seperated across Z-levels and suddenly have to path to stairs.

If you put them in the same pasture as the grazers, a critical mass of war dogs can make your pasture basically safe to above ground predation from anything short of a megabeast or very large siege. Dogs are not very good against cave animals and forgotten beasts so you're better off keeping them up top anyway.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got my first forgotten beast and it was a giant ribbon worm with wings, made of steam

it got absolutely bodied by 1 dwarf with an axe. he didnt even use the axe.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's easy to see why Forgotten Beasts were forgotten. Unless they shoot webs they're pretty forgettable!!!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I can't find it anywhere, but what aspects of "a fort" do hostiles psychically home in on, anyways? Dwarves themselves, stockpiles, workshops, beds? How much needs to be in place to have a fake lure-base that hostiles beeline into instead of wandering the map randomly when your main base has no access routes?

I believe it's dwarves. But I think animals also work, from what I've read. I'm actually trying to test this right now, going to chain up an animal at the end of my trap corridors and lock everything else up and see if the enemies still path in next time something comes by.

Sadly, I tested and know that visitors don't work.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah the point of a siege is to kill your entire population

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eat the rich

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My only question about pasturing dogs is - do they path out of their pasture? I keep my herd animals in basically a big room so I don't get jobs bringing them back to the pasture (since without it they sometimes wander around), I wouldn't mind my dogs staying in place but I haven't done it in case they create extra busy-work.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You don't need it with some of the UI improvements

Labor management is much easier.

The new labor management thing threw me at first but now that I understand it (and work orders) I have had a better time playing than I ever did before.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
If you aren't using them and also don't want them to breed you may just want to cage them instead if pasturing them. A 1 tile room pasture was an old dwarf fort standard but I'm not very familiar with animal behavior currently.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

The new labor management thing threw me at first but now that I understand it (and work orders) I have had a better time playing than I ever did before.

I'm still not sure why they defaulted to 'everyone can do everything except a few things' instead of 'everyone can only do the things they are good at'. Any tips?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to create new cave ecosystem on rock in your fort? I notice the various cave ecology grows very fast on the various soils, but only barely comes in on stone. I made a huge 4 story tall chamber directly connected to the existing cave ecosystem and hoped to see the same density of mosses and things growing, but even after muddying the whole thing I'll only at best get about 40% coverage, most remains mud.

I always wished we could dig up dirt or make dirt and build it like dirt blocks in minecraft. Lay down a dirt floor for farming or cave ecosystem. I just want a big lush indoor cave terrarium for my livestock to live in and enjoy.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Thanks to whichever one of you had the idea for floor rooms lmao this is great, WE built this huge glass pyramid with that floorplan in mind! They kept it together long enough to cap it with a statue of the day we founded the place too

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Now that's a cool burial monument!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

that pyramid has serious shin megami tensei dungeon vibes