Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm realizing I'm not going to make it through this entire thread before running out of time so I'm posting mine and going back to finish the thread later. It's awesome that half of my top 10 came from Game Pass, what an insane service.

10. Rogue Legacy 2
While I'm starting to get tired of Roguelikes, this kept things fresh by throwing a ton of variations and randomness and a steady flow of upgrades your way. Sometimes you get a great run and sometimes you get an archer who can't stop farting and dies in one hit. Dying never felt like wasted time because you're always progressing towards something. The grind did get to be a bit much near the end of the game but I had a blast with this for a few weeks. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Marcedes Lewis.

9. Nobody Saves the World
First thing on this list that I would have not paid any attention to had it not shown up on Gamepass. This ended up being a super neat 2D action RPG with a unique mechanic that allows you to change forms and powers and mix and match different builds. It has a ton of sidequests and quests and dungeons that inspire you to try out crazy builds with all the powers you've uncovered. It felt like playing a (good) Ren & Stimpy game. It's a great game if you want to pick off lots of tasks. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Tramon Williams.

8. Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Having missed decades of Pokemon games until fairly recently, I decided to try them out again once I got a Switch years ago. Sword/Shield was ok and I wasn't expecting much with Arceus and went into it without knowing anything about it and was blown away. Making it a quasi-BOTW game with Pokemon out in that world and then shaking up the usual story and systems was a great breath of fresh air. I dug the unique way to complete sidequests and the Pokedex. It's a great game if you like crossing things off lists. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Charles Woodson.

7. Vampire Survivors
I tried this long ago and thought it was neat and didn't return until it showed up on Gamepass with a zillion achievements. I started using it as my daily game to get an achievement to redeem for MS points but then I kept playing and couldn't stop playing. I feel like this is the PUBG of yesteryear that has popularized a genre and we're about to see some big hitters try some copycats. This has been a great out of nowhere underdog and I'm glad so many people got to try it on Gamepass or bought it for $3. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Desmond Howard.

6. God of War: Ragnarok
This one irked me a few ways but overall it was a very good continuation of a very good game. Combat felt polished and chunky and had some weight behind it. It looked outstanding. The story had some pacing issues but mostly kept things moving. I was glad to be done with it and didn't do anything after the credits but looking back it was a very enjoyable ride. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Bart Starr.

5. Tinykin
Sometimes you just want a cozy game with tight controls. This platformer collectathon felt great to move around in with fun varied environments. Skating and gliding around was a joy, it felt super polished. It didn't overstay it's welcome with just the right amount of playtime. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Jaire Alexander.

4. Fortnite/Zero Build
I was one of the weirdos that bought the early access Fortnite with an entirely different game mode and I haven't really played it much since the Battle Royale pivot. I hated building and building hated me. When they launched a mode without building I decided to give it another shot. They gave me a bunch of mercy V-Bucks for being a weirdo that bought the early access Fortnite and I picked up the Battle Pass. Immediately I was immersed in doing quests, watching my numbers go up, earn silly skins, and killing people and doing a saxophone solo over their corpse as Darth Vader while I knew they were spectating. I've been playing a few seasons now, almost daily, and it still hasn't gotten old. I usually don't put Early Access or live service type games in my top 10 but this has been too good not to. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Aaron Rodgers.

3. Hardspace Shipbreaker
The Dad game in space. You start off with a zillion dollars of debt and you need to start dissecting and scrapping derelict spaceships to start chipping away at it. Partially a puzzle game where a mistake could often mean a hilarious death. I wasn't a huge fan of the storyline but it doesn't play too big of a part. Making all of your cuts and watching your ship open up like a perfectly carved turkey never gets old. I was hoping this would have a ton of replay value but I haven't found myself going back to it much, but I had a hell of a time with it while it lasted. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be BJ Raji.

2. Power Wash Simulator
There's not too much to this game other than immense satisfaction of cleaning without any of the downsides of cleaning (physical work). There's just enough variety and upgrades to keep things interesting, and without spoiling too much about the story line (yes, the narrative of a power washing game), you do end up with some interesting projects. This was the ultimate game to play while listening to a podcast or binging a show. I've been looking forward to resetting my progress and starting from scratch in 2023. This was the dad game that hit all the right parts of my brain and resonated with me the most. It was super reliable and good throughout. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Chad Clifton.

1. Elden Ring
I always respected Souls games but rarely had the patience for them. I forced myself through Bloodborne once I got my PS5 and had an ok time with it. I've tried a few hours of most of the Dark Souls games and chalked them up as not for me. For that reason I decided to pick Horizon over Elden Ring when I needed a March game, which obviously was the wrong decision. Something clicked this time with Elden Ring. Perhaps it was being able to grind out levels if I felt like I was getting stuck somewhere, or head in a completely different direction and come back later. Perhaps it was making it through the whole game without needing to parry a single time. The scope and breadth of Elden Ring is insane, and I had a blast exploring all of it. I never knew what I'd come across next. There were times I came close to calling it quits, but am happy I powered through to completion. I rarely play through 100 hour games and it's crazy this felt fresh the whole way through. If it was a Green Bay Packer it would be Brett Favre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I have enjoyed how some games like Terraria, Dead Cells, and Stardew have become just incredible value for the money because the devs for whatever reason are just addicted to updating them constantly, like dad rock bands on their 11th farewell tour but in video game form.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Love to see all the love the AI games are getting in this thread. :kimchi:

Same! I really love Uchikoshi's work, the fact that I haven't played either AI game is a huge black mark on my backlog. I really, really need to play those games.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I also forgot that Little Noah was this year so I updated my list AGAIN lmfao

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I completely loving forgot about this thread until like 5 days ago so here I am squeezing it in. I should’ve had more time to let me thoughts marinate but oh well. I gave up and just used simpsons for all the things I don’t have clips for

I’ll start this list off with some honorable mentions

I played a small amount of Inscryption but got frustrated because I loving suck at cards or decks or whatever. I put it down at some point with intent to pick it back up again, but the will to do so never materialized. See you in 2023

Project Zomboid was really right up my alley and I remember reading about it ages ago (probably on these very forums). I tried to get a few friends into it but it didn’t quite take, which caused my interest in it to die as well. But when I saw it again on my Steam Replay, I mentally made a note to try it out again by myself in 2023.

PlateUp! is a bit similar to Overcooked. You can tweak your restaurant layout and there’s a rogue-like element to how you can upgrade your place. It’s not so much the pre-designed challenges of the previously mentioned game. It’s really fun when it hits its stride, but you absolutely need to be playing with people who are all on the same wavelength… which is why this is only an honorable mention and not on my top 10. Not a failing of the game itself, but a failure of gamers

Omega Strikers was a fun little game. Free to play air hockey combined with sorta MOBA-style characters. I didn’t really get too into it but it was good enough (and free!) for me to plug it here.

Slappy Ball is still in early access and the lack of polish shows. It’s a volleyball game where you play as a disembodied hand that can slap (or high five) and jump around. It feels like it has a lot of potential though so I hope it gets some more love. Much easier to have chill matches in this when there’s so much jank.

dishonorable mentions ... I’ll try not to be too negative here.
Lost Ark had some great gameplay but it felt too much like a chore to play. I really should’ve just ignored all guides/metagame stuff and played this naturally. I think it was my own doing that soured this game for me, but the game seems to incentivize it.

Terraria… in dishonorable mentions? Actually not really. The game incredibly fun and still kicking. I’m putting it here because the fun vibe of playing with friends was completely killed by some infighting. How the gently caress does that happen? In journey mode? Just share the loving bucket of water! Just share the god drat gun you found! This is a cooperative game! What the gently caress is going on here!? Perfectly good games can turn into the worst experiences when someone fucks with the group vibe. The entire experience is just soured and it has nothing to do with the game itself. I think the more accurate dishonorable mention is just multiplayer toxicity itself, and all the more frustrating and painful when it’s between friends.

~Alright, my top 10:~
10. Vampire Survivors. A fun little diversion that really drove me to finish out achievements as more kept getting added to the game. It’s great to have around during long Zoom meetings for work or just mindlessly passing the time while listening to a podcast. It’s definitely hitting above its weight.

9. OW2 with John Wilson is still fun to me, but the 2 in the title does not feel warranted. Really like the change from 6v6 to 5v5. Also another game where people ruining the vibe really hurts the experience. This is Overwatch 2 if I was not being clear. People know Overwatch right? I just kind of hop onto quick play or arcade mode and shoot stuff because I don’t find the competitive mode fun at all. It actually feels kind of bad putting this in my top 10 but I can't deny that sometimes it's really enjoyable. Still really love playing Mei, Hanzo, and Kiriko though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbSFQMH2KWc

8. With Valheim’s big Mistlands update out, me and a bunch of friends are revisiting the game and enjoying it immensely. However, the holidays have disrupted our current cadence but hopefully, we can get back into it soon! I’m really looking forward to jumping back into this. The great atmosphere and foreboding environments really make for some tense exploration. And carving out a little town or outpost here and there is just so satisfying. I try to keep things looking organic instead of overly utilitarian and it really makes the game feel immersive. Looking forward to sailing on the open seas again…

7. Crosscode’s whole concept and poo poo is cool as hell. I really like how it was done. I actually got this game in 2018 and played for 20-some hours before losing interest. Then I picked it back up this year and for some reason it clicked. I like most of the puzzles, most of the combat, most of the music, and I guess, just most of the game. Kind of sad that there isn’t more though.

6. Played Factorio with two of my friends. I wish we could get a timelapse of our spaghetti poo poo turning into a more polished base. We’re still not done with this game but are taking a hiatus. Once we revisit it in 2023, we’re going to be balling on top of the world, baby. You can play it pretty chill by turning off hostile aliens, but it feels like they’re good motivation for building in certain ways. Making things more efficient, making train stations, figuring out supply chains… it’s all surprisingly interesting. Can’t wait to make more progress on our world.

5. Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 (DMZ?). I hate the people in this game. I hate the awful story/narrative (and politics) in this game. I don’t know why I was so flabbergasted when I got in a game where literally 5 people were repeating the N word over and over in voice chat, but I thought that sort of thing was old hat by now. But… I like most of the gameplay so it kind of works for me. I spend almost all of my time playing the DMZ mode, which may not be very typical of most players. It’s like an extraction game mode similar to Tarkov or Hunt: Showdown, where you spawn on a big map with a bunch of AI. There are some other player squads too scattered around. You can do missions, contracts, gently caress around, hunt down other players, etc. Then you have to find an helicopter to extract with in order to save most of what you’ve found. Having to make plans on the fly is exfilirating. Each encounter with another player or squad is so much more interesting than it typically is in say deathmatch. I almost hate to put this game on my list though because I hate so many aspects of it. But DMZ has been actually really fun when playing with a friend! Can’t wait to see how this evolves past the beta stage (footage not from DMZ)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwxB0Oa0TIk

4. Rocket League is eternal. Such a straightforward game, but the skill ceiling is vast. Soccer with cars! Flying in the air with your boost! I still suck at it. This is a wild game sometimes and if you can find chill people to play with, it just offers so much for so little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJ1RiqZ8hA

3. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker was my top game of 2021. The reason it’s not for 2022 is probably because I actually finished Endwalker early on this year and canceled my subscription. I have every intention of resubbing as more content comes out. It’s killing me too because I’m trying to avoid seeing any of the new patch stuff since I stopped playing. Oh and I very much recommend Sanguinia’s thorough and detailed let’s play. Do not spoil her or I will kill you

2. Sekiro! II made it my mission to finish this game before I started Eldenring and holy poo poo I finally beat the final boss literally 7 hours after Eldenring released on Steam. Jesus loving christ this was grueling, but satisfying. Just some insane fights in this game. The combat didn’t really gel with me at first, but I learned to love it. I don’t consider this better or worse than other souls games, just slightly different. As a little side hobby, I’ve been slowly working on a compilation of my Sekiro gameplay (as I did in the past with dark souls 1, 2, and 3), but unfortunately, I haven’t had the time or willpower to finish it. Hopefully I will finish it soon and maybe post it somewhere idk. I mostly just make these videos for me and my friends to laugh at. Anyways, more people should play this and more people should push through to the end. Here’s a little bit from what I’ve made so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddFxR31h5gI

1. Eldenring, unsurprisingly. It’s so… much. It’s not perfect and I have various nitpicks but the overall experience has just been so amazing. The scale and the grandeur! The amount of options available to you, whether it be where to go, how to build your character, what weapons to use… I didn’t even beat this game yet. I hit a hard wall at a certain boss near the end and unfortunately, the frustration coinciding with playing other games caused me to drop the game since May of 2022. I also made self-imposed rules: no summons, no hiding behind a shield (except to parry of course), and no deviating from my dex build using a guardian swordspear. Im actually doing a pseudo RP playthrough where I’m sort of a Chinese spear/polearm warrior reminiscent of those from Romance of the Three Kingdoms or whatever. That also means no katanas or naginata. Following these personal rules of mine, I am going to beat this loving game in 2023. I will kill this boss. Then I will kill everyone else in Eldenring. I’m going to loving do it and no one can stop me (or help me). And then I will compile all the awful poo poo that happened into a video so everyone can laugh at me. It’s killing me that I haven’t finished this during the first half of the year, amidst all the hype. What the hell am i DOING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5EY7EW6ik

Next year, I will start working on the GOTY list far earlier than a few days before the deadline so I can put more care into it. I will also finish all the games I start. I will!!! You gotta believe me.. I'm hosed.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This year I’ve been stuck with the Switch and a crappy laptop due to young kids, so no Elden Ring for me. Even still, there have been some real nice standouts.

Not quite:
Xenoblade 3
A big favourite with a lot of people, but to be honest this game outstays its welcome and has more content than it’s gameplay warrants. The story sadly suffers from jrpg silliness as well. Still, if you’re looking for a hundred hour game, here it is.

Dread Lands
Not quite in the top ten by virtue of being very alpha and literally only half finished. Dread Lands is an Indy attempt at a low poly Morrowwind-like. It opens up with the worst possible foot forwards with a difficult and boring tutorial, but them opens up into some bizarre fantasy scenery and uncommonly good writing. There is a floating university with wizards studying gods like we would lab rats, an inn with a murdered god’s skull embedded within it, radicalised deities simultaneously blessing and cursing the land, a zombie caretaker bemoaning butcher archivists gutting forgotten tomes from butchered library whales. I think this one is going to be top of a lot of lists in a year or two, mark my words.

Real list:
10)Iron Lung
This is me going for more Indy Cred. I played this as an hour long Halloween snack, and that’s exactly what it does. Incredibly limited in scope, you interact with the world outside your makeshift submarine using a few buttons, a print out of co-ordinates and a camera at the back of the ship. Despite all these limitations, an incredible amount of style and dread is packed into this tiny package. For every planet and star in the universe has gone missing, and only a smattering of space stations remain warring over dwindling resources and asteroids. And on some of those asteroids, vast oceans of blood have appeared, and you have been selected to be sealed up and sent down to try and discover just what is going on.

9) Bugsnax
A weird little puzzle / interaction challenge game about snack based not-pokemon. Gameplay is entirely using a set of tools to try and catch these tiny idiots as they spin around the island making mouth sounds. Voice acting is a level better than it has any right to be for some reason, giving the cast of characters a lot of charm. Gets in, goes it’s job, and gets out before it becomes boring. Nice little snack of a game.

8) Case of the Golden Idol
We’re all still cooling down from Return of the Obra Din, and trying to find that high again. Case of the Golden Idol doesn’t quite manage it, but it’s still a solid little game that’s well worth your time.

7) Void Bastards
A game I bounced off of hard on PC, but having it portable on Switch made it a much easier product to play sessions on. On the face of it, Void Bastards has a promising set-up, a mission based
rogue-like with deep System Shock DNA. And it is fun, running missions is tense with lots of opportunity of cleverness with the wide range of tools and weapons, and sometimes you dock at a ship and just nope right out after opening the first door. Sadly the missions become much too repetitive, and once again we get a living demonstration of why handcrafted levels are generally better than procedural once as they become very monotonous. It also suffers from the British weakness of mistaking silly for funny, so the comedy is more miss than hit.

6) Neon White
Everything said about the game’s short comings is so very true, but the greatness is so very great. In other games repeating levels and trying to get a high score / short time quickly becomes tedious, but Neon White’s snappy pace and tight controls make it a delight to have in the hands. The Switch version has gyro controls, which is just perfect for the formula.

5) Last Call BBS
Zack has done it again, but maybe for the last time. Here is a selection of his little ideas that didn’t quite make it, presented as applications on a fictional hard-drive. You can build little gundams, solve puzzles, build automated fast food and remould your flesh. If you like programming games, you probably already know and love Zach-likes.

4) High Fleet
A diesel punk naval warfare sim, except instead of ships you pilot flying gun ships. In High Fleet you are massively outnumbered by the enemy, making it crucial to avoid detection, while trying to pin point enemy transports and doom fleets. The game is incredibly committed to it’s verisimilitude, and you need to keep tabs on the fuel, the refuelling time, encryption cyphers and the direction intercepted messages come from. You will learn to gain an advantage from even the tiniest scraps that the game gives you. And if all else fails, you can initiate nuclear war.

3) Triangle Strategy
A surprise hit and new IP into the tactical rpg / wargame scene. Triangle Strategy works by dumping most of the rpg trappings of the genre and laser focuses on making each character unique, interesting and powerful. You won’t be building a team of identical super units like in a Final Fantasy Tactics. Instead you need to utilise the talents of your team to gain advantage over your opponents. While the game unwisely front loads the story with what feels like an hour between the first and second battles, as the game goes on the surprisingly grounded story grips you in a way that you would not have expected. Trust me, no matter how unbelievable it might seem now, by the end of it you will be far more invested in trade disparities in the salt market than you ever would be having to fight God with the power of friendship like every other rpg.

2) Monster Hunter: Sunbreak
Monster Hunter, on the Switch, modernised, and with fast and deadly species. Sunbreak takes base game of Rise and gives you more. If Monster Hunter is somehow new to you, it is basically a series of well designed boss fights that give you loot to build gear. It’s a great formula, and Sunbreak continues it.

1) Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Kirby again, but perfect this time. A heavy dose of Mario 3D World has gone into brewing this one, but it still feels like it’s own thing. And time and time again it’s actually made me laugh as Kirby has undergone a transformation that was completely unexpected in how it turned out. Great to play with the little ones as well, and can build into a decent challenge if you try to 100% it as well. No doubt, this is probably one of the best 3D platformers ever made.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Honorable Mentions: It feels wrong to put games released before 2022 in my GOTY 2022 list. Unfortunately there are some stand out titles that would’ve made my list but played them too late after they came out.

Metroid Dread: A brand new 2D Metroid released almost 20 years after Metroid Fusion & it holds it own against Super Metroid. Despite all the great 2D Metroidvania indie games of the last decade, Metroid is still king of the genre. Phenomenal boss fights & Samus has never felt so smooth to control. Have the urge to replay this despite having so many games in my backlog.

Ghosts of Tsushima-Director’s Cut: When this was revealed it looks like another Ubisoft open world game, just with Sony’s production values to prop it up. This is still true, but it’s the best version of that open world style. Filling up the map & completing every icon of the map is a joy because the world is so well designed & gorgeous to wander around in.

Horizon Forbidden West: Only about 10 hours into the game. So far, it’s not as captivating as the first one, but the gameplay is still top notch. Meet a bunch of weirdos who looked like they walked off the set of some cheap 80’s Sci-Fi movie. They look incredibly stupid & can’t wait to encounter these dipshits again.

10. Pocky & Rocky Reshrined

Not a remake nor a sequel. It’s a little bit of both. Pocky & Rocky are back in the best looking game of 2022. Gorgeous sprite work & great music. Multiple playable characters help freshen the classic gameplay & make it highly replayable.

9. Pac Man World Re-Pac

This is a basic rear end platformer but it’s an incredibly fun platformer. It’s just fun to butt bounce everywhere.

8. Splatoon 3

Shortly after getting Splatoon 2 I caught Mono. I would play some matches whenever I could muster up the energy to slightly get up from bed. Whenever I played Splatoon 2 afterwards, I would remember being so sick with Mono for weeks. Splatoon 3 is a better game because I don’t think of Mono when playing.

7. Sonic Frontiers

Frontiers is an interesting game. The traditional cyber space levels are not very good. Somehow after a decade plus of boost style gameplay they made it worse. Fortunately, the open world part of the game is a joy to experience. Its just plain fun to run & roll around as Sonic in these big open areas. The intro to Sonic CD is one my favorite bits of Sonic media. Sonic Frontiers actually feels like you’re playing the SCD intro at times. This game is flawed, but it’s the most fun I’ve had in a 3D Sonic game in a very long time.

6. Gran Turismo 7

Gran Turismo 7 is a Zen experience. Never played a GT game before & not even a fan of racing games, but the simple act of driving is tranquility. You accelerate, brake, & turn. That is the gameplay loop & I love it. The roar of the engines & the sun rising as you race through a course is pure bliss.

5. Kirby & the Forgotten Land

The mad lads at Hal Laboratory & Nintendo did it. They nailed the first 3D Kirby game. Mouth full mode is such an ingenious idea. Full of creative levels & big spectacle boss fights. Nintendo knocked it out of the park on this one.

4. Triangle Strategy

One of the best SRPG’s ever made. HD-2D graphics continue to be impressive along with a lovely soundtrack. The combat is aces. I appreciate the grounded story about salt & iron. No ancient dragons or Demon lords to fight. A very solid strategy game.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is one of my favorite RPG’s ever made. XBC 2 & X never came closing to reaching the highs of the first Xenoblade Chronicles. XBC 3 is the amazing follow up to the original that I’ve been hoping for the past decade. It has one the greatest RPG parties ever, Eunie is the best of course. Combat is more refined than previous entries, but still a bloated mess & overly complicated spectacle. Played for over 120 hours & was still sad for it to the end.

2. Live A Live

A game from 1994 was freshest game I played this year. I can’t even imagine what it would’ve felt to play this during its original release. Live A Live feels so ahead of its time in 2022, let alone 1994. The different eras contain many settings you hardly ever see in video games like prehistoric and the Wild West. I’m very glad Nintendo & Square-Enix resurrected Live A Live. Nearly 30 years after release & its finally getting the praise & recognition it deserves.

1. Elden Ring

What else could it be? This is the game of 2022. The culmination of the past 10 years of From Software’s work. The world is full of sweeping vistas & beautiful haunting landscapes that you feel compelled to explore every inch of. The Legacy Dungeons have top notch level design for those who prefer more linear focused experienced. I lived & breathed in the Lands Between for many weeks playing Elden Ring. This is a very special game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All right here we go:

Honorable Mentions

Magic the Gathering: Arena i spend more time with this game on a year-by-year basis than any other game. But I don't include it in my GotY ratings because mentally it's just an extension of the paper game rather than its own video game.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together An amazing game. I spend several hundred hours on the PSP version a decade ago. Didn't make the list because I didn't wind up actually playing it that much. It was just not what I wanted to play at the time.

10) Fortnite: I was always pro battle-royal as a genre but never dipped my toes in until Fortnite announced its no-build mode and people who had sworn off the game suddenly started being interested in it. So I dipped my toes in it and I don't regret it.

9) Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song: You've heard the deal about SaGa games, fascinating in a game few other games are but at the same time inscrutable. Minstrel Song is no exception. In fact it may be the progenitor of what SaGa became. Another fascinating thing about the SNES SaGas (of which this is a remake of the original) is that they were very early forays into non-linear JRPGs. I played Minstrel Song possibly longer than it deserved simply because if you know what to look for it just fills your brain with things to do and what gives some people crippling choice paralysis is just a raw dopamine hit for me. Keep note of this phenomenon as it will show up later.

8) Xenoblade Chronicles 3 I was utterly enraptured by this game while I was playing it. Not because of the combat (I am not a fan of MMO combat). Not because of the characters (the characters are very charming and their growth is admirable but they are mostly your dopey doe-eyed JRPG protagonists against antagonists who deserved so much worse) But because once again I found myself lost in a world that at all times felt like it was giving me too much to do. I had to do so much. I had to figure out what order I wanted to do it in. It was blissful. It would have ranked higher on the list but I'll admit this was a game where once I was done with it I was done with it, not to mention an interminable cutscene gauntlet mid-game That twisted the knife 360 degrees and did it so loving slowly. The comeuppance was grand but not worth it. Also it made the protagonists being dopey doe-eyed JRPG protagonists even more insufferable

7) Horizon: Forbidden West Strip mining robot dinosaurs with a variety of techno primitive weapons in an open world is a formula for success for me. Aloy acting at all times like she just wants the person talking to her to get to the drat point was a bonus because I felt the same way. Despite that the overarching plot was interesting although I hold a special sort of contempt for this horrible world. The villains are something out of my most catastrophic nightmares immortal loving billionaires shudder. And of course gently caress Ted Faro Living a millennia as a horrid blob of regenerating meat was too good a fate for him. Also gently caress his genetic heir. Hell's fire burns too cold for both of them

6) Potionomics What is it with me clinging onto games that give my brain too much to do? This is another example of the form, but this time it's performing mental inventory on stacks of ingredients and the mathematical ratios needed to make the best potions possible. And trying to do this while keeping a strong work/life balance by engaging a cast of delightful and dateable NPCs. (I really didn't want to choose just one). Potionomics is a dip into the 'run a potion store' genre which has had no fewer than 4 different entries this year alone, raising the number of games in the genre I'm aware of to...5 (lest I forget Atelier Annie) and it's an excellent one. One that has some of the best facial expressions you'll ever see in a game (shame I did not screenshot any of them). The only downside to this game was it kinda gave my brain too much to do and didn't give me a good UI to do it in (something I understand was resolved in later patches).

5) Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga So apparently Dancing Dragon games decided that the world finally needed a spiritual successor to Ogre Battle, But with Fire Emblems map navigation. This could definitely be seen as a definite improvement over the somewhat odd RTS maps of the original games. Some would say the game was a little too easy, which is fair though I like my games a little on the easy side. Many have said the plot was traditional fantasy plodder and mid at best. Agreed, but frankly after Triangle Strategy (A game I had high hopes for that really turned out to be everything I didn't want in an SRPG) I was down for some lighter fare.

4) Legends of Runeterra: For the uninitiated LoR is the League of Legends card game. Personally I do not care a whit about LoL, nor do I care about the competitive aspect of LoR. What I do care about is the Path of Champions mode. Path of Champions can be described as Slay the Spire meets Hearthstone. You pick your champion and navigate a map filled with games against the AI under special rules. (some as simple as 'whenever a player summons an ally their weakest ally gets +1/+1 until end of turn" to as menacing as "At the end of the foe's turn they summon a leveled-up champion with cost equal to the number of runes (resources) they control). Most of these rules benefit your opponent. This is fine, because you have powers that benefit you as well. Also your cards have their own powers and you gain more of both as you progress through the map, just like StS. I've played it almost every day since April and have loved almost every moment of it. And I haven't spent a read-headed cent on it. If you play it you probably won't even be tempted. The whole game is a loss leader and the monetization is so bad you might wind up wishing it was better as the only downside is unlocking/leveling up champions can be arbitrary and time consuming. I found it ok when I started but I started right when 2.0 started. Your mileage may vary.

3) Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: I won't lie. I was a little crestfallen when the initial reviews of this game focused on all the technical issues and seemed low on the game in general. I still bought it because that's who I am as a person. And I was thrilled to learn that despite the game's technical issues this is an amazing loving game and the best mainline pokemon game ever. Finally, FINALLY they stopped railroading me and let me loose to catch whatever pokemon I want whenever I want and to do the gym battles in any order. And after Sw/Sh's raging dumpster fire of a narrative Sc/Vi's story was refreshing and well-developed. Pokemon will never be Disco Elysium in the story department but Harry Dubois will never command a living glacier to destroy his enemies (I don't think) so you know, teaching fish to climb trees and all that. The NPCs are quite charming, the new Pokemon designs are the most consistantly good of any generation, the starters are a little polarizing but all nice in their own ways. All in all I love this game enough to not really give a poo poo if the NPC's in town move like a drat slideshow.

2)Pokemon Legends: Arceus: This game was the Pokemon experience I always needed but never knew I needed. Just trudging out into a giant wilderness and actually acting like real-life Jane Goodall documenting and researching Pokemon in detail in the form of sneaking up on them, fighting them in unique ways and catching the hell out of them. It just felt so much more natural and right than even the mainline games that came before it. Scar/Vi wound up being a major challenger to Arceus's 2 spot but no, Arceus is loving amazing. The only downsides to this game are the overly protracted beginning (LEARN WHAT A SKIP SCENE BUTTON IS GAMEFREAK loving SERIOUSLY!) and the fact that trainer battles don't jive very well with the game's combat system this game is pretty much perfect. Any other year this is a windmill slam dunk for #1 buuuuuuuut well you all know what happened...

1)Elden Ring
Game of the Year. Game of the Decade. Game of the Forever.
I always wanted to pick up what FromSoft was putting down but I'll be honest, I'm not good at video games. My reaction time is trash, my ability to remember patterns is garbage, My patience and tolerance of failure borders on non-existent. I get my dopamine from having a shitload of options, not banging my face into the same goddamn thing 20 times in a row. And what did Elden Ring do? replaced banging my face into the same goddamn thing 20 times in a row(mostly) with GIVING ME A GLORIOUS BUFFET OF loving OPTIONS! So many options for exploring, so many options for getting stronger. So many unknown vistas to ride recklessly into. It's like Miyazaki appeared in my window one night and asked me what my perfect FromSoft game would be and then DID IT! (except for the part where I would have told him to not leave all his plots half-finished intentionally. Can't have everything). The month of march was just...Elden Ring ate my March. March didn't happen. Something way better than March happened and thank gently caress for it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 30, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm sorry for writing so many words and also for having such a bizarre list

10. Stellaris

Stellaris is the Paradox and 4X game that I keep coming back to year after year. In early 2022 I refreshed the game with mods and enough accumulated Paradox DLC/update drip to briefly slake my thirst for new content. If strategy games can be judged as a series of interesting decisions, Stellaris has a lot to offer - there's enough meat on its bones to easily fuel several hundred hours of gaming, even if all of it seems to be dedicated to expanding the game's incredible early and midgame before it eventually slows to a crawl.

This spot on my list almost goes out as a swan song for Stellaris' spot in my active gaming repertoire because I think that I've about played it to death over the last few years and my run early in 2022 might be the last for awhile.

In 2023 I want to put some time into Crusader Kings 3 because I don't doubt that it can fill the Paradox-shaped gap in my soul that Stellaris will leave behind. No other games offer quite the same narrative experience as the Paradox grand strategy titles, even impressively emergent games like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress... and from what I hear CK3 is the best yet. :getin:

9. Persona 2: Innocent Sin

My mildly unpopular Persona opinion is that the games reached their narrative peak with P2 and P3 and haven't hit their highs since, even if P4 and P5 are excellent games in their own right. Set in the same world as Persona 1, Innocent Sin takes place in a fictional Japanese seaside city in 1999. The game plays heavily with kotodama, the idea of the power in words and names.

Spreading rumors in the world of Persona 2 makes them come true no matter how outrageous - you create a store to buy equipment from by spreading the rumor that the proprietress of a ramen shop is an ex-spy wanting to offload illicit merchandise. The game also features classic SMT demon negotiation, an interesting and often infuriating mechanic absent from its sequels.

On the strength of its writing and setting alone, Persona 2 has crept onto my list of favorite PSX rpgs as a game ahead of its time. If the duology holds up well - for those unfamiliar, Persona 2 is split into two games with a troubled localization history, of which Innocent Sin is only the first half, and I haven't played its sequel Eternal Punishment - I think P2 will end up taking the prize for my favorite setting and story in the franchise.

8. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Strategy RPGs were some of the first games I ever played. I practically taught myself to read so I could play Shining Force on the Genesis and I was introduced to FF Tactics and Fire Emblem as a preadolescent, the latter essentially upon its release in the west. What I mean to say is that strategy RPGs were pretty formative to me growing up and I've always had a fondness for the genre - and Devil Survivor is probably one of the best I've ever played.

The gameplay loop is really satisfying. Battles occur on a strategic map, but skirmishes move into a first person format reminiscent of typical JRPGs like Dragon Quest where you can choose from a variety of potential actions. Each character in your party has a team of two other demons that fight with them in these skirmishes. The ensuing diversity of potential teams with different abilities and the fact that your enemies are pretty much kitted out with the same abilities as you leads to a lot of satisfyingly difficult battles, and I found myself engaged enough to grind out optional battles for exp and currency of my own volition.

The game is short enough that the story doesn't drag on and stays engaging throughout, even if it's nothing exceptional, and offers potential replay value with different routes and endings to its VN-like structure. I haven't played Devil Survivor 2 yet but maybe it'll happen in 2023.

7. Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 is a great game. Powerstancing was a brilliant addition. The fashionsouls drip may have been at its best ever in this game. And yet even as my playthrough was beginning, a journey of around 70 hours that dragged at points and led to a period of burnout in the middle of the year so that I only finished up the last two DLCs about a month ago, I knew something was not quite right in Drangleic. Dark Souls 2 gave me the same impression that the Witcher 2 did: a good, extremely serviceable game, the sequel to something great but weird and janky, and a game that lost something its predecessor had to become palatable for a wider audience.

DS2 is a 7.5 or 8/10 action game and, incredibly, that is enough to make it the underappreciated middle child of the Dark Souls trilogy. You can see its development issues in the strange difficulty curve through the extremely easy main game and the more traditionally difficult DLCs, and the haphazard way some areas connect,.

Fume Knight in particular took me many hours and I think it was the one point in DS2 that I felt I had become John Dark Soul again, resurrecting endlessly to throw myself time after time at the same challenge until my incremental progress overcame it, a feeling that pervaded my experience of the first game. Alonne and Burnt Ivory King were great fights but significantly more tedious.

When I finally took my seat on the Throne of Want bearing four crowns and having crushed the splinters of Manus, I was satisfied, but mostly I was ready to put Dark Souls to bed for awhile before finally playing DS3.

6. Pillars of Eternity

About halfway through the year I decided that I was going to mainline crpgs like they were heroin and did a concurrent playthrough of PoE and BG1, having bounced off each after 10-15 hour attempts sometime in the past. It was quite an experience, and I walked away with the impression that PoE is a beautiful spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. A lot of people criticize it for being more infodumpy about its setting than the sequel, and perhaps that's true but I wouldn't know because after finishing this pair of games my brain begged me to please give it a break and play something else or touch grass or something and now I break into a cold sweat every time I see a screenshot of an isometric party-based game.

Anyway, PoE managed to sustain my interest right up till the last fourth of the game or so. I actually enjoyed my time the whole way and it wasn't a slog, but after completing the megadungeon and the DLC my party was pretty gratuitously overleveled and I was ready for the adventure to end.

As a sidenote, Planescape Torment and KotOR2 are beloved classics to me. I had written Avellone off after all the nasty stuff regarding him, but PoE is where I realized that his spark as a writer had been exhausted as well. I'm unaware of his other contributions, but the two party members I know he wrote were uncompelling and I didn't use them much at all. This somewhat disappointed me because I remember the PoE kickstarter like ten years ago when I was still a fan and seeing Chris Avellone's participation hyped me up about the game, but thankfully the other writers more than made up for it!

5. Yakuza 0

Honestly, spots 5-3 on my list are nearly interchangeable in terms of my enjoyment, but Yakuza 0 was the first game I played this year and my memory of Kiryu's tale is a bit hazy. I quickly fell in love with Kamurocho's hyperrealistic details and Yakuza's surreal and charming sense of humor. I was shocked at how engaging I found the beat em up mechanics but also the cinematic yakuza tale the game wove around internecine conflict between the rival factions of the Tojo family. Though they are very different games, Yakuza's environments and 80s Japanese setting evoked my nostalgia for Shenmue as well.

I watched through some of the cutscenes to refresh my memory when I made this list and now I'm thinking about starting 2023 off with Kiwami 1 and making a tradition of it. Hopefully I can pick up the pace a little or it's going to take me the rest of the decade to get through this series.

4. Baldur's Gate 1

My crpg binge started because in 2022 I brought back my 5e campaign that died during the pandemic. I wanted to steal ideas and see the most famous incarnation of the setting where my campaign takes place. In the early 2000s I bought a boxed copy of Baldur's Gate 2 which my preadolescent mind could not hope to comprehend. I escaped Irenicus' dungeon and my brain imploded from the sheer weight of archaic D&D mechanics, most likely severely altering the course of my future. I never found BG1 at any stores near me and the series remained shrouded in mystery to me until many years later, when I made a decent attempt but my playthrough fizzled out.

It's a great game and I can see how it defined a genre. I was surprised how engaging I found the story even all these years later, despite its very aged mechanics and occasionally frustrating moments (really is there any need for crowd control to last so long? please let me move again). I found all the handmade backgrounds incredibly appealing to look at despite the game's age.

Eventually finding and reading Sarevok's diary and seeing his side of the entire story was absolutely one of my most satisfying gaming moments in 2022. I then stalled out on finishing the game for two months because I absolutely could not beat Sarevok with my party until I eventually cheesed his rear end with Wands of Monster Summoning 2.

For aforementioned reasons SoD and BG2 will have to wait until 2023, by which time I might be able to add BG3 to my backlog, but BG1 was a great beginning to one of the most epic sagas in rpgs.

3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Greetings outlander...

Another game that overwhelmed me as a child but which left strong impressions. The images of silt striders, Vivec and the Ordinators with their golden masks have accompanied me for many long years, through several runs at the game, but until now I had never finished the main quest. A month ago when Tamriel Rebuilt put out their latest release, I promptly set up OpenMW, spent an afternoon downloading mods, and lost myself again in the world of Morrowind.

Many hours in Oblivion and Skyrim never really elevated the Elder Scrolls setting above any other lukewarm fantasy world for me. my eyes have always glazed over their lore, perhaps unforgivingly so because I know they both have their moments, but Morrowind blew me away with the strangeness of its setting and the interesting stories of its factions. Fetch quests in Morrowind feel like more than they are because the world is engaging enough that walking from place to place, coming across random plantations for fantasy elf drugs, reading books on the shelves of strangers or talking to heretic Khajiit in their shops on the backstreets of the floating temple-neighborhoods of Vivec is... interesting.

I found myself wanting to know where the plot would go next. I made myself read every new book once and it rapidly went from a chore to something I actively anticipated as part of my playthrough, culminating when I snuck into the prohibited section of the library in the Vivec Temple Quarter to get a copy of a book for a quest and read everything else in there while I was at it.

Tamriel Rebuilt adds another landmass and accompanying quests which is pretty much the same size as the base game and its expansions. The content has been lovingly crafted over like two decades now and they show no signs of stopping, constantly renewing the experience of returning to Morrowind, and I recommend that at the very least you install this mod if you ever decide to go back to this game.

2. Dark Souls Remastered

I played Dark Souls for the first time in 2021 and it was my greatest gaming experience ever. It takes second place this year because it wasn't my first exposure, merely new game plus. Elden Ring came close at points, but I have to wonder if any game will ever give me the same sense of wonder. My playthrough was made easier by drops that I later found out were extremely lucky, a black knight longsword and a stone greatshield that left me more than capable of turtling through every challenge the game through at me. Up until the end of Anor Londo it's the best game I've ever played, but Elden Ring has moments that struck harder than Dark Souls' weaker back half: the Bed of Chaos and the fields of lava monster spam outside Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants, etc.

But with its incredible use of interconnected level design, perfectly calibrated challenge, and dark fantasy vibe that reads like a Japanese love letter to the classic D&D dungeoncrawl aesthetic further refined through four King's Field games and Demon's Souls, playing Dark Souls changed what video games were capable of for me somehow. The struggle to overcome the Taurus Demon, Smough and Ornstein, Artorias, and Manus, and the satisfaction of finally shaving off the last splinter of their health bars are gaming moments I don't think I'll ever forget.

1. Elden Ring

Everything has been said about Elden Ring. To me at least it would be ridiculous to give any other game the number one spot in 2022. It isn't perfect. The last third is like an mdma comedown, fun but clearly suffering from coming after a hundred hours of absolute top tier gaming. Despite how incredible Elden Ring had been, I was as tired as the rest of the Tarnished and ready for the journey to end when I finally entered the Erdtree.

From has refined their formula over a long time now. The seeds of the Soulsborne saga are clearly present even in King's Field, nuggets of lore like the ever-present Moonlight Greatsword, and Elden Ring is very much the culmination of the same alchemy that has consistently produced excellent games over more than a decade, taken farther than ever before. The fact that it delivers so much on its extraordinary ambition is simply incredible no matter its shortcomings.

I'm sure I'll return to the Lands Between when the DLC inevitably drops. After Elden Ring I'm left wondering what incredible things we'll see from From in the future -- and if they'll inspire other studios to try things equally as ambitious. What's Armored Core going to be like?

tl;dr

10. Stellaris
8. SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
7. Dark Souls 2
6. Pillars of Eternity
5. Yakuza 0
4. Baldur's Gate 1
3. TES III: Morrowind
2. Dark Souls Remastered
1. Elden Ring

Tosk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 30, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
All right! My games list. These aren't all games I played a lot this year, but they're games I thought about and watched people play and absorbed my time.

10) Elden Ring is a mountain I am determined to climb. I spent a lot of time - a LOT of time - watching other people play this and I'm gonna drat well play it myself.
9)Dwarf Fortress is my goal for next year and my favourite game to ever exist. Look at the drat thing. I *will* learn to actually play it properly if it kills me, and everyone around me.
8)Stardew Valley has captured my attention again thanks to mods. Currently wooing Elliot and working on year 2.
7)No Man's Sky just keeps getting better and better, and bigger and bigger. It's never going to be brilliant, but it is a lovely place to spend time.
6)Death Stranding sucked me in with that insane opening sequence. I would die for BB.
5)Animal Crossing: New Horizons is still absorbing an hour or two of my time every single day. I wish Bones would stop asking to move out.
4)Path of Exile, oh Path of Exile. Someday I'll stop loving about with low level alts and get into maps on a consistent basis.
3)Siralim Ultimate is an amazing little creature-collector with depth for days. You could play this for hundreds of hours and never run out of content. The writing is so-so but the creature design is great, and the ability to create game-breaking synergies is within everyone's reach. I am not good at tactical gaming and I had a blast with this, and expect to keep enjoying it. And it will play on literally anything including your phone.
2) Pokemon Legends Arceus was a real breath of fresh air earlier in the year. Adored it.
1) Pokemon Violet has absorbed almost all my gaming time since it came out. A technical disaster, but a gameplay triumph. The best pokemon game ever made. I'm trundling through the postgame and absolutely loving it. It has an actual story! Characters! Everything!

Honourable mentions: Stellaris, FF14, Titan Quest, Wildermyth, Vampire Survivors

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Seeing Baldur's Gate make an appearance in a 2022 goty thread makes me so happy. Thank you for the cool write up on one of the big games of my childhood. You're in for a treat whenever you get around to the sequel. It takes the solid foundation built by the original and uses it to take a huge leap forward in pretty much every way.

Also, wow is Triangle Strategy doing so much better than I ever would have expected given it's a game called Triangle Strategy. I will have to add it to my list for the next time I want to play a strategy rpg.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 30, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

10) uboat - bad: technically trying to win a war for the nazis, good: best boat / life simulator
9) dcs flight simulator with $79.99 plane and $49.99 super carrier dlc: - bad: spent my life savings on this good: am now convinced icould land a real f18 on a real carrier
8) apex legends - bad: bad vehicles, good: come and get your birthday present
7) horizon forbidden world - bad: rear end creed slog good: leaf covered ruins
6) gran turismo 7 - bad: horrible multiplayer custom lobby good: pretty good
5) factorio - bad: train signals good: train signals
4) rimworld - bad: i cant get anywhere without being wiped off the planet by one shot kill enemies good: i am now making vat born demigod babies
3) kerbal space program - bad: hard to tell which biome youre in good: got to the moon faster than nasa
2) sekiro - bad: too easy really, was easy for me, good: i am the wolf
1) elden ring - bad: i haven't beat it yet. good: i have more to do
goty: death stranding 2 trailer

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wittgen posted:

Seeing Baldur's Gate make an appearance in a 2022 goty thread makes me so happy. Thank you for the cool right up on one of the big games of my childhood. You're in for a treat whenever you get around to the sequel. It takes the solid foundation built by the original and uses it to take a huge leap forward in pretty much every way.

Also, wow is Triangle Strategy doing so much better than I ever would have expected given it's a game called Triangle Strategy. I will have to add it to my list for the next time I want to play a strategy rpg.

TriStrat is great. Very, very good.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

What a year it's been! One for the history books! What a season, what a season!

Things might be even more poo poo than usual out there in the real world, but by golly, there sure were a lot of great game this year!

2022 Games that I did not play but probably will enjoy: Kirby Forgotten Something, Bayernetta 3, the newest Godofwar, sonic frontiers? and probably a bunch more.

First a special award to 2023's game of 2022: Xenoblade 3! I just started this and I'm about 10 hrs in and it's great.

Now for the games that I played that did not make the list:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. This one was pretty good. The Homeworld vibes are real nice.
Aoe 4: completed the campaigns. Don't think I'll ever go back to it, but who knows.
Hitman 1,2,3: These are great! I haven't really looked at Hitman since Bloody Money, but I played trough all three via the Trilogy edition they released. Good stuff.
Doom Eternal DLC. Eh, I had to force myself trough this. I don't really like the direction they headed in with Eternal, and this is definitely further along that axis.
Yakuza 6: Finally admitted to myself that I'll probably never play the PS3 games and went to this one before starting on 7. Good game.
Persona Strikers: I really enjoyed the road trip vibes. the dynasty warriors style combat not so much.
Medal of Honor Airborne: I like this game. less than I did, but I admire how much it didn't try to be CoD.
13 Sentinels. People love this game, but to me it was more good than great. too many words.When it's good it's real good.
Dark Souls 1,2,3. I did all 3 this year. However, I cheated both the games and myself. That is to say I cheated my way trough em. Dark Souls 1 is my favourite.
Bravely Second. Finally got around to closing out this one. I liked it more as I went along, but I still prefer the first one.
Resi Village: the one with the tall vampire lady. Good stuff. I enjoyed the little twist at the end, they actually did address that thing everyone kept pointing out since 7.
SWTOR. That's right, the old MMO. I played trough the campaigns, and it was pretty good actually.
3 Houses Fire emblem. Finally got around to this as well, but I played most of it in 2019 or 2020.
Tactics Ogre Rebirth. Still early days on this one. Put it down due to:
WoW Dragonflight. Yup, they actually released a good expansion pack this time.

10. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker.

Ah, yes. Endwalker. The infamous winner of last years GOTY. Despite all the clicking trough tiny text boxes and running back forth between two quest givers for no real reason, this game still dug its claws into me just like the previous expansions did, perhaps even more so. The ending is incredible and as always the music is so wonderful and emotionally evocative. There are some songs in this one that are truly beautiful. Venat/ Hydaelyn giving you one last test before sending you on you way while "Flow" played and the walk to the final boss as your friends get taken away are two moments among many in Endwalker that will stay with me for a long time.

09. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

It’s about family, and that's what's so powerful about it. Ichiban is wonderful. The story is as wild as ever, the new cast is great, but the game drags on for too long and the combat gets a bit tedious after a while. Exploring Virtual Japan with my crew of misfits was a lot of fun and I do look forward to the next game in the series.

08. Bloodborne

Bloodborne. I did it. I finished it. I mean, I get it now. It still looks so good, I mean holey moley look at those enviroments! It still plays like a dream/nightmare. This was the first Souls game I finished, and being very bad at games, it truly felt like an accomplishment. I used the axe. Probably the best Souls game overall.

07. Return to Monkey Island.

It's in the title. After years (how many did you say?) we finally return, hoping to feel that joyful sense of exploration and wonder we did back when you typed commands into Dos prompts to start your games. Return is an incredible achievement in terms of both giving the people what they think they want and creating an seemingly personal passion project for the developers. It’s all summarized far better that I ever could in a little letter you get at the very end of the game, so if you ever loved Monkey Island, I highly recommend checking this one out. The ending is one of those that will stick with me for a long time. Oh, and it’s a real good point n click adventure game too.

06. Horizon: Forbidden West.

My favourite megabudget technical showcase of the year. Seeing this on a 4K TV with HDR is simply incredible, the detail and care put into literally every piece leaf and grass in the environment is astonishing. The story and gameplay is good too. I somehow did not get sick of knocking robot parts off mechanical dinos, even after some 70 hours. Most of the common criticisms are entirely valid though. It is bloated and repetitive. Aloy’s inner monologue telling you to do every little thing can be real annoying and the very clear sequel hook at the end of what I felt should be the end of the Aloy's story, did not fill me with much anticipation ( I’ll probably play both the DLC and the next game though). But, all in all, I really liked this game. Checklist gaming at its finest.

05. Persona 5 Royal

Finally got around to this one. I actually finished this one in early January, so it’s mostly a last year game. I still prefer the crew and setting from Persona 4, but this might be the second best game in the series for me. My personal favourite moment was after I wiped on the end boss and I felt completely done for the day, I started climbing that huge staircase and then this started playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWNG17wkr_c
And when I reached the top I was so psyched up I crushed that boss. More games should have disco inspired soundtracks imo.

04. Dragon Quest XI

I actually ended up completing four DQ games and playing dozens of hours in 3 more this year. I think this one might be my favourite, although the DS releases of IV,V and VI are really strong contenders too. It’s a turn based RPG that has stoically refused to change fundamentally since the late 80s, and sometimes, that is exactly what I want and need. Like most people, I got covid this year and this was the game I played during the week or so my brain felt like mush. I guess that sounds like a dig at the simplicity of the game, but there's something wonderfully straightforward about DQ games.

03. 𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱

What a lovely game. As all good murder mysteries, it's not really about the murder mystery, it's about the people. Very few games recently has had me violently press the "Tell me more" button harder than this game, I fell in love with this charming little village and its inhabitants (well, maybe not the miller). I don't really have anything meaningful to add to the conversation about this game other than to say that I loved this game. There are so many amazing moments, but its best to experience for yourself and maybe your game will be completely different. Both the saddest and most heartwarming game of the year.

02. Elden Ring

Ah, yes, Elden Ring. The first of these I played near its release, and it consumed me like the Scarlet Rot for a good 100 hours. In the past I have gotten bored or frustrated when playing Soulslikes and put them down, only to return later and feeling completly lost then giving up on them for good. This did not happen this time, perhaps I was caught up in the Zeitgeist or perhaps it was the open world structure that easily let me fly away on my spectral pony/goat/thing to new exiting adventures whenever I hit some barrier. I loved this beautiful, weird game.

01. Triangle Strategy.

There are certain games that are just better on a portable system. The one foremost in my mind, is the Tactics genre. Turn based tactical combat with level up mechanics just work so nice with a system you can take with you anywhere and put away just as easily. TriStrat is a game made by people who really love the genre, and it shows. While it certainly has many of the tropes of the genre, it executes them with finesse and originality. The game play feels fast and engaging, with every unit feeling unique. The story is captivating, with distinct characters that really grew on me trough the game. The graphics are great, a clear step up from previous game in the same style. The music is fantastic.
Folks, it's the best game of the year in a very strong year for games. Please clap.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

bone emulator posted:

01. Triangle Strategy.

There are certain games that are just better on a portable system. The one foremost in my mind, is the Tactics genre. Turn based tactical combat with level up mechanics just work so nice with a system you can take with you anywhere and put away just as easily. TriStrat is a game made by people who really love the genre, and it shows. While it certainly has many of the tropes of the genre, it executes them with finesse and originality. The game play feels fast and engaging, with every unit feeling unique. The story is captivating, with distinct characters that really grew on me trough the game. The graphics are great, a clear step up from previous game in the same style. The music is fantastic.
Folks, it's the best game of the year in a very strong year for games. Please clap.

Oh poo poo, TriStrat getting more love

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

luv 2 see all the rogue legacy 2 votes

Manoueverable posted:

Thanks! I've played Ky since the beta, but the recent patch didn't do him any favors so I'm in a bit of a character crisis at the moment.

may I recommend potemkin? he's great at making your friends mad

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've already gotten way too many games from this thread. Rogue Legacy 2 on Deck is really good

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wittgen posted:

Seeing Baldur's Gate make an appearance in a 2022 goty thread makes me so happy. Thank you for the cool write up on one of the big games of my childhood. You're in for a treat whenever you get around to the sequel. It takes the solid foundation built by the original and uses it to take a huge leap forward in pretty much every way.

Yeah, I always thought Triangle Strategy sounded amazingly generic (and I also keep mixing it up with the other Square RPG that's literally just lines on a map) but from the sound of these reviews I'm gonna have to put it a lot higher on my list of stuff to play next.

(and I also love Baldur's Gate :kimchi: and think you oughta get to BG2 sooner rather than later because it's a huge leap forward in pretty much every way)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m not gonna say that they couldn’t have found a better name than Triangle Strategy but honestly Square Enix released a bunch of AA games this year and stuff like The DioField Chronicles or Valkyrie Elysium didn’t fare any better despite having more traditional sounding names. At least Triangle Strategy is memorable in a “wait really that’s its name?” kind of way.

Plus there’s a lot of triads in TriStrat: three countries, three values, three modes of gameplay, etc.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Triangle Strategy as a name. Any other name would feel like it's trying way too hard. Triad Tactics? Tripath Traveler?

Triple Triad?

....wait

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

trihard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Good
1 - Severed Steel
Sometimes a game comes into existence that is perfect for you. Maybe its got just the right mechanics, just the right story, just the right #vibes to work for you. Thats Severed Steel for me. Its FEAR with more acrobatics, a glowing visually bright art style, and small compact levels so nothing ever drags. Just lots and lots of fast, frentic, extremely deadly combat as you bounce off walls, floors, and enemies. With tons of developer support I kept coming back to this game all year and every update. Has a 70 on Metacrictic so eat me reviewers. Game Pass: No

2 - League of Legends - Wild Rift
No other game has swallowed up my time like this this year. Its straight up League of Legends on a mobile device with matches that end in half of less the time of PC, with better graphics than PC and way more Quality of Life changes to make it just a superior expierience. It is still League of Legends so if playing a competitive game isn't for you, this won't be, but its the best intro to the genre that exists in my opinion. Game Pass: Yes, gives access to champions as game is Free to Play

3 - Tinykin
Pikmin without the combat and way, way more verticality and movement speed. This is not a game you'll play because it has mind bending puzzles or insane platforming or tons of optimization, its a game where you get to explore human sized rooms from a small perspective and enjoy the act of finding and exploring. The only negative I have is theres no easy way to 100% the game since the small collectibles have no easy way to find what you missed, but finishing the game is not difficult. Story gets naff but is ignorable. An absolute must play if you want a soothing, exploratory game. Game Pass: Yes, temporary

4 - Paradise Killer
Games can be made for you, right? What about a first person platforming adventure game where you play a member of a brutal death-cult seeking to figure out who killed part of the high-council right. Its not the trickiest mystery but its fun to solve, even if the fast travel mechanic is just stupid. I absolutely adore its commitment to you being a member of a horrifically evil insane cult and being fully on board with its values. Game Pass: Yes, temporary may be gone soon

5 - Pentiment
Disco Elysium's better cousin, there I said it. This adventure game puts you into the shoes of an artist trying to make their masterpiece but life is not easy for people in the Holy Roman Empire. Problematically, for me, is that since its narrative is so much better it ends up all the more crushing. The use of text is brilliant, the setting is fun and underexplored, and I give the developers an infinite amount of credit for understanding people of that era actually, you know, believed in the faith that they held and that that mattered. Game Pass: Yes, permanent

6 - Chained Echoes
A modern RPG with all the quality of life you could want. For a one person project this game is absolutely incredible and its charm and quality helps carry you through the occasional writing dips and unfocused bits. If you like JRPGs at all and you aren't playing this go re-evaluate your decision making tree next year Game Pass: Yes, temporary

7 - NORCO
Southern Gothic Horror Sci-fi adventure game set in Louisiana, made by people I know? gently caress yeah. So many great little New Orleans touches on top of an enthralling story that hooks you in hard and fast. Ending could be a little better, but it carries you all the way there eagerly. Game Pass: Yes, temporary

8 - Escape Academy
First person escape room game puzzler. Really, uh, odd plot details for how goofy and fun everything seems but it delivers on what it is. Has Co-Op so its darn good fun alone or in pairs. Has some DLC thats a little persnikety but the main game is a relatively easy/breezy romp that will challenge you in a way a theme park challenges you, which is just lovely. Game Pass: Yes, temporary

9 - Prodeus
Its a Doom knock off with some odd quirks and enemy roster balance issues, but I love Doom so you know, its still really fun for me especially with the map editor and finder included in the game adding a ton of replay to the title Game Pass: Yes, temporary

10 - This Way Madness Lies
Zeeboyd is back, with Sailor Moon + William Shakespear + Life Sim JRPG. Its really fun in that Zeboyd style with lots of cute quirks and details. Never overstays its welcome, fun mechanics, and quick gameplay. Only reason this isn't higher is because the genre is laser targeted on someone else, but for that someone I bet this is the lottery of lotteries. Game Pass: No

The Bad

No order here, just things that dissapointed me

Sekiro
The most dull and boring of Fromsofts modern out put. I picked this up because Elden Ring made me believe in Fromsoft again after I burned out on Dark Souls 3 and swore them off. This ended up being a fault of mine I guess, where I just abused extremely repetitive AI boss fights for easy wins where I clearly never really learned whatever the hell the game thought I should be doing or felt cool doing it, but it worked for me all the time. Game Pass: No

Bloodborne
14 hours and 30 minutes of bleh. Played this again to see if I would re-evaluate after Elden Ring made me believe in Fromsoft again. No, its still poo poo, I was right to wait for Elden Ring. Game Pass: No

Mario + Rabbids - Sparks of Hope
Sequel to the best game on the Switch adds random battles and grinding to pad length. Instant downgrade before discussing other mechanical changes I don't care for, absolutely infuriating. Game Pass: No

Edge of Eternity
In a year where I played a bunch of clunky not very good RPGs this stood out as awful. I basically had a live posting meltdown over it. I'm so sorry small, passionate dev team making this but it is brutally bad in so many different ways, including the final bossfight being intentionally blurry.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 30, 2022

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

1. Signalis - What can I say about Signalis that hasn't already been said? The game does a fantastic job of setting up its world, and it really dives into the references and influences that impact what the game actually is. The game itself does have flaws, but it was enough of an experience that I think that it earns the top spot on my GOTY list, even if 2 and 3 are extremely close to this one and it was really, genuinely just the vibes of the game and the music and the art style all working together excellently that helped it over.
2. Pentiment - Rope Kid did a great job with this one - the amount of love and care he has for this setting and this general game idea were wonderful and really shone through; some of the little nitpicks I have with the game or issues are otherwise excused because of how wonderfully thorough this game is with everything.
3. Tunic - A zeldalike that manages to recapture the feeling of not knowing how to read but still trying to play games anyway, with a bevvy of secrets to find. I hope they make more games, it was a really fun experience the entire way through (even if the bosses were kind of bullshit).
4. Shadows Over Loathing - The loathing boys do it again with another incredibly funny game. Top tier comedy and bits made it an enjoyable experience the entire way through.
5. Elden Ring - Most people's GOTY, I decided to knock it down a few because I thought the boss design in ER was particularly terrible. At least the pvp worked at launch this time, though the "always 2/3v1" poo poo sucks rear end and they need to stop doing it.
6. Vampire Survivors - He enjoyed himself making this and it's a fun game to see number get big. The amount of combinations helps extend the gameplay and can keep you from becoming bored as you look at the items you have available to smoosh together to grab a win.
7. Citizen Sleeper - a nice little narrative management game that I really enjoyed; the world and setting was good and I liked being able to explore the lives of the citizens that my robot boy met during his time at the space station.
8. Anno: Mutationem - The game is fine and the world itself is interesting, even if it kinda dips into some uh, dumb poo poo
9. Powerwash Sim - The most relaxing and fun work simulator I've played recently; it was incredibly satisfying just to zone out and clean some buildings.
10. Weird West - This game has a number of issues, from bugs, weird gameplay decisions, some QoL issues, and more. However, I can always appreciate when a dev team really puts some love into what they're making and this game is a good example. If you're willing to overlook a lot of the weirdness and the issues it's worth playing.

--UNORDERED GAMES--
Nobody Saves the World - fun, but nothing too special.
Two Point Campus - Very good sequel to TPH and a much more coherent game due to the experience the devs have.
Ghost Song - a fun little metroidvania.
Dorf Romantik - so relaxing~!
Prodeus - drat that's a goodass boomer shooter.
Scorn - the good: the artstyle is incredible and it's one of the strongest games I've ever played design-wise. The bad: the game itself fuckin sucks rear end and is just a pain to play. drat does the artstyle look phenomenal tho
Splatoon 3 - Nintendo make a good map challenge (impossible)
High on Life - It was fine. I can't be like.... I can't really come up with any complaints, or even compliments. It was fine. And they're smart enough not to overstay the concept, it's only like 8-10 hours long.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 30, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TriStrat had been like vaguely on my radar for years and I"m excited for when I finally get around to it.

I probably could have put a few games that have come up on my honorable mentions - I liked Nobody Saves The World pretty well (slug main), I played plenty of both Vampire Survivors and V Rising and had pretty good times with both though I don't think either got to the point of really knocking on Against The Storm's door for me, and Omega Strikes absolutely loving rules but I think if I loved it more I'd have played it more. I barely played Factorio this year but I mean, its Factorio. Scratches a very specific itch.

ethanol posted:

10) uboat - bad: technically trying to win a war for the nazis, good: best boat / life simulator
9) dcs flight simulator with $79.99 plane and $49.99 super carrier dlc: - bad: spent my life savings on this good: am now convinced icould land a real f18 on a real carrier
8) apex legends - bad: bad vehicles, good: come and get your birthday present
7) horizon forbidden world - bad: rear end creed slog good: leaf covered ruins
6) gran turismo 7 - bad: horrible multiplayer custom lobby good: pretty good
5) factorio - bad: train signals good: train signals
4) rimworld - bad: i cant get anywhere without being wiped off the planet by one shot kill enemies good: i am now making vat born demigod babies
3) kerbal space program - bad: hard to tell which biome youre in good: got to the moon faster than nasa
2) sekiro - bad: too easy really, was easy for me, good: i am the wolf
1) elden ring - bad: i haven't beat it yet. good: i have more to do
goty: death stranding 2 trailer

I love that I feel like I can tell so much about you from such a short write up, mostly by the inclusion of DCS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grapplejack posted:

2. Pentiment - Rope Kid did a great job with this one - the amount of love and care he has for this setting and this general game idea were

Were what, Grapplejack? WERE WHAT!?!?! :gonk:

bone emulator posted:

I fell in love with this charming little village and its inhabitants (well, maybe not the miller).

I hated the Miller so much that I avoided any interaction with him (his family are cool though, and he's got a dog!) in my first playthrough. Second time around, I took him up on an offer to go hunting and I recommend everybody do the same if only to understand that you should really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate the motherfucker, that piece of poo poo, that little bullshit man.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tulip posted:

TriStrat had been like vaguely on my radar for years and I"m excited for when I finally get around to it.

I probably could have put a few games that have come up on my honorable mentions - I liked Nobody Saves The World pretty well (slug main), I played plenty of both Vampire Survivors and V Rising and had pretty good times with both though I don't think either got to the point of really knocking on Against The Storm's door for me, and Omega Strikes absolutely loving rules but I think if I loved it more I'd have played it more. I barely played Factorio this year but I mean, its Factorio. Scratches a very specific itch.

I love that I feel like I can tell so much about you from such a short write up, mostly by the inclusion of DCS.

i can tell you everything about him

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tosk posted:

10. Stellaris
8. SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
7. Dark Souls 2
6. Pillars of Eternity
5. Yakuza 0
4. Baldur's Gate 1
3. TES III: Morrowind
2. Dark Souls Remastered
1. Elden Ring

at least 7 out of your 10 are among my favorites of all time, god drat what a year of games you've had.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Most of my gaming was on playstation this year. In '23 I wanna to catch up on some 2022 switch (already used an xmas giftcard on mario rabbids 2 and trying to decided if I should brave pokemon or try XBC3 with the other) and PC (well, mostly Victoria 3 since the other big stuff I was interested in is in EA) games.

10. Tunic: I hate the combat in this game so much (it should have just been 2d Zelda combat!!) so it's a testament to how good everything else is that it makes the list. I think of the game often. The manual gimmick works perfectly as both a puzzle and a nostalgia trip to being a kid looking through NES/SNES manuals. Shame that's all gone away now.

9. FF: Stranger of Paradise: C'mon, they made a goofy FF1 prequel where you play the villain. And it works.

8. Furi: Stylish as hell boss rush game. Great voice acting in between. This is from 2016 and I had avoided it for whatever reason because I was under the impression that it was going to be too hard. The game is actually pretty forgiving due to the methods you have of getting life back. Whenever I played it I entered a zone in which I was completely engaged with the game and saw nothing else.

7. Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters: I'm not much of a warhammer fan and only a lukearm xcom fan but this game just feels so good to play. 100% accuracy and numerous ways to generate AP means you're just smashing through dudes (and walls) non-stop. Extremely satisfying even as it eventually becomes repetitive. The last boss is an Everest-sized difficulty spike and of course I was playing on iron man, so, canonically, Nurgle won.

6. Tactics Ogre: Reborn: I loved Ogre Battle as a kid but never got to play this. Until now. It has some SNES-era jank, but it holds up remarkably well. The writing is better than the vast majority of games that came after. It intentionally makes it hard to have super powered units like in FFT. Your squad must always fight as a team.

5. Inscryption: Enthralled for the few days this took to beat. Yeah, the last part absolutely does not match the first part but given my list includes a '95 remaster, 2 games harkening back to the 80s, and multiple others aping already-established gameplay styles, it was a pleasure playing something that felt new. Though thinking it over, it does this by rehashing several older styles.

4. Elden Ring: Not quite the best game ever as some claim. I prefer most of the other From games and hope they don't stick to open world given the game's success. But. It's still so good for so long. As a fat-roller supreme, it has the best heavy armor / colossal weapon / tower shield play of the games too.

3. Vampire Survivors: I play a lot of games but there's only a few single player games I return to again and again. I already know this is one. So addicting, so replayable. Many years ago, when I was in highschool, I thought I might become a coder because I liked video games. Luckily, taking programming classes cured me of that. But in one class, when I was supposed to be doing something else, I swear I made a proto-vampire survivors one-stick shooter with copious skeletons and meta progression....

2. Signalis: Great holes secretly are digged where earth's pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl.

I love PS1 survival horror and I guess they had to go dormant for 20+ years for us to have this. Creepy atmosphere, intriguing story, low ammo, and several ludicrously shaped keys. All the good stuff.

1. Snowrunner: Snowrunner is the most immersive game I've every played. Just mud, ice, snow, and hubris. The height of video game storytelling isn't the clever plot twist in a VN or even cresting the next hill in Elden Ring, it's getting my truck stuck in the mud and then when I try to rescue it, getting a 2nd truck stuck in the mud.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Barudak posted:

The Good
1 - Severed Steel
Sometimes a game comes into existence that is perfect for you. Maybe its got just the right mechanics, just the right story, just the right #vibes to work for you. Thats Severed Steel for me. Its FEAR with more acrobatics, a glowing visually bright art style, and small compact levels so nothing ever drags. Just lots and lots of fast, frentic, extremely deadly combat as you bounce off walls, floors, and enemies. With tons of developer support I kept coming back to this game all year and every update. Has a 70 on Metacrictic so eat me reviewers. Game Pass: No

Never even heard of this game and it looks COOL AS HELL!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Will repost with writeups later

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 30, 2022

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

External Organs posted:

Never even heard of this game and it looks COOL AS HELL!

Agreed! This may be the movement shooter I play in 2023! (sorry, Doom 2016, I promise I'll get back to you someday)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My List for 2022

10. Per Aspera
You're an AI tasked with terraforming Mars. This game is kind of busted and messy; there are underexplained mechanics, janky logistics, and a story mode where randos constantly grab hold of the camera to yack at you, when all you wanna do is terraform. But I put up with it, because the overall simulation is so fun: crunchy enough to be engaging, simple enough that I can actually understand it. The only thing missing is a Civ-V-style timelapse where I can watch the forests spread in fast-forward.

9. StarCraft: Brood War
I finally got around to finishing the campaign for this this year. It rules. SC2's campaign gets a lot of compliments for having fun, varied missions, but I also played through that and it's too gimmicky, every mission is organised around one cool unit. Brood War is constantly pushing you, placing limitations on you. Figure out how to defend from air attacks; defend against mixed Zerg-Terran forces; attack Protoss bases without losing all your Ultras/Overlords to mind control; grab as much land as you can in eight minutes. It never explains how you do any of these things, just throws them at you, and you figure it out or you suffer.

8. Hades
This game originally made my list as the early-access version in 2019. I didn't put it up in '20 because I honestly didn't play it a whole lot in that year, but some time around September I got the itch and went back to my save to 100% the thing. What a game. Just perfection. I got in the habit of doing one run per day, it was sort of meditative (and my right thumb couldn't take much more than that). Some of the quest design is pretty frustrating - just let me tell Poseidon I beat up super-Theseus! - but I cannot wait for Lades.

7. Into the Breach: Advanced Edition
Funnily enough, I got back into ItB a couple weeks before they announced the big update. Anyway, it's great. This game sucks me in in such a way that I start seeing the gridlines wherever I go, and the update just gives it more everything. It's basically perfect.

6. Total Warhammer 3
This game had a pretty rough launch in February, and then another one of the series' trademark super-updates in August, when they added in the three-game hypercampaign with like 90 playable factions, and a colossal variety of gameplay mechanics, rosters, victory conditions, etc. Man, when was the last time I did a Skryre campaign? I am going to play this game for the next 10 years.

5. Horizon: Forbidden West
I played this for like three days, then put it down for two months so I could hear the Good News about the frenzied flame, then got back in hardcore. A lot has been said about this game as the epitome of aggressively frictionless gaming, and there's truth in that, but it doesn't stop it from being a tremendous achievement. The basic robot-fighting mechanic has been totally reworked into a monster-hunter-lite type thing which interweaves your fighting style with the economy. The world has this fantastic sense of place, and I strongly recommend new players do what I did and forbid themselves from fast-travelling; you really get to know your way around, and choose your quests more strategically, when you can't just zip around freely. I might be biased because I swapped to the new ~~OLED~~ halfway through, but it's also just astonishingly beautiful. Distractingly so. Man.

4. Anno 1800
God, this game. It's a city-builder, except you have five simultaneous maps, each with a dozen or so islands, all dependent on each other's resources for growth. I spent like a week, an entire week, redoing every canal and every farm in Ethiopia, so I could maximise output and start shipping their international students all the luxury goods they demand. And I loved every minute of it. This January I shall be building a dam, and finally setting up my transregional mail service.
There's also a board-game version I played, which is a lot of fun.

3. Elden Ring
C'mon.

2. Frostpunk
I played the demo for IXION back in February, which left me jonesing for a hostile city-builder, so I figured I should finally play the big one. Man, this game rules. It gets around the normal pitfalls of the genre by subjecting you to mounting, catastrophic pressure. Building up your town and upgrading your industries isn't something you do for the sake of it; you do it because you're going to die if you fall behind the curve. I did something I rarely do with games like this, and completed every last one of the scenarios. Each of them is just such a good twist on the formula, from The Vaults (use robots to supplement your low-population science outpost) to the Fall of Winterhome (try to salvage a mid-game city after the previous governer screwed it up) to The Last Autumn (stick to the company's schedule without pissing off the workers). It's a game that really lends itself to replaying, too. I'm not quite finished with it yet.

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
I started playing this last December, but only properly got into it with the new year, so it counts! Anyway, this game led me to realise that I don't actually like all the build options and diversity of experience that people get out of From games. I just like picking one thing, and Getting Good at it, and this game is designed for exactly that impulse. There are Souls bosses that, when I beat them, leave me thinking that I sort of blundered through, or got lucky, or was overlevelled. But Sekiro, oh man, I earned those wins. Especially Father Owl. When I finished Sekiro, I immediately went into NG+ and replayed like the first 1/4 of the game without dying. It just rewires your brain, to the point where you don't really make decisions during the fights. Your eyes and ears and hands just talk to each other directly, while your conscious self sits back and watches.

Honourable mentions go to God of War Ragnarok (incomplete, probably gonna show up on next year's list), The Witcher 3 (finished the main story but haven't started the DLC, ditto next year), and Ixion (lots of problems, but I couldn't put it down for the three days it took to finish, so clearly it's got something going on).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ultrachrist posted:

8. Furi: Stylish as hell boss rush game. Great voice acting in between. This is from 2016 and I had avoided it for whatever reason because I was under the impression that it was going to be too hard. The game is actually pretty forgiving due to the methods you have of getting life back. Whenever I played it I entered a zone in which I was completely engaged with the game and saw nothing else.

Furi is so loving good, I still regularly listen to the soundtrack and the next game by that studio, Haven, rapidly jumped into a fav of mine despite having zero in common in terms of mechanics, being only similar in aesthetics and storytelling.

Genuinely I love the story telling in Furi on top of it having just incredible mechanics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only thing I might mention about Severed Steel is there is a gameplay modifier called "Flow Like Water". It allows every movement maneuver to link into every other. It makes the game much easier, since you're prepetually stunting, but it might make the game flow even smoother for you since you are, you know, perpetually stunting.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Were what, Grapplejack? WERE WHAT!?!?! :gonk:

I hated the Miller so much that I avoided any interaction with him (his family are cool though, and he's got a dog!) in my first playthrough. Second time around, I took him up on an offer to go hunting and I recommend everybody do the same if only to understand that you should really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate the motherfucker, that piece of poo poo, that little bullshit man.

whoops I got distracted while writing my little thing, I updated it. Also I never saw that scene with the Miller, There's so much of this game I never saw and that's kind of amazing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Tulip posted:

Furi is so loving good, I still regularly listen to the soundtrack and the next game by that studio, Haven, rapidly jumped into a fav of mine despite having zero in common in terms of mechanics, being only similar in aesthetics and storytelling.

Genuinely I love the story telling in Furi on top of it having just incredible mechanics.

what is the next game by that studio??

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ultrachrist posted:

I played this earlier this year (literally like a month ago) and I can confirm it rules.

Did you get it from 2016 because it was a ps+ game? I did too. I finally beat it for the first time this year, when I got halfway through the first time I played it way back in 2016. I might do it again on ps5 next year with the new onimusha dlc.

Seriously folks, Furi rules. It's a pretty intense boss rush game but tis not overly so. It really does demand you pay attention to and utilize its mechanics (which there's only a handful to know) but when you do you'll feel like a master warrior.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kazzah posted:

2. Frostpunk
It's a game that really lends itself to replaying, too. I'm not quite finished with it yet.

Huh, I got the complete opposite from it. I absolutely loved the one playthrough I finished but most of my interest was seeing what was going to happen. Once you get past that awesome "boss" event, there's nothing new to see.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well the 29th is almost over and I have to face the music: I'm not getting God of War done in time for the end of the year. Just not enough hours in the day, and it's a really big game. Tomorrow I'll make up my list without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kerrzhe posted:

what is the next game by that studio??

Haven. The name of the studio is The Game Bakers